Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E14: Grand Finale

• Start Topic

(edited)

Violet's lip sync was a nice opportunity for her to give us a glimpse into her actual performance style, which she didn't really get to showcase during drag race.… She's a sexy, gothy, stripteasing drag artist.

I expect if Violet does some kind of crossover out of her regular drag circuit, it will be into the burlesque, fetish, and neo-circus worlds.

Gurl, I hope so! Sharon Needles was supposed to be "the new face of drag," but her new face looks just like Jinkx and Alaska.

A super-cinched Bettie Page doing drag burlesque is something I've never seen before. The only thing Violet Chachki has in common with Tyra Sanchez is her youth.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 3

ETA: I do hope that if Violet does more burlesque/fetish work, she masters tassel twirling. One of my pet peeves is when performers use pasties with tassels and don't twirl them. It feels like a taunt.

Saaaame. I don't know why that makes me so crazy. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Bianca mostly did her schtick on the other queens (and a little on the audience and the staff at the club - she started speaking in Spanish to the sound guy during one of the many unfortunate AV accidents), but had some earnest moments of speaking as Roy and not Bianca.

Thanks for the T vrocotamy!  Can you give us anymore on Bianca as far as what she said before the crowning, about her year as S6 winner, ect?  I'm sure videos of it are floating somewhere around on youtube but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Glad to hear Violet was humbled by her win--wow at only what 22, 23 yrs old?  Did you see any of the other S7 queens there? 

It was funny but I felt bad for Ben being sewn onto Michelle for her entire appearance.

I get why the did it but if I was Dela I would have been pissed!  This was her moment to pass on the M.C. to Katya but noooo some numnuts decided to stitch her to Michelle.  I didn't like that and I didn't like Miss Fame's stupid bring-a-chicken-on-stage bit...the crazy chicken lady schtick was played out =(

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 1

I didn't like Miss Fame's stupid bring-a-chicken-on-stage bit...the crazy chicken lady schtick was played out =(

The chicken shitting on her made me actually like Miss Fame for once. She's a lovable weirdo—season 7's Tammie Brown, walking chickens in nature.

• Love 3
(edited)

ETA: I do hope that if Violet does more burlesque/fetish work, she masters tassel twirling. One of my pet peeves is when performers use pasties with tassels and don't twirl them. It feels like a taunt.

Or it feels like a tease.

Edited by cousin oliver
  • Love 2

A super-cinched Bettie Page doing drag burlesque is something I've never seen before. The only thing Violet Chachki has in common with Tyra Sanchez is her youth.

Heh, it's something i've seen a million times and was completely bored by the very first time I saw it(really that goes for the whole burlesque scene, which is like boring hipsterville), which is why Violet really never did anything for me.

• Love 3
and I didn't like Miss Fame's stupid bring-a-chicken-on-stage bit

I would have bet $100 she walked out with Detox in her chicken suit.  They so totally should have done that.  I love Violet and am happy with her win, but sorta also feel like Ginger got shafted.  I think she worked and worked hard on her part.

Ru, if Kennedy puts on such a great show that you feel the need to mention that you should attend it (this has never happened before) than why didn't she win?? I liked how Ru cut off Kennedy when she was ragging on her Mom, since she was there in the audience and all.

Does anyone know how Jasmine was hurt by social media???   I knew nothing about this, but it was really pounded home so it must have been bad.

• Love 2

Or it feels like a tease.

I dunno. Burlesque performer here. Tease would be indicating the tassels, pulling on them etc. If you're going to wear them, twirl them. That was my only critique. I take the tassels off most f my pasties not because I can't twirl but because if t doesn't suit the routine then I dont want them just hanging off my nips uselessly ;) Anyway, I was kind of indifferent as to who snatched the crown this time. I thought it would be Ginger and she did great with her lip-sync but I thought Violet sealed the deal with her performance. I can live with it. 

• Love 3

Does anyone know how Jasmine was hurt by social media???   I knew nothing about this, but it was really pounded home so it must have been bad.

RuPaul fights back after death threats are sent to Drag Race queen

Jasmine Masters, whose real name is Martell Robinson, has been called the 'N' word, told to 'fuck off and die', and 'I'm gonna hunt you down you ugly c***'.

RuPaul Fires Back With Love After Drag Race Queen Gets Racist Death Threats has screen shots of some more ugly tweets. I was not sorry to see Jasmine sashay away, but no one deserves that.

