Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, Velocity23 said:

It feels mean to be laughing, but I am.

It's great that the three of them decided to do this since the organizers are incompetent. 

• Love 12

Agreed, they really do need one. If only Poppybwent better both writing and acting wise, I'd be the first one championing for her to show up and mess things up.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, quarks said:

Putting this in bold, capital letters to attempt to make my point as clear as possible here.

THIS IS NOT HOW TELEVISION WORKS.

First, the writers are not in charge. The network - or in Arrow's case, the networks - are. 

Second, absolutely writers listen to the actors. That doesn't mean that writers automatically agree with actors, but they listen. And very often, they take the actors' viewpoints or suggestions into consideration. And yes, if your lead actor comes to you suggesting a costume change, you listen. (And for the record, Arrow took Katie Cassidy's costume suggestions into account as well.) 

In fact, I'll go further: a screenwriter who doesn't listen to and work with actors will get fired. 

With that said, third, actors are hired to play what is in the script.

The script for season 3 was clear: Laurel had moved on. After two seasons of characters continuously reminding us how terrible Oliver and Laurel were together and how unlikely it would be for them to ever get together again, season 3 hooked up Laurel with a second post-Oliver love interest and then had Laurel say, in script, that she couldn't even remember why she'd fallen in love with Oliver in the first place. Season 3 also showed her making friends with Oliver's new love interest and turning to Nyssa, not Oliver, for emotional support and training.

How did i not know that's not how tv works!?! Wow. Some want to say that Laurels final words were written as a gift to KC and as i said, if MG was influenced by her headcanon, he shouldn't have been since it did no favors for the character and moved her backwards. We know this show can be heavily influenced by the actors and if it is a good idea, run with it, if not,  don't. They aren't going to get fired or in any trouble for it. 

• Love 1

Wow.

How exactly do they plan to make that up to the fans? Giving back just the money for the photo op doesn't seem enough, since some of them probably came in large part for that.

(edited)

I hope everyone is having a blast at the con; thanks so much for sharing your experiences! I am bummed on your behalf because there's nothing that irritates me more than a poorly planned, poorly run group event. 15 minutes for pictures is flat out stupid. I hope they do better next time.

ETA: They lost the photos????!! WTF? Seriously unacceptable. 

As for KC and her head canon, well...I'm just glad I won't have to watch it anymore. I disagree with it and think it did her character a disservice. That's about the nicest thing I have to say, so I'll leave it at that. It will be interesting to see if this is what we'll be getting from her at all the cons now. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 11
(edited)

I feel terrible for them. They better at least get their money back, but that is just awful. I hope Rogue Events gets roasted for this mess.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 4
(edited)

Not everyone has a photo quality printer, though. And there's still no explanation for why only the SA/EBR photos didn't print when they were the first photo ops of the day

They're not even giving fans a timeframe on when the photos will be uploaded. What a bunch of dicks.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 4

Okay, so this is what I've gathered... 

The people printing out all of the photos are all volunteers. There are people complaining because apparently they're still waiting on downloads from last year, so they're worried they won't even get a download. 

They really shouldn't have volunteers deal with this. It should be the management.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

@primalslayer I didn't mean to quote on mobile and can't get rid of It grr

I don't understand why they can't mail the photos to the attendees?

Just now, catrox14 said:

@primalslayer I didn't mean to quote on mobile and can't get rid of It grr

Thats another problem. The photos are taken in 'random' order so there's no record of who took what photo in what order. They can't send them out because all they've got is a bunch of photos with different people in them, but no idea who those people are, let alone their addresses. People have been told to e-mail in if they haven't got their photo, presumably with a picture of themselves?

2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

There's no way to identify the photos other than by looking at who's in them. That's why they print them out immediately afterwards and you go collect it yourself.

• Love 2

it's not just the SA/EBR photos. SA/Robbie, SA/EBR/Brandon and like 3 others didn't print out.

They said the the printer just keeps printing the same picture over and over and they can't clear it out 

they're telling people the photos will be loaded to the website in a few months and you can download them for free. Many people pointed out that they dont have photo quality printers and that it's an extra expense to go print it out elsewhere. 

There's been no offer of reimbursement  (which i didn't expect) at the least they could kick back £15 for the trouble 

• Love 3
(edited)

Ugh god. I'm so sorry you guys aren't getting your photos today! That sucks. What a mess! I'd be furious. You will still get them, right? 

How is this company still in business seeing as that some people have been waiting a year for photos from a previous con?!

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 2

Offering to give back at least some of the money would be the reasonable thing to do. I understand technology giving them trouble, but its their responsibility, not of the attendees who did their part of the deal and forked their cash over.

• Love 8

I do feel really sorry for the volunteers though. They had to get security in the room because people were yelling and trying to push the tables over. This should have been a lot more organised and they shouldn't have shoved this onto volunteers at all. For a fairly expensive convention, they should have definitely given back some sort of compensation.

• Love 13

That sucks. They should give the money back, it's not like they were  for free.

10 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

There's no way to identify the photos other than by looking at who's in them. That's why they print them out immediately afterwards and you go collect it yourself.

Wait, so the photos are all exposed or something? Never been to a con, I don't know how this works and I'm curious :)

That happened at the Chicago Walker Stalker con that coincidentally also had OTA there. They had no idea when the photos would print, they gave a us a code to print them from their website for free. However they had the photos up on the site at the end of the day.  It sucks for people without photo paper printer. You would have to take it in to get printed which would then cost extra. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, looptab said:

That sucks. They should give the money back, it's not like they were  for free.

