Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Is this our first "game-change" reference of the new season? Should we start a tally?

I only have so many fingers and toes.

But I'm positive this game changing episode will be epic! And quite possibly feature Emmy-worthy acting. 

Edited by quarks
  • Love 17

Would Barry's dad dying be a game-changer? I feel like no. Even Joe dying wouldn't really be. Ronnie? Maybe? I mean, Victor Garber will just get a new guy to bond with, and it definitely wouldn't be game-changing on either Flash or Arrow, as he was a fairly minor character there.

Just like Laurel isn't going anywhere, Felicity isn't either. 

I'm just as tired of and exasperated by the speculation that LL is leaving the show (a new theory being championed by the same person behind the wedding spec last season) as I am of all the Felicity will be Gwen Stacy-ed comments. Just stop. Ugh.

• Love 5

I'm just as tired of and exasperated by the speculation that LL is leaving the show (a new theory being championed by the same person behind the wedding spec last season) as I am of all the Felicity will be Gwen Stacy-ed comments. Just stop. Ugh.

Same. I don't think Laurel or Felicity dying is out of the question, but if one of them does, that death will be incredibly short-lived, and they'll come back somehow. 

I don't even care at this point what the possible game change is. I'm just happy to have Oliver and Barry together because I really enjoy the vibe of their scenes. Throw in Cisco touching things and Oliver will be in full grumpy cat mode. Amuse me, show.

• Love 10

I think she's an okay actress, I just don't think the part of Laurel is for her. I also think she does better when she doesn't have to work any kind of nuance into her performance. Being flat-out happy, or flat-out a bitch, or whatever works better for her. She doesn't do well with emotional nuances or subtlety, IMO.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 19

We weren't talking about the rest of the cast, though. Everyone else worked fine over on The Flash, and was recognizable as their character. Laurel wasn't, really. 

I think it comes down to Laurel having highly emotional arcs and KC not being able to navigate through them all that well, and not-so-great writing for her character. Put her on another show where she gets to be a completely different person (or a completely different Laurel), and it works. Maybe they'll allow her to emerge from the pit of despair over on Arrow a few times this year, although...IDK, it'd probably come off a little, "who is this person?" kind of like it did over on Flash.

Coming from twitter and honestly I feel like SA might be a bit of an idiot. God bless him as Arrow but I really wish he'd stick to promoting the show and network and not wade into other social topics on twitter.

Every time I read dumb things he says about the 'Ahmed clock' situation or how he left a restaurant because of Miley Cyrus and how degrading that is for his daughter, it makes me want to hurl something at him or better yet get Dr.Evil to enact his shushing on him.

Cute and talented only takes you so far before your words become grating and frankly I don't find him the most attractive or talented of the cast anyway. Le sigh.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2

To me it really felt like KC was playing KC, not Laurel. I mean, yeah it was nice to see her happier, but it didn't feel like LL.

As far as Arrow characters appearing on Flash, I thought Felicity was pretty badly handled on her last appearance, personally. That episode with Ray, whatever the name of it was.

• Love 9

I think that episode is called "The One Where Felicity Plays a 50-Year-Old Former Texas Beauty Queen."

Yeah, I didn't watch it, obviously, since I'm bored by The Flash and loathe the Cane Toad. But I read dialogue, and she came across as really super gross with the whole "my bf gives it to me gooooood."

And yes, it would annoy me if Oliver were the boyfriend instead of the Cane Toad. I don't so much mind when she says that kind of thing in front of Digg or Roy or Sara, but the Flash crew (PLUS a world famous frigging scientist) are not her super close friends. Caitlin, maybe, but not Harrison-frigging-Wells). And usually her sexual comments are unintentional. That was totally intentional.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 4

As far as Arrow characters appearing on Flash, I thought Felicity was pretty badly handled on her last appearance, personally. That episode with Ray, whatever the name of it was.

I don't disagree, but I still felt like she was Felicity. I just didn't recognize her so much around Ray, but that was an issue on Arrow, too.

• Love 4

I find it amusing how a social media misstep has blacklisted Amell. I don't agree with him, but I imagine he felt as though his own needed to be defended. He made a mistake. Exasperated it. He didnt beat his wife or kid.

Besides being a relatively good-looking white guy who hasn't faced much diversity and was embraced because of his abs, he is generally tongue-bathed for simple actions like removing his shirt. Maybe we should not expect deep and meaningful if we are content with superficial.

He would have faced (I'm not comfortable with that word in this context frankly) tons of diversity, he was lucky enough to be born and raised in Toronto. Arguably the MOST diverse city in North America. He has no excuses.

He did go to a pretty whitebread school though.  That would have limited his worldview somewhat.

I'm just going to think of him as a jock with a good heart but not that much filter between thoughts and typing.

In the Flash episode, Felicity was the pod-Felicity that she became around Ray but it was the same pod-Felicity on both shows.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

I don't disagree, but I still felt like she was Felicity. I just didn't recognize her so much around Ray, but that was an issue on Arrow, too.

