Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Guggs is at it again. Man, even when they put Olicity back together this dude is gonna be so petty and shortchange them, isn't he? 

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 10.41.14 AM.png

"... & that's okay, because I'm getting everything I want from the show right now, which I outlined in the 1500 word manifesto I wrote about things I didn't like about the show that needed to be changed. Fuck you shippers."

Craig, you unmitigated douche of the highest order. I can't wait until 

Spoiler

Tina shows up and takes over as BC 4.0 and he has to grin and bear it

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Anytime they use a hashtag associated with the show. And Olicity is associated with the show they get $$$ due to the twitter deal between CW and Ford for ther top 5 shows: Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, LOT and SPN.

Does it have to be a hashtag or just a regular word? I've noticed some fans not even using Arrow anymore.  

Guggs is at it again. Man, even when they put Olicity back together this dude is gonna be so petty and shortchange them, isn't he? 

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 10.41.14 AM.png

LOL. It's terrible when shippers tell MG that they watch the show for different reasons but as soon as a guy says the same thing, he agrees. 

Thanks for mansplaining that to me! SMH.

6 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Anytime they use a hashtag associated with the show. And Olicity is associated with the show they get $$$ due to the twitter deal between CW and Ford for ther top 5 shows: Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, LOT and SPN.

Could you be more specific on what that would entail? I thought it was only  based on CW generated creative content (though it could contain fanbased ones). 

Starting on Tuesday, CW will create social media videos such as weekly recaps, highlights told through fan tweets and sneak peeks for its five most tweeted shows, "Supergirl," "The Flash," "Arrow," "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" and "Supernatural." Ford advertising will appear on the videos, which will be posted in official CW Twitter accounts. Then Twitter will promote the videos in front of targeted Twitter users based on its data.

From what i understand this only applies for the top 5 shows. Because they give them the most social media buzz. And CW will create the content

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Oooooh! That is great! I have a lot of (very petty) questions to ask like:

- as the show runner of Arrow, how does the show contribute to helping protect the Republic? 

- as a fellow Liberal, what is your stance on rampant misogyny on TV? How do you help fight that? What is your process when writing compelling and real  female characters? 

- what is your contribution to helping showing diversity in your show? (What are the metrics - and results- to ensure/ assure that this is achieved?) 

- There seems to be a misunderstanding regarding relationships on TV. How do you respond to that given that humans are social creatures? 

- last but not least, if it's just a TV show why should I watch? (Highly competitive market - there are hundreds of TV shows to watch)

I'm on a roll today. Ok, I'll stop there. /done being petty. 

Edited by RussianRoulette
Don't drink and type, kids! I am in a conf in Europe so time is right at least.
  • Love 24

Also, it might be possible he's more willing to dismiss the fans than admit that maybe somebody threw a massive fit behind the scenes over the show being called "Felicity and Friends" by the comic dude bros on Facebook and wanted to make sure everybody knew the show is Oliver's and not anybody else (sorry, I'm just really pissed about the sidelining of Felicity and Olicity)

It's funny but I was reading a Flash review where the reviewer was praising the increased focus on Iris and her "West family drama."  So it's not just about focusing on someone other than the main superhero. Once again, it's really a complaint about any significant time spent on Felicity.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, GirlvsTV said:

I don't see how that's useful though? I mean, maybe yesterday because shippers were basically goaded into trending for Olicity, but most of the angry responses he gets after saying something dumb don't include tagging the show, or even include the name of the show, and it seems to discourage people from tuning in instead of inciting them to hate-watch. I'm just not sure that engagement makes any difference to Arrow's social media stats - again with yesterday's trend being an outlier. Those Neilsen Twitter rankings that get posted only seem to count tweets with the show title included, so I'm not sure using Olicity to trend helps the show stats either.

I know that Oliver and Felicity counted towards their show's Neilsen rating, and I thought that I read that the Olicity keywords counted as well, but I can't point to the source so I might be wrong.  Having a lot of people tweeting "Felicity" in response to one of his incendiary tweets will drive up the Twitter rankings of Arrow. The social media rankings are very different than the actual ratings, and I think that the fans offended by his comments make up a very small portion of the Neilson TV families, and he is willing to get people talking about it, even negatively, to drive up the social media ratings without worrying that he will lose a big chunk of his viewers.

• Love 1

You know there's nothing wrong with the tweet in essence apart from the person he chose to validate and the fact that if people watch for different things then why can't they also only watch for romance without being shamed for it. It reeks of mansplaining but us tame on the Marc douche meteor.

That being said I love some of the replies on the tweet where he tries to explain why he chose to call out Olicity fans when he remained largely silent to Laurel stans last season as him just being tired. 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Arrow 100 trended in the U.S. during the East Coast broadcast and until just before the West Cost airing, I believe. 

It showed up on my trend list, but there were no numbers attached (just "so-and-so and 10 others you follow are  trending this") so I assumed it was just a tailored trend

Nope, it definitely showed up in the regular trending list for the U.S. and it did stay there for quite a bit. Like @dtissagirl, I thought that Olicity trending 3 hours before the show would help with Daily Nielsen Top Five, but maybe not trending during the West Coast airing hurt it? (Side note: I always find the chatter during the West Coast airing a good indication of interest in an episode; if people are still talking then there's a very good chance it's a good ep. These days, though, chatter pretty much dies down after East Coast airing, from what I've seen.) 

