Type keyword(s) to search

TLC: But Trashy And Tacky Are Taken Already!

• Start Topic

Is anyone watching Tattoo Girls? I like the idea of an all female shop, but these women are immature and inexperienced. I also dislike the bs stories like them getting a request for a large tattoo and then squeezing it in before they have to pick up their kids. No way can you do a decent tattoo that could  cover someone's back in an hour. I especially dislike Nikki who does nothing but complain. I d think it's cool that the 23 year old owns her own business.

(edited)

I hadn't heard that.
When I've seen some of those While You Were Out makeovers on TV within the past year, they've looked so cheesy and I think TS would be like that too.
When they were new, the idea was novel, at least to me, and even then some crappy things were done.
Hilde just liked to be outrageous, but Doug sometimes seemed mean-spirited, and would dig out an paint family heirlooms that had been placed off-limits, if he didn't like the homeowners.
It might be fun to watch, but I wouldn't put my home up for the show.

Edited by auntjess
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, shawny said:

TLC is apparently bringing back Trading Spaces.

Very strange.  After I'd read this,  and watched the video, I went back to read the comments, and there are tons of them, talking about the smocks, and clothes from 2000.
I can't figure how/why a conversation on such a boring topic could be sustained.
If you didn't see the show, why bother to comment? 

@stewedsquash, I think Carmindy's make up looks heavy when shown up close but usually pretty good from a distance when she turns them around. I am always surprised when the makeovers get so emotional about their hair, even trimming an inch or so. And then there was the infamous nanny who had hair down past her butt who refused to let Nick trim any. And the young people who she used to nanny for said they hoped her hair would be cut! Sorry! Not going to happen! I think her name was Lynn??? Hope they rerun that one soon.

I am glad they are bringing Paige back to Trading Spaces.  The problem for me is if they bring designers like Hildy back.  Hated her.  She did horrible designs for "shock" value, with no regard to the damage she did to the house or the problems the homeowners would have in dealing with it.  But.  I know they probably will because it is all about "shock" value and they figure that is what will bring the eyeballs in. And they are probably right.  Seems to me that Trading Spaces would be a good fit for HGTV.  Would love to see a show like that with the ever-present Property Brothers (maybe substitute that for any of the twin's other 30 shows) versus one of the other "designers"...but they would probably turn it into a Flip show.  Flip Shows?  My hope is that all of them will finally wear out their welcome.  By the way, I have seen houses/designs that Hildy has done for other people (not on the show) and her designs are actually very nice.

I watched Trading Spaces back in the day, and I didn't hate Hildy.  She liked to shock, but she could do good work, and she always made sure animals were taken care of.
I couldn't stand Doug, who was mean-spirited, and once went into a closed off section and took a family heirloom and painted it.  He was hateful.
The thing is, I think that now, the makeovers would look really cheap, because they show an episode of WYWO once in a while, and you realize how tacky things can be on a low budget.
Laurie was boring and I don't want to see any more Genevieve.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ketzel said:

I don't know - she isn't claiming to be all that mentally/emotionally healthy now. She talks about suffering from depression; she's on medication and seeing a therapist. Then there was that creepy and morbid  instagram video she posted, since taken down, that caused much speculation that she was suicidal. And I don't think anyone could call her response to the Avi break up a sane and balanced one. The international search for other fat women Avi had dated!The creation of the Sisterhood of the Morbidly Obese Avi  Rejects! The road trip with the almost fiancée to a spa Avi had recommended to both of them, as a means of "closure!" The race to the coffee shop when her production crew reported he was there in order to confront him!  This isn't the behavior of an emotionally healthy woman.

When has TLC shown mentally stable people?

The Duggers? issues

Sisterwives? Issues

MBFF? Issues.

Which TLC show has not had problems with their main characters???  Only one I can think of is the Klein-Arnold household.

On 2/4/2017 at 3:30 PM, chessiegal said:

I've read where the top exec said that TLC used to be "The Learning Channel" but now they are simply TLC. This was at least 10 years ago.