I felt like she was a caricatured version of herself during most of the episode, tbh, not just around Ray. She had a moment or two with Barry that she felt like herself to me, but mostly I had a hard time with most of her characterization in that episode.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 9

In the Flash episode, Felicity was the pod-Felicity that she became around Ray but it was the same pod-Felicity on both shows.

I give kudos to EBR for the fact that they actually achieved pod-consistency, because The Flash was kinda writing S1 Felicity, on top of the episodes being out of order.

But at least Felicity's scenes with Barry were A+.

We weren't talking about the rest of the cast, though. Everyone else worked fine over on The Flash, and was recognizable as their character. Laurel wasn't, really.

I think it comes down to Laurel having highly emotional arcs and KC not being able to navigate through them all that well, and not-so-great writing for her character. Put her on another show where she gets to be a completely different person (or a completely different Laurel), and it works. Maybe they'll allow her to emerge from the pit of despair over on Arrow a few times this year, although...IDK, it'd probably come off a little, "who is this person?" kind of like it did over on Flash.

No, we weren't but I said that to show why it never bothered me. The same rings true for her ability to play dramatic arcs

Arrow & Agent Carter writers Marc Guggenheim & Tara Butters at LongBeach Comic Expo

This video is from the Mar. 1, 2015 Long Beach Comic Expo (fyi, MG & TB also attended a Long Beach Comic Con on Sep. 12-13, 2015).  I found the following three responses by MG particularly interesting...

1.  A fan commented on how they've taken a lot of liberty with Arrow and how they've created whole new things that were never part of the GA canon, and she asked about their working relationship with DC. - 

MG: "With respect to Arrow, it's probably more a function of the fact that, you know, Green Arrow may be well known as a character, but the canon's not that well known, in the sense that - the canon's pretty thin... You got billionaire, you know, playboy, marooned on an island, comes back, basically fights crime as Robin Hood. No supporting characters really to speak of.  An origin story that's been re-interpreted so many times that the canon's sorta gotten a little mushy, a little watered down - which is where we get to come in and do our own thing.  Whereas Batman, Superman, Spiderman - the more, quite frankly, A-list characters, you have a lot less leeway... If you're doing Spiderman, Uncle Ben's gotta die. When we said, 'okay, you know what, Moira's alive', no one cared, even though Moira's dead in the comics. So it's a different - part of it's that... We sort of have periodic check-ins with DC, where we give them sorta big 30,000 feet pitches on 'okay, this is what the next'- you know, we always begin with this is what the year's going to be. And then, you know, as we go through the year, we're like, 'okay, let us give you the next five episodes with a little bit more refinement'. Um, and, it's been great and, to answer the last part of your question, the comics have slowly started to reflect  - you know, they've introduced Felicity in the comics, they've introduced Diggle in the comic books. The tone of Arrow has gotten reflected. So it's become like a synergistic, you know, symbiotic type of relationship."

2.  A fan asked about being able to use or not use DC characters. -

MG: "In addition to our periodic plot, story meetings with DC - probably like twice a year, we'll sit down with DC and we'll say, 'okay,' ... They have a list of characters they'd like us to use, and we have a list of characters that we'd like to use, and there's actually a fair amount of overlap, or more overlap than you might expect. At the same time, I think, they know what characters kinda work best on Arrow, and we know what characters in the canon are probably more about - I don't walk in and say, 'hey, I want to use Lex Luthor'. I know Lex Luthor's not available... Ray Palmer was originally supposed to be Ted Kord. We wanted a character like Brandon's character - someone smart, someone tech-based. Our original inclination was Ted Kord, and DC's like, 'no, we've got plans for that character'. They said, 'what about Ray Palmer?' Great. So sometimes it's a little bit of horse trading, just discussions back and forth."

3.  A fan asked what MG thought draws fans to the Oliver & Felicity relationship and how he maps out the progression of that relationship, not knowing how many seasons they have to go and not knowing actors' contracts and things like that. -

MG: "You know, it's funny. I don't think we anticipated the level of passion for a lot of the relationships on the show, um, certainly Oliver and Felicity is the one that comes up the most. We were a little surprised... I think it's fantastic, and I don't know what fuels it... I'm just glad that there is that kind of passion. (Tara: "It's just chemistry.") Yeah, it is chemistry. We really - we didn't have a plan, except there was so much chemistry between Stephen and Emily. Um, though I also say, like, I defy you to put Emily in a scene with anyone else and have her not have chemistry with someone... It's a cool, fun thing.  In terms of mapping it out, I would say the relationships on the show are probably the least mapped out part of the show.  We sorta pride ourselves on thinking in advance and, you know, I always call it planting flags, stuff that will pay off, you know, two, three years down the road. The relationships are something we do a lot less planning on, quite frankly. And we sorta feel our way through it and feel what feels right for the characters and the moment. I think that's what makes it so fluid and unpredictable because it's probably the least predictable part of the show for us."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

I don't know why, but I like PB and I want the writers to do right by his character in s4 - esp after they intentionally destroyed his character for dumb plot reasons in s3. So if that means a buffer and more action based QL, I'm game.

• Love 1