Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Girl Meets Hurricane

If Maya gets her happy dream of her Mom and Shawn being together, I fear the character will lose her edge and become a Riley clone.

It's good if they give Shawn closure on the Angela.  

I liked the episode too, but it seems like Shawn is just going out with Katie because of Maya, and that is not going to end well.  At least in the real world it wouldn't, I don't know about on Disney.

It would have been nice if Topanga and Angela got to interact, because weren't they really good friends? Or were they only friends because their boyfriends were?

• Love 2

She won't if she does what she did to her hair to some kid's hair!

I don't think she'd do that.

I liked the episode too, but it seems like Shawn is just going out with Katie because of Maya, and that is not going to end well.  At least in the real world it wouldn't, I don't know about on Disney.

It would have been nice if Topanga and Angela got to interact, because weren't they really good friends? Or were they only friends because their boyfriends were?

I didn't view it that way tbh. Shawn seems to be finally growing up some.

(edited)

Wow. I have no idea where to begin. I cried. I was bitter. Now, I'm laughing at how absurd and forced this whole thing is. I actually read the spoilers thread, so I did know ahead of time how this would play out. However, it was a completely different experience watching it actually happening. I continue to not buy Shawn/Katy at all. Angela had to tell Shawn she married someone else and was considering having kids for him to move on. That doesn't sound like trust issues. It seems more like Shawn is settling. Cory and Topanga support Shawn/Katy. Riley supports Shawn/Katy. Maya, acting a little immature for her age I might add, is supporting Shawn/Katy. Katy is making it obvious that Shawn has to commit in order to have a bond with Maya. She ASKED HIM OUT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE. Angela comes back just to rub it in a bit more how disappointed Maya would be if he didn't hook up with Katy. His dead father twisted his arm into it. I.. run, Shawn. Run. I know you love and care about Maya, but this is ridiculous. It's YOUR life. Do things on YOUR time and don't settle. 

Edited by zayasex
  • Love 6

Wow. I have no idea where to begin. I cried. I was bitter. Now, I'm laughing and how absurd and forced this whole thing is. I actually read the spoilers thread, so I did know ahead of time how this would play out. However, it was a completely different experience watching it play out. I continue to not buy Shawn/Katy at all. Angela had to tell Shawn she married someone else and was considering having kids for him to move on. That doesn't sound like trust issues. It seems more like Shawn is settling. Cory and Topanga support Shawn/Katy. Riley supports Shawn/Katy. Maya, acting a little immature for her age I might add, is supporting Shawn/Katy. Katy is making it obvious that Shawn has to commit in order to have a bond with Maya. She ASKED HIM OUT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE. Angela comes back just to rub it in a bit more how disappointed Maya would be if he didn't hook up with Katy. His dead father twisted his arm into it. I.. run, Shawn. Run. I know you love and care about Maya, but this is ridiculous. It's YOUR life. Do things on YOUR time and don't settle. 

I kind of saw it that way a bit. Only not about Angela. People are making her out to be a villain, which she was not. She was just unsure of herself, just as Shawn was. Shawn wasn't sure if he could be a good dad, and she wasn't sure if she'd be a good mother. The fact she came back to him was just as a friend, just for some reassurance before making the next big move in her life.

I think that Shawn should take things slowly with Katy if he does care for Maya. Not at a pace that would be unrealistic. That wouldn't be good for Maya, or for her mother or for him for that matter. So in case things don't work out, people's feelings don't get hurt.

(edited)

It's all just too forced.  The scenes with Shawn and Angela were fine.  Most people outgrow their high school sweetheart.  That's normal.  The Katy/Maya/Shawn combo is not normal.  Having Shawn befriend Maya is fine, but he's not her father and watching him taking father lessons from Cory was seriously weird.  

If I were Katy, there is no way I would let him come close to taking on that role.  There are too many ways for Maya to get hurt.  You don't date someone because you like his or her child.  What if Shawn meets a woman and falls head over heels in love?  She is unlikely to embrace Maya, especially since Maya will no doubt resent her.  What if Katy meets a man and falls head over heels in love?  He's not going to want Shawn hanging around.  Shawn shouldn't be playing father unless and until he actually is Maya's father.  

I've been enjoying this season, but this particular story arc is a no go for me.