Yes, at one time, you could actually learn something on this channel, before it became the morbidly obese channel.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Yes, at one time, you could actually learn something on this channel, before it became the morbidly obese channel.

Sometimes I wonder if this is the worst example of this happening or if its MTV. Music television my ass!

• Love 2

I'm  posting here, since I didn't see one for the new show Three Wives One Husband.  I was NOT intending to watch it, but, I'm glad I did.  In one episode, I was able to learn a lot about the religious beliefs behind polygamy and Mormons.  Much of the time, the polygamists don't choose to discuss it on these shows.  That includes Kody Brown on Sister Wives.  They skirt around their religious beliefs, but, not much detail.  Last night, those men gave MUCH more detail and it made sense.  I'd always wondered about some things and now I get it.  I may continue to watch it for that reason.  At least, I'm learning something.  lol 

I don't know where the old forum went but I'm jumping on here to say that I'm rewatching I Found the Gown on hulu. Season 2 and 3 are on hulu. I'm pretty sure I watched all or at least most of the episodes when they first came out but I'm still enjoying the rewatch. It's such a perfect background show. Like, that show where you can do something else and glance up every once in a while. It's entertaining but it doesn't demand too much of your attention. Also, there's manufactured drama but I like it so much more than Say Yes to The Dress which became unwatchable years ago. It's like the Great British Bakeoff to SYTTD's Masterchef (US). This is so calm whereas the other version stresses me out. Stop yelling and playing such loud dramatic music! 

Why didn't they make more of this. It combines so many things I love...

High fashion + Shopping + Sales/Discounts + Weddings + Wholesomeness

The other thing it has in its favor is that it doesn't feel like the consultants think that they're celebrities. Again, SYTTD is too much for me. I like shows about shopping that are real chill. Or at least crazy in an organized way like Extreme Couponing. I've really gotten away from histrionics in my reality tv.

What's happening to my tacky/trashy channel.
It seems to have gotten pregnant, VERY pregnant, with multiples and teen moms, and old Discovery health shows.
Come on TLC, bring back the fat and the pimples!  This isn't MTV.

• LOL 5

Obviously the pandemic has had some bearing on TLC's shooting schedules because they have been bringing out some really old programming between endless retreads of the "90-Day" franchise (and I ain't gonna lie, I'm a big fan of those shows.) Last night they aired several episodes of "Hoarding: Buried Alive" that were so old you could smell the mildew on them. Or maybe I was just imagining what some of those homes smelled like. It won't be long before we'll be seeing "A Baby Story" in prime time.

• Love 1

I greatly resent seeing promos for this channel's tacky shows while watching the Science Channel. Yeah, I know it's all about cross-promoting your brands, but couldn't they take the viewing audience into account?

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, Blergh said:

To each one's own re show likings . However; I never saw the appeal of having these snotty, catty, shallow airheads try to turn random folks in to Madison Av clones at the behest of their alleged 'friends' and only endured the show a few times in the hopes that one of these overwhelmed victims would trash everything these airheads foisted on them in front of them AND tear their alleged 'friends' new ones for not only having the dorks do this to them but having encouraged them to secretly film victims just going about their business. 

I used to vaguely enjoy watching What Not To Wear, until they amped up the hosts' nasty remarks to the person they were trying to help and the fashion victim getting more ridiculous looking in order tyo amp up the spectacle factor. TBH, I was half expecting them to grab bums and winos and mock their appearance before cleaning them up.

• Love 1

Well, I guess TLC thinks that those of us who watch the channel in the morning are fed up with the extreme cheap skates and couponers because now they're reaching into the far corners of the vault and airing moth-eaten episodes of "Secretly Pregnant." I guess that's better than "100 Million Little People And Counting At A Big Fat Gypsy Wedding."

• LOL 1
On 10/1/2020 at 1:28 PM, mmecorday said:

Well, I guess TLC thinks that those of us who watch the channel in the morning are fed up with the extreme cheap skates and couponers because now they're reaching into the far corners of the vault and airing moth-eaten episodes of "Secretly Pregnant." I guess that's better than "100 Million Little People And Counting At A Big Fat Gypsy Wedding."

