Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Lord of the Rats

Awesome, another miserable useless woman who does nothing but complain about her partner who does EVERYTHING for her. I guess there was a secret 4th item they got to bring on the show, the giant metal rod shoved up her ass. She admits she doesn't know what she's doing as she tries to make the blanket, so he tries to help her and gets accused of being a know-it-all... I think she's used to bossing everyone around and dragging others down to her level and when Darren refused to be dragged down that pissed her off even more.

Darren was quirky for sure, but he had a great attitude and the skills to survive. 

It's kinda odd this season has been relatively douche-bag free on the male side, when there have been SO MANY of them in the past. Wish they could do a better job casting the women.  

• Love 6

She said she'd done a lot of backpacking in the woods. How exactly does that prepare you for an adventure like Naked and Afraid? My kid had a backpack for his school supplies, does he qualify? He also ate a lot of play-doh, so I guess he's well-prepared to improvise meals!

• Love 2

I liked Darren.  He had such a good attitude and wonderful skills. His partner became a hindrance rather than a helper.   Why didn't they attempt to spear some fish?  There must have been crabs among those rocks.

• Love 3

Wow, there must be not too many females beating down the doors to apply for this thing bc they are scraping the bottom apparently.

The bugs bites alone would be a deal breaker for me. Yikes.

• Love 1

The women was so stuck up. She complained about Darren who made her shoes, made a fire, made their beds, gathered/caught all their food, was totally right about how to age bananas. I guess she was upset he didn't provide catering service. I wonder how many husbands she's been through. Darren hit the nail on the head when he said he would rather be alone. The only thing she did was swim 100 or so feet to get Darren at the end.

Darren only lost 6 lbs. I think that's a record.

• Love 7

I've always wondered what type of person would get a perfect PSR rating, and I think Darren has come the closest.  That guy seemed so comfortable in that setting and could have no doubt lasted there indefinitely.  I wonder if it was actually true what he said about his parents just dropping him off to camp by himself when he was 9 y/o !?!  He was a little bit creepy though, especially his Beavis/Butthead snicker when eating the rat organs.  It made sense that someone so comfortable in that setting would make a girly-girl who appreciates a good mani/pedi uncomfortable. 

Darren mentioned that it was illegal to kill the monkeys, and I wonder if there were other prohibitions about what they could and could not kill. 

I think this is the first time the cord has been used as one of their "items" and at first I thought it was an odd selection but boy, it proved to be priceless, at least in Darren's hands!

I agree with whoever said it upthread that it must be hard to find qualified females and yes, for the most part, they are more of a liability than an asset on these challenges. 

• Love 1

Darren was very skilled & at ease. I loved all the uses that were found for his rope, especially the shoes. However, his incessant chatter would have driven me crazy. I agreed with his partner who said he seemed to have some issues relating to interacting with her in an everyday way as opposed to teaching/lecturing. Still she was very limited in her ability, other than endurance I suppose. I agree that he might have been happy to have been left there, alone, for months.

• Love 1

She made a comb?!?! The only item she contributed was a comb so her hair would be pretty. Then she washed it, those were her priorities. Not food, shelter, fire, but her hair! Come on! This is N&A not some pageant show! What a princess! Don't even know her name but she was annoying. Darren did all the work from start to finish, and yeah, she had to listen to his incessant chatter, but considering she barely did any work, he got the short end of the stick. Resilience? Please. If he hadn't been her partner, she would not have survived. Why do vegetarians even bother coming on the show?

He had so much experience and saved them. Even though they had a fire starter, he started a fire without it. He was really good with embracing his environment. Very clever to steam unripe bananas, and with his rat trap. At first I thought...why bring rope, but he used it well, like Duct Tape guy. This was a good episode because he was so well prepared. Lucked out with the cave. He took care of her so much, and all she did was whine and criticize. Surprised the monkeys didn't ambush them to steal the bananas. I know they weren't allowed to hunt the monkeys, but it would have been Monkey meat heaven.

I'm surprised that Darren's lack of a girlfriend was the main topic of conversation. She mentioned it more than 7 times. Ugh. He never argued with her, was just trying to help her inexperienced ineptitude. Man, she's annoying. Plus she's so passive aggressive. She had two modes, either complaining/ whining or quiet cos she was pissed off. I did prefer her to the brat that was on last week, so that's a plus I guess.

• Love 5

the shoes were amazing.   loved that.  Darren could easily live there indefinitely.  She was useless, and when she swam ahead of him at the rescue point I thought it was the height of rudeness.  Do it together dammit, right to the end.  I think THAT move showed a lot about her character.  I don't care that she went back, she left him in the first place.  

• Love 6

He got fire, made them shoes, took care of water, built the shelter, kept the monkeys away, knew the best way to cook bananas, caught at least two different kinds of animals to eat and when she didn't like that he brought her back a coconut because she was complaining. She sucked! Then to leave him in her dust as we swam like a madman to the boat? Truly useless. And you know she wasn't going to go back for him but she realized how that would look. Even then she bitched for a good minute before jumping back in to help him.

I felt a little sad when she went back and was met with a welcoming party and her entire family and he was met with...his dog. I guess that's the life he enjoys, though. His skills really shone through while he was out there, and he was polite the entire time, if a little awkward. One could do much, much worse.

• Love 2

I felt a little sad when she went back and was met with a welcoming party and her entire family and he was met with...his dog. 

Except for the fact that her welcoming party didn't look happy to see her... They all kinda had this "oh great, the bitch survived" look on their faces. 

• Love 3

Those sandals Darren made were awesome.

Agreed.  Lack of shoes has hurt almost all the contestants on N&A, some severely so.  Are they that hard to make from natural materials in those environments? 

• Love 2

I felt a little sad when she went back and was met with a welcoming party and her entire family and he was met with...his dog. I guess that's the life he enjoys, though.

Awww, that was the best part for me. Darren and his dog seemed ecstatic to see each other !  I teared up a bit....(well see avatar. LOL)

Darren was the most capable contestant on this show so far.   His PSR should have skyrocketed. 

Darren was a little strange and maybe a little awkward