Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

All I get when I try to see the tweets is

Did Twitter remove it? Did the other person?  (wails like someone excluded from the big party)

seems like she deleted her tweet, but the ss are all over twitter.

6-5-2018 11-38-06 AM.png

6-5-2018 11-38-27 AM.png

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Now? LOL

A simple "It was a joke, I didn't mean to offend," would suffice, especially since a religious monument is probably not the best thing to involve in a joke - even if the joke is about you and not the monument - because people get heated about that kind of thing, and can misinterpret. And the OP was so nice with her criticism. But...why reply like an adult when you can blow it up like a child? 

Yeah, the “now” was a mistake. ?

YIKES...this isn't a good look on him at all. And this is the second time he's offended or insulted Muslims, this pattern of behavior is showing a bigoted view in my opinion even if he isn't one.

And just like previous times he probably won't apologize.

Privileged white folks go to a country they've never been and in turn end up insulting the people of that culture and other fans.

Not good at all.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, way2interested said:

"Actor says something that offends someone on the internet then becomes a mess." News on any day that ends in "-y." 

And there's a way to respond to things like this and SA responded badly. 

57 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I can picture Cass taking away his electronic devices so he couldn't be belligerent and he stole her phone and typed a response.  I'm only half joking.

Looking at the screen cap, I wonder if they both commented? Stephen in the first one where he identified himself, and Cass in the second one. I thought it was weird that pretty much the same sentiment was posted twice. But maybe it was the same person.

7 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Yep, that's the bottom line.  A simple "I didn't mean any offense, but I understand your point of view and I appreciate you for sharing it," would most likely have diffused the situation, no apology required, if you don't feel like you need to apologize. I'm not sure why the nuclear option was preferable to that.

He really needs to limit his social media comments to sports and the show, because everything else always seems to go left at some point.

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I get that and agree, but then I also get his pov of getting mad at someone automatically attributing intentions to him and calling him offensive as if speaking for a whole group (even if it was politely written). Even if he responded well no one would forgive him or there would be something inevitably wrong with it. He should have never responded but then again people would literally be posting and referencing him until he deleted or responded to it anyway, so anything he does he loses the second someone gets upset with a post. Literally the best thing to do in this situation is to never post anything ever which SA can't even do because he has his obsession with social media.

• Love 4
(edited)

Since SA has a long history of doing the response-with-added-selfie, and his wife does not, and to my knowledge I've never seen his wife straight out call fans "idiot", I without doubt believe both comments were from SA. 

I mean, how hard is it to acknowledge you’ve accidentally disrespected someone’s culture? Instead, he dealt with the situation by mocking and being mean to a fan. Ugh. 

Edited by Soulfire
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, way2interested said:

I get that and agree, but then I also get his pov of getting mad at someone automatically attributing intentions to him and calling him offensive as if speaking for a whole group (even if it was politely written). Even if he responded well no one would forgive him or there would be something inevitably wrong with it. He should have never responded but then again people would literally be posting and referencing him until he deleted or responded to it anyway, so anything he does he loses the second someone gets upset with a post. Literally the best thing to do in this situation is to never post anything ever which SA can't even do because he has his obsession with social media.

I don't get his POV at all in this particular case. He's in the public eye and he has a responsibility whether he likes it or not. And actually, all he had to do was apologize and say he didn't realize why his original post could be deemed insensitive. That's all it needed. Instead he was his typical a-hole self and made it worse. Not to mention doing it from his wife's account because he was supposedly "unplugged." How sad. 

And no one is saying he should never post anything but the best thing for him to do is just be normal and not try so hard to be funny which often ends up with him being insensitive/problematic. I can even fix his original post: "Me and the wife sightseeing. It's beautiful here." That's it. It's really not that hard.

2 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I can even fix his original post: "Me and the wife sightseeing. It's beautiful here."

Or if he wanted to compliment his wife, he could've mentioned how beautiful she and the mosque were and made a self-deprecating comment about himself. I get what he was going for, and maybe it's because I work in communications so it's my job to think about how things can be interpreted, but I knew that wording was a bad move, LOL. 

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I get what he was going for, and maybe it's because I work in communications so it's my job to think about how things can be interpreted, but I knew that wording was a bad move, LOL. 

Yep. We all have problematic faves, and he's one of mine, so I'm usually inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. But sometimes when your words and actions have unintended consequences, the best response is to just humble yourself and acknowledge it instead of responding in anger. All he did with his response was make himself look like an ass and disappoint a lot of fans, if my TL is any indication.

• Love 11
30 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

All he did with his response was make himself look like an ass and disappoint a lot of fans, if my TL is any indication.

