Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

To me, a flop occurs when there is no foul.  LeBron was clearly fouled.  I wasn't surprised that he crashed because he was moving fast when Green went into his shoulder and chest.  I thought it was hard, not flagrant, but you stop getting the benefit of the doubt once everyone realizes you are a dirty player.  

As to crowning the Warriors now, I will let June play itself out, thank you.

A flop is when someone exaggerates any kind of contact (or what can look like contact).  The contact doesnt even have to be foul worthy.  I liked what someone on Mike and Mike said this morning...Lebron acted like he had been hit by a truck, which is funny because it would pretty much take a truck to knock him down like that. Lebron absolutely flopped and he is a known flopper.  Someone of his stature should really give it a rest.  I get why people like Vlade Divac or Anderson Varajao would feel the need to do this...but come on Lebron. 

• Love 1
On 1/12/2017 at 5:18 PM, shoregirl said:

Plus they have more wins this year (11) than all of last season (10) so it seems like they are stepping in the right direction 

And after so long they are FUN again to watch!

• Love 1
On 1/12/2017 at 5:03 PM, xaxat said:

The house is far from finished, but the foundation is strong.

(Yeah, after all of those years us Sixers fans tend to get really defensive.)

21 hours ago, bosawks said:

And after so long they are FUN again to watch!

I hear you, Xaxat, but I'm a Sixers fan, too, and the last few years have been frustrating to say the least. From the deliberate tanking to paying big money for free agents to didn't want to play in Philly and ultimately ended up not playing, every season seems to involve a lot of sighing and scratching my head. 

I'm glad Embiid is healthy, and his play along with his positive and passionate attitude have helped team and fan morale. The only people who don't seem to be happy are Noel and Okafor, who have complained about their decreased playing time. 

2 hours ago, topanga said:

I hear you, Xaxat, but I'm a Sixers fan, too, and the last few years have been frustrating to say the least. From the deliberate tanking to paying big money for free agents to didn't want to play in Philly and ultimately ended up not playing, every season seems to involve a lot of sighing and scratching my head. 

One of the unfortunate things about The Process is how much it split Sixer fandom, Trusters vs Traditionalists. 

But now, with Joel and eventually Simmons, I think we will all be reunited again. 

• Love 4

I understand LeBron has so many fans.  And I mean no disrespect to the fine city of Cleveland.

But I find him to be so annoying that I want to become his fan just so I can get the satisfaction of not liking him for the first time all over again.

I wonder which team that Melo may end up being traded to. Phil Jackson/Knicks definitely want to get rid of him and are trying to move him. They have tried with the Cavs who say they don't want him. Now it is being reported by Yahoo Sports they have reached out to the Clippers and Celtics to see if they are interested in him. I think the Clippers could be a good landing spot for him. The Celtics might could work as well. I also like the thought of him going to OKC and giving Russ some offensive help. But I don't think that Melo wants to go there.

I believe he would have preferred to stay in New York largely because him and his family like staying there. But the Knicks want to get rid of him so I hope he ends up somewhere where he can contend/at least make a playoff run. 

Edited by Jx223

I wonder which team that Melo may end up being traded to. Phil Jackson/Knicks definitely want to get rid of him and are trying to move him. They have tried with the Cavs who say they don't want him. Now it is being reported by Yahoo Sports they have reached out to the Clippers and Celtics to see if they are interested in him. I think the Clippers could be a good landing spot for him. The Celtics might could work as well. I also like the thought of him going to OKC and giving Russ some offensive help. But I don't think that Melo wants to go there.

I believe he would have preferred to stay in New York largely because him and his family like staying there. But the Knicks want to get rid of him so I hope he ends up somewhere where he can contend/at least make a playoff run. 

I don't know where Carmelo Anthony might end up or if he will stay with the sorry Knicks. But, I am grateful that the Cavaliers didn't get him. All Carmelo does is score. He sucks at defense & those Warriors would of eaten him alive. 

I enjoyed that win over the Thunder yesterday. The Cavaliers were slumping for the past few weeks & ESPN is acting like the sky is falling on the Cavaliers. Its like they take glee in seeing them slumping & those Warriors putting the rest of the Western Conference out of their misery. It is near the end of January & the Cavaliers are in a funk. I'm not worried about it. We will be fine. Hopefully, Kyle Korver will get it together in JR Smith's absence (broken thumb & will be out till April). He will be needed in the Playoffs. At least, were not like the Bulls or the Knicks. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Magog said:

I enjoyed that win over the Thunder yesterday. The Cavaliers were slumping for the past few weeks & ESPN is acting like the sky is falling on the Cavaliers.

