Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)
23 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Ironically it was a tweet about him wanting to WRITE for Arrow... What an idiot.

He also liked this comment:

LMAO good luck to him writing an episode without the female lead.

Also, maybe instead of giving this guy a job, a guy who is happily trashing a female character still on the show he wants to write for (idiot), maybe we could get some more female directors instead. How about some POC directors while we're at it? 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 15

I actually really like some stuff Kevin Smith wrote [including his Green Arrow comics, btw], but anyone who wants to make anything that resembles Seven really needs to get noped hard. That stupid movie should top every single Women in Refrigerators in Film list ever.

• Love 6
(edited)
7 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

LOL now he's being butthurt: 

Cihh848WwAAb4WS.jpg

He's a pro at being butthurt, haha. I do enjoy his older movies, and think he could actually write a really great episode of Arrow - especially for Felicity. Her personality/delivery lines up most with his style as far as characters on the show go. 

ETA: Not such a fan of the idea now, but I wouldn't have minded it before I read his likes. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Angel12d said:

LMAO good luck to him writing an episode without the female lead.

Also, maybe instead of giving this guy a job, a guy who is happily trashing a female character still on the show he wants to write for (idiot), maybe we could get some more female directors instead. How about some POC directors while we're at it? 

Berlanti said Arrow has 50% female and/or POC directors this season, and he'll work to get the same ratio in all his shows next season.

• Love 5

DC probably owns #Onomatopoeia anyway and the Arrow writers will be able to use the story if they want - even if they may have to change the characters name. 

(edited)
8 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

LOL now he's being butthurt: 

Cihh848WwAAb4WS.jpg

He's kinda missed the point though. What a baby.

2 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Berlanti said Arrow has 50% female and/or POC directors this season, and he'll work to get the same ratio in all his shows next season.

Really? I didn't know that. It'd be nice if they told us. The only female director I ever heard about this season was Lexi Alexander. And then there was just a load of hyping about Bam Bam directing. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Really? I didn't know that. It'd be nice if they told us. The only female director I ever heard about this season was Lexi Alexander. And then there was just a load of hyping about Bam Bam directing. 

AWOL was directed by a woman, and so was Canary Cry. Not sure about any others. 
ETA: So was Restoration.

Edited by apinknightmare
3 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

He's kinda missed the point though. What a baby.

Wendy Stanzler, Lexi Alexander, Charlotte Brandstorm, Laura Besley all directed this season.. But yeah 4 female directors per season isn't enough imo

• Love 1
1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

AWOL was directed by a woman, and so was Canary Cry. Not sure about any others. 
ETA: So was Restoration.

This is great, although I thought Canary Cry was badly directed, if I'm remembering correctly. But I do wish we'd seen hype for them on twitter, the same that was offered to Bam Bam. Wishful thinking! Haha.

Just now, wonderwall said:

Wendy Stanzler, Lexi Alexander, Charlotte Brandstorm, Laura Besley all directed this season.. But yeah 4 female directors per season isn't enough imo

It's better than most shows. It's a start, that's for sure. There's actually more than I thought!

2 hours ago, Angel12d said:

Con people who were actually there, is this tweet true? I know the first part is but I'm side-eying the second part, particularly because of who is tweeting it.

Not as far as I'm aware. At her panel this morning there was no mention of BC, and she did say that she wanted more female characters, but why would she say she hates the scripts? That's the dumbest lie I've ever seen someone try to pull off. I doubt she wants to get fired or fucked over by the writers.

1 hour ago, bijoux said:

Are electronics stores open in Birmingham on Sunday?

Most stores in the UK are only open till 5 on a Sunday at the latest because of trading laws. There aren't any electronic stores near the NEC though.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Velocity23 said:

They already tried to do the character though.

Back in s1 when they were a new show, and then they decided to scrap it because Kevin Smith became really vocal about how the character was impossible to adapt in live action. Since we're now in s5, after adapting characters like Slade, Ray, Barry, and Ra's AL Ghul, I think they would be more up to trying it, per DC's permission. They might have Kevin Smith write it, for respect or something, but to me it feels more possible now than back then.

• Love 1
(edited)

If you check out Kevin Smith's Tweets he also says he liked the one tweet about the box cause it was a pop culture reference and the other one that says to keep Felicity out of it cause he thought they were urging him to keep her safe during the episode.  He is acting like he's surprised people didn't like what he liked but I honestly doubt he put much thought into anything he did.  Still, not like we need to help another white fan boy get to be a writer for Arrow.   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

If you check out Kevin Smith's Tweets he also says he liked the one tweet about the box cause it was a pop culture reference and the other one that says to keep Felicity out of it cause he thought they were urging him to keep her safe during the episode.  

