Type keyword(s) to search

TLC: But Trashy And Tacky Are Taken Already!

• Start Topic

(edited)

Those wonderful folks who brought you the poor guy with the 132 lb scrotum, are back with The Women with the World's Biggest Hips, which premiers Friday, along with The Grandmother Lovers.
Who needs the Duggars? 
And if these aren't winners, they can try to get the Gypsy brides to Say Yes to the Dress, and have the Four Weddings brides all marrying the same polygamist
Class tells.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 5
(edited)

I noticed my on screen guide said Woman with..., but TLC page says Women.  Series, or one off
It occurs to me that a show called Sister Wives has the potential to break new ground, even for TV.

@WendyCR72, can you correct the title to "trashy" rather than "trash?"  I clicked to soon, and didn't see a way to edit.  Thank you!

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 1

Thank you, Wendy!
Now, if you all set your DVRs for 6 & 6:30, at least the next 2 mornings, you will see Best Funeral Ever!

Also, their schedule show an afternoon Four Weddings (Halted Vows?) as a premier, but I haven't checked yet

• Love 2

I am a sucker for separated family stories. Last night after Who Do You Think You Are?, there was a new (to me) show, Long Lost Family. Might have been Families. Couldn't help myself, allergies were acting up something terrible when the adoptee was told their family had been found and then when they met each other. It may be a little on the tacky side, but if they can find some family and learn about themselves or what happened, good for them.

• Love 1

Shit!  I just discovered this forum (for TLC)!  Just last night I was looking all over this website for a place to comment on TLC's new show w/Roma Downey, "Answered Prayers."  I've now watched 2 episodes, and last night's was a re-hash (different format & updated) of 2 episodes I recognized from "I Survived..."  I actually really liked that show, but I'm thinking this is going to continue with Roma Downey's show.  Did any of you watch it ("Answered Prayers")? 

• Love 1

I have a question about a tacky show, "The Haunting of..." I am curious and I've looked all over and can't find the answer, missed the beginning, episode is with Audrina Patridge. What city are they in? This was a particularly insipid episode. Ms Patridge seemed to be parroting everything that Ms Russo said.Some of the shows are rather interesting, but lately they are all getting on my nerves.

I have a question about a tacky show, "The Haunting of..." I am curious and I've looked all over and can't find the answer, missed the beginning, episode is with Audrina Patridge. What city are they in?

The Haunting Of is on LMN, not TLC:

http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/the-haunting-of/video/full-episodes

Audrina Patridge returns to an historic pub in Chicago where she was accosted by an angry spirit. Their journey takes an unexpected turn as Kim Russo uncovers more of Audrina's story.

Sorry if this sounds offensive, these TLC show titles sound like they're in full freak show mode--Spider People (conjoined twins), and I see an ad for an upcoming Octopus Man, whom I'm guessing has a parasite twin with limbs growing from his body.
And why is this OK because they are from another country?

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 8

So another TL C family is embroiled in scandal. Meri Brown from Sister Wives had an online affair. She thought it was with a man, but it turned out to be a woman who was pretending to be a man.

Hey, she can be on Catfish, on MTV or somewhere like that.  (I thought it was like Hillbilly Handfishin/ until some said "google it."

I just noticed a few new shows (really) in the TLC line up, The Man with No Penis, and The Man with an 80-lb Groin.

• Love 2
The Man with No Penis

Did anyone other than me watch this? They should have actually called it, "The Man with No Penis...But Manages to Still Be Quite a Dick." Didn't buy his story that just now -- at 40(whatever)--he decided to see a urologist who could build him a peen. He and his famewhorey g/f and their fake-y confessionals irritated the crap out of me.

They should have actually called it "The Man with No Penis... But Manages to Still Be Quite a Dick." Didn't buy his story that just now—at 40(whatever)—he decided to see a urologist who could build him a peen. He and his famewhorey g/f and their fake-y confessionals irritated the crap out of me.