LeBron is acting like the sky is falling.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

LeBron is acting like the sky is falling.

I became a LeBron fan after he announced he was leaving Cleveland, when people lost their minds and started treating him like the second coming of Hitler. Since then I've been a constant LeBron defender. But even I can't defend the assholery that has come forth from him this week. Anyone who blames everyone except himself for a team's skid is a jerk. Even if you're stupidly convinced that you're playing perfectly and everyone else sucks, you don't say that. Or imply that. You still include yourself when you talk about the things a team needs to do to get better.  

Same goes for Dwyane Wade*. Did he and LeBron call each other and decide to throw their teammates under the bus?

*I just realized I've been spelling his name wrong for years. Why the hell did his mother spell his name "Dwyane"? It's not even phonetically correct!!!! Unless it's supposed to be pronounced "D-whine."

I wonder how Charles Barkley is going to respond to LeBron's harsh comments about him. LeBron definitely was angry and really went at Charles. I do feel like one of the reason's LeBron is so mad is because he is frustrated about how the Cavs have been playing lately.

Also, the Cavs will be working out some free agents including Mario Chalmers, Kirk Hinrich, and Lance Stephenson. I think it would be interesting if they ended up signing Lance, lol. I have always liked him and still want to see him do well.

Edited by Jx223
On 1/31/2017 at 11:11 AM, Jx223 said:

I wonder how Charles Barkley is going to respond to LeBron's harsh comments about him. LeBron definitely was angry and really went at Charles. I do feel like one of the reason's LeBron is so mad is because he is frustrated about how the Cavs have been playing lately.

Also, the Cavs will be working out some free agents including Mario Chalmers, Kirk Hinrich, and Lance Stephenson. I think it would be interesting if they ended up signing Lance, lol. I have always liked him and still want to see him do well.

Heh. If they get Lance Stephenson he can blow in LeBron's ear whenever he wants. 

Russell Westbrook had another good night dropping 42 points against the Blazers, including 19 of the Thunders last 22. I am glad the Thunder have strung together a couple of wins since Kanter broke his arm. I am concerned that they will lose a lot of games with him out because he is their second most efficient scorer. Last time I checked they moved down to 7th place in the Western Conference and I am concerned they could move out of playoff contention with Kanter being out for a while. Hopefully they can hang in there and stay in playoff contention. I also hope they win in their third meeting with the Warriors on Feb 11th.

Also, I think it is impressive how well Isaiah Thomas is playing for the Celtics and am interested in seeing what happens with them this season. I also really liked what I saw with the Timberwolves team in their game against Cleveland and I wonder if they might sneak into the playoffs this year.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

The Cavs/Wizards tonight was a very good game. It was very competitive and a nice pace and energy to it. I also thought it had a playoff feel to it. I am glad to see the Wizards are playing well. Maybe they will help make things interesting/fun come playoff time.

• Love 3

Contrast that to the Knicks, who got stomped by an eighteen win Lakers team at home. Hornacek accused his starters of not playing with pride, the postgame show was all "I don't want to say the team has quit. . . but. . ." and even the irrepressible Walt Frazier couldn't find any positives tonight. 

The Cavs/Wizards tonight was a very good game. It was very competitive and a nice pace and energy to it. I also thought it had a playoff feel to it. I am glad to see the Wizards are playing well. Maybe they will help make things interesting/fun come playoff time.

That game was so much fun to watch. Both teams going back & forth, John Wall & Bradley Beale hitting big shot after big shot, LeBron hitting that shot to tie the game & send it to Overtime, and the Cavaliers finding a way to win the game in Overtime after LeBron fouled out. Hopefully, this type of game will get the Cavaliers out of their funk. 

Kevin Love was essential in the Cavaliers winning tonight. If that was Carmelo Anthony in that spot, the Cavaliers would of found a way to lose the game. 

If anybody is counting, DeMarcus Cousins got his 15th technical tonight & the Kings lose again. Why is this guy worth $200 Million again? This fool would of been perfect for the Knicks.

I don't think it should matter who you are...calling a reporter trash is never ok.

You want to say the report itself was trash?  Fine, if that's how you feel.  But disparaging a guy to other reporters should not be given a pass.

(edited)
On 2/7/2017 at 2:02 AM, Magog said:

If anybody is counting, DeMarcus Cousins got his 15th technical tonight & the Kings lose again.

Matt Barnes, Rajon Rondo and Boogie Cousins. The league is lucky that didn't devolve into another Malice at the Palace.

ETA It's hard to believe, but the Knicks might be more dysfunctional now than they were back when Isiah Thomas was getting sued for sexual harassment and Stephon Marbury was threatening to blackmail him.