Edited by TVFAN
  • Love 9

It's all just too forced.  The scenes with Shawn and Angela were fine.  Most people outgrow their high school sweetheart.  That's normal.  The Katy/Maya/Shawn combo is not normal.  Having Shawn befriend Maya is fine, but he's not her father and watching him taking father lessons from Cory was seriously weird.  

If I were Katy, there is no way I would let him come close to taking on that role.  There are too many ways for Maya to get hurt.  You don't date someone because you like his or her child.  What if Shawn meets a woman and falls head over heels in love?  She is unlikely to embrace Maya, especially since Maya will not doubt resent her.  What if Katy meets a man and falls head over heels in love?  He's not going to want Shawn hanging around.  Shawn shouldn't be playing father unless and until he actually is Maya's father.  

I've been enjoying this season, but this particular story arc is a no go for me.

Fair points.

I kind of saw it that way a bit. Only not about Angela. People are making her out to be a villain, which she was not. She was just unsure of herself, just as Shawn was. Shawn wasn't sure if he could be a good dad, and she wasn't sure if she'd be a good mother. The fact she came back to him was just as a friend, just for some reassurance before making the next big move in her life.

Yeah, I can understand why you'd see it that way. Maybe he really is no longer in love with her. I just think there's something worth thinking about when it comes to Angela coming to Shawn, after fifteen years, to help her make a major life decision. She's been married to this other man for four years, but she needs Shawn's approval? I understand that lots of people ask for advice and often go to friends and family, but.. Shawn was her ex and not an ex that she'd been on good terms with in over a decade. So that's another thing that makes the show lose me. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I can understand why you'd see it that way. Maybe he really is no longer in love with her. I just think there's something worth thinking about when it comes to Angela coming to Shawn, after fifteen years, to help her make a major life decision. She's been married to this other man for four years, but she needs Shawn's approval? I understand that lots of people ask for advice and often go to friends and family, but.. Shawn was her ex and not an ex that she'd been on good terms with in over a decade. So that's another thing that makes the show lose me. 

Exactly. Fair point on that, maybe she hasn't grown as much as he has in some ways. Hasn't moved on as much.

Exactly. Fair point on that, maybe she hasn't grown as much as he has in some ways. Hasn't moved on as much.

I know as far as the writers are concerned, Shawn/Angela is resolved, but I'm not getting that feeling. It just seems like there's something missing if Angela cannot talk to her husband, the man she vowed to spend her life with, but she can talk to Shawn because he understands. Meanwhile, Shawn/Katy is being forced. Michael Jacobs keeps talking about what's realistic. At this point, those two having an affair seems most "realistic" to me. 

• Love 2

I know as far as the writers are concerned, Shawn/Angela is resolved, but I'm not getting that feeling. It just seems like there's something missing if Angela cannot talk to her husband, the man she vowed to spend her life with, but she can talk to Shawn because he understands. Meanwhile, Shawn/Katy is being forced. Michael Jacobs keeps talking about what's realistic. At this point, those two having an affair seems most "realistic" to me. 

Not really. It's a Disney show. So as far as they're concerned it's over with. She came to him as a FRIEND, nothing more.

What? O_O How is that even real?

• Love 1
(edited)

Well IMO Maya's Rolling Stones outfit was great, even if they used it to demonstrate something Shawn didn't like. Not that I even remotely get why a 14 year old is supposed to be wearing something representing a bunch of 70+ year old men.

I do have to add that in addition to me not liking Maya's new clothes nearly as much as the kind of funky punky esoteric stuff she's usually had, which looked great and never fussy like the new stuff, I didn't even like this week's Meta/reality breaking moment, with Maya changing outfits in Riley's bedroom every five seconds. It just felt forced, unlike a lot of these moments.

As did the justification for Angela showing up. Talk about forced. It was just lame.

The progression towards Twu Wuv between Shawn and Katy wasn't as badly done as it could have been. Even though WE all know it's inevitable, at least the characters don't all seem to think so. They're wrong of course, but it makes for a better way of playing it onscreen.

The awkward Truth Bombs we normally accept with this show were on the shitty side this episode too. Usually we accept them with grace, but they were extra lame Truth Bombs this time. The Ghost of Shawn's Dad, for example, was a doozy. Just total and utter garbage.

