Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

He's the only regular cast member I really dislike--he's self-centered and defensive.  I wonder if he's going to enlist the other cast members to defend him from the mean fans this time.

His defensiveness makes me think that he/the writers didn't expect viewers to turn so hard against the newbies. 

Edited by thegirlsleuth
  • Love 10

If they didn’t expect or want the reaction they got then something is seriously wrong with their script writing. I don’t see how they could’ve possibly thought fans would seriously struggle to choose between OTA and NoTA.  

• Love 16

I am sure Stephen wasnt pleased when last season fans were using #RIPOliverQueen under anytime he would talk about the show. If you gonna engage  with the fandom (i really would not on a platform like twitter) the fans are gonna tell you their thoughts. You just need to explain the POV of your character. 

• Love 4

He shouldn't engage the fandom but isn't this Mica person a known nutjob who picks fights with everyone? At least that's what I've heard.

BTW he I right, Rene was kidnapped which is why he missed the hearing to get his daughter back. People should really have their facts straight before attacking others

Edited by Morrigan2575

Yeah, he's right about that. But the way he responds is not. He could've just said "He was kidnapped so he missed the hearing" but his "Ugh never mind, why do I even bother?" attitude isn't a good way to talk to fans. Even if they are annoying. I totally get being frustrated but there's a way to talk to people on social media and IMO he's not doing it properly. 

• Love 9

I get that he's feeling defensive - people hating on your character can't be fun. Responding is fine, but maybe don't with the "why do I even bother" and the facepalm emoji. Just correct the person you've decided you want to reply to, or leave it alone. That being said, make sure you have your facts straight before you go in on someone, haha. 

I kind of want to ask him what he thinks the situation is here - because Rene obviously feels guilty about what he did, because he got Curtis to try and undo it. So, if he feels bad, he knows he did something wrong - why exactly does Rene feel like he deserves Oliver's trust at this point? I know that's more of a question for the writers, but he seems more likely to respond than they do, and maybe someone gave him some convoluted insight into whatever in the hell they were trying to go for (assuming they know what they were going for, which maybe they don't). 

• Love 4

It’s easy to be gracious towards people who tell him he or his character are wonderful. It’s a lot more telling how you handle attacks or criticism. JH for example in the past replied to fans that attacked her (not just her character) in a polite manner just like she replies to her fans in a polite matter. 

• Love 6

How is no one talking about Carly Pope offering to interview him? I LOL'd

I'm amazed that Echo and him seem to honestly believe the Newbies are understandable and sympathetic here. 

• Love 4

He such pissy little whiny baby so his character works well for him. I mean I decided to write the guy off when he went on full attack mode then got almost the entire cast to go into attack mode because someone rather imo respectfully pointed out that his quote about the sexual harassment suit against Kreisberg came off like apologist of Kreisberg and he went full on Jerk defensive.

He came into the show acting like his character was worth the same amount of popularity and fame as Oliver/Stephen gets out divine right that it must suck that people kind of border on indifference or outright hate of his character. Sucks to be Rick ?‍♀️

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Wait, what? 

CP replied to one of his tweets saying a 'lass with sass' should interview him.

4 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Me too. Susan Williams wouldn't have ever actually had that interview though, because she was terrible at her job.

I could see her getting that interview. "Hey Rene you and I are in the same boat. I was getting ready to expose him too when my career was destroyed by his girls. Let's have drinks."

Rene and her would bond over being the 'wronged' party.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I could see her getting that interview. "Hey Rene you and I are in the same boat. I was getting ready to expose him too when my career was destroyed by his girls. Let's have drinks."

Oh I could see her getting the interview, I was just joking that she wouldn't have followed through because she was always missing when the big stuff happened in Star City.

• Love 3

Rick was right about Rene missing the hearing but there were a ton of other replies there that didn't have mistakes and that raised valid issues from the ep that he could have responded to. He picked the two ones he could dismiss and kinda use as an example "look, the Arrow fans are nitwits they have their facts wrong, facepalm me." 

• Love 10

I thought she was at Slamdance? Isn't Sindance in Aspen and she's in SLC? Very cool if it is for Sundance, I'd love it if this movie made the festival.

PS how do you guys post stuff from Instagram?

Edited by Morrigan2575
2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I thought she was at Slamdance? Isn't Sindance in Aspen and she's in SLC? Very cool if it is for Sundance, I'd love it if this movie made the festival.