I don't remember Jamsine being particularly objectionable either. She was part of the Bitter Old Lady Brigade, but generally I think of her as being a bad actress but having great abs. What on earth triggered such vitriol?

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't remember Jamsine being particularly objectionable either.

All it took for a social media onslaught against a queen this season was one ever so slightly shady word against one of the Glamour Triplets or Trixie. Jasmine got some of the worst of it, but Ginger and Kennedy were targeted as well. A substantial segment of the fan base for this show has become almost frighteningly invested in the outcome, and for the less than level headed among them it was not enough to support their favorite, they also felt compelled to slander the competition (particularly the Brigade members) and even those who supported them. Sometimes making a positive comment about a member of the Brigade felt like what it must be like cheering for the Browns surrounded by angry Steeler fans at Heinz Field.

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 5

I'm not mad that Violet won (although I would be raging if it was Pearl).

I just want to say that I thought all of the former contestants looked fabulous when they walked the runway. Everyone was bring it.

• Love 4

Wow this finale really affirmed for me that Violet is indeed the strongest of the final 3. Her lip sync of the burlesque song and her runway look were both on-point. I think RuPaul made the right choice, as she can appeal to both older fans of burlesque and also bring in younger viewers. I thought the presence of Miley Cyrus and her foundation in the audience as well as the question for Violet of how she plans to use her story to help other teens wanting to do drag were dead giveaways that this season RuPaul wanted to crown a confident younger queen who can fight for trans visibility in the mainstream media. Ginger would have been an acceptable winner too but I don't think she will be as versatile. I think Violet will be one of the more successful winners in the long run as she is still very young and her drag style is both retro and high fashion, plus she can do aerial stunts so I can see her having a long career performing in Vegas revues and also in Pussycat Dolls-type burlesque shows.

• Love 3

I didn't warm up to Violet until Snatch Game, but I'm fine with her win. She feels like she knows her "her"story. I also think Ginger did herself in with her finale speech. Pearl shouldn't have won but I did have a dream that we broke up and she was really nice about it.

Ginger will be appearing in an traveling musical called "Cross-Dresser for Christ" that will be coming to my city this summer. She probably had it booked before the season finished filming, but good for her on already being gainfully employed.

• Love 1

I was rooting for Violet, but I am a wee bit prejudiced, she's from my neighborhood and regularly performs at my favorite bar.

It's really interesting, who does well on the show vs. well at a drag show. Violet's drag is so much fun in person - sexy, funny, creative. She's also quite friendly, not that we are pals or anything.

I did the Battle of the Seasons tour this year and it was awful... my favorites, Sharon, Jinxx- did boring lipsyncs or sang bad songs. They were great on the show, but there personal Drag performances were... meh. Bianca (whom I truly loved) came off as kind of misogynistic. Alaska & Ivy were the only high points. (Ultimate low point - Michelle Visage singing Amy Winehouse) All this to say that the talents that it takes to put on a good drag show and the talents it takes to go far on Drag Race aren't always one in the same... And yay for Violet.

• Love 2

I am interested to see what Violet does in the future. Is "Come Through" a Violet thing, a regional thing or what? I've never heard it before. I enjoy her enthusiasm, though. I re-watched the finale, and I liked how at one point the top three were standing around, and she was patting Ginger's shoulder and smiling and saying something. 

• Love 2

I was rooting for Violet, but I am a wee bit prejudiced, she's from my neighborhood and regularly performs at my favorite bar.

It's really interesting, who does well on the show vs. well at a drag show. Violet's drag is so much fun in person - sexy, funny, creative. She's also quite friendly, not that we are pals or anything.

I did the Battle of the Seasons tour this year and it was awful... my favorites, Sharon, Jinxx- did boring lipsyncs or sang bad songs. They were great on the show, but there personal Drag performances were... meh. Bianca (whom I truly loved) came off as kind of misogynistic. Alaska & Ivy were the only high points. (Ultimate low point - Michelle Visage singing Amy Winehouse) All this to say that the talents that it takes to put on a good drag show and the talents it takes to go far on Drag Race aren't always one in the same... And yay for Violet.

Before their times of discord (or maybe even after), Willam wrote on his Tumblr that he had a conversation with Detox after Season 5 ended and they agreed that there is a difference between being a great drag queen and being a great Drag Race Contestant.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wasn't happy about Violet winning, but I was impressed by her burlesque/drag number in the finale. If she had shown more of that during the season, I wouldn't have been as bothered by her win. But the dance w/ Katya was the only time I saw her successfully perform during the season. Otherwise, she was just pretty. Not sure if it was her fault for not bringing it during the season or the show's fault for not having enough challenges that let her style of performance shine. In sum, the burlesque number made me not hate her, but I still think Ginger was a better choice of the top 3. And, of course, Katya was the only person this season who truly deserved to win. Still mad.

