Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

I just miss seeing Inside the NBA after every game. It's just not the same :)

However I don't really have a favorite team these days so I'm all right with a seven game series.

• Love 3

Yeah, I miss Inside the NBA as well.  Even though ESPN/ABC has the Finals, I sorta wished that they'd run the program at the conclusion of the games (which would follow random TNT programming but whatever).  Instead, we have to settle for SVP (after changing the channel).  There was a brief postgame after Game 2 but as is the custom, it was an early start.

One thing I'll say briefly is that it'll be a total bummer if ESPN/ABC loses their rights to the Finals to Turner several years down the road.  People might say it was long-overdue; nothing against folks like D-Wade, Candice Parker, and Draymond, but it'll be a shame if/when TNT gets exclusive coverage of the NBA Finals without the star power of Ernie, Kenny, and Charles as part of the team.

FWIW, I purposely excluded Shaq because I think he'll still be active in about a decade from now.  On a separate note, SVP is very good overall.  When talking about hoops, it's not Inside the NBA, but it's quality programming (and top notch during the football season).

Both Boston & Golden State have something I'd admire about them, while having something I dislike about them.  While I'm leaning Warriors, the Celtics are a very good team.  While they'll probably have to deal with better East teams next year, they are improving themselves.  As are the Warriors, who'll probably have to deal with Dallas and a healthier Phoenix team in 2022-2023.

I'm glad the Warriors won on Friday.  I'm not a fan of sweeps, gentleman sweeps, or 3-1 stuff.  I'd also prefer not to see a team down 0-2 win their next four games either (not a big deal as it's a competitive series before it's not).  I like a very solid series, where the teams are trading back and forth.  This year's NBA Finals are doing just that.  

Curry could crush it going forward, to where he's the best player from either team, but he's not winning series most valuable player unless the Warriors win 2 more games.

What's crazy is that either team can win; I can totally see Boston win on Monday and then Sunday, or Golden State can win out.  Unlike in the NFL or College Basketball, you have a chance to adjust after a loss.  Probably easier said than done, especially when there's a great defense in Boston.  However, a team that's been there before always finds a way.  They might not win the Finals, but their not going to get run out of the final round either.  For the most part; they could actually get routed in Game 5 & 6; but at least we're getting at least two more games

• Love 2

I love steph curry. I live literally 15 minutes from Davidson where he went to college. Greatest shooter ever, and I grew up idolizing bird and Reggie Miller. He's better than them. 

But I'm sick of hearing about his parents. I dont care who they are dating now

• Like 1

Rooting for the Celtics in the Tatum/Brown era is pretty confounding. You could tell me that they get completely outclassed from here on out and I’d believe you. You could tell me that they clamp down the Warriors and look like the best team in NBA history and I’d believe you. Most likely they alternate quarters where they look awesome and where they look terrible until they go into the 4th quarter of Game 7 tied. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Too many freaking turnovers, constant bricking 3 pointers, and laying down & basically playing dead in the 4th Quarter (after coming back from the dead in the 3rd Quarter) doomed the Celtics tonight. Also, the only likable player for those Warriors not named Draymond (Andrew Wiggins) played really excellent tonight. The rest of the role players on those Warriors also played very well tonight (😠). Jordan Poole made the play of the game with that buzzer-beater at the end of the 3rd Quarter.

In conclusion, thanks for nothing tonight Celtics. Other than that comeback in the 3rd Quarter, they pretty much sucked tonight. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Marley said:

Yes love it! Thank you Andrew Wiggins!

Lets end it in game 6! Klay Steph and Andrew need to be on top of their game tho to pull it off.

Well, there's always Game 6 Klay. He's due for a big game. 😀

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3

The good news for Boston is that it's not over until it's over.  Especially after their rally at the expense of Miami & Milwaukee.  The bad news?  Golden State > Heat X Bucks

Even though I'm sure Adam Silver would love a game 7, I need the Warriors to finish this in Boston. 

