Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Question: if and when a character is being written off a show, how do they communicate it to the actor? Do they tell them in person? 

Graham Yost said that he tries to tell the actors about it before they get the script that kills them off.  (That would be 2 - 3 weeks before shooting.)  He forgot to tell Margo Martindale that her characters was being killed off on Justified, and when she got the script, she sent him an F.U. picture. He uses it as his desktop on his computer to remind himself not to make that mistake again.

• Love 3

I think it would be very hard on the actors to receive tweets like these.  We the fans are so anxious to have them respond when we send them something but we rarely think about that they have to read garbage like that.  I wonder if it would have helped or made it worse if KC had told the troller she was muting him/her.

EBR comes across as relatively self-confident but weight and age is a big trigger for actresses.  Kim Catrall (Sex In The City) has said that she's been on a diet for 30 years straight.  I saw Molly Parker (Deadwood, House of Cards) in a play this week, and from thirty rows back, I could count her ribs through the V-neck of her sweater. Not her collar, but her actual ribs.

• Love 1

Its funny to hear how actors find out about their demise on shows. I think it depends on the show. But a phone call or personal visit is common. I remembering reading about one of the deaths on Scandal and they say that Shonda calls or tells them personally. A lot of the cast have mentioned they get nervous when they see Shonda come across their caller ID or they have to return a message to Shonda. The Games of Thrones cast have mentioned that they flip through scripts to make sure they're still alive. The last season of GoT DVD extras even had a roundtable with all the season's departed, that was a nice thing to watch and get their perspective on how it felt to be part of the show & how it felt to be killed off. The Lost cast would check with the EPs before they made any major purchases like a house in Hawaii (where it filmed). I think it also depends on if your show is known for killing off people. A show like GoT, I can imagine no actor feeling confident that they won't be killed off. Arrow has killed off at least 1 major cast member every season, so I imagine that towards the end of the season everyone but SA must feel that they might be a possibility. Although I think this year, if there are any other major deaths they will not be permanent.

Weight is a huge problem in Hollywood especially among actresses, and EBR has even stated something like she did eat for 3 days or somesuch for that black dress she wore on The Flash. She's not immune either sadly. 

*I use Hollywood in the general term of film/tv/etc work.

I'm glad that person's Twitter was suspended, but it's all too easy to just open another account. One of the huge downsides of social media is how easy it is to attack someone virtually.

• Love 1

What is the ProAna stuff that people are talking about? Is it just the suspended account that was talking about it?

I had to look it up - it's a pro-anorexia stance as I understand it. Which. I can't even.

• Love 3

I had to look it up - it's a pro-anorexia stance as I understand it. Which. I can't even.

Thanks for looking it up. I thought it might have had to do with his fiancee which would have been petty. But a pro-anorexia stance, I can't even believe that, well the sad thing is I can believe people would be that horrible. I just wish the world was not as sad/horrible as it is somedays. Now Im even more happy that Twitter suspended the account. The less that is on social media the better, its hard enough for people these days, esp women to deal with social pressures of weight, we don't need stuff like that on social media toxifying the air.

• Love 1

The account was suspended.  Thank you Twitter.  I, too was bothered by the proAna talk as someone whose daughter was effected by that in the past.  You just don't know what people who see stuff like that are going to self-project. 

Points for Twitter. Nice to know that they will step in occasionally.  I assume they got more than a few complaints about the account.  It's encouraging that they did something even if it is easy to start another one up.  Still, that means if they pull the same crap they can be shut down again. 

• Love 2

First of all, people who think EBR is fat should get their eyes checked. In what universe is that fat? Sometimes I really want to see the people behind those comments. 

Who gives you the right to talk about people you don't know that way?! Secondly, she is a young woman and nobody knows whether or not stuff like that hits home or not. She might take it seriously and struggle with these idiotic comments. Hopefully she knows that she has nothing to worry about.

Secondly (and maybe this should go on the spoiler thread)

loloblove asked:
There's a fan theory floating around about colors on the show and their ties to certain people (ie Felicity wearing red for Oliver, blue for Ray). Any truth to this?
It’s not intentional on our part, but I can’t deny the pattern.

They don't do that intentionally but there is a pattern? So does someone in the clothing department do it intentionally? Because if the pattern exists someone behind the scenes has to create a pattern. 

• Love 3

It's funny because I almost guarantee that the wardrobe department does do that intentionally. Of course they do. Ray is almost always in blue; Felicity is often in blue in episodes that are important for their relationship. This season, she has often been in dark pinks and reds in pivotal Olicity moments. It may be nothing more than an aesthetic choice, I guess. But that would be kind of a surprise to me, because it's a very well-known and commonly-used technique for wardrobe/prod design/directors, to use color in wardrobe to signal things. Often couples will be dressed in shades of the same color when they are in sync and begin to wear opposing colors when they are in conflict. (I mean, it's definitely easy to overstate this too--not that every outfit a character wears has deeper meaning, of course.)