I'm an Anglophile (and BBC America barely has any UK programming), so I watched The Man With No Penis. I liked Andrew Wardle more than Paul Mason from The World's Fattest Man: A Love Story.

Is this an ongoing series about anatomically unusual UK men and the women who love them?

Edited by editorgrrl
I liked Andrew Wardle more than Paul Mason from The World's Fattest Man: A Love Story.

I like a good swift kick in the eye better than Paul Mason! Big old man-baby.

I watched a show called "Skin Tight," about people who lost weight and had excess, so they get skin reduction surgery.

This one guy Tim said he'd lost weight over several years, although the first 200 pounds were in one year. They show him working out, but he had almost no muscle tone. I don't understand that. Would the loose skin problem be quite as bad if these people had some muscle underneath?

TLC has greenlit its first "scripted" series:  The drama series, from Tyler Perry,  is tentatively titled "Too Close To Home" and is about...

[A] young woman who achieves unparalleled success on the Washington political circuit, only to see it slip away when her affair with a married senator makes headlines. She is forced back to her trailer-park beginnings, where her past and its players resurface.

Eight episodes have been ordered.

(edited)

An old TLC show is aired again.
 Discovery Family channel has some WYWO (While You were Out) shows on!
One's at 11 tonight, and midnight.  With U-verse, you can push the info button, then click on "more showtimes." to find others.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 1

Since I trash TLC for a lot of the awful shows they air, I must give them credit for Two in a Million, where they introduce people suffering from rare diseases/conditions, to others with the same problem.
I think the ones I've seen have been children, and they've been so happy to find someone who really knows what they're going through.
They're casting currently, and ask for anyone interested to apply.

• Love 1

I would like to see TLC have a show about people divorcing. Comeon, if those are not a trainwreck, I don't know what is. Seriously, they have caused a few divorces over the years.

I would like to also see another network do a behind the scenes tell all on TLC. How it went from the learning channel to the trashy channel. 

• Love 5

I would like to also see another network do a behind the scenes tell all on TLC. How it went from the learning channel to the trashy channel.

I would watch that. TLC used to show "Connections" and a series on great books. Bravo used to show classic, hard-to-find movies and opera. The devolution of these networks to the trash dumps that they are says something very dire about our culture.

• Love 6

In the FB comments on My Big Fat Fabulous life, some posted this inspired comment from youtube, on a new show idea for TLC.

This is a comment from you tube, bestever! Olivia Perrie1 day ago
 ... Next show TLC My super awesome 3rd world country life: you can show them drinking from a filthy river and boiling their refrigerated meat and their baby crying from hunger and disease. Glamorize that at least we will have a visual reason to feel bad for those people.

Had to look up the Willis family.
Why do they encourage and underwrite all these families with so many kids?  Why do they encourage strangers to get married.  What kind of a person who be on that show.
I watch some TLC but skip a lot of them.

• Love 2

@auntjess - Yep. The Willis family episodes I watched were kind of a snooze, although the kids are VASTLY better educated, more articulate and poised, appropriately mature for their ages, and talented, than the Duggar kids. Can't help the inevitable comparisons, given they are both large home-schooled fundie Christian families. I posted a bit on the Willis forum, and several months ago noted that while I liked the kids, I wasn't feeling the love for the dad. Not that I got a pervert vibe from him, just that I thought he's a controlling assh*le. 

Apparently TLC had already decided not to pick up the Willis show for another season. They don't have a big investment in the Willises so I assume that it's well and truly over. As opposed to the Duggars. TLC merely suspended running repeats of 19 Kids and Counting last year when Joshgate 1 broke. They were between seasons anyway. Then when Joshgate 2 broke, a few months later, TLC said they'd "cancelled" 19K&C. But, wait! They then announced a new! different! show! - Counting On. Ahem. Same old sh*t, same old faces, except a lot fewer THs by the parents and no appearance by Josh. Although plenty of THs by the sibs talking about how disappointed they were by "what Josh did" which if you didn't already know, you wouldn't find out from the show.