Also, the Nielsen Top Five used to only cover Twitter, right? It only added Facebook during the summer? I think a lot of female fans avoid the main account on Facebook because of bullying, so I'm not shocked Arrow's social media numbers appear to be taking a hit with the FB inclusion.

• Love 3

MG's facebook interview from yesterday (moderated by Tiffany Smith)...
https://www.facebook.com/CWLegendsofTomorrow/videos/vb.1567187933555959/1796051830669567/?type=3&theater

-- He mostly talked about the Invasion! crossovers. 
-- Oh, poor baby, he emphasized that they don't get paid extra for all the additional work they do on the crossovers, they just do it for the fans! (eye roll)
-- He wants to do a Batman tv show.
-- His fave villain? MG: "It's a photo finish between Damien Darhk and Slade Wilson."
-- He said that "death does not mean goodbye" on these shows.
-- He talked about how they do a lot of inhouse promotion and giving opportunities for their crew.
-- The two fans who appeared with MG and Tiffany must have been picked for their ability to gush over everything and criticize nothing.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, tv echo said:

-- Oh, poor baby, he emphasized that they don't get paid extra for all the additional work they do on the crossovers, they just do it for the fans! (eye roll)

I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out that they do a whole hell of a lot of extra work for these crossovers for no additional compensation. The work schedule for some of them during the time they were filming seemed pretty awful. I imagine it was 10 times worse for the crew (although I'm guessing maybe they do get paid extra during shoots like this - not sure how that works in Canada).

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 4

Yes, I'm sure they put in all this extra unpaid work just for the fans. Not for better ratings. Not to ensure the success of their DCTV shows. Not for the power that comes with having successful tv shows.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Yes, I'm sure they put in all this extra unpaid work just for the fans. Not for better ratings. Not to ensure the success of their DCTV shows. Not for the power that comes with having successful tv shows.

...You know I get that the better the show performs in terms of ratings, the likelihood it's better for the cast and crew in the long run. REGARDLESS, the fact that they would do it (regardless of intention) in the first place is a nice treat for fans to enjoy or in your case - not enjoy. They worked hard shooting these episodes and MG just wants people to acknowledge acknowledge that - which IMO should be acknowledged. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, tv echo said:

The producers are the ones who benefit the most on the financial side of things for this success, and in the larger context of his answer of which you plucked that bit out of, he spoke about how brutal the shooting schedule is for the actors so...again, I don't think there's anything wrong with him saying that they worked brutal schedules to film the crossover and do it for the fans during a PR Q&A meant to publicize the event. 

It's a standard company line for the leader of a group project to say it was a labor of love even though the benefits to the people involved could all be significant in various ways. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 4

I never said I didn't enjoy the crossovers. I never said that they didn't work hard. I simply jotted down my reaction from listening to MG talk - which in this case, sounded like he was doing unpaid labor solely for the fans and for no other reason. I don't care if he said it for PR reasons or whatever.

But everyone is entitled to watch that video and interpret it however they like.

• Love 5

According to Stephen on his live video, him whispering Felicity's name was not scripted and he felt that the moment called for it which is why they ended up adding more of the flashes. 

I guess this puts the false rumor that Stephen hates Olicity to bed

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 15
5 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

which is why they ended up adding the flashes. 

Does that mean he wouldn't have remembered her at all in the script? I get writing away from romance but that would be just ignoring a part of the show altogether. 

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Belinea said:

Does that mean he wouldn't have remembered her at all in the script?

Yeah, does he mean they added flashes after that and there were no flashes at all, or just for her?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Belinea said:

Does that mean he wouldn't have remembered her at all in the script? I get writing away from romance but that would be just ignoring a part of the show altogether. 

Yup! The writers suck. But we all knew that the cast makes them look good 99% of the time.

Stephen reading the entire Arrow script: There is nowhere near enough Olicity

• Love 6

Because as much as you want to deny it, Felicity was probably a blessing for them. She added something to the dynamic that nobody else was able to and if Oliver can remember Diggle than he sure should remember Felicity. Even though the writers wish they were still in S1 sometime, S3-S4 happened and it became part of the show and maybe these fans might like to enjoy the 100th episode as well. Because I learned from MG that everyone should watch for what they enjoy, heard he got it from some guy. 

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, looptab said:

You know, as much as these writers suck, I find it really hard to believe that they had not included that originally. I mean, really??

The Flashes were all probably originally more like how it happened with Sara at Laurel's mention of Canary. 

Edited by tarotx

I suspect (or...maybe just hope?) that they always intended to include the O/F flashes, as they did the flashes with Oliver and the other characters. It's confusing, the way SA worded that explanation. But he may have just had the flashes and not actually said anything directly to Felicity, just skipped right to the part where he says, "This isn't right." Which is still...stupid and disappointing, but right in line with how they've ignored their story this season, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

My bad, I misinterpreted... Apparently the flashes were there, Stephen just didn't know which ones they would add. 

That's interesting, I had wondered if the flashes were actually listed in the script or added later by Director/EP decision. Cool, love that kind of BTS info.