Yes, I too confuse "can't bear her" with "pls keep her safe," haha.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 13
(edited)

Kevin Smith kinda picked the wrong weekend to insult Felicity tbh. LOL. I mean, he can dislike Felicity all he wants. Just don't shout about it if you want to write for the show. It's kinda unprofessional, IMO.

13 minutes ago, doesntworkonwood said:

Not as far as I'm aware. At her panel this morning there was no mention of BC, and she did say that she wanted more female characters, but why would she say she hates the scripts? That's the dumbest lie I've ever seen someone try to pull off. I doubt she wants to get fired or fucked over by the writers.

Thank you! The BC part is accurate because EBR said it at a panel yesterday; the person who tweeted it actually confirmed it was true. But the rest felt made up and the person who tweeted wasn't even at the con. Still, I like to double check these things! :D

Edited by Angel12d
(edited)
5 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Now is the time to let it go, dude. But I'm afraid he won't.

I'm afraid the well intended fans on Twitter aren't going to let it go either. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Kevin Smith kinda picked the wrong weekend to insult Felicity tbh. LOL. I mean, he can dislike Felicity all he wants. Just don't shout about it if you want to write for the show. It's kinda unprofessional, IMO.

Well, to be fair, he didn't actually insult Felicity or shout about his dislike for her. He liked some tweets that insulted her, but appears not to have read any of them very closely. That's still on him, but the unprofessional thing is crossing his arms and saying he's going to take his toys and go over to The Flash because a few fans jumped on him about this. If the EPs were saying something about it, then fine, but if you can't take some fans giving you crap then get off social media/out of the business. Man, I can't believe he's still such a baby after so many years.

• Love 15
24 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

He just mentioned it in the profile Hollywood Reporter did on him this past week. Anyway, because I need to fact-check, here's the full directors list for S4:

401 Thor Freudenthal - WHITE BRO
402 Jonh Behring - WHITE BRO
403 Wendey Stanzler - WHITE WOMAN
404 Lexi Alexander - POC WOMAN
405 John Badham - WHITE BRO
406 Antonio Negret - LATINO BRO*
407 James Bamford - WHITE BRO
408 Thor Freudenthal - WHITE BRO
409 John Behring - WHITE BRO
410 Jesse Warn - WHITE BRO
411 Charlotte Brandstrom - WHITE WOMAN
412 Kevin Fair - WHITE BRO
413 Gordon Verheul - WHITE BRO
414 James Bamford - WHITE BRO
415 Gregory Smith - WHITE BRO
416 John Showalter - WHITE BRO
417 Michael Schultz - POC BRO
418 Rob Hardy - POC BRO
419 Laura Belsey - WHITE WOMAN
420 Gregory Smith - WHITE BRO
421 Kevin Tancharoen - POC BRO
422 Glen Winter - WHITE BRO
423 Jonh Behring - WHITE BRO

* "Latino" is only a race in white people land. Nobody ever in Latin America thinks of themselves as "latino" other than geographically. It's not a race here.

So: 4 women [one of which is POC], 5 POC men. That's actually WAY better than pretty much everything else on TV right now.

The big con: every repeat director is a white bro.

• Love 9
(edited)

Kevin Smith is the prime example of comic fanboy that loves to dish it out, but can't take it.

Edited to add: Though IMO, he is still more tolerable than Gail Simone.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

The big con: every repeat director is a white bro.

I think it was Guggenheim who said they slate the directors at the beginning of the season and they ask people to come again after they have already worked with them. Which points to the show having almost no female directors until this season. Although, if memory serves me, Lexi Alexander had to drop out of an episode because of a movie she was directing.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I think it was Guggenheim who said they slate the directors at the beginning of the season and they ask people to come again after they have already worked with them. Which points to the show having almost no female directors until this season. Although, if memory serves me, Lexi Alexander had to drop out of an episode because of a movie she was directing.

No, it was Antonio Negret who had to drop out, and Bam Bam subbed.

The thing Berlanti said in the profile that I thought was interesting is he's trying to give directors FIRST chances, so yeah, the hope here is the new women and POC directors can come back next season because they had this opportunity.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 3

I know about Negret, I though LA had to tun down an episode for a film as well. Maybe it wasn't her dropping out but not being able to accept the first time she was asked?