The Warriors can get complacent sometimes, and I hope they don't have the mindset of, "If we don't win on Thursday, we still have the chance to come back to the Bay and do it there.".  But you never know.  You don't want to give the Celtics any opportunity to find something.

I'm sure Curry bounces back, and hopefully we get Game 6 Klay so...go Warriors!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm not going to write this Celtics team off, but if they're unable to capitalise on Steph having a really bad night, they might have hit a wall.

Tatum looks great in this series, if you only look at the stats, but his contributions on the court just aren't what they should be, for a star player. The Warriors look like they've figured out a reliable way of beating Robert Williams' defense in the paint - midrange floaters and hook shots. If Steph had even an average night, this would have been a crushing defeat for the Celtics.

I find it funny that Celtics fans are still complaining about the refs, despite their hilarious advantage in free throws awarded.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I find it funny that Celtics fans are still complaining about the refs, despite their hilarious advantage in free throws awarded.

Well, I mean...consider the source.

• Like 7

Tatum's shooting has been poor all series though he's been getting assists and playing good D. He has just set the record for total turnovers in a playoff run, so that's a mixed accomplishment at best.

I anticipate Scott Foster for Game 6 for the patented Extender treatment. 

• Sad 2

Time for bed.  I'm turning in and peacefully passing out. Anything can happen, but there's no reason to stay up tonight.  I'll be up tomorrow following a (very) good great night's rest, and I'm not going to have read for confirmation that validates my awesome pick of Warriors in six.  Similar to staying up for what should be a nice celebration at the Garden, there's no need to toss sleep time in the trash (though it's to Friday).  I might be on here or elsewhere to see the news.  It'll likely surface in my app(s).  However, I'll see it at some point. 

The fact is? Golden State gets 4 in 8 years and Curry get that MVP. Yeah!

• Sad 1
(edited)

Yay! Love it! This makes me really happy. No game 6 Thompson but Curry killed it. 

Too bad it couldn’t be at home but what can ya do lol.

Edited by Marley
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

WAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRIORRRRRRSSSSSSSSSS! You have Steph Curry and Draymond Green on the court, you already have what it takes to win against anybody, anytime. Our supporting cast stepped up, most particularly one Andrew Wiggins. And put to rest the idea that our dynasty is even in the slightest bit done. Well tried, Boston! See you next year maybe. You played honorably which is a lot more than can be said for some teams the Dubs have faced in the last 8 years. What a season!

• Sad 1
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

OH THANK GOD!!!!! I did NOT want a game 7 on my birthday. Now I can enjoy my birthday, basking in the glow of the Dub's win. 

Happy Birthday! The Dubs are happy for you to bask away! As am I! Have a brilliant long run up exulting in our championship!

• Sad 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Steph gets his first Finals MVP! Well deserved! 

Maybe they'll have the parade on Sunday. That would be a fun birthday treat. 😃

Sorry, its on Monday! But I believe in birthday *months* ☺️

• Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Well, Celtics fall short but I’m not too torn up about it. They finally leveled up and got out of the East, taking advantage of their breaks. While I was hopeful they could beat a resurgent Steph, it turns out they’re still great and the C’s aren’t quite there yet. Let’s see what they do now. 

(edited)

So Steph finally gets his Finals MVP, to go with four championship rings. Absolutely deserved, for him and for all these guys.

Steve Kerr on winning nine championships: "If you hang around superstars, good things happen."

And Draymond being Draymond: "Welcome back to the Warriors Invitational, baby!"

It will be interesting to see how the Warriors develop their young players, and whether this success can be sustained further. As Joe Lacob has said, he's willing to pay the luxury tax to win (as all owners should) so these players will all be back.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Sad 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
11 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Someone needs to do a wellness check on @Magog

I'm fine. Even though I was constantly nauseous & dry-heaving throughout that stroll in the park ass whopping by those Warriors. And I got up this morning & threw up a couple of times. My neck is currently hurting. Other than that, I'm OK.