The guy hasn't ever met a fire he wasn't willing to throw gasoline on, haha.

• Love 7

Wait so he posted under his wife’s account? The wife that seems to be generally disliked by the fandom? Way to throw your wife under the bus there dude.

Though I’m ashamed to admit that I find his repeated SM screws up mildly entertaining. 

Has anyone seen those posts on Facebook? I went through fan posts back to June 3, but I don't see them. The original post or the replies. Have they also been deleted?

(edited)

Attendee's recap of MG's Q&A session at the New York State Writers' Institute on April 20...

The Gracious Marc Guggenheim
By Jesse Seidel   April 25, 2018
https://www.nywriterscompendium.com/reviews-1/2018/4/25/the-gracious-marc-guggenheim

On the Friday, April 20th I attended as exclusive Q&A session with prolific comic book and screen writer Marc Guggenheim! Guggenheim is best known as a writer for the CW series Arrow, as well as the script of Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.

The first question I heard, was what lead Guggenheim down this path of screen writing. He replied that he started writing as a favor to his brother while in Law School and continued with the hobby over half a decade later. By that point, he grew disillusioned with Law practice and thus went to try and write for television. It is here that we found out that from March to May is something called “Staffing Season” in show biz, where all the networks go to fill up on their writers, and one of these places hired Guggenheim. He had to write a script for an episode of “West Wing” so as to prove his mettle. It was from there he wrote for David Kelley’s “The Practice” which, ironically enough, was about lawyers, something which Guggenheim was rather familiar with.

The next question was about the biggest challenge that comes from adapting characters from different mediums for television. He replied that the incompatibility of some parts is kept in mind. For “Arrow”, they wished to tone down some of the campier moments of the history (such as the boxing glove arrow he is known for in the comics) while still maintaining the tone true to the character. He advises against 1:1 adaptations, as the original is already there and written.

After that, someone asked about advice for screenwriters, which he said one must read a lot and write a lot, and that reading the bad scripts or screenplays can be more informative than the good ones on what not to do. In addition, he advised that one should take a movie and break it down, citing how screenwriters debate all the time about the structure of films and shows. Guggenheim said that one should look at what makes the plot work, rather than focus on the emotional impact scenes have. He said this is a common novice mistake, he then went on to recommend reading the screenplay of Michael Clayton for an example of a good screenplay for the modern era.

Following that, someone asked how he got his first job as a comic writer. Apparently, it was through David Goyer’s assistant who offered him a chance to write a ‘back up’ issue for Aqua man, in case the planned issue couldn’t come out on time. He then confided how much more difficult it is to get in to the comic industry compared to the T.V. industry, as there is no staffing season, and there is usually no clear place to start looking for that job.
Then, on an even less serious note, a fan asked how Marc Guggenheim felt about fan backlash from a season finale of Arrow and that people started to compare it to Daredevil on the website Reddit. He was mostly perplexed by the whole thing while also, adding that the User Interface (UI) of Reddit is nearly painful for him to look at.

Then, on an amusing note, someone asked a question on the behalf of someone who could not make it, asking how they could pair two certain characters together romantically, and if they even care about the rating dropping. To this Guggenheim simply replied that during that year only two shows did not suffer a rating drop, and Arrow was one of them. He went on to explain that the only huge ratings drop they suffered was for the televised airings and even that was only because Arrow started airing on Netflix as well as the CW app, and all in all, only a 3% drop in ratings was noticed. He went on to say that shippers, that is to say people who advocate for the relationships of people in works of fiction, are only a small portion of the viewer base, albeit a rather vocal one.

A more informative question that followed was asking about how many writers a show usually has and if it is difficult to find a unified voice for the series Arrow. To which Guggenheim replied that usually around 4-9 writers are on staff and when looking for writers they want people with malleable writing styles who can write the same tone for a series as their fellows while still maintaining their own spin on the things they write.

The next question asked about what it was like to play with preestablished lore when writing adaptations for television. To this, he replied that they have no obligation to follow anything preestablished but still wish to keep the same tone as their predecessors. Which led into the next question about how they deal with tropes and clichés while writing, to which he said he simply seeks to either subvert or play with most clichés or at the very least attempt to breathe some semblance of originality into them.
Marc Guggenheim was very gracious, and I am thankful he took the time to speak with students and to answer my question.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Angel12d said:

Exactly. I don’t know how anyone with any sort of media training at all doesn’t understand the correct response is to apologize and move on. Especially given his past social media fails. But he never learns. He always, always digs his heels in and doubles down. Crap like this is why I wouldn’t be shook if the blind item comment that everyone was talking about in this thread yesterday turned out to have some truth to it. 