In 316, the first scene Felicity wears the blue dress, Ray is also in blue, and PT has a lot of blue in the set design/lighting. So when she is still in the blue dress in the lair, it still connects her to Ray, it's a reminder that she has ties elsewhere. MG may be unaware that his wardrobe department is making decisions that way, but I highly doubt that they put no thought into it at all.

• Love 11

It's funny because I almost guarantee that the wardrobe department does do that intentionally. Of course they do. Ray is almost always in blue; Felicity is often in blue in episodes that are important for their relationship. This season, she has often been in dark pinks and reds in pivotal Olicity moments. It may be nothing more than an aesthetic choice, I guess. But that would be kind of a surprise to me, because it's a very well-known and commonly-used technique for wardrobe/prod design/directors, to use color in wardrobe to signal things. Often couples will be dressed in shades of the same color when they are in sync and begin to wear opposing colors when they are in conflict. (I mean, it's definitely easy to overstate this too--not that every outfit a character wears has deeper meaning, of course.)

In 316, the first scene Felicity wears the blue dress, Ray is also in blue, and PT has a lot of blue in the set design/lighting. So when she is still in the blue dress in the lair, it still connects her to Ray, it's a reminder that she has ties elsewhere. MG may be unaware that his wardrobe department is making decisions that way, but I highly doubt that they put no thought into it at all.

I have to agree, I think it's absolutely done on purpose. Oliver is often dressed in shades of green when he's in civilian clothes, especially olive green. I remember once or twice he was in a rather nice olive suit. They did it often in Smallville, dressing Clark in red and blue (though I stopped watching the show after the 3rd season, I confess, so I don't know if they continued that). The costumers and set decorators do things all the time, sometimes just for their own amusement . Just like I don't think it was a coincidence that the Rembrandt painting entitled "The Jewish Wife" in Ray Palmer's apartment was chosen at random. But that's just my opinion.

Edited by Menrva
  • Love 1

Jfc, isn't this the cutest? No wonder they have great on screen chemistry! They look like good friends off screen

tumblr_nll9n3rSSM1sr6d2do2_400.gif

I think you "need" the first part of the GIF for context ;) Stephen apparently discovered the little cat pin that Emily had pinned to her dress in the back (you can clearly see it in some of the pics with her, Colton and Willa)

tumblr_nll9n3rSSM1sr6d2do1_400.gif

Oh, and here's another cute moment. No idea what's happening here, though

tumblr_nllgcy9EUU1sr6d2do1_400.gif

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 6

Jfc, isn't this the cutest? No wonder they have great on screen chemistry! They look like good friends off screen

tumblr_nll9n3rSSM1sr6d2do2_400.gif

You know.. I've shipped very few couples on screen and except one couple (Doug and Carol on ER), I've always managed to separate between fiction vs fact - (meaning understanding it is all acting and not real) and not ship the actors together. But damn it these two are making it so damn hard to not want to go there. they are just so freakin adorable with each other!! and I so totally hate myself for feeling this way, cause I find this sort of real life shipping so disrespectful (which is why i always make sure to maintain the barrier in my head and never cross it).

la` sigh.

• Love 6

I do not ship real people. I find it a bit weird and kind rude and disrespectful to the actual people. But if I did...

I am glad they have a really great friendship going on. 

Just need to keep repeating to myself - I do not ship real people.

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 10

There's also this moment where she tries to make him laugh (or at least not look so tired/grumpy):

tumblr_nllfe4zFZK1sr6d2do1_400.gif

wait but did it work? because he still look grumpy or bewildered at the end of it.... I need to see the continuation of this gif, this is going to bug me.

or to repeat @calliope1975 "I do not ship real people.... I do not ship real people.... I do not ship real people."

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

For me SA & EBR real life chemistry is sibling-like compared to their on-screen Romantic Chemistry.

I do like that it seems that they genuinely get along IRL.

• Love 7

I'd bet anything that if it wasn't for his black wedding band that can be seen from space, they would have tried some publicity stunt with the two of them.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 1

Looks like his haircut's not that short after all. I love the clever 'CK' ribbon graphic. Wonder why he chose the ovarian cancer t-shirt instead of the breast cancer shirt? 

ppXea71.jpg

• Love 2

Looks like his haircut's not that short after all. 

Yeah, from other pictures it looked like it was much shorter, but it seems more like in the premiere, maybe?

Edited by looptab

Non-spoilery MG responses at http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/ (incidentally, the quote below is not from EW, but from Emertainment Monthly's review of "The Offer")...

olicityalways asked:
"Whoever writes Felicity Smoak’s dialogue should win an award because her ability to leave fans and Oliver Queen hanging on her every word is not only a testament to Rickards acting but also the writing. In an episode purely driven by dialogue and emotion, Rickards and Amell’s growth as actors took center stage.” - entertainment weekly

Awww.  That’s really awesome.  Felicity’s dialogue, like all things Arrow, is a team effort.”

saagar-a asked:
How did Nyssa get back to Starling so quickly in "The Offer"?