Edited by xaxat

I wish that OKC would have won tonight. But they just are unable to beat Golden State. Russell did score a lot of points tonight (and also a lot of turnovers) but OKC still lost by double digits. Nobody else on the Thunder really had a big game. OKC's bench played poorly. I would like to see Russell get more help. Maybe they can eventually convince another good player to go to OKC. Maybe someone like Anthony Davis.

I wouldn't be surprised if GS pretty much breezes to the finals. I don't see anyone really challenging them out West(except maybe the Spurs). Memphis did beat them twice this year but Memphis also lost to them yesterday and I could see them beating Memphis in the playoffs. I think that the Cavs may be challenged more in the east by teams like the Wizards and Celtics.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, xaxat said:

Not exactly subtle Buddy.

Meh, he did what everyone playing and watching wants to do. Demarcus meanwhile got another technical which puts him just one away from another suspension. If he misses a game for every 2 techs he's going to be out at least once a week.  ARGH! (It's so frustrating too, because the Kings are actually winning lately and definitely could not win without him. We are stuck.)

The Knicks are an absolute mess.  But we've been that for like 15 years....The only difference now is that its gotten so much national attention. 

I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that we will never win a chip....shoot I'd go so far as to say we'll never be competitive enough to compete for 'chip if Dolan remains owner.  I might literally go my whole life without seeing this team win it all.  Talk about dysfunction at all levels.  The owner is an ass (we knew that already) who is now banning former Knick greats from the Garden and then using others to prop himself up.  (I'm very disappointed in you Sprewell...I still have your jersey from my youth packed up somewhere). Are things so bad you're willing to be used like this?  Ugg.  Hope you at least get a job out of this.   Anyway, Dolan has proven his incompetence in so many ways...like our current president I wonder where Dolan would be if he wasnt born with a silver spoon in his mouth.  

But then we have Phil Jackson...speaking of our current president Phil looks to be trying to outdo him for best twitter fingers of the year. I mean sheesh. Wtf are you doing?

What free agent worth anything would want to come here? I honestly dont know why Melo wants to stay either. I guess his wife would prefer to stay and what not....but id be thinking about winning a chip and at the very least having some peace.  Its been like nonstop drama alllll season with this team.  Im fed up.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1

I wish that OKC would have won tonight. But they just are unable to beat Golden State. Russell did score a lot of points tonight (and also a lot of turnovers) but OKC still lost by double digits. Nobody else on the Thunder really had a big game. OKC's bench played poorly. I would like to see Russell get more help. Maybe they can eventually convince another good player to go to OKC. Maybe someone like Anthony Davis.

There is a better chance of Anthony Davis going to the Lakers when he hits Free Agency than going to OKC. 

As for Saturday Night's game, it was very boring & borderline torture to watch. I turned that game off at half time & took a nap. That nap was more refreshing than watching those Warriors pummel another Western Conference opponent. Next Thursday after the All Star Break, those Warriors are going to massacre the Clippers. I don't know what Western Conference team will be the sacrificial lamb & get the 8th seed, but I'm certain that those Warriors are licking their chops waiting to massacre them.

Edited by Magog

For me anyone who massacres the Clippers is alright in my book. Big shot coach Rivers left the Celtics because he didn't want a young team. Well, how has that worked out so far. The Clippers haven't won crap, the Celtics are first in their division and things are looking good with the new coach.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

The Knicks are an absolute mess.  But we've been that for like 15 years....The only difference now is that its gotten so much national attention. 

I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that we will never win a chip....shoot I'd go so far as to say we'll never be competitive enough to compete for 'chip if Dolan remains owner.  I might literally go my whole life without seeing this team win it all.  Talk about dysfunction at all levels.  The owner is an ass (we knew that already) who is now banning former Knick greats from the Garden and then using others to prop himself up.  (I'm very disappointed in you Sprewell...I still have your jersey from my youth packed up somewhere). Are things so bad you're willing to be used like this?  Ugg.  Hope you at least get a job out of this.   Anyway, Dolan has proven his incompetence in so many ways...like our current president I wonder where Dolan would be if he wasnt born with a silver spoon in his mouth.  

But then we have Phil Jackson...speaking of our current president Phil looks to be trying to outdo him for best twitter fingers of the year. I mean sheesh. Wtf are you doing?

What free agent worth anything would want to come here? I honestly dont know why Melo wants to stay either. I guess his wife would prefer to stay and what not....but id be thinking about winning a chip and at the very least having some peace.  Its been like nonstop drama alllll season with this team.  Im fed up.