ETA: But at least it wasn't Pearl. That girl has NO talent, and her finale lip sync proved it.

Edited by Denay
  • Love 2

Looking back with the final three.

Ginjer was the natural, coming into the show with experience.

Pearl was the story driven one, or should have been.

And Violet, I always felt she should have been the story driven queen.  She walked into the scene with attitude and we saw a progression, or evolution, or what have you to her character and her art...my opinion of course.  To compare to Pearl, who, as the story driven queen and her lack of, really anything, we didn't really see evolution, we had to be told..."she woke up"...Pearl and Violet as part of the final three just tells me they highlighted the wrong youngster for the story driven queen...

• Love 1

That was so weird, they kept telling us Pearl was evolving, improving and "coming out of her shell" but they didn't show us.  This was one of the most frustrating parts of the season. I would give her credit where credit is due, but I can't think that she improved but they didn't capture it on camera or opted not to show it. I did see improvement with Violet. Maybe I just missed it, but them saying that over and over and Pearl acting to the contrary does her no favors. And her final,"I deserve the crown because I've worked hard and I'm tired" was ridiculous. Fortunately, I think she'll just fade from public view from here on out.

I really hope they have their act together for next season!

• Love 4
(edited)

That was so weird, they kept telling us Pearl was evolving, improving and "coming out of her shell" but they didn't show us.

Probably because Pearl really didn't evolve or improve much throughout the season and the attempt to build a storyline of her doing so just highlighted it. She did well sometimes and horrible other times and just mediocre most times, but it was very inconsistent. Her best outfits were towards the early season, her worst towards the late. Her best performances were in the mid season, her worst were in the early and late. But mostly she stayed middle-bottom of the pack throughout the entire season. Though I think at least right now it would be impossible for Pearl to evolve, because while she clearly knows the elements she likes to use(all white styling, exaggerated clown make up, clothing somewhere between goth and old Hollywood glam, butch deep voiced comedy characters, a particular style of dance for lip syncs) she just doesn't know how to pull them together into a cohesive whole.

Though that does cover much of the contestants, most of them were generally middle-bottom with rare moments of doing well or really badly and a lot of mediocrity(except for Katya, Ginger and Violet who were generally top-middle throughout the season). Pearl just stands out because she has a storyline of growth in a season where everyone was a straight line from beginning to end.

Edited by snakenax
  • Love 4
(edited)

That was so weird, they kept telling us Pearl was evolving, improving and "coming out of her shell" but they didn't show us. This was one of the most frustrating parts of the season.

TPTB just grasped an easy pun (Pearl/shell), then edited the storyline to fit their intended outcome. Last season was ABC, with Courtney's body-ody-ody, Bianca the sharp-tongued comedy queen with a heart of gold, and Adore as a lovable, eager-to-please puppy. The editing monkeys made me love Adore—and she came back playing the same role this episode. ("Yes ma'am, Pam! No ma'am, Pam. [beat] Who's Pam?")

This year's palette (Ginger, Pearl & Violet are all colors) had Violet's body-ody-ody, Ginger's comedy (with her added value as a big girl), and Pearl—who's young, dumb, and… unpleasant. TPTB failed to make me like Pearl, much less root for her.

I did, however, end up kind of liking Miss Fame. They should've chosen her for Pearl's role—but Fame ain't a color. And Pearl's a better looking boy.

The minute I clapped eyes on Katya, I thought of her as "new Courtney." And Mrs. Kasha Davis was clearly cast as a possible "new Bianca"—the role ultimately given to Ginger.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2
(edited)

She did well sometimes and horrible other times and just mediocre most times, but it was very inconsistent. Her best outfits were towards the early season, her worst towards the late.

I found Pearl's performances very consistent. They all involved that gruff voice and her natural awkwardness - it's just that her natural limitations fit perfectly for some tasks and not so much for others. What worked for Snatch Game however was a disaster for John Waters. It's no coincidence her two wins were in pairs events - and both were driven more by story line than performance (especially the conjoined twins, as whoever ended up paired with Trixie was going to win).