(edited)
27 minutes ago, Carrie Ann said:

Well, to be fair, he didn't actually insult Felicity or shout about his dislike for her. He liked some tweets that insulted her, but appears not to have read any of them very closely. That's still on him, but the unprofessional thing is crossing his arms and saying he's going to take his toys and go over to The Flash because a few fans jumped on him about this. If the EPs were saying something about it, then fine, but if you can't take some fans giving you crap then get off social media/out of the business. Man, I can't believe he's still such a baby after so many years.

So maybe 'shout' was the wrong description but his likes are public which means anyone can see it, so it's kinda obvious. 

Totally agree that he's unprofessional though. Such a baby.

Edited by Angel12d
8 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I know about Negret, I though LA had to tun down an episode for a film as well. Maybe it wasn't her dropping out but not being able to accept the first time she was asked?

She wasn't even offered. When Negret dropped out, MG wondered if Lexi was available, but learned she was busy with Supergirl, so they offered it to Bam Bam instead.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

She wasn't even offered. When Negret dropped out, MG wondered if Lexi was available, but learned she was busy with Supergirl, so they offered it to Bam Bam instead.

That's not what I'm thinking of either. I sort of remember an interview with her at the time her episode aired in which she maybe, possibly said that she couldn't do Arrow earlier (not 415, prior to that and to her episode) because she was working on a movie. I could have fabricated it from 10 different stories, though.

ETA: It seems I have mixed things up. According to this interview, she was asked to direct for the first ttime this season.

I feel that is a great entry point into what I want to talk about. People look at numbers of how many women are directing, but I don't think we have a sense of how directors get these sorts of gigs. Could you talk about how you ended up getting an opportunity to do an episode of "Arrow"?

It's very funny because it is actually exactly how all of the TV business works: There is no rhyme or reason to it. It was one showrunner, one executive producer, who was a fan of my work, reached out and made it happen. That was Andrew Kreisberg, who is an executive producer on "Arrow."  

Basically, I am unclear if it was specifically said "we need to get more women in" or if it was we need to get some other filmmakers in, but this was him tracking me down, knowing my films, and finding me because nobody had pitched me to him, not even my own people. People in his office had to track my representatives down and specifically invite me. The simple version of that is when people don't go through the work to find a specific type of filmmaker, a woman or minority filmmaker, they just call their friends or they take whoever the agent is pitching them. Mainly though, in TV, it is people who know each other. It is not necessarily directors who fit the show at all.

Edited by bijoux
20 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Thanks.

What's going on at the NP party?

NP shirts and glasses didn't arrive and the entertainment - Brother Sal - is sick. Other then that, not heard much.

(edited)

People tweeted that NP would get the wares delivered and cover the cost which seems fair. It doesn't seem like something that would prompt a walk-out, but that's just me.

Edited by bijoux

To add onto the drama because she can't stop herself here is the incomparable Gail Simone:

Her responding to someone saying she's a CGI Gorilla:

Then here's her responding to someone ssaying she's a mass murderer:

To be fair, there's a person who's pulling her leg and being outright nasty to her... But jeez, when will people learn NOT TO ENGAGE.

• Love 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Tallis said:

NP shirts and glasses didn't arrive and the entertainment - Brother Sal - is sick. Other then that, not heard much.

I was at the hotel bar earlier, SA, his handler and the Drew guy were there. I ended up talking to an American stationed in Germany who was at the Con. He had been talking earlier with Drew/SA at the bar. From what he told me the basist for Brother Sal got stopped at Immigration for being an (honest) idiot.  They apparently got a local band as backup  (or something) 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
Just now, Morrigan2575 said:

I was at the hotel bar earlier, SA, his handler and the Drew guy were there. i ended up talking to an American starioned in Germany who was at the Con. he had been talking earlier with Drew/SA at the bar. From what he told me the basist for Brother Sal got stopped at Immigration for being an (honest) idiot.  They apparently got a local band as backup  (or something) 

This I've got to hear. :)

2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

From what he told me the basist for Brother Sal got stopped at Immigration for being an (honest) idiot.  

Yeah, I'm curious about this, too. The only thing I've ever been asked at Immigration was who I was meeting, where I was staying and for how long. Did he try to smuggle something in accidentally or what?

• Love 2
(edited)

The backup band is Michael Rowe's (Deadshot).

I also saw at least one tweet about rude shareholders of a start up company which I assume was the wives. Drew and Stephen aren't normally rude. 

