Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

Let me put it this way. The world has gotten more tolerant and progressive, but I think in old institutions like the Emmys, it likes the APPEARANCE of progress, hence the nominations, but the end result is an attitude still back eons ago. Probably afraid to offend a subset of viewers by voting for that, whether it's fair or not.

Clearly Modern Family has found the perfect solution: The same old sitcom antics that have been around for decades but it includes a gay couple, so progress.

• Love 3

Never saw Normal Heart, but I honestly think the Sherlock guys won based on the strength of three seasons of work.

Which is maybe an argument against the weird way shows are put into different categories, to be fair.

Matt Bomer lost?  Noooooooo!

I was going to watch this later, for The Normal Heart nominations and for the Robin Williams tribute.  Nope; I'll YouTube the tribute tomorrow.

And refresh here and keep reading you guys for the rest.

Who is this lovely British actress introducing miniseries?

Lena Headey. She plays queen Cersei. You know. The adulterous one having the incestuous affair with her twin brother that you're always hearing about from GOT fans.

Thanks, aradia22!   I don't watch the show, but that sounds like quite a plot!

I don't watch either but that's one of the things I thought all non-fans were aware of. Same as Dannerys is the mother of dragons. I seriously have no idea what Kit Harrington or most of the other characters do on that show.

• Love 1

Anything that reminds people how terrible and horrifying AIDS was in the beginning, deserves recognition IMHO. To have it be done in the beautiful, strong way The Normal Heart told the story, deserves every award it was nominated for tonight.

Edited by Magpi

OK.  Digital Short observation.  Andy's Joeffrey costume is very close to Space Olympics.  I knew I'd seen that hair on him before.  It was bugging me.

If the Tony's that was nominated was the one where Andrew Rannells, Laura Benanti, and Megan Hilty did the song about their canceled TV shows then I wish it would have won.

They should have taken it for that and NPH's big opening number.  NPH was damn impressive in that.

Edited by ParadoxLost

The Normal Heart winning reminded of the last Globes, when 12 Years A Slave kept getting shut-out, only to win the big one.  I guess it's good it finally got it's due, but I'm still surprised it didn't get any acting wins.

Sarah Silverman beats The Beatles and Billy Crystal.  Never thought I'd type that before.  But her speech was upstaged by her boobs.

Ricky Gervais can be too much at times, but I find him amusing.

• Love 1

I will never get the appeal of Sarah Silverman, but I appreciate her racing to the podium without shoes.

The most I've ever liked her has been in Wreck It Ralph. Heck, she went on Seth Rudetsky's radio show and sang show tunes and even that didn't win me over.

I will never get the appeal of Sarah Silverman, but I appreciate her racing to the podium without shoes.

I have really mixed feelings about her.  I don't like much of her act, but when she's chatting on a talk show or a panel (I liked her a lot on Real Time) I find that I do like her.  She seems like a smart woman.

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 2

The most I've ever liked her has been in Wreck It Ralph. Heck, she went on Seth Rudetsky's radio show and sang show tunes and even that didn't win me over.

I F@#$%d Matt Damon was really funy.

The people introducing the accountants upstaged Seth.

So they don't play music over the long winded person running the show and accepting an award

Edited by ParadoxLost

I don't always find Key and Peele hilarious but I love the substitute teacher sketch. Sometimes when I'm walking my dog I'll just murmur "O-shag-Hennessy" to myself and chuckle.

Chris Hardwick, I'm not trolling you. I just genuinely don't think you're funny. And I think I've listened to 50 to 80 episodes of The Nerdist to make sure. Also, I majored in English so... shut up.