It is now being reported that James Dolan, Charles Oakley, and Adam Silver have met to try and resolve the conflict James and Charles are having. Michael Jordan also participated in this meeting by telephone. Adam Silver has released a statement about this and said that James hopes that Charles will his guest at MSG in the near future. Hopefully things will work out on that front.

Unfortunately, the Knicks do have a lot of issues and have been in the news a lot lately for negative things. I think that Phil Jackson is responsible for a lot of this negativity.  He has handled trying to trade Carmelo poorly. I think he is wrong for the way he has constantly criticized and tried to devalue Melo. I think that Melo has done a really good job handling Phil's criticism.

I do think that the Knicks are going to have hard time attracting free agents because of the way that the organization has been acting. Especially Phil. Players may not want to deal with him possibly constantly criticizing them for not living up to his standards like he has done with Melo. In addition to James Dolan and his actions and the team not really being in contention for a while now.

Regarding Melo, I had thought he might have been better off had he went somewhere like Chicago when he had the opportunity to do so a couple of years ago. Right now I think he might end up being okay if he went to a team like the Clippers. It does seem like he doesn't want to leave New York though.

But on a positive note the Knicks did get a nice win against the Spurs the other day. They played some defense and got a nice team win. They would be better off if they tried to play more like they did yesterday.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

I do think that the Knicks are going to have hard time attracting free agents because of the way that the organization has been acting.

I think the bigger roadblock will be the new CBA. Incumbent teams can offer even more money to resign their free agents. 

Besides, I don't think the Knicks should be looking at free agents. It's hard to build a champion that way. Over the last twenty plus years, only two FA acquisitions have been the key player on a Finals winner, Shaq and LeBron.

It's going to be painful, but I think the best case scenario is for the Knicks to go through a late career Kobe/Lakers type collapse. Hit bottom and rack up some ping pong balls.  

1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

It does seem like he doesn't want to leave New York though.

From what I've heard, it's his wife that really doesn't want to leave New York. Apparently Chicago wasn't big enough for her when he was flirting with FA.

4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Whenever I hear the dismissive "It's a good thing he can dribble a basketball" when an NBAer gives his opinion on something, it strikes me as narrow-mindedness at best, racism at worst. 

With that said, I say to Kyrie Irving, "It's a good thing he can dribble a basketball."

Normally I would agree, but not in this case. 

That seriously screwed up that Kyrie believes the earth is flat.  Its just delusional in this day and age.  There may be something seriously psychologically wrong with him. 

And he thinks its EVERYONE ELSE that is wrong and are stupid for believing the earth is round, because we aren't "thinking for ourselves".

I can't stand it when people read some internet BS (sorry, previously.tv, not you) and convince themselves this constitutes "
research" and "thinking for themselves" somehow. 

I can't really view Kyrie the same way after this.  I am not a Cavs fan but I was impressed with the way he played in the finals last year, he came up huge and proved himself an elite, clutch player in that series.  I try to separate the player on the court from their off the court views, but in a case like this, I just can't.  Its just completely delusional.  And arrogant, really, the way he explains it, basically saying he is smarter than the other 8 billion or so people on earth because they are wrong and not thinking by believing the earth is round. 

• Love 1

I've have been enjoying watching the All-Star events this weekend.I thought that Eric Gordon did a good job in the three point contest. The Dunk contest wasn't as good as last year's but I am happy for Glen Robinson III for winning and being the first Pacer player to do so. I thought that the the tribute to Craig Sager tonight and raising money for his foundation was very nice and entertaining. I liked seeing the different players, including Reggie try and raise money for his foundation. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

I've have been enjoying watching the All-Star events this weekend.I thought that Eric Gordon did a good job in the three point contest. The Dunk contest wasn't as good as last year's but I am happy for Glen Robinson III for winning and being the first Pacer player to do so. I thought that the the tribute to Craig Sager tonight and raising money for his foundation was very nice and entertaining. I liked seeing the different players, including Reggie try and raise money for his foundation. 

I enjoyed that Craig Sager tribute tonight. He most certainly deserved it. It was also nice seeing Stephen Curry missed those half-court shorts.

I don't care who wins the All Star Game tonight because its meaningless. But just as long that the MVP is not from one of the Golden State Warriors, I will enjoy watching it.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

I enjoyed tonight's All-Star Game. Congrats to Anthony Davis for breaking Wilt Chamberlain's scoring record in an All-Star Game and winning MVP. He played very well. 

Also, I am seeing reports on Twitter that the Kings are in discussions with other teams to possibly trade Boogie Cousins. It's being reported that they told one team that they were eliminated from the talks because they have an offer from a better team. I wonder if they trade Boogie what team he will go to.  