Edited by Sunshine
(edited)

what i was told was that the guy went through immigration and was answeing questions. they asked him why he was in the UK (to play a gig) what's a gig (he's a musician and was going to play). does he get paid to play (yes), how is he paid (in cash)....come with me sir.

i guess they wouldn't let him in because he was on a tourist visa and he was working/getting paid or something?  All i know is he told them he was paud in cash to perform at an event and they wouldn't let him in. he called Drew and Drew was like nothing i can do, so Brother Sal dude went home and Drew had to arrange for a backup entertainment 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

what i was told was that the guy went through immigration and was answeing questions. they asked him why he was in the UK (to play a gig) what's a gig (he's a musician and was going to play). does he get paid to play (yes), how is he paid (in cash)....come with me sir.

i guess they wouldn't let him in because he was on a tourist visa and he was working/getting paid or something?  All i know is he told them he was paud in cash to perform at an event and they wouldn't let him in. he called Drew and Drew was like nothing i can do, so Brother Sal dude went home and Drew had to arrange for a backup entertainment 

Ah, that sucks. I didn't realize Brother Sal had a whole band - I thought he just sang and played the piano on his own.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Ah, that sucks. I didn't realize Brother Sal had a whole band - I thought he just sang and played the piano on his own.

that, i don't know. i could have sworn he said basist but maybe it was just the guy? 

(edited)
10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

oh yeah that is 100% what she wanted. one of the first questions was about that. the person (who was a LL fan) kind of threw KCs own words back at her. asked her how after all the talk about Girl Power and LL growing how could she still be in love with Oliver be a good thing? 

KC said she was happy about the question even though she disagreed completely that it made LL weak or regress (not her word but gist).  That's when she went into her soulmate spiel and love of LLs life and because comics and mentioned her discussion with MG.

this is her head canon, her absolute belief that because comics OQ/LL are meant2be4eva. 

while the blame ultimately resides with the producers for giving it to her, i have no doubt that this was a bone MG threw KC when killing her off 

4 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I for one, am fascinated by the subject.

Do some actors who've been with a show let's say  more than 5 years or are #1 on the call sheet have more leeway with those "creative differences" as long as the changes aren't an attempt to materially alter the narrative? Like playing a scene differently than it's written on the page or altering dialogue slightly or ad-liibbing. Perhaps KC's problem was that she was not accepting her character's arc on the show so playing her head!canon messed with how SA played things with her.

Just playing catch up, I find all the spec really interesting as well. KC's confirmation that she influenced her "you're the love of my life" deathbed confession - whether it was outright suggesting the line or years of badgering MG about soulmates meant he threw her a bone - makes you wonder how much she pushed her view behind the scenes. And how much it annoyed the writers/producers/other actors? For SA, his cast mate was actively undermining the romance he was playing on screen.  (If KC's been playing Laurel in love with Oliver the whole time.)  And DR and EBR seem to support Olicity and OTA, so would KC wanting it to become the Lauriver Show feel awkward? Let alone MG and Wendy and the other producers who have spent three seasons moving away from Lauriver and building a new love story. 

It's just odd that KC is so vocal about her Lauriver headcanon - both at cons and behind the scenes  - when it undermines the rest of the show and her co-workers roles.  Especially now the battle is essentially over. I can see why she'd hold onto that headcanon when she was still a regular: Becoming Oliver's love interest would give her more screentime/regain her female lead status. That was just her looking out for her job's best interests. (Kinda.) But when she knew she was being written off and there's no chance of returning to Lauriver? How would that line help her? Pushing the "love of my life" stuff only annoyed people and damaged Laurel's character.

Idk, it just seems like a very uncomfortable situation and it would be interesting to know if the writers thought about her behavior when weighing up the "Who's In The Grave" question. I doubt it was the determining factor, but if killing Laurel meant they got rid of a cast member who was playing a different show to everyone else, that might have gone in the pro Laurel column. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

This is from the EBR lounge talk today. Hopefully it means the last we'll see of the ugly thing!

I actually love grommets as accents on handbags and short jackets, but that coat flatters EBR not at all. I think it would've worked much better in black or lipstick red, but that boring beige...NOPE. And while I love that Felicity repeats clothes like a normal person, that coat is too distinctive to use ep after ep after ep. 

• Love 4

I realize she trolls people for shits and giggles, but I think if I want to maintain any enjoyment of the Birds of Prey comics I'm going to need to block Gail Simone.  Not that she'll care, but her ridicule of shipping--and we know who she's talking about--is just noxious.

• Love 2