I find myself hoping there's a more clever plan here, that somehow goes a different way. I suppose they're wary of Shawn having an "Uncle" relationship with a 14 year old girl without dating the mother, and that's part of it, but maybe that just needs to be faced directly if they wind up having the Katy-Shawn relationship go to shit, but don't want to write it destroying Maya.

I DO think the physical comedy in the episode was very good though. The bit with the window was really well done.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
(edited)

She's been married to this other man for four years, but she needs Shawn's approval?

She didn't need his approval. She wanted to know what he thought because he understood exactly why she was afraid of having children. They'd talked about it. And he understood her fears because he was broken in the same way she was. So if Shawn thought she'd be a good mother, she might believe it.

I'm still working through the Shawn/Katie/Maya stuff, but I'd be really surprised if it's going to end up being all "Insta-Family! Just add Shawn!" If Maya gets everything she wants, she loses her edge and her character loses its arc. Plus Michael Jacobs never wrote that way. I'm willing to watch this play out.

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 1
(edited)

Not really. It's a Disney show. So as far as they're concerned it's over with. She came to him as a FRIEND, nothing more.

What? O_O How is that even real?

Don't get me wrong. I would never expect it to actually play out like that. I'm just talking about what might be true to life. What I see is two exes, one of whom can't bring himself to move on and the other who is clearly not fully satisfied with her marriage. Angela didn't have to go to him, but she still did. It doesn't mean they're in love. It just means that perhaps something about their lives are not as right as it could be. Hence why I said I could easily see them being drawn back together. 

She didn't need his approval. She wanted to know what he thought because he understood exactly why she was afraid of having children. They'd talked about it. And he understood her fears because he was broken in the same way she was. So she wanted to know what Shawn thought.

Okay. Understandable. I just think it's a bit questionable that she went to her ex boyfriend for this kind of advice. It almost crosses a line in my eyes. I realize that Shawn understands, but did she really have to physically approach him? 

Edited by zayasex

Don't get me wrong. I would never expect it to actually play out like that. I'm just talking about what might be true to life. What I see is two exes, one of who can't bring himself to move on and the other who is clearly not fully satisfied with her marriage. Angela didn't have to go to him, but she still did. It doesn't mean they're in love. It just means that perhaps something about their lives are not as right as they could be. Hence why I said I could easily see them being drawn back together. 

Okay. Understandable. I just think it's a bit questionable that she went to her ex boyfriend for this kind of advice. It almost crosses a line in my eyes. I realize that Shawn understands, but did she really have to physically approach him? 

I see. Fair point.

I am so confused. 

I mean I'm not dissapointed? so that's good. 

But????

I mean it was nice to see Angela, but like? ????????

Thoughts are hard to put together. I agree that it did feel forced, and that it was forced bringing angela (instead of oh, maybe MORGAN) back and they're like "oh crap we need somewhat of a plot" and just forced. Watching it didn't feel natural. It didn't live up to what S2 has done so far for me, which is so unfortunate. (This episode and last weeks--they both fell flat for me.)

Bummer, frankly, tbh. 

also i just can't buy that Riley didn't know who Angela was until Shawn mentioned her. In my mind, she's the cool, jetsetting Aunt who sends money at birthdays and really awesome christmas presents and flies in with like chocolate from italy and champagne from france to say hey to her girl topanga and then she and topanga could talk about how silly corey and shawn are. 

What a weak episode.

• Love 3

The episode was terrible.

First of all Shawn telling Maya she needs a wardrobe change was awful. Who tells a little kid  she doesn't dress well.

Also, making it seem like it was Angela's fault on why Shawngela didn't end up together seemed wrong and retconned for the new generation in order to make Shawn seem sympathetic. I didn't think Shawn needed that and the last time I check the same planes that come to the US also go to London. If Shawn wanted to reconnect with Angela, he could have gone to see her during one of his many trips. So, save me on this 'everything that went wrong was because Angela left." crap They could have said people outgrew one another after College but whatever!

The most creepiest thing was everyone telling Shawn to be with Katy and Maya. They brought both Chet and Angela for this crap. Honestly, I was scared people in the streets would also tell Shawn he has a ready made family and he should appreciate it. 