• Love 3

I didn't find anything wrong with the" joke" really.   It was a bit classless,  but whatever's.   Lots of people post lots of stupid shit.   I don't care.   Stephen's problem is engaging.   I feel like he always thinks he needs to defend himself,  I have friends that act the same way.  He didn't even need to delete anything,  the internet is forever after all,  just move on from it,  he always makes attempted to justify and such when that's not needed. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, JJ928 said:

6-5-2018 11-38-06 AM.png

6-5-2018 11-38-27 AM.png

The first response is respectful. And the second one looks like someone called him an idiot.  Or am I not reading those replies in the correct order?

(edited)
5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

The first response is respectful. And the second one looks like someone called him an idiot.  Or am I not reading those replies in the correct order?

The first response is someone replying to the pic of him and his wife, explaining why his ~joke might be offensive to people. The last two replies are Stephen signed in under his wife's account calling that person an idiot. 

Edited by apinknightmare
Just now, apinknightmare said:

The first response is someone replying to the pic of him and his wife, explaining why his ~joke might be offensive to people. The last two replies are Stephen signed in under his wife's account calling that person an idiot. 

Oh, I gotcha.  Oh, Stephen, What are you doing, man? :(

He really has impressive ability to make it impossible to be on his side. Even if I start out on his side or indifferent, by the time he's done I'm usually in the "Shut up! What is wrong with you?" place. It's like the world's least helpful superpower.

• Love 22
10 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

He really has impressive ability to make it impossible to be on his side. Even if I start out on his side or indifferent, by the time he's done I'm usually in the "Shut up! What is wrong with you?" place. It's like the world's least helpful superpower.

I just can't imagine why that particular comment set him off to the point where he took a picture with his wife and posted it in response just to further make fun of the OP. I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall when he and his wife had the conversation that led to that decision.

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe he's a coward and wanted to pick a civilised response to mock since that person is less likely to bring the crazy than a more aggressive person.

Too much to drink? Drugs? 

There are so many other offensive responses he could have made which would have been less nasty than what he chose to post (my bar for him is pretty low). What I find fascinating is why they'd be in such a foul mood while on holidays! It's a holiday!!!!! Best time of the year for most people! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 5

This is great. Following the uproar today over Variety’s TV drama writers panel announcement featuring only men, a counter-panel was organized and Beth will be on it:

• Love 7
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Trisha said:

This is great. Following the uproar today over Variety’s TV drama writers panel announcement featuring only men, a counter-panel was organized and Beth will be on it:

Oooh, yay! I follow Mike Schur, and it was good to see him and a few others willing to give up their spots and him promising to do better regarding finding out if the panel has equal representation before committing to it when he got called out. I'm glad Liz Hannah got something else going.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 6
(edited)

From MG's April 20th visit to the New York State Writers Institute...

Marc Guggenheim On Being A CW Network Show Runner
Published on Jun 6, 2018, by New York State Writers Institute

-- On being a showrunner, MG: "Well, I tell you, the secret is, you don't think about it. It's kind of like you're Wiley Coyote. You're fine in the middle of the cavern, the canyon, as long as you don't look down and realize that you aren't standing on anything. Um, so the question scares me because it sort of requires me to actually look at what I do and pay attention to it, and look down and see that I'm actually standing in the middle of nothing... The general, you know, way we produce a show... it's just a step-by-step process. Um, and it's kinda like the old saying, 'How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.' So we don't think about it in terms of 23 episodes of television, and then we don't think of each individual episode as, you know, 50 to 70, uh, scenes or, you know, 48 to 56 pages. We think about it as one moment at a time, and you slowly build it brick by brick... The question, sort of, how you do it, it's - we could be here all night... Probably the simplest way to express it is, we first start off with, just, what's the story we want to tell this particular week? Um, usually the answer to that question, uh, comes - is a function of two things. It's a function of, what did we do last week? You know, where are the characters at in their various emotional journeys? What are they reacting to that happened to them in the previous episode? Uh, as well as, where are we headed? You know, not just where we've been, but where do we know we're going? Because at the beginning of every season, we arc out the broad strokes of the season. Um, and I always describe a - um, designing a season of television. We design a season of television the way I like to go to Europe. You know, I like to have my tour guide booked and I like to have my, you know, restaurant reservations and I like to have my museum tickets. But at the same time, if I hear about this amazing cafe, I want the freedom to go to the amazing cafe. I don't want to just be beholden to my itinerary. And that's kinda what we do with the shows, is, we have a plan, but we also allow ourselves to be inspired and come up with new ideas. Um, but basically we're slowly drilling down towards the process of - okay, we know where we want to go, how do we get there? Scene by scene by scene by scene."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
On 05/06/2018 at 5:40 PM, apinknightmare said:

Or if he wanted to compliment his wife, he could've mentioned how beautiful she and the mosque were and made a self-deprecating comment about himself. I get what he was going for, and maybe it's because I work in communications so it's my job to think about how things can be interpreted, but I knew that wording was a bad move, LOL. 

