Type keyword(s) to search

Stirring the Pot: Controversial Commercials

Lola16
  • Start Topic

29 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

There's another medication called PreP that has been out a bit longer that looks to be available to both those assigned male and those assigned female at birth. 

I am struggling to phrase this correctly (please correct everything inaccurate and accept my apologizes for the inaccuracies) but aren't people assigned male at birth but do not identify as "male" and people who identify as a gay man at a higher risk of HIV than people who identify as CIS gender they were born? Perhaps that's the reason this drug has only been tested on people who were assigned male at birth, to start.

Behavior (not practicing safe sex) is the main risk factor. I don't think gender, assigned or not, comes into it.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, absolutely. Heart disease comes to mind. They never really studied it in women and a lot of women died because their doctors never even thought to look into it.

At least, unlike the heart disease example, they're aware of the differences and are open about it.

Behavior (not practicing safe sex) is the main risk factor. I don't think gender, assigned or not, comes into it.

Also other non-sex related behaviors, such as using needle drugs.  (Not that I expect them to show junkies in the commercial.)

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 2

Truvada was fist studied in men I am guessing for practical reason for the initial studies because the rate of transmission is much higher via anal sex vs vaginal sex. 

The risk of transmission via single act of receptive anal sex is 1.4%.  That is as opposed to receptive vaginal sex where it is 0.08%. In a similar but not quite as dramatic fashion, the rate of transmission via insertive anal sex is 0.1 to 0.6% vs. 0.04% for vaginal sex.  I imagine it was just easier to do the initial study on men than women because of this.  You would not need nearly as many test participants because you would have an easier time showing decreased transmission in a higher risk group than a lower risk group.  Now certainly not all heterosexual sex is vaginal, but it is much higher than anal sex

Not to get too graphic but receptive here means the person on the receiving end and insertive the other person.  The receptive person has a higher risk of transmission in general and its highest for receptive anal sex, much higher than all the others

It has been studied in women though and it turns out as well you need much higher dosages of the medication to prevent transmission in women.  The active chemical does not penetrate and concentrate as well in vaginal and cervical tissue as it does in anal tissue. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Truvada was fist studied in men I am guessing for practical reason for the initial studies because the rate of transmission is much higher via anal sex vs vaginal sex. 

The risk of transmission via single act of receptive anal sex is 1.4%.  That is as opposed to receptive vaginal sex where it is 0.08%. In a similar but not quite as dramatic fashion, the rate of transmission via insertive anal sex is 0.1 to 0.6% vs. 0.04% for vaginal sex.  I imagine it was just easier to do the initial study on men than women because of this.  You would not need nearly as many test participants because you would have an easier time showing decreased transmission in a higher risk group than a lower risk group.  Now certainly not all heterosexual sex is vaginal, but it is much higher than anal sex

Not to get too graphic but receptive here means the person on the receiving end and insertive the other person.  The receptive person has a higher risk of transmission in general and its highest for receptive anal sex, much higher than all the others

It has been studied in women though and it turns out as well you need much higher dosages of the medication to prevent transmission in women.  The active chemical does not penetrate and concentrate as well in vaginal and cervical tissue as it does in anal tissue. 

I don't dispute your facts on this particular issue, but I think that historically, women have been under-represented in clinical trials of pharmaceuticals and in studies of health problems like heart disease.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

I don't dispute your facts on this particular issue, but I think that historically, women have been under-represented in clinical trials of pharmaceuticals and in studies of health problems like heart disease.

It actually looks like they did the study in women initially for Truvada and it failed, did not show statistical significance. 

But the initial studies were a decade ago, not sure why there isn't more since then

But then Descovy, a newer medication for the same thing, they didn't even look into how it works in women. 

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 11:34 PM, Silver Raven said:

Just saw an HIV pill ad where there was a male couple stroking each other's hands, plus one of the participants said, "Has not been studied in people assigned female."

The rednecks are going to plotz.

I'm not a red-neck and am perfectly fine gay couples, lesbian couples, transgender couples, etc. showing displays of affection on tv.  Heck, as long as nobody (including heterosexual couples) is having full-on naked fun time while I'm watching tv with my mother, everyone can show all the affection they want.

My problem with this commercial is the whole "assigned female at birth" line.  With the exception of the small percentage of intersex people, no one is assigned a biological sex at birth - you just are born with a sex.  That's different from being assigned a gender, which is a societal construct, not a biological one.  Basically the drug hasn't been studied on those who were born female, so just say that.  Obviously most consumers who would find the drug useful know exactly what the commercial means, but the imprecision of the language used bugs the hell out of me.

For the record, though, I'm all for safe and effective drugs to help prevent the spread of HIV, for any and all who find themselves at risk.  So I do hope that both this one and Truvada are indeed safe and effective.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My problem with this commercial is the whole "assigned female at birth" line.  With the exception of the small percentage of intersex people, no one is assigned a biological sex at birth - you just are born with a sex.  That's different from being assigned a gender, which is a societal construct, not a biological one.  Basically the drug hasn't been studied on those who were born female, so just say that.  Obviously most consumers who would find the drug useful know exactly what the commercial means, but the imprecision of the language used bugs the hell out of me.

I'm not sure what you're getting at -- "assigned female at birth" means assigned the gender female at birth.  As in, they look at your vagina and assign you the gender of female.  This phrase doesn't refer to anyone's physical/biological gender (one's physical characteristics being the criterion for assigning the gender at birth notwithstanding). 

So when they're talking about a drug for people born with penises, they don't say "born female"/"born male" because that's not the phrase used in common parlance to refer to the assignment of gender to newborn babies.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 3
On ‎02‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 4:34 PM, janie jones said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at -- "assigned female at birth" means assigned the gender female at birth.  As in, they look at your vagina and assign you the gender of female.  This phrase doesn't refer to anyone's physical/biological gender (one's physical characteristics being the criterion for assigning the gender at birth notwithstanding). 

So when they're talking about a drug for people born with penises, they don't say "born female"/"born male" because that's not the phrase used in common parlance to refer to the assignment of gender to newborn babies.

I'm getting at the fact that the vast majority of babies are both either male or female.  It's not something that you're assigned; it's something you physically are at that point.  "Born female" would be accurate.  The drug manufacturers tested the drug only subjects who were born with male genitalia/sex organs.  Gender is a different thing.

The phrasing bugs me.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm getting at the fact that the vast majority of babies are both either male or female.  It's not something that you're assigned; it's something you physically are at that point.  "Born female" would be accurate.  The drug manufacturers tested the drug only subjects who were born with male genitalia/sex organs.  Gender is a different thing.

The phrasing bugs me.

Actually, I think it’s used in the commercial because it’s a common phrase in the LGBTQ community. I’ve heard people refer to themselves as afab, as in “assigned female at birth.” Wikipedia says “Sex assignment (sometimes known as gender assignment) is the determination of an infant's sex at birth.[1] In the majority of births, a relative, midwife, nurse or physician inspects the genitalia when the baby is delivered, and sex is assigned, without the expectation of ambiguity.[2]” https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_assignment

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

This is a real Burger King ad, talking about what they're doing to cut methane emissions caused by cow farts.

I saw that and could not understand what the kids were singing. My thoughts are still the same I wonder what the person who made this ad was on.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

This is a real Burger King ad, talking about what they're doing to cut methane emissions caused by cow farts.

I saw this commercial last night, watching the Discovery Channel.  I'm glad this version has closed caption because when I watched it I had no idea what they were saying.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

This Dupixent ad has been running for a long time, and I just noticed that it was a man running out the front door handing off the lunch for the little girl to another guy.

• Love 1