You know what, I am going to go back to watching only when old characters I like reappear. 

• Love 4

I am so confused. 

I mean I'm not dissapointed? so that's good. 

But????

I mean it was nice to see Angela, but like? ????????

Thoughts are hard to put together. I agree that it did feel forced, and that it was forced bringing angela (instead of oh, maybe MORGAN) back and they're like "oh crap we need somewhat of a plot" and just forced. Watching it didn't feel natural. It didn't live up to what S2 has done so far for me, which is so unfortunate. (This episode and last weeks--they both fell flat for me.)

Bummer, frankly, tbh. 

also i just can't buy that Riley didn't know who Angela was until Shawn mentioned her. In my mind, she's the cool, jetsetting Aunt who sends money at birthdays and really awesome christmas presents and flies in with like chocolate from italy and champagne from france to say hey to her girl topanga and then she and topanga could talk about how silly corey and shawn are. 

What a weak episode.

Yea it wasn't the best, but at least it wasn't like s1. Those episodes aren't good at all.

If Maya gets everything she wants, she loses her edge and her character loses its arc.

You mean like how her clothes used to be a bit edgy and now if they carry this new wardrobe (with RUFFLES!) forward, they won't be?
  • Love 1

You mean like how her clothes used to be a bit edgy and now if they carry this new wardrobe (with RUFFLES!) forward, they won't be?

I bet we never see that demure black dress with the Peter Pan collar again, unless Maya wears it to make a point to Shawn.

• Love 1
(edited)

I know this is a relatively trivial thing to get stuck on about this episode and it's many, many weird moments, but how is Lucas supposed to have gone to New Orleans to "help" after Hurricane Katrina? The tenth anniversary is coming up in a couple of months which means that unless that kid really is a thirty year old middle schooler, he would have been a toddler when the storm happened. Even if his parents had taken him while they went to do relief work, he probably would have been too young to remember.

Did I hallucinate that whole scene?

Edited by Lindsey
  • Love 5

I know this is a relatively trivial thing to get stuck on about this episode and it's many, many weird moments, but how is Lucas supposed to have gone to New Orleans to "help" after Hurricane Katrina? The tenth anniversary is coming up in a couple of months which means that unless that kid really is a thirty year old middle schooler, he would have been a toddler when the storm happened. Even if his parents had taken him while they went to do relief work, he probably would have been too young to remember.

I didn't think of that, just because I didn't realize it's really been 10 years since Hurricane Katrina.  But that's a really good point.   Because even if he has super good memories and can remember being 4 (maybe 5), why would his parents have brought him? He couldn't really have helped with anything and his presence would have made it harder for his parents to do much.

Maybe this show takes place in a different year? Time was always a bit flexible in the BMW universe, so why not here too?

• Love 1
Don't get me wrong. I would never expect it to actually play out like that. I'm just talking about what might be true to life. What I see is two exes, one of whom can't bring himself to move on and the other who is clearly not fully satisfied with her marriage. Angela didn't have to go to him, but she still did. It doesn't mean they're in love. It just means that perhaps something about their lives are not as right as it could be. Hence why I said I could easily see them being drawn back together.

I didn't see Angela not being satisfied in her marriage.  She said to Shawn that their relationship was basically a place for both of them to learn and grow from, so they were ready for more meaningful relationships.  She didn't seem jealous or anything like that about him moving on with Katie.  She essentially told him to do so.  She came to Shawn because she knows that he is the one person in her life who truly gets the whole "abandoned" thing that left her feeling like she could never be a good mother.  She and Shawn talked about that during their time together, and he shares the abandonment experience.  It felt to me like this (having kids) is something she wants to do, but she needed that boost of talking to someone else who understands where she's been to get their take on it.  He gave her the push she needed to move forward, and then she returned the favor by giving him a push towards Katie and Maya.  I got lingering affection out of their scenes, but no pining for each other and no questions, in Angela's mind, about her relationship with her husband.  

I also think the concerns people had that Angela would be playing the "villain" to the Shawn/Maya/Katie thing weren't realized in the episode.  She was lovely, caring, and honest.  I mean, she had Cruella's hair, but that was the only thing remotely "villain" about her tonight. 

• Love 5

Don't forget, it was one big hurricane BBQ down there. Seriously, Disney? 

