Type keyword(s) to search

John Noble Is Joining The Cast Of Elementary...But Where Else Should He Go?

As a Fringe fan I'm still not ready to see him play someone else's dad, heh. Him and Josh Jackson were so great together, their relationship was so great. But I like John Noble so I'll probably check it out.

• Love 3

I'm...unsure. I didn't hate him on Sleepy Hollow. He did the best he could and I, for the most part, enjoyed him. What he was given wasn't great, but I grew to dislike the character, not his depiction of said character.

Personally, I would have preferred to never meet Papa Holmes. I sometimes like characters that are referred to and sometimes have an impact on the story but aren't seen or heard. However, I was very dubious about Kitty and that was successful so I'll keep my mind open and realize that these writers sometimes play the long game. There were hints about Sherlock's relapse all season and it I think it was handled very well. 

• Love 1

I think he and Johnny will work well together, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Noble act with Lucy. With Sleepy Hollow, he was all evil and annoying. I think if he gets scenes with Watson, then we'll likely see a more emotional and insecure side. Which is what I enjoyed most when it came to Noble's work on Fringe. I'm assuming that at least for the first portion of the season next year, any scenes between Noble and Miller will involve Noble being all mean and stoney, and Miller being all angsty and angry.

Although, I do have my reservations. I pretty much hated any episode involving Sherlock's brother.

*sigh

I think I'm a little Nobled out right now. Due not to anything he's done, but the way his character was written on Sleepy Hollow. And then he guested on Forever and was kind of evil on that show as well, so... I just think I've had enough of him being evil or sinister.

Like frenchtoast says, I was dubious about Kitty as well, thought I'd hate her, but I didn't, so you never know. I could end up thinking his Holmes Sr. is amazing. But right now I'm disappointed. I think there were less obvious choices they could have gone with, including some lovely suggestions made right here in the forum.

• Love 1

I checked out of Sleepy Hollow after the first season so I'm free of that association. I have been enjoying Elementary so I'm looking forward to the noble Noble showing up. I also am in the midst of a Fringe rewatch & throughly enjoying Walter again.

• Love 1

We had sort of checked out of Elementary after a few seasons (except when Rhys Ifans guests), but if Mr. Noble has signed on, we will add it to the viewing list - such is his power.

• Love 1

Grey's Anatomy. Noble as the gruff, anti social systems engineer who maintains everything from the power circuits to the machines that go ping. Walks in on people having sex to adjust a server repeater, leaves without comment. When Avery Senior buys a brand new top of the line smart phone and can't get it to work, he helps her, using his ability to understand manuals badly translated from chinese. Forestalls disaster by correctly predicting that the trail of an ant infestation will result in chemical traces being deposited in sensitive analysis machinery. Ends ghost event by slapping the person seeing the ghost.

I did not care for him on Sleepy Hollow, but I realize that was just one role. I find, however, that I don't like him on this show either. I think they could have found a different more interesting actor to play Sherlock's father.  

• Love 1

I enjoy how every actor who is added to the cast is greeted with loads of "I don't like him" before enough time has passed to establish... well... anything.

So far, in most cases, that tune changes but then it goes again for the next.

• Love 1

I did not care for him on Sleepy Hollow, but I realize that was just one role. I find, however, that I don't like him on this show either. I think they could have found a different more interesting actor to play Sherlock's father.  

Unfortunately, I am so tainted by the mess over at SH, that it's really hard for me to get past that. The scenes with Sherlock and his father, I kept thinking, "Oh look - there's John Noble character, acting opposite a character with a unusual first name, who is supposed to be highly intelligent, yet is crusty, quirky and stiff-demeanoured, and the actor just happens to be a tall skinny British guy. *shrug*

• Love 1

I guess we are in the minority, but I don't like him on Sherlock at all.  He was great on Fringe.  Sleepy Hollow was a disaster, although I blame the writing there. 

I loved how he started out on Sleepy Hollow. He was terrific when he was just "The SinEater." But when they made him more than that (in a ridiculous and annoying way), then everything fell apart. I definitely blame the writers on that one.

So far on Elementary I'm undecided. He seems fine, so far, but I feel like they're just getting warmed up. I'm mildly suspicious of his character, based on the way Sherlock has built him up with his scathing jokes and retorts, but he's been surprisingly "decent" ... sort of... LOL... so I feel like I'm waiting for the proverbial other shoe to drop. The smack in the face that reminds me that Sherlock has reason for making those derogatory comments. I feel he'll show his true stripes eventually; I just hope the writing matches that dynamic well.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2