Type keyword(s) to search

The Peanuts Movie (2015): Now with 100% more CGI

Kromm
  • Start Topic

I don't know if I want a Charlie Brown who's a winner.

I'm sure the movie will toy with the idea of Charlie becoming more self-confident, but ultimately even if he is by the end, it won't really persist past this movie. 

Ultimately this is recycling the "little red haired girl" thing we've seen since the early 1960s--who they actually named (Heather) and showed in one of the 70s TV specials, It's Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown. Where he DID get to kiss her. But that didn't change Charlie Brown for good.  It was just transitory and by the time of the next special it was like it never happened (and it never even counted in the newspaper comic strips in the first place).

And of course the core of Charlie Brown has always been... it's not that he always loses, it's that he never gives up.

• Love 2

I think this movie looks great. They seem to be staying true to the spirit of Charlie Brown. Touched and surprised that Snoopy seems to be more supportive in this movie...but he has had his moments of loyalty.

I did giggle when Snoopy was dancing to the mambo music.

• Love 2

I saw the trailer with my son the other day.  He asked me to play it over and over (we have Roku).  I'm usually up in arms somewhat about childhood classics being tinkered with in some way.  This thought?  I couldn't help but smile and can't wait to take him to see it.  I don't mind Charlie Brown being a winner.  Everyone deserves have to at least be a winner once. 

• Love 1

I absolutely LOVED that trailer.  The animation was different but it still looked and felt like Charlie Brown.

Watching those Peanuts cartoons again as an adult, I never realized just how much crap poor Charlie Brown is given.  I don't mind him being a winner either.

• Love 1

My boys just found our "Peanuts Treasury" and have fallen in love with Charlie Brown and Snoopy. This movie can't be coming at a better time for us. I would like Charlie Brown to win sometimes. The boys keep asking me why everyone is so mean to him, and some of the strips really hurt my mom heart now.

• Love 1

I hope The Peanuts Movie doesn't rely too heavily on pop culture references and bathroom humor. Actually, that's a lie, I will make one allowance: I am perfectly okay with Woodstock pooping on Lucy's head because, let's face it, Lucy is a hateful little sociopath who's been begging for it for sixty years.

• Love 2
(edited)

I hope The Peanuts Movie doesn't rely too heavily on pop culture references and bathroom humor. Actually, that's a lie, I will make one allowance: I am perfectly okay with Woodstock pooping on Lucy's head because, let's face it, Lucy is a hateful little sociopath who's been begging for it for sixty years.

Joking aside. it would never happen anyway here because two of the three screenwriters on the movie are "Craig Schulz" (Charles son) and "Bryan Schulz" (Charles grandson). The third writer is Cornelius Uliano, a friend of Bryan's from film school.

In other words. 20th Century Fox (the owners of Blue Sky Studios, most famous for the "Ice Age" films) seems to be allowing the Schultz family to drive the creative bus.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't expect bathroom humor, especially with the Schultz family in character of things.

But yeah, Lucy would totally deserve for that to happen to her!

Joking aside. it would never happen anyway here because two of the three screenwriters on the movie are "Craig Schulz" (Charles son) and "Bryan Schulz" (Charles grandson). The third writer is Cornelius Uliano, a friend of Bryan's from film school.

I guess that would depend. I read the biography Schulz and Peanuts a few years ago. One thing I remember is that as Charles Schulz's first marriage began to fall apart, Lucy in the comic strips started to become more of the mean, cranky, angry character. So if the two Schulz's who are credited with writing the screenplay are her descendants that probably won't happen. 

I saw the trailer once more (it was played before Minions), and it really works great in 3D.

The big question is if kids today will embrace Peanuts like our generation(s) did. One child in my row spoke up after the trailer saying "That dog is a know-it-all!" Yes, I laughed. I also got worried.

• Love 1

Turn yourself into a Peanuts character.

http://www.peanutizeme.com/

I've been trying since I found the link elsewhere. Apparently it doesn't work/work well on mobile devices (my phone internet is easier to use, since I've been ill, than my big ass laptop)... Sigh. I can't get past the Loading screen. I really wanna see if they have the right/close enough options to "Peanutize me".

The stamps is just so ironic since Charlie Brown NEVER gets cards for his birthday/Valentine's day/Christmas etc. I love it!

I know! I can't believe the Christmas special will be 50 years old, & the comic strip *65* years old, this year. This isn't the 1st stamp/set of stamps involving Peanuts though--back in the days when US First Class postage was 34 cents, they at least had a stamp of Snoopy as the World War I Flying Ace on top of his doghouse, which doubled as his Sopwith Camel aircraft; I saw a pic of it looking for the link to the new stamps info.

Getting back on track, I'm really looking forward to the new movie. I like the "look" of it, from the trailers & stuff I've found online--it doesn't look like a "classic" animated movie, but I don't necessarily think it looks like a Disney/Pixar film either.

But the "Peanutize Me" promotional site's driving me crazy! I really wanna "Peanutize" myself, but I can't get past the "Loading" screen. I think it doesn't work on mobile devices. At least not on an iPhone 4s, darn it (I've been using my phone's Internet for about a year, because I've been stuck in bed due to a long-term illness involving mobility issues & it's easier due to issues of space & other things--it's easier to hold my phone than to try to use my laptop with the health issues I'm having, because it's very hard to sit up now & I don't really have anyone who can easily help me into that position, & there's not enough room in the bed to use the laptop lying down). Oh well...