The episode was terrible.

First of all Shawn telling Maya she needs a wardrobe change was awful. Who tells a little kid  she doesn't dress well.

It was awful, creepy, and completely inappropriate on so many levels. Not only was this painted as ok, but it was a great big fun event. Really? A grown ass man tells a child she needs to dress better and everyone not only accepts this, but sends her off to go shopping with an adult who is basically a passing acquaintance, who she then puts on a fashion show for. Fuck me. Was this Disney or To Catch a Predator? Seriously, when she popped out in the Peter Pan dress and knee high boots, I literally started calling her Lolita for the rest of the episode. 

• Love 3

For me, it didn't help that RS and SC have borderline inappropriate chemistry. I occasionally wonder if they're going to start making out, and that really weirds me out. 

I didn't get the part where Riley said Lucas volunteered after Katrina and he asks if he told her and she says no. What? Explain it to me like I'm an adult who watches the Disney channel. 

• Love 4

Don't forget, it was one big hurricane BBQ down there. Seriously, Disney? 

No to mitigate anything about the horrible devastation that was Katrina, but he's not entirely wrong. Hurricane parties are a real thing down here (not just in New Orleans) and while no one was partying in the immediate aftermath, there were restaurants in the French Quarter that pretty quickly started cooking up what they could and sharing it with stranded people and there were musicians who struck up impromptu jam sessions.

• Love 1
(edited)

For me, it didn't help that RS and SC have borderline inappropriate chemistry. I occasionally wonder if they're going to start making out, and that really weirds me out.

Yeah, but to be fair, RS has chemistry with most people he's in a scene with, and SC's dose of the same is so big, she has chemistry with even inanimate objects. Or at least Peyton Meyer, who's the closest thing to that.

I sense as good as the show has been this season overall, they just wrote themselves into a corner with the whole Shawn/Maya situation. There's no way for it NOT to come off as weird, and the show isn't doing itself any favors here. They didn't want to put in the spadework of lets say having Shawn volunteer running some activity Maya participates in (which would require her actually having scenes apart from Riley), they just introduced this whole awkward idea of them bonding simply because they're both in Riley's orbit... and similar personality types... so... yeah, it's weird.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 6

I just give up. This episode was terrible. I almost dread whatever the next episode is because I feel like it will be ANOTHER Maya episode. I mean, we're up to four now. We all love Sabrina Carpenter and Maya is a great character, but I think it would be nice if they started showcasing others. For example, give Farkle a plot or revisit the Lucas stuff. This would be like Shawn having a major plot every single week and stealing the spotlight from Cory. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I just give up. This episode was terrible. I almost dread whatever the next episode is because I feel like it will be ANOTHER Maya episode. I mean, we're up to four now. We all love Sabrina Carpenter and Maya is a great character, but I think it would be nice if they started showcasing others. For example, give Farkle a plot or revisit the Lucas stuff. This would be like Shawn having a major plot every single week and stealing the spotlight from Cory. 

Completely agree. Maya is going to become the main character at this rate. She has totally lost her 'rebel without a cause' attitude as well. We have spent 4 episodes focusing on her that have basically given her exactly what she wants as well as changed her into a watered down version of Riley. Seriously, the only difference between the two at this point is that Maya still doesn't do her homework. 

I hated this episode. I am sick of how we're supposed to believe Maya is this sad kid without anyone to help her with her homework (episode 1) when she has gotten literally everything she has wanted. I'm supposed to believe that Maya and Shawn are the same exact person, but Shawn had it way worse and had everything he ever loved get ripped out from underneath him. It is ridiculous how they have forced Shawn to settle for Katy and Maya because it's what MAYA wants. That awkward shuffling around Shawn did before Chet showed up at the end showed how uncomfortable Shawn really was dating Katy. He only said yes because Chet legit spent an entire like 5 minutes talking about how sad they would be if he rejected them. He didn't mention Shawn's feelings except to say he should 'let his guard down'. 

The only thing that could save this trainwreck is if Shawn/Katy break up and Shawn shows that he can still be there for Maya regardless. 

Edited by FrumiusManxome
  • Love 2

Didn't make much of an issue of Angela seeing Shawn. They were very close and she felt Shawn could understand her POV and it was hardly a long meeting! It was great seeing Chet.

