Type keyword(s) to search

Stirring the Pot: Controversial Commercials

Lola16
  • Start Topic

A friend's son auditioned for the Nationwide dead kid ad.  He is still upset he didn't get it; he contends he would have done a much better job.  I pointed out he might be better off not being the face people will associate with dead children or a commercial that was almost universally loathed.  

• Love 4

Just a reminder to everyone to avoid heated political topics. I understand the desire to debate and share, but it never ends well. I'd like to keep this forum slightly more friendly than the comments section of a news site. ;-)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Budweiser's new Super Bowl commercial talks about their immigrant founder being rudely treated by Americans when he arrived in America.

So, I found the ad. I didn't see what you saw. I saw a commercial about pursuing the American Dream. Someone who came with a dream and built a company.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

You don't here people saying, "Go back where you came from!"

As if no one's ever said that in the history of the world? Every immigrant group that came to the US has heard it.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

So people are boycotting Budweiser now?  Are they too dumb to realize this commercial was made probably a year ago and has nothing to do with current politics?

Yes, and yes.  Per the Los Angeles Times, it was developed in early 2016 and shot in October.

If Budweiser wasn't such gross beer, I'd buy some.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6
51 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yes, and yes.  Per the Los Angeles Times, it was developed in early 2016 and shot in New Orleans in October.

If Budweiser wasn't such gross beer, I'd buy some.

Given how most beers are owned by only a handful of companies these days, there's probably one of their related brands you might like :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned but there's a Walgreens commercial that is so disturbing I don't even know what they were selling. But the commercial features 2 older grey haired women disrobing to hit the nude beach.

WTF Walgreens? I mean, kudos to older women who go to nude beaches but what the f do they have to do with Walgreens? Seriously, some of these commercials make people over 50 look just plain frigging ridiculous. STOP IT!

• Love 2
On 2/3/2017 at 3:44 PM, Silver Raven said:

Audi has a new ad about equal pay for women and the right wing is going ballistic.

I'm a tiny bit bothered by it being for cars most people can't afford, but I still love it. It's completely disgusting to me that anyone has an issue with humans being paid equally for equal work.

• Love 3

It's a silly thing to feel badly about, but I'm sad for Budweiser that their "Coming to America" ad is coming under such fire when it's been in the can for months and months.

I don't drink beer so I need to see what else InBev makes so I can throw money at them.

• Love 8

I didn't get to see all of the Super Bowl, so I didn't see this, but apparently 84 Lumber ran their first ever Super Bowl ad.  And it was about a Mexican mother and her daughter coming to America.  Apparently they said to go to their website in order to see how it ended, and their website crashed.

Here's the whole ad.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Archery said:

Weird that in the end the product that they're advertising doesn't make it into the ad.

Very odd. I would have cut out about half that long journey. Seriously, we would have gotten the point with about half of the middle cut out. I didn't care for the commercial. Only liked the message at the end.

• Love 1
On 2/5/2017 at 0:33 PM, bilgistic said:

It's completely disgusting to me that anyone has an issue with humans being paid equally for equal work.

What's disgusting is politicians who try to pretend we don't already have equal pay for equal work and imply there's discrimination, when the difference in annual earnings is due to women, on average, working fewer hours at different jobs. The "gender wage gap" won't disappear until you get rid of the traditional household model where the guy is the breadwinner.

• Love 3
On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:31 PM, chenoa333 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but there's a Walgreens commercial that is so disturbing I don't even know what they were selling. But the commercial features 2 older grey haired women disrobing to hit the nude beach.

WTF Walgreens? I mean, kudos to older women who go to nude beaches but what the f do they have to do with Walgreens? Seriously, some of these commercials make people over 50 look just plain frigging ridiculous. STOP IT!

They're getting a prescription filled and buying sunscreen.  Actually makes perfect sense.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

What's disgusting is politicians who try to pretend we don't already have equal pay for equal work and imply there's discrimination, when the difference in annual earnings is due to women, on average, working fewer hours at different jobs. The "gender wage gap" won't disappear until you get rid of the traditional household model where the guy is the breadwinner.

This confuses me. It's a fact that an American woman currently makes $0.79 to a man's dollar. That's counting in all factors. The "less hours" myth is a misconstrual of women taking leave, most likely for childbirth.

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

This confuses me. It's a fact that an American woman currently makes $0.79 to a man's dollar. That's counting in all factors. The "less hours" myth is a misconstrual of women taking leave, most likely for childbirth.

I was working as a vet tech and so was a guy. We had the exact same hours, duties (in fact I had more, I did the books too) and responsibility. When I found out that he was getting paid more than I was I asked about it to the head vet and he said "What do you need with more money? You have a husband."

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

An unbiased, comprehensive, study during the Clinton administration put the true gap at 5%, a figure still quoted although a more recent study says that it's too small to measure now. It's not just a matter of hours; it's choice of job. Something that allows you to be home for your kids after school or when they're sick isn't going to pay as well as something with a long rigorous schedule. But that's not unequal pay for equal work. As far as anecdotal evidence, I can point to women getting paid more that their male colleagues. Advertisers should stay out of political issues.

• Love 2