Wait, so the photos are all exposed or something? Never been to a con, I don't know how this works and I'm curious :)

pretty much, they're laid out on a table, you just grab yours an go.

i don't really care that i have to download the photo, i have a photo quality printer at home and if i dont like how it comes out, my cousin is a photographer so I'll jist get him to print it.

i do care that they were very unorganized about it, sending people to 3 different rooms to find their photos before just kind of yelling it into a packed room where you couldn't really hear anything because people were talking.

i also care that they're saying months before you can get them, not days or even a week but months.  

• Love 10
Just now, Primal Slayer said:

How did i not know that's not how tv works!?! Wow. Some want to say that Laurels final words were written as a gift to KC and as i said, if MG was influenced by her headcanon, he shouldn't have been since it did no favors for the character and moved her backwards. We know this show can be heavily influenced by the actors and if it is a good idea, run with it, if not,  don't. They aren't going to get fired or in any trouble for it. 

Blinks.

"They aren't going to get fired or in any trouble for it."

Actors can and have been fired for "creative differences" all the time. Yes, sometimes, this is code for "drug problem," but at other times, it's exactly what Katie Cassidy is describing here - a dispute over the character's motivations and/or how to play the character. 

And then her character was killed off - that is, she was fired. Which for most actors counts as trouble. 

I think maybe we should move on? I'm not sure this conversation is going anywhere, and it looks like the rest of the forum wants to discuss the photo problems instead, which is understandable. 

• Love 24

I'm more perplexed as to how this happens in the first. Do they really only have one printer? One computer to upload? 

If I was in charge and realized that the printer wasn't going to work, I'd send someone to buy a new one asap. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I think maybe we should move on? I'm not sure this conversation is going anywhere, and it looks like the rest of the forum wants to discuss the photo problems instead, which is understandable. 

For the record, since I'm not in the biz and therefore fully admit I have no idea "how tv works," please keep this info going. I find it completely fascinating.

I think there's a very obvious difference bw KC putting her headcanon on-screen and the other actors making suggestions...she seemingly wouldn't stop. Even when everyone and their second cousin made it clear that LL/OQ were O-V-E-R. Making a suggestion is really different from continually insisting on something different from what is being written. If I were the writer/director, I'd get pretty damn annoyed after awhile.

This is from an earlier conversation, but the idea that a woman needs a new love interest to move on from an old love interest is, IMO, really reductive if not misogynistic. NO ONE, male, female, or anywhere else on the gender spectrum, needs someone new to move past the old. Women are more than a collection of the men they've dated.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 15
44 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Oh I figured anyone who had a photo op had a con attendee number or some such tied to their name and address and the photos were kept track of by that number. 

5 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I'm more perplexed as to how this happens in the first. Do they really only have one printer? One computer to upload? 

If I was in charge and realized that the printer wasn't going to work, I'd send someone to buy a new one asap. 

In a convention full of internet savvy people there is NO one that can figure out how to clear out the cache of a printer?  Wouldn't the pictures just be a fob plugged in?  This shouldn't have been an impossible thing to accomplish.  

And really, why not just upload all the pics to a site and let anyone who wants to download a copy, down load it, I mean, who wants a pic of EBR, SA and some stranger?   

• Love 4
(edited)

Con people who were actually there, is this tweet true? I know the first part is but I'm side-eying the second part, particularly because of who is tweeting it.

Edited by Angel12d
16 minutes ago, quarks said:

Blinks.

"They aren't going to get fired or in any trouble for it."

Actors can and have been fired for "creative differences" all the time. Yes, sometimes, this is code for "drug problem," but at other times, it's exactly what Katie Cassidy is describing here - a dispute over the character's motivations and/or how to play the character. 

And then her character was killed off - that is, she was fired. Which for most actors counts as trouble. 

think maybe we should move on? I'm not sure this conversation is going anywhere, and it looks like the rest of the forum wants to discuss the photo problems instead, which is understandable. 

I for one, am fascinated by the subject.

Do some actors who've been with a show let's say  more than 5 years or are #1 on the call sheet have more leeway with those "creative differences" as long as the changes aren't an attempt to materially alter the narrative? Like playing a scene differently than it's written on the page or altering dialogue slightly or ad-liibbing. Perhaps KC's problem was that she was not accepting her character's arc on the show so playing her head!canon messed with how SA played things with her.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Con people who were actually there, is this tweet true? I know the first part is but I'm side-eying the second part, particularly because of who is tweeting it.

I'm not there, but the second part sounds made up. Why would EBR complain about her own character having too much screentime?

• Love 2
Just now, lemotomato said:

I'm not there, but the second part sounds made up. Why would EBR complain about her own character having too much screentime?

I agree. I think it's made up, simply because the 'too much screen time' thing is commonly said by Felicity haters. But I just wanted to clarify. I've not seen any tweets like that at all. But I did see the first part where she said killing BC was a mistake. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I call BS. There is NO way EBR would say something like that unless she wants to get fired.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

In a convention full of internet savvy people there is NO one that can figure out how to clear out the cache of a printer?  Wouldn't the pictures just be a fob plugged in?  This shouldn't have been an impossible thing to accomplish.  

And really, why not just upload all the pics to a site and let anyone who wants to download a copy, down load it, I mean, who wants a pic of EBR, SA and some stranger?   

If it's an HP printer those POS are nearly impossible to reset. Gods forbid your cartridges fail. Ugh.  LOL. But seriously, IF it is a FOB then they should just able to run out to Staples and by another printer. It's really stupid.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

She talked about the show needing more female characters on superhero shows if i understood correctly.

I believe she would say that they need more female superheroes. But no she would never say her character had too much screentime nor that she hates the scripts. EBR will never sell Felicity short as a hero. She loves Felicity

• Love 7