PS how do you guys post stuff from Instagram?

sundance and slamdance are at the same location. Ken the pap guy is in Salt Lake also. 

The instagram embeds by itself when you post the link. 

Thanks. Every time I try to copy an Instagram link I only get the option to embed which doesn't work. Hmm will have to investigate how to just copy a link. As you can tell I don't spend much time on Instagram.

Ah-hah! Got it, I have to use the app, now I see a copy link option. ??

Edited by Morrigan2575
6 hours ago, Chaser said:

I'm amazed that Echo and him seem to honestly believe the Newbies are understandable and sympathetic here. 

I know it's their job to protect their character and take their side, but I'd love to know if any of the newbz read the script and was like, I am being an asshole here. But really, if they're going to engage at all, it would probably be best to do the old - keep watching to see what happens! Defending their character's dickish behavior just makes them look like a dick, too, and they don't have Barrowman's charm to play it off. 

• Love 9

Echo might not get how the tide has turned against Curtis. He was well-received in S4 as Felicity's employee. That began changing only last year when he became the most useless character ever. Rick IMO is just defensive all the time because he started off as arguably the most disliked newbie. 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
added arguably
  • Love 10

I know it's their job to defend their character but there are times when SA has said that Oliver is being a dick when his character was.

If Echo realizes that his character is being a whiny baby, he needs to talk about Curtis' sense of loss, giving up his marriage to be on the team and feeling betrayed now that they don't trust him. It would also be helpful if he could address the nanites in the blueberry pancakes last season and why Curtis feels that this is worse.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Echo might not get how the tide has turned against Curtis. He was well-received in S4 as Felicity's employee. That began changing only last year when he became the most useless character ever. Rick IMO is just defensive all the time because he started off as arguably the most disliked newbie. 

In S4 he was a recurring character that we only got in small doses. From S5 onwards he was there all the time in the lair and in the field and a little bit of Curtis goes a looong way.  

It didn’t help that they had to take away from Felicity’s skill set in order to give him something to do. 

• Love 11

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and your photo ops, @SleepDeprived! You're a fandom hero!! :D

Also, I loved reading about your experience with David, because that's how I approached him for a hug too, by telling him that I heard he gave the best hugs. I think he takes it as a challenge, because then he gave me the biggest, tightest hug ever, lol.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1

Thanks for the recap! Interesting.  I just bought a ticket for HVFF Chicago and it's combined with Walker Stalker so your comment on it being more crowded is too bad.  I bought on a whim because I saw tickets for half off and thought "why not?" But I'm probably going by myself and I can't decide whether to plop down $80 for an SA photo op or not and hope there is enough going on without that and that I can wander around by myself without feeling weird and out of place. I've only been to two fan conventions in the past (XFiles and another comic con in Chicago) but never alone. Oh well! Guess I'll find out!  I was a walking dead fan so at least I'll be amongst my peeps. 

20 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I find that guy really arrogant. I wonder how much of the character is the script and how much his own personality. 

I especially wonder how that came to play in his line to her in the season opener, the one that was something like "Nobody asked your opinion, Blondie".  It was the most intensely hostile reading.  I just wonder how much was scripted vs his interpretation.  

17 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

He shouldn't engage the fandom but isn't this Mica person a known nutjob who picks fights with everyone? At least that's what I've heard.

BTW he I right, Rene was kidnapped which is why he missed the hearing to get his daughter back. People should really have their facts straight before attacking others

I swear that there was a previous meeting that he did blow off or did he just plan to blow it off and Quentin talked him out of it only for him to get kidnapped?  It still feels like there was something early on when he was getting help with his daughter.  

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I especially wonder how that came to play in his line to her in the season opener, the one that was something like "Nobody asked your opinion, Blondie".  It was the most intensely hostile reading.  I just wonder how much was scripted vs his interpretation.  

I swear that there was a previous meeting that he did blow off or did he just plan to blow it off and Quentin talked him out of it only for him to get kidnapped?  It still feels like there was something early on when he was getting help with his daughter.  

Yeah he missed one meeting because he was kidnapped but he also blew off or pushed back on other attempts to get his daughter back initiated by Lance prior to that meeting which was why Lance jumped to Rene is being a douche and missing meetings rather then 'ZOMG Something must have happened to Rene'. So Rick and Rene can miss me with the sympathetic  father act.  

• Love 3