Not in anyway defending SA or his thoughlessness and assery but the Hague Sophia is no longer a Mosque, it's a museum.

Edited by Featherhat
4 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Not in anyway defending SA or his thoughlessness and assery but the Hague Sophia is no longer a Mosque, it's a museum.

He’s standing in front of the Blue Mosque, not the Hagia Sophia. He even mentioned it in the post where he doubled down on calling that poster an idiot. 

It is the month of Ramadan and I am fasting right now so I didn’t even know all this drama was happening. 

Looking back, all of this could have been avoided. Like in the first picture, he was trying to make a joke but it was in poor taste. He reminded me of that alt-right white woman who went into a mosque and took her head scarf off like she was doing some big protest. lol! Like no you were being a disrespectful of other people’s way of life in their place of worship. 

Anyways, he could have just apologized or just made the situation less hostile then it needed to but Steve is just so exhausting. So, I am not surprised he exacerbated the situation. 

• Love 9
On 6/5/2018 at 11:38 AM, JJ928 said:

6-5-2018 11-38-06 AM.png

6-5-2018 11-38-27 AM.png

Did both those screen caps come from Facebook? They look odd, like the first one looks like it's from Instagram. And then the responses are on Facebook? Anyway, I'm just very curious what prompted Stephen to just bluntly say "You're an idiot." Aside from general assholery, of course. Because however belligerent he gets, he's not usually this level of dumb. And God knows he knows screen caps are forever. It's also eye-roll inducing that his reply has thumbs up and hearts, 31 at least. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Did both those screen caps come from Facebook? They look odd, like the first one looks like it's from Instagram. And then the responses are on Facebook? Anyway, I'm just very curious what prompted Stephen to just bluntly say "You're an idiot." 

Both screen caps come from Facebook, yes. The first is a screenshot of a post to SA's Facebook wall, wherein the OP posted a screencap of his post on Instagram with the added text starting with "I am sad..." in the body of the post; the second are replies under that same post on SA's Facebook wall.

Definitely agree that it's eye-roll inducing that his reply had that many thumbs ip and hearts. Ugh.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Beth Schwartz will be part of this panel...

I'm glad they're live-streaming it! (Since it's hosted by Twitter I'm guessing that's where the stream will be?)

if you can’t take it, don’t dish it out.

The commentor wasn't 'dishing it out'. They were being polite, and could have gotten a polite response (even a disagreeing one), but Steven decided to 'clap back'*.

Let’s be better to one another.

This is the single most hypoctritical thing to come out of his mouth. Being better to one another means listening to eachother. It means trying to understand where the other person is coming from. It means responding at a level that doesn't diminish conversation. It means respecting someone for what and how they say it, even when you disagree with them. 'You're an idiot' isn't being better. 'You're an idiot' is a lazy, childish response to someone being polite. 'You're an idiot' reduces conversation to insults, and in no way does it make things 'better'. To get a bit deep 'You're an idiot' creates divide, when we should be aiming to bridge them if we want to be better to one another. If anyone was being better, it was the person who commented and not Steven. 

*That was not a clap back Steve. Clap backs require humour and wit.

• Love 23
14 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I truly cannot wait until this one comes back to bite him.

LOL

I need you to predict what will happen next since you basically predicted it up to here now.

Will he let it go or will he dig a bit more?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I need you to predict what will happen next since you basically predicted it up to here now.

Will he let it go or will he dig a bit more?

I'm not sure, depends on what kind of comments he gets on the video. Whenever he gets called out about something I think his natural reaction is to dig in more - I don't think he can stop himself.

• Love 4

Last thing I did notice when I came back on there was a little bit of controversy maybe because my wife and I took a photo in front of the Blue Mosque amd I  made a joke about what was behind me but then saying that my wife was stunning. First of all,  everybody relax. People are allowed to make jokes. They don’t have to apologize.  Now if you’re going to get holier than thou about it and ascertain based off a joke that you didn’t get in the first place  that I am somehow denigrating somebody else’s culture, you’re an idiot.  Plain and simple. I don’t have to apologize for stuff like that.  I don’t have to apologize for living my life. I don’t have to apologize for thinking about everybody’s sensitivities every time I post something on social media.  Because if that was the case I would never post anything.