As to the outfits - I think we all just got tired of her very limiting aesthetic. Unless forced to by the challenge parameters (The green runway and the bearded runway for example), there was an overload exposed corseting, rosy beige satin, and chiffon that continued all the way to the finale. It was always polished like a diamond, and very flattering, but by midseason the look had worn out its welcome. One wonders if she was ever called out for it (or the thirsty platinum wigs) and any criticism was left on the cutting room floor?

Ironically, the contestant who was treated with the softest kid gloves appears to be the most bitter about the experience. She apparently spilled considerable T in Dublin this weekend. I think it's also telling that the cover of her inevitable EP (don't they all have one now?) has Matthew on the cover, not Pearl.

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 4

...Ironically, the contestant who was treated with the softest kid gloves appears to be the most bitter about the experience. She apparently spilled considerable T in Dublin this weekend. I think it's also telling that the cover of her inevitable EP (don't they all have one now?) has Matthew on the cover, not Pearl.

Aw, come on, what did she say?

• Love 2

Would anyone be willing to summarize that video that was posted, regarding what they said about the show?  I'm deaf and there's no way for me to understand it.  Many thanks!

Hi, Eater of Worlds, the link to what Pearl said in Dublin is to a written recap of the event, so the link should work just fine for you.

I still wish she'd [Violet] seemed a little happier at the end but maybe it's in better taste not to go craaazy in front of the other two disappointed girls.

They film all three possible endings—so Violet didn't know that she had won for reals. She was acting.

LogoTV posted a video, "Watch As The Top Three Queens Learn Who Snatched The Crown." I was struck by the description:

Will the runners up have the Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve, and Poise to keep their smiles bright and their mascara off of their cheeks?

"Poise"? So now it's CUNP? Or is this product placement for pee pads? (Hence the "cheeks" joke.) I'm confused.

Regarding Pearl:

Here's one attendee's recap of her appearance.

http://codeinecunt.tumblr.com/post/120903789509

Not all is negative - but she seems to be the one most prone to bitch.

The post was e.t.a

EDIT EDIT EDIT: this makes her sound so shady lmao I tried to just include the juicy facts, she’s actually the loveliest queen ive ever met and spent so much time with everyone and engaged with her fans and was genuinely interested in everyone and later on she asked me how her make up class was and asked if I learnt anything haha

Doesn't sound like a bitch or bitchy to me.  If anyone of the final three was "prone to bitch" it was Ginger.

I don't remember Jamsine being particularly objectionable either. She was part of the Bitter Old Lady Brigade, but generally I think of her as being a bad actress but having great abs. What on earth triggered such vitriol?

People got a hold of a video she put online not long before this season began, in which she went on a vicious rant about trans people, and how trans women aren't really women, and how you can only call yourself a woman if you can give birth. And when people heard about her comments, there was a lot of anger directed at her - some of which involved racist slurs and death threats.

Jasmine apologized after posting the video, and said that she only made those comments because she was mad at a particular transwoman - as though that's any sort of excuse. (And obviously there's no excuse for the abuse she was subjected to, either.)

From all of the accounts I've heard, the hatred she received was because of her anti-trans comments - not because she disliked Violet and said "Panties, bitch!" Not everything can be blamed on the fans of the young queens.

• Love 3

What I thought was funny about the Jasmine death threats segment was that Ru's response was to quote lyrics from Sissy That Walk, "Unless they paying your bills, pay them bitches no mind." Available on Itunes.

• Love 3
(edited)

Thanks, but I was curious about what Katya and Ginger said in the video, not what Pearl said.

Multiquote malfunction. Here are my notes on the video from page 1 of this thread.

Katya & Ginger did a meet & greet outside (they were both smoking), and the sound quality's not great on the amateur video. Ginger told a story about how before the show aired Katya predicted everyone would hate Katya and love Ginger, but Ginger reassured her everyone would love them both. Then everybody hated Ginger.

Ginger said everybody read each other on Untucked, but TPTB made her look shady. She said the taping lasts between 2 and 3 hours, then is edited down to 22 minutes.

Starting at 15:02, Katya says Ginger won every other challenge, but TPTB edited the show to let other queens win because Ginger can't win eight challenges.

Edited by editorgrrl
(edited)

Watching the Katya/Ginger "live" untucked from Drag Con is interesting. This was one DragCon event not posted to YouTube by WOW - but uploaded today by an attendee. They're both pretty blunt about some of the production shenanigans during filming. Those sour Untucked moments of Ginger's when she whines she won challenges for her teammates - Katya pretty much agrees with her. 

Edited by editorgrrl