Was it TLC that had that couponing show that ruined it for all of us? I thought it was on another, for some reason.

4 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

Was it TLC that had that couponing show that ruined it for all of us? I thought it was on another, for some reason.

Oh gosh, I remember that show. Talk about Faux Reality TV - that was Exhibit A. I would bet the rent that most if not all those 'extreme' couponers who were buying those huge quantities of stuff, were actually reselling it, but that little fact wasn't disclosed on the show. Some of those claims of "I saved Ten Thousand Dollars last year by couponing!" IMO couldn't stand the light of day but nobody on the show bothered to question it.

I remember a couple of things specifically. A young married guy in the South had a sh*t ton of stuff he'd bought with coupons, and claimed he'd "saved" enough to buy a new minivan. It wasn't hard to find on the innernetz that he had been listing and selling stuff online which of course is a violation of the coupon terms. In another episode, someone knocked on the couponer's back door while they were filming. She answered the door and had a mumbled conversation with the woman standing there and handed her a bottle of shampoo or something. Followed by a vague statement about that was her cousin or in-law or some such and she shared her stuff with family. On which I call BS. One of her regular customers apparently hadn't heard that they were filming and to stay away till the crews were gone. 

Like most reality TV it was all a big lie and a long con game.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1

I am hearing rumblings that all the new shows under the Discovery umbrella are being moved to the new streaming service. It should be called a steaming service because that's a load of horse crap. So those of us who refuse to pay extra for this service are going to be stuck watching reruns of "Untold Stories of the ER" and "Four Weddings." I am not that invested in the "90-Day" Universe to fork over $4.99 a month.

• Love 2

I don't think ALL new shows are moving to Discovery+. The streaming service is mainly aimed at people who want to cut the cable cord. As an added bonus, they are developing new shows that will only be on Discovery+. Property Brothers Forever Home is being moved to the streaming service, so I guess others are also. But Discovery is keeping in mind their cable audience. I know there will be new seasons of shows that will be shown on the cable channels. Maine Cabin Masters starts a new season Feb. 1 on DIY. It depends on what you watch as to the extent it will impact you. They're not moving anything I watch.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I don't think ALL new shows are moving to Discovery+. The streaming service is mainly aimed at people who want to cut the cable cord. As an added bonus, they are developing new shows that will only be on Discovery+. Property Brothers Forever Home is being moved to the streaming service, so I guess others are also. But Discovery is keeping in mind their cable audience. I know there will be new seasons of shows that will be shown on the cable channels. Maine Cabin Masters starts a new season Feb. 1 on DIY. It depends on what you watch as to the extent it will impact you. They're not moving anything I watch.

I agree. I find the nonstop promos for Discovery+ to be annoying AF. I had a negative response to the whole idea of Discovery+. Then, two things happened: (1) I cut out cable TV and got YouTube TV instead, saving $70 a month, and (2) I changed my mobile phone service to Verizon. My Verizon deal gives me 12 months free subscriptions Discovery+, Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+. (I think it's 12 months for all, may be 6 months for one of them, I don't remember.)

So, I've now got Discovery+, and as a former cable subscriber I'm glad I do. YouTube TV offers a lot - but not every cable channel I watched. No DIY network, no Discovery Life.

Anyway, there's a deep bench of content on Discovery+, almost all of it is shows that are/were on cable. Including DIY and ID networks.

The only "exclusive" Discovery+ content that I've watched so far, is a crime series (4 episodes so far I think) narrated by Joe Kenda. I don't follow the "strange people leading bizarro lives" stuff on TLC except M600PL, so I don't know what if any exclusive content of that kind is on Discovery+ that's not on cable. 

I'm not sure I'd pay the five or six bucks a month for Discovery+ if I still had cable. If I still don't have cable TV when my free ride is over I may decide to start paying for Discovery+. We'll see.

I think their stupid nonstop promotion of Discovery+ on all the shows, and teasing the "exclusive" content to people who are watching Discovery channels for which they are effing PAYING already? Is understandably generating negative responses. You'd think they could figure that out. Yikes.