The whole Maya/ Shawn/ Katie thing is too soon and being forced thus feels fake.

It's great seeing Shawn in the eps but it's getting to the creepy side of things. Shawn barely knows Maya but buyting her clothes? I'd expect that later on down the track with a firmly established relationship between S/K

See how we go s2 is a definite improvement over S1 :)

(edited)

What the hell was wrong with Maya's clothes that made Shawn think she had to dress differently? She looked fine. She's usually the best dressed character on the show.

I wish they could just have Shawn be a positive male role model without forcing a connection between Shawn & Katy.

And I call bullshit on the whole "no-one's ever cared enough to say something like that to me" thing. I'm guessing she actually meant no man (which is problematic in itself, because it means she's discounting anything she's heard from Katy, Riley, and probably Topanga) but I'm sure Cory has shown he cares about her a lot, even though most of what see between those two is snarky teasing.

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 3
(edited)

Glad the episode aired as I was feeling so pressured in the other thread but I did it to myself really LOL. Anyhow, just popping to say a few lines were added in (assuming they were from earlier takes in the pre-shot scenes) but everything else is true to what was shown on show night at the taping in Feb.

Remember this isnt the end all be all with Shawn an Katy, Michael Jacobs alluded to another bump in their relationship road when Maya's dad comes back into the picture (not sure when that is supposed to happen).

PS - Trina's twitter feed is next level. Methinks she only took the role for $$ and did not support any of the plot decisions. Also, she seems to be asking for a spin-off? IDK but I got a good laugh.

Edited by pink317
(edited)

Angela moving on and getting married is the only realistic thing in this episode. And I'm glad she did... Pining over your high school sweetheart whom you've not seen in 15 years is quite ridiculous *cough SHAWN cough*.

The whole Shawn/Maya/Katy arc is so contrived! I would rather see Shawn be a cool uncle/mentor figure to Maya rather than her stepdad. And Shawn and Katy just be friends. I mean first poor Josh, and now Shawn! Holy Moly! Maya gets what Maya wants! Are teens writing this stuff? Maya is really starting to lose her edge and it's not good! Her edge made her an interesting and relatable character. Now she's just blah...

Edited by princessbroccoli
  • Love 3
(edited)

Considering she was the best thing by a mile, it's not a surprise this show would lean so heavily on the Maya character this season.  Though the use of the character this year has diminished her effectiveness I've felt.  Sometimes I wonder if they're trying to cut the character down in terms of likeability in order to prop up Riley (who has been much improved this year without question).

I think the most troubling aspect of the character this year is the sense of entitlement the writers feel Maya is do.  Lucas gets annoyed with her constant names and calls her shorty, she throws a fit in class when Riley doesn't (rightly) defend her and Cory allows her to act out in class (again).  The implication here is that Maya was right to act out this way.  She has a crush on the older Josh that just won't go away.  Normal for a 13-year-old to be sure but everyone on the show seems to think Josh is wrong to be trying to dissuade her from this and nobody tells Maya that Josh is going into college and she's still in middle school and that makes things both uncomfortable AND illegal for him.  Finally, the whole Shawn thing where everyone conspires (including from beoynd the grave) to have him go out with Maya's mom so he can eventually become her step-father.  Again, understandable that Maya would want this but no one seems to tell her that Shawn can still be a mentor figure to her even without forcing a relationship with her mother.  Instead of coming off as the old Disney "dreams really do come true" this comes off more that Maya is ENTITLED to these things because Maya's life is sad (despite the fact her relationship with her mother has improved and she has a lot of people who truly love her in her life).

I think the writing is sending a bad message with the Maya/Josh thing and the whole Shawn can only be a factor in Maya's life if he is dating her mother angle.  Entitlement isn't a likeable trait.

I agree too that they shouldn't be taking the edge off of the Maya character.  The last thing she needs is to be another Disneyfied character.

I admit, I laughed at the whole Kermit exchange last night.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

I do think this show has been much improved this season, as has Riley as a character, but I really can't with the Shawn/Maya/Katy stuff either.  I love Shawn as a character and even though I liked Shawn/Angela back in the day, I don't mind at all that they don't wind up together.  That is realistic.  Most people aren't Cory & Topanga.  So I'm really fine with all that.  What I'm not okay with is using Angela, Chet and everyone else on earth to prop this ridiculous ready made family for Shawn.