TLC is still rolling along with the Duggars. IMO it's because they have a vault full of all those old episodes going clear back to 14 kids (or whatever the number was). I'm sure their bean counters had planned on running those repeats ad infinitum for easy ad revenue. Remember, reality TV stars don't get residuals, as far as I know. Once Joshgate hit, all those old shows became radioactive.

I think TLC is playing a long game here, hoping that eventually Josh will somehow get rehabilitated and they can cash in on all those old episodes.

Or, Jim Bob Duggar has some seriously incriminating evidence against some higher-up at Discovery Communications, stashed in a safe deposit box somewhere. 

Who knows?

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Or, Jim Bob Duggar has some seriously incriminating evidence against some higher-up at Discovery Communications, stashed in a safe deposit box somewhere. 

Who knows?

This is my theory on why HGTV keeps the Scott brothers and Love It or List It going.  Seems like the only possible reason in some cases.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:28 AM, auntl said:

Another TLC scandal. The father of the Willis family has been arrested for raping an underage girl.

It just never stops with these TLC reality families. Scandal after scandal after scandal.

And one would think after the Duggar Disaster, the network would AT LEAST make sure to check EVERY nook and crannie for closet skeletons for legalities' and not wanting to risk [temporarily] dumping series even if they couldn't care less about the victims.

Speaking of Duggars, I have to wonder if the network would have ever considered broadcasting the POV of a Duggar Victim who had NOT forgiven the perp and believed that the  family had FAILED them. There were five known victims and they only had shows centered on the  two of them who still were desperate for their family to like them  so I'm wondering if it was just the lack of interest in wanting to be broadcast on the other three's part/s that kept the non-party line POV (which might also entail criticism for TLC itself re its greedy, blind eye) from being broadcast here.

Just now, Blergh said:

Speaking of Duggars, I have to wonder if the network would have ever considered broadcasting the POV of a Duggar Victim who had NOT forgiven the perp and believed that the  family had FAILED them. There were five known victims and they only had shows centered on the  two of them who still were desperate for their family to like them  so I'm wondering if it was just the lack of interest in wanting to be broadcast on the other three's part/s that kept the non-party line POV (which might also entail criticism for TLC itself re its greedy, blind eye) from being broadcast here.

IIRC, per the police reports that were obtained by InTouch last year, only one of the five young children who were victims, was not a member of the Duggar family. Many who are familiar with the family have said you can figure out who the four Duggar sisters were based on ages, dates, etc., but I haven't confirmed that. Jessa and Jill publicly confirmed that they were victims - and went on TV under the watchful glare of their parents, to proclaim "it" was no big deal and they've forgiven Josh, and all the things their parents could make them say that would keep their TLC gravy train from derailing.

AFAIK the other two Duggar sisters who were victimized as little girls, have not confirmed it, and since their names were redacted when the police reports were released to InTouch, we really can't be sure which ones they were.

Why on earth TLC would want to "broadcast the POV" of someone who, at aged 4 or 5 (or younger) was fondled by Josh Duggar, I have no clue. I can't imagine that any of Josh's sisters want to have TLC delve into the situation. Certainly not for money. They are already getting appearance fees from TLC for the Counting On show. And even if they are legal adults? Jim Bob Duggar calls the shots in that family, and I'm sure it's his position that no way in hell is TLC gonna explore any of that shit, from a victim's perspective or any other.

And also, I'm sure that Jim Bob wants to launch a Josh Duggar Redemption campaign, all about how Josh sinned but now he's seen the light, praise Jesus, and thus eventually get Josh detoxified enough to appear on TLC again. (Fat chance of that happening. I hope. But who knows??)

Just to clarify, it's NOT that I wanted to have broadcast or think TLC should broadcast a victim's POV. It's just that I find it a bit self-serving that TLC ONLY broadcast the POV of those who claim to have completely forgiven the perp AND believe their family is THE most important thing in their life (and refuse to consider how 'the family' [to say nothing of TLC] failed the perp's victims).