So if you were really offended by  what I said and furthermore if you were even more offended that I clapped back and called somebody an idiot,  someone who routinely post things denigrating my wife and talks about my personal life, look you can dish it out fine. If you can’t take it back, don’t dish it out in the first place.  It’s really as simple as that.

And I hope that my tone doesn’t convey that I’m upset because I’m really not.  I’m simply stating that we are at a point in culture where you can piecemeal anything that I say.  And you can turn me into something that I’m not. And that’s fine by me. There are people  on Twitter who could decide based on my tweets that I’m a bleeding heart liberal. And there are people on Twitter who could look at my tweets and decide that I’m ready to submit my application to the alt right. There could be people on Twitter who could decide based on my tweets that there’s never been anyone more against feminism ever and there are people who decide based on my tweets and social media that there’s never been a bigger champion of the cause.  You can make me be whatever you want me to be.

I’m going to continue to post on social media and I’m going to continue to make jokes.  And I’m going to continue to try to not take the world so fucking seriously.  Because really in the grand scheme of things what’s the big deal.  And I feel like that’s a reasonable question like really what’s the big deal? If you’re unhappy with the content of somebody you follow, unfollow them.  If you think it’s your mission in life to try to dig deep into everything that they say and take a stand as if you have never done anything wrong in your life,  then more power to you because you’re way better person than I am.  But my advice in that situation would be to just relax.  And take a breath.

If you think for one second I’m going to be in Istanbul and I’m going to post a photo in front of the blue mosque and you don’t think I know what it is,  Are you out of your mind? Like are you really truly out of your mind?  I know that  i’m Canadian and I know that I spend a lot of my time in the United States and I know that based on relative to other people in the world how busy I am  and what I do and based on my interest in other cultures that maybe I’m a little bit more sheltered then some people?  But I would like to think that there would be a very small percentage of people.  

I meet tens of thousands of people year from various cultures, from various walks of life,  people who are controlling the levers of power in the entertainment industry versus someone who comes up to me and  are willing to work for any show that I know for free just to get their foot in the door, to say nothing of all of the people that I meet at conventions and otherwise that tell me stories about their upbringing about their value system about what they are interested in life, and every single person that I meet or let’s call it  99 out of 100 I feel has had a positive experience.  Because I’ve tried to convey positive experience for them. There are always going to be people who don’t have a positive experience, like the person who thought the way they were treated when I was at a convention in Detroit was unsavoury , and that my wife was scowling at them when they were in the line and so I took the comment which was clearly anger, which was not directed at me but just based on how they were feeling, and I offered them the money back.  Did they take it? No because that wasn’t the point of the note. The point of the note was just to be angry for the sake of being angry.  And that’s what most social media posts are now where it’s people who are demanding an apology.  Really? You’re demanding an apology? OK. No thanks. 

So all of this to say I can’t live my life, and people shouldn’t live their lives,  although today’s culture and the way people are demonized immediately suggest maybe I should think otherwise and it would be better if I didn’t have social media, but is long as I do I’m not gonna live my life worrying before and after every post  about what people are going to think because that’s asinine.  That’s crazy. That’s worrying about so many things that doesn’t matter.

I have to think about the types of experiences I have face-to-face with people. Because those are the experiences I value. I don’t value experiences on social media unless I can look at your face, know who you are, know what your background is and know what you want.  Which is why for example if I ever have any charity I have to have at most 1° of separation from that person.  I have to know exactly who these people are. When we first did our campaign and it was based off of the prayers for Sophie campaign - and by the way still know them, still know her family, still know Sophie - it was because I had a friend who introduced me to them. I knew them. That’s how I base interactions.

If I was going to base every interaction of people who demanded an apology on social media, I wouldn’t be on social media right now. And I wouldn’t go and meet people in person, because I would be terrified that 95% of people would think I’m an asshole. If you think I’m an asshole, you’re going to think I’m an asshole regardless of what I do.  If you think I’m an asshole, then this video is going to make you think that I’m more of an asshole. And if you think that I’m a good guy, this video will probably be an affirmation for that. I would prefer that you judge me based off of if you ever have a chance or we ever have a chance to meet one another. That would be my hope generally speaking for society writ large. 

Here is his comments for those who can’t handle his defensive, victimized tone. Oof, this is a PR masterclass in how NOT to respond to a social media crisis. 

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I'm not sure, depends on what kind of comments he gets on the video. Whenever he gets called out about something I think his natural reaction is to dig in more - I don't think he can stop himself.

I have heard that Facebook generally kisses his ass so maybe he will pat himself on the back, declare himself to be the bestest and call it a day!