I could probably deal with Shawn/Katy dating thing if it was handled slowly and not solely because Maya wants Shawn to be her daddy five seconds after meeting him.  And yes, that sounds as creepy when I type it out as it does in my head.  There is something that feels so very wrong about all of it and honestly, for a show that seems to love to harp on messages...it doesn't send a great message to the kiddies at home.

Mind you I feel like the show is partly rushing things because this is a Disney show and Disney shows tend to last 3-4 seasons max and this show is already in its 2nd season.  So I think as a result they are fast forwarding some of these storylines.

Also I love Sabrina Carpenter and think she's fabulous, hence the focus on Maya is warranted, but at the same time I've already over the Maya gets everything she wants deal.  I know we've heard how hard her life supposedly was, but all I can see is that she has a loving parent, a second family that treats her as their own child, and now another pseudo father.  Most of which bend over backwards at all times to give her everything she wants and to let her do anything she wants.  So if the show isn't careful, they are going to wind up ruining the Maya character altogether.

• Love 5

I am fascinated by the show pretty much giving Maya everything she wants when it was in show that Riley actually said "Maya can never be happy" when she was trying to avoid talking about the kiss with Lucas and made up a fantasy where Maya meets a cute guy but he ends up leaving because "Maya can never be happy" and yet, a few eps later, Maya is all sunshine and rainbows and about to get an insta family and has a boyfriend waiting for her when she is of age. BLECH! I love Maya, she is, hands down, my favorite character but I do NOT want to watch her get everything she wants and slowly become Riley 2.0.

And I call total BS on her acting like no man has ever acted like a father to her with Corey sitting right there, Corey who bought her a cell phone after finding out she was the only one without a smart phone and felt kind of left out, Corey who convinced her to come back to school after failing her because he knew she knew the facts and helped her prove to herself she was smart enough, Corey who did a freaking father daughter dance with her! How dare she say no man has ever cared for her. And as much as I do like Shawn and Maya's relationship, I never felt she didn't have a father figure in her life or that she was lacking a father. She has Corey who has been almost more paternal to her than his own daughter at times. Bullshit show! Stop trying to force this crappy insta-family romance. It is stupid and contrived and when you have to bring in a dead father an an ex-girlfriend to force it, it probably shouldn't happen.

This was the worst episode of the entire shows run for me. Actually, the first time I didn't totally enjoy an episode. But a lot of that might have to do with how much my eyes burned looking at whatever that was on top of Angela's head. YIKES!

It was nice to see the girls with straight hair for a change.

• Love 8
(edited)

People keep mentioning Trina's tweets so I went to check them out. I do love how she engages with fans and she seems really sweet, but wow, some of her tweets have a strange, desperate quality to them. "With the killings in the south, Angela needs to live independently of GMW" "If Caitlyn Jenner is good enough for our kids, so is Angela."

What does that even mean?

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 1

No to mitigate anything about the horrible devastation that was Katrina, but he's not entirely wrong. Hurricane parties are a real thing down here (not just in New Orleans) and while no one was partying in the immediate aftermath, there were restaurants in the French Quarter that pretty quickly started cooking up what they could and sharing it with stranded people and there were musicians who struck up impromptu jam sessions.

I know people were banding together and the French Quarter did amazing things to help others in a truly horrible time, but given the true target audience for this show was barely even born, I hate to think Hurricane BBQs are what their take away might be from a horrific disaster. 

People keep mentioning Trina's tweets so I want to check them out. I do love how she engages with fans and she seems really sweet, but wow, some If her tweets have a strange, desperate quality to them. "With the killings in the south, Angela needs to live independently of GMW" "If Caitlyn Jenner is good enough for our kids, so is Angela."

What does that even mean?

Echoing this, what does that even mean? Trina  seems more than a little desperate in her tweets, verging on just plain sad. She's pushing 50, but seems to think she's 21, and while I'm sure there were plenty of Shawn and Angela fans, you'd think they were the star couple from her tweets. Her tweets almost remind me of Amanda Bynes when she started to spiral into mental illness. 

• Love 1