40 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Just to clarify, it's NOT that I wanted to have broadcast or think TLC should broadcast a victim's POV. It's just that I find it a bit self-serving that TLC ONLY broadcast the POV of those who claim to have completely forgiven the perp AND believe their family is THE most important thing in their life (and refuse to consider how 'the family' [to say nothing of TLC] failed the perp's victims).

Okay, now I see your point.

IMO, TLC's simply motivated by money. They've been scrambling to keep the Duggar franchise from totally tanking because in the good old days the Duggars' shows had great ratings (at least by TLC's standards) and that's a lot of money in ad revenues for the network. So, yeah, they were totally self-serving and happy to play along with Jim Bob Duggar's "there's nothing to see here, move right along" line. 

And because the whole subject is, to say the least, delicate? No motivation at all for TLC to explore the details, even assuming any of the victims wanted to cooperate. The most TLC did was a bullshit hour special on the subject of sexual assault where MEchelle, Jill, and Jessa made token appearances.

IMO TLC doing that special was a "Fuck You" to the critics by way of some lip service to sex assault victims in general. After which the network went back to biz as usual with Jim Bob Duggar, only they gave the show a different name and he doesn't get much face time on the show.

Edited by Jeeves
Clarity that it was TLC's "FU" to critics although it was probably the Duggars' too.

Some TLC shows on Discovery you might want to watch.
Tiny at 20 is on Discovery Life tomorrow, Saturday 10/1, night at 10PM ET.
They're also showing a couple of episodes from TLC's Two in a Million, but labelinging them as Boys of Steel, and Girls Made of Glass.
These are shows that help the participants, but connecting two children, plus parents, with another person/family with same very rare disease.  Again, 10/1 , at 7PM and 8PM.

No one else may be interested in this, but I am watching reruns of What Not to Wear in the wee hours when I'm at the gym on the treadmill. I know Clinton has a great gig on The Chew now and Stacy does her guest appearances but I'd love to see an occasional WNTW update on past makeovers. There have been several really great makeovers on recent reruns and I'd love to see if these ladies have continued to follow what they learned or if they've fallen off the WNTW wagon. IMHO, this Is more interesting than some of the crap that TLC currently airs.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

No one else may be interested in this, but I am watching reruns of What Not to Wear in the wee hours when I'm at the gym on the treadmill. I know Clinton has a great gig on The Chew now and Stacy does her guest appearances but I'd love to see an occasional WNTW update on past makeovers. There have been several really great makeovers on recent reruns and I'd love to see if these ladies have continued to follow what they learned or if they've fallen off the WNTW wagon. IMHO, this Is more interesting than some of the crap that TLC currently airs.

To each one's own re show likings . However; I never saw the appeal of having these snotty, catty, shallow airheads try to turn random folks in to Madison Av clones at the behest of their alleged 'friends' and only endured the show a few times in the hopes that one of these overwhelmed victims would trash everything these airheads foisted on them in front of them AND tear their alleged 'friends' new ones for not only having the dorks do this to them but having encouraged them to secretly film victims just going about their business. 

Anyway, AFAIC, it's virtually as tacky and uninteresting as what the network airs now.  What I'd like to have back are REAL documentaries and science programs which is what the network started out with way back when. Again, to each one's own.

• Love 3

I agree that Stacy and Clinton could be obnoxious and often insensitive when they would trash the makeover's clothes, but they did provide a few good tips that I still remember. I am not a fashion plate and don't want to be, but I learned the great importance of a bra that actually fits which in turn can make you look slimmer, the right cut of a jean leg depending on your body shape, and to not wear clothes too big if you have a pounds to lose. And definitely the hair and make up consultants usually made a 100% improvement on the makeovers. Some of those hair makeovers were awesome. Yes, TLC has definitely gotten away from the science and documentary programming (isn't it supposed to be The Learning Channel?) but sadly a lot of channels have dumbed down their shows. I'm looking at you HGTV, Food Network as well as TLC. 

• Love 3