There are also reports that Paul George may not end up signing an extension with the Pacers because he is concerned about winning. And a report that the Pelicans are inquiring about Boogie and Paul George and that Jimmy Butler may also be traded.The trade deadline is Thursday and I am definitely am interested in seeing which players may end up being traded. Maybe two of these players might end up on the same team together or maybe a team like the Celtics will get one of these players.

**Now I'm seeing a report from ESPN that the Kings have decided to trade Boogie to the Pelicans for Buddy Hield, 2 other players and a first and second round picks. I think that is interesting and that him and Anthony Davis could be a good big man combo.

Edited by Jx223

I can't believe Sacramento finally pulled the trigger on Boogie. But for draft picks? The front office must have some sense of awareness that they suck at making picks. Willie Cauley-Stein I like, but Jimmer Fredette, Nik Stauskas, Ben McLemore? Did not work out. 

Fun fact, Jimmer plays in China now and put up 70+ in a game today. 

This could also bite the Pelicans bc there is no guarantee that he stays at the end of the season, and also with every other Technical, he's out a game. Oh and also he's a toxic man-child. 

A lot of basketball people made fun of Sam Hinkie for negotiating a 2017 pick swap as part of a deal the Sixers made with Sacramento.

Who's laughing now? TTP!

(And that 2019 unprotected pick he got from them is looking a lot better.)

Edited by xaxat
Misspellings. I need to be more careful when posting while drunk.
  • Love 1

That is going to suck if Paul George goes to the Celtics.  For the Pacers that is. 

I just get sick of all the traditional powers getting trades like this to help them win a title.  But if he isn't going to resign in the offseason have to get something for him. 

Then the Pacers have to hope they get something good with the draft picks. 

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That is going to suck if Paul George goes to the Celtics.  For the Pacers that is. 

I just get sick of all the traditional powers getting trades like this to help them win a title.  But if he isn't going to resign in the offseason have to get something for him. 

Then the Pacers have to hope they get something good with the draft picks. 

I will miss Paul George playing for the Pacers if he's traded. But I understand why he may want to leave Indiana.. Indy and some other teams are in that tough place where they aren't good enough to really contend but not really bad enough to get a really high draft pick. And talented players like Paul George are kind of stranded in these situations unless they are traded or eventually decide to leave.

It also doesn't help that their chances of winning are even less likely because we now have some Superteams out there. And that a lot of other players don't really want to go to smaller market teams to play with these players especially if the team is struggling.

Those are some reasons why I think that it could be good if some of these players in these situations do pair up with other players in similar situations.  Players like DeMarcus Cousins, Russell Westbrook,Anthony Davis, Paul George, Jimmy Butler, etc  don't all need to become another Superteam, but I think it could work if some of them pair up together in different places (like some of their smaller market teams). Like Boogie/Anthony in New Orleans, one of these players going to be with Russell Westbrook in OKC, the Celtics trading for one of them, etc... I think things like these happening could help make the league more competitive in this era where a lot of people currently think that it's all but guaranteed that Golden State/Cleveland will be dominating for a bit.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

The All Star Game was OK, even though I wish that one of the teams would of reached 200 points. Thankfully, Curry & Durant didn't get the MVP.

I didn't know that Wilt Chamberlain had held the record for the most points scored in the All Star Game (42). If he was playing in today's All Star Game, he would of scored at least 70 points. 

I could careless about that Westbrook alley oop to Durant in the 1st Quarter. There was nothing heartwarming about it. They still hate each other & ESPN was talking about it way too much during the All Star Break. 

Is there any way possible that we see more of that King Cake Baby Mascot? He is so adorable & is very harmless. He is nothing to be scared of.

Twitter : King Cake Baby

Now I'm seeing a report from ESPN that the Kings have decided to trade Boogie to the Pelicans for Buddy Hield, 2 other players and a first and second round picks. I think that is interesting and that him and Anthony Davis could be a good big man combo.

I'm very certain that the Warriors are not shaking in their boots about this trade & the Pelicans. They're probably licking their chops over that possible massacre that they're going to give to the Pelicans when they meet again.

Lakers hire Magic Johnson, fire Mitch Kupchak, demote Jim Buss in front office shakeup.

Let's find an appropriate Simpsons quote: "Why now, why not five years ago?"

I'm sure that Stephen A Smith is celebrating right now. I wonder who is his next whipping boy now that Jim Buss is gone. I'm still shocked that he hasn't strangled Jim Buss. Hopefully, Magic Johnson will found a way to bring even more misery to the Lakers. I really want this to fail & the Lakers become like the Knicks. 

Edited by Magog