She flew on “Air to the Demon.”

is there any hope of an Arrow video game in the near by future?

I imagine so. It’s not my department, honestly.

Edited by tv echo

Yeah, from other pictures it looked like it was much shorter, but it seems more like in the premiere, maybe?

The upside is that his premiere hair was uneven and looked like it had been buzzed by a drunk person. This is a little more even, thankfully. 

He has such a beautiful face and body, but his head shape, well...it makes me believe he's actually human, haha. 

• Love 3

I don't get the current love for the buzz cut on anyone.  Too similar to bully boys for me.  I liked Quentin's longer hair better too.

Looks like his haircut's not that short after all. I love the clever 'CK' ribbon graphic. Wonder why he chose the ovarian cancer t-shirt instead of the breast cancer shirt?

I'm glad he did. Breast cancer gets so much publicity and free stuff, they need to emphasize that other cancers exist too.  (I have a friend whose sister has a brain tumor and she can't even get a free ride to the doctor.)

• Love 4

I don't get the current love for the buzz cut on anyone.  Too similar to bully boys for me.  I liked Quentin's longer hair better too.

I'm glad he did. Breast cancer gets so much publicity and free stuff, they need to emphasize that other cancers exist too.  (I have a friend whose sister has a brain tumor and she can't even get a free ride to the doctor.)

ITA on both counts. I was just wondering if someone close to him has ovarian cancer. And why would anyone want to look like a skinhead? He seems to prefer his hair this way as it was also really short on Vampire Diaries, Hung and New Girl. Then again, he does tend to look like a serial killer with it long. Maybe it's just the awful wigs. I'd love to see what he looks like with his own hair grown out a bit. As an adult. I've seen clips of him with longer hair when he was younger and IMO, young SA is not nearly as appealing as current SA. Or maybe I just can't get past the "acting."

The skating ability is doing something to me...

Just watch the Dante's Cove clip if you want it undone.

• Love 1

Alias did a similar thing when they wrote in in Michael Vartan's real life hockey skills and had a scene where Vaughn was teaching Sydney how to play. Could make for a cute Olicity scene in the future.  

• Love 4

As a former figure skater that still has some skills, I'd love to see them incorporate skating into arrow. Plus hes Canadian & the show is filmed in Canada isnt a skating scene mandatory at some point? Feel a msg to mg or fan fic might be in order :)

• Love 1

As a former figure skater that still has some skills, I'd love to see them incorporate skating into arrow. Plus hes Canadian & the show is filmed in Canada isnt a skating scene mandatory at some point? Feel a msg to mg or fan fic might be in order :)

Damn it! now a plot and a snap shot of a scene is stuck in my head, it won't let go but I have zero time to write it!

Do it! I just finished Between Love and Skate, the Cutting Edge AU. So cute. http://archiveofourown.org/works/3343235/chapters/7313252

Power Play is another one I enjoy. It's not complete and sporadically updated, but fun nonetheless. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9827651/1/Power-Play

I wish I could, I'm doing my internship this trimester (which is why my grammar is suckier than usual) with a commute that is about 4 hours total back and forth, with 7-10 hours of being on my feet baking and plating. writing is the last thing on my mind and my usual middle of the night writing is not an option: mostly cause I fall asleep by 2 am(which is happening as I am writing these lines). with that being said I have a couple of days off come the weekend so maybe i'll have some time, hopefully the plot bunny won't starve to death by than. and if not and i can summon the characters voices correctly, maybe fanfiction magic will happen.

meanwhile: I may check the fic you recommended, i've seen it but wasn't sure i wanted to read it or not.

Edited by foreverevolving

Natalie's a lucky girl. I remember the invitation being posted on SA's Facebook page a few weeks ago . . . so nice of SA to take the time to acknowledge it.

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 2

Robert Downey jr. is doing Meme Mondays now, too, and Stephen Amell posted the link to RDJ's post with the caption "You're welcome". Poor guy, haha.

I'm wondering if SA's "You're welcome" is being directed toward his Facebook followers as opposed to RDJ? As in, "I'm telling you guys about this opportunity to meet RDJ and attend the Age of Ultron premiere."

This promotion was obviously put together by Disney's PR department so I doubt RDJ's going to be doing Meme Mondays on a regular basis. But you never know---I quickly scrolled through his FB page and he (or more likely his assistant) does post every day.

ETA: Jared Padalecki and Paul Blackthorne have both credited SA for getting them involved with FB and SA hasn't indulged in any self-aggrandizing (even jokingly) with them so I highly doubt he'd cop an attitude with RDJ, someone whom he's often said he admires.

ETA2: Heck, I'm just impressed that SA can spell "you're" correctly.

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 4

I think it's RDJ and one of his assistants that post on a fairly regular basis. He amuses me. He's great about fan art and crediting the artist, plus I've loved him since his Weird Science days. He doesn't have the level of interaction that SA does, but he doesn't really need it, either.

• Love 1