I know! I can't believe the Christmas special will be 50 years old, & the comic strip *65* years old, this year. This isn't the 1st stamp/set of stamps involving Peanuts though--back in the days when US First Class postage was 34 cents, they at least had a stamp of Snoopy as the World War I Flying Ace on top of his doghouse, which doubled as his Sopwith Camel aircraft; I saw a pic of it looking for the link to the new stamps info.

Getting back on track, I'm really looking forward to the new movie. I like the "look" of it, from the trailers & stuff I've found online--it doesn't look like a "classic" animated movie, but I don't necessarily think it looks like a Disney/Pixar film either.

But the "Peanutize Me" promotional site's driving me crazy! I really wanna "Peanutize" myself, but I can't get past the "Loading" screen. I think it doesn't work on mobile devices. At least not on an iPhone 4s, darn it (I've been using my phone's Internet for about a year, because I've been stuck in bed due to a long-term illness involving mobility issues & it's easier due to issues of space & other things--it's easier to hold my phone than to try to use my laptop with the health issues I'm having,

because it's very hard to sit up now & I don't really have anyone who can easily help me into that position, & there's not enough room in the bed to use the laptop lying down). Oh well...

I'm having the same problem on my iPad.

I'm having the same problem on my iPad.

Then it's either something involving all mobile devices (& yeah, I get a tablet/iPad isn't necessarily a mobile device), or just Apple devices (which BLOWS, if so). They posted another little Twitter video today & I couldn't even get that to work (the first time that's happened).

I just got back from it and I can now finally breathe a sigh of relief because for once Hollywood didn't mess it up!

There are dozens of callbacks to the specials, especially the Christmas special. Loved the Snoopy vs Red Baron sequences. I'm sure Kristin Chenoweth didn't have to alter her voice too much to be Snoopy's girlfriend.

I laughed my butt off when Snoopy and Woodstock chucked the typewriter at Lucy for criticizing Snoopy's novel.

And of course good ol Charlie Brown. I'm kind of going through a tough time right now, so seeing Charlie Brown struggle through countless fruitless attempts to impress the little red haired girl was inspiring. And to have him finally succeed by just being the good person he is was the payoff that Peanuts fans have waited for.

I'm not gonna lie, I got a little verklempt seeing that tribute to Scultz by having his name appear in the final shot of the movie.

It's a shame Inside Out will probably get the Oscar because I'd love this to win.

• Love 4

We took our youngest to see it on opening night. I really enjoyed it, it was adorable. A few laughs but a lot of smiles. I'm looking forward to seeing it again, I'm sure the BluRay will make it into our home. (The only parts I did not like were the Red Baron, it bored me as it did when I was a kid. The Red Baron parts were my husbands favorites).

This movie rates as the most pleasant surprise of the year.  I didn't think much of the trailers either way, and I was dubious about rendering these characters in a computer-animated format, but I saw it after it got such positive reviews, and I enjoyed it all the way through.

This impression was no doubt enhanced by having to sit through the trailer for Alvin and the Chipmunks: Road Chip beforehand, which provided a vivid picture of how badly this could have gone awry.  The worst part of going to see movies aimed at younger audiences is the trailers for bad children's movies that accompany them.

The people who made this know exactly why people like these characters and what they want from them.  They do a good job of incorporating the more familiar comics setpieces into a workable narrative (they even save the football gag for the credits, which is unexpected).  It's also confident enough in the material to be fairly low-stakes.

• Love 4

The hubby and I took our 4yo to see it. We were definitely more excited than him since I was hoping he'd not misbehave so his punishment wouldn't be we're not going.

We enjoyed it. We so appreciated that it wasn't updated. It still works. I will say the Red Baron stuff felt a lot like filler and certain things just didn't add up (the last day of school is also the first day of camp?). Still loved it. It was sweet. And Charlie Brown got to be a winner and not in a way that would felt unrealistic.

My family saw this movie last weekend and we enjoyed it.  I, too, was bored by the Red Baron storyline, but I enjoyed the rest of the movie.  The only thing that was missing was the line "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" at the end of the movie.  I probably would have lost it, though, since my eyes were a bit watery at the end.  We ended up seeing the movie in 3D (we usually see "regular" movies but the 3D was the earlier movie and we didn't want to wait another 45 minutes to see the other version).

We also enjoyed the Scrat movie before the Peanuts Movie.  The previews for the other movies were hit or miss.  My sons want to see The Secret Life of Pets, but had no interest in the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie (while they liked the previous movies, this one was just disappointing).  I wish they would have thrown in a Star Wars trailer since most kids know about Star Wars.

I enjoyed the movie but not think it was anything spectacular. I would not put it near the oscar worthy category

It was just what you expect from The Peanuts. A quaint, enjoyable but somewhat predictable film with a nice message.

That Red Baron stuff I just don't care about never have.

Okay this is cool. The Charlie Brown Christmas Android App (which is kind of an Interactive Story version--and amusing for a bit at least) which is $5.99 in the Google Play store, is Free right now inside the special Amazon Underground App. 

In a nutshell, you can basically download the Amazon Undergorund App. from here (not just Fire owners but anyone with Android) and inside that there's a ton of free apps that in the Play store usually cost. One of them is this Charlie Brown Christmas app.