10 hours ago, isalicat said:

Well tried, Boston! See you next year maybe. You played honorably which is a lot more than can be said for some teams the Dubs have faced in the last 8 years.

The Celtics went up 14-2 early & basically lay down & play dead for the rest of the game. They also had 22 turnovers which contributed to this game being over at halftime. What a bunch of losers & I don't ever want to hear anymore about Jayson Tatum & his "Mamba Mentality" and being in the same level as Kobe.

8 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Well, Celtics fall short but I’m not too torn up about it. They finally leveled up and got out of the East, taking advantage of their breaks. While I was hopeful they could beat a resurgent Steph, it turns out they’re still great and the C’s aren’t quite there yet. Let’s see what they do now. 

BTW, I'm very certain that the Celtics will NOT be back in the NBA Finals next season. They'll probably be like the OKC Thunder 10 yrs ago.

As for those wretched scummy Warriors, other than Draymond being his usual lovable & classy self, I was only happy for Andrew Wiggins. He was a big help & I'm very happy that he got his first ring. 

I feel like Steph's Finals MVP award (FINALLY!!!) was the universe's personal gift to Magog.

Steph being Steph (34 points), getting his first Final MVP (no surprise there), & his constant happy-go-lucky smile made me sick to my stomach. Watching that & those Warriors winning another title is basically like watching Bugs Bunny, Dallas Cowboys, Darth Vader, Judge Doom, Bill Cipher, & Emperor Belos being triumphant at the end. The parade is going to absolutely suck & I'm certain that ESPN will be there cheering & praising their Warriors & their Golden Boy.

Edited by Magog
  • Hugs 1

How's that BPI working out for you ESPN?

I had no problem with them picking the Celtics to win, but the idea that they were an overwhelming favorite was ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

Fascinating. Like a clinic.
The Warriors were clearly well-prepared,
On defense, they anticipated almost every Celtic move, leading to several defenders clustering around a lone Celtic, stripping the ball, or forcing wild shots.
On offense, they executed team screens, picks, and motion.  Brilliant. 
Of course, they had the amazing Steph Curry. 
But, behind it all, I give credit to the coaching staff which identified how to play against an individually talented opponent.  Kudos to Kerr and his staff.
<<SIGH>> Maybe next year.  😜

• Sad 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Magog said:

As for those wretched scummy Warriors, other than Draymond being his usual lovable & classy self, I was only happy for Andrew Wiggins. He was a big help & I'm very happy that he got his first ring.

Draymond is many things, but classy is not, and has never been, one of them.  I love him, and he's entertaining, but he's a shit.

2 hours ago, Magog said:

I'm fine. Even though I was constantly nauseous & dry-heaving throughout that stroll in the park ass whopping by those Warriors. And I got up this morning & threw up a couple of times. My neck is currently hurting. Other than that, I'm OK.

We're going to get you through this, @Magog.  The only true cure, and you're going to resist it, is to accept the love you have in your heart for Steph.  It's there and has been there all along.  We might have to force it, A Clockwork Orange-style, but I promise it'll be worth it!

• LOL 10

I thought the Celtics had their chances and couldn't capitalize.  Not just last night but the whole series. Beyond steph the scoring options were limited for GS.  Klay shot poorly the whole series. It was far from a dominating performance by the warriors. A low scoring game six. Celtics had little from 3s missed open opportunities. 

Nine total titles for Steve Kerr pretty amazing. That's up there in the top echelon for all major team sports and the NBA. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

We're going to get you through this, @Magog.  The only true cure, and you're going to resist it, is to accept the love you have in your heart for Steph.  It's there and has been there all along.  We might have to force it, A Clockwork Orange-style, but I promise it'll be worth it!

Magog is Durant.  Not the best kept secret I suppose LOL!

• Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
34 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Draymond is many things, but classy is not, and has never been, one of them.  I love him, and he's entertaining, but he's a shit.

I like Draymond but I agree.  He is a shit.  

Every time I see him, I want to yell "DRAYMOND!!!" like my mom used to yell at my brother when he did something stupid or got on her nerves. 😆

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Amin Al-Hassan on LeBatard - Steph now has four titles, as many as LeBron.  Does this mean that LeBron isn’t even the best player in his own era?!?

To this I say bwahahahahahahaha.  I agree, Amin!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Magog is Durant.  Not the best kept secret I suppose LOL!

11 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

You know, you might be right!  🤣 

No I am not Kevin Durant. I'm not here for his sensitive feelings or him feeling some type of way that those Warriors won it all without him. He can get bent.

Someone needs to check on Montae Ellis, wherever he is. Those Warriors (back when they were likable) kicked him to the curb a long time ago for Steph & he is pretty much an afterthought. He has to be crying in the closet in anger a lot since those Warriors have been successful since he was traded from them.

22 minutes ago, Carey said:

I will accept the love in my heart for Steph when the Dallas Cowboys win another Super Bowl or the sorry ass New York Knicks win another championship, whichever comes first.

On 6/17/2022 at 7:05 AM, Magog said:

Steph being Steph (34 points), getting his first Final MVP (no surprise there), & his constant happy-go-lucky smile made me sick to my stomach.

I liked Steph's night-night celebration he pulled on every single team he eliminated these playoffs, but I loved when he pointed to his ring finger, signaling an imminent new ring, in the third quarter.

Also, him breaking down in the final minute was such a genuine moment. It really showed how much he'd been bottling up waiting for this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 7

Kenny Atkinson, asst. coach on the Warriors staff, had accepted the head coaching job at Charlotte but has now changed his mind and will stay with the Warriors. Inside speculation is that he would rather wait on Kerr to retire whenever Steph does and take over the Warriors than go be somewhere else (yes, this is entirely speculation amongst us fans).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I guess it's Atkinson basically emulating McDaniels.  To be fair, the GSW culture seems so good; why leave a good thing to go to something that you might get booted from while Golden State continues to stack up glorified wins.  However, he might end up going to another great place especially if a wait takes longer than he expected

• Love 1
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Well, he can move up one seat right away now that Mike Brown is free to head to Sacto. 

Yah...Brown is already putting out feelers to get our Loon to go to the Kangz. Hands off!!!

15 hours ago, isalicat said:

Kenny Atkinson, asst. coach on the Warriors staff, had accepted the head coaching job at Charlotte but has now changed his mind and will stay with the Warriors.

450px-And_I_Took_That_Personally.jpg

• LOL 14
19 hours ago, isalicat said:

Kenny Atkinson, asst. coach on the Warriors staff, had accepted the head coaching job at Charlotte but has now changed his mind and will stay with the Warriors. Inside speculation is that he would rather wait on Kerr to retire whenever Steph does and take over the Warriors than go be somewhere else (yes, this is entirely speculation amongst us fans).

Steve Kerr is only 56.  Why would one assume he will retire with steph?  Seems like wishful thinking on his part. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Steve Kerr is only 56.  Why would one assume he will retire with steph?  Seems like wishful thinking on his part. 

To continue in an *entirely speculative* mode, at best (barring injury) Steph has another four years at top level and at that point Steve Kerr will be 60 (plus the years of stress from coaching at the NBA level!). I would think they would both be ready for a new challenge of some sort - Steph is already building a business/entertainment empire and Steve Kerr dips his toes circumspectly into the public sphere so could go full tilt into public policy/politics/who knows? or move into a GM role with the Warriors....lots of possibilities. I don't see him following Popovich's example and coaching on and on. I mean he only has nine rings already!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The Hornets don't have a good rep as a well-run organization. 

Agreed.

So why did Atkinson bother interviewing (twice), accepting the job, setting up contract parameters, and then bailing nine days later? Less than a week before the draft, and less than two weeks before NBA free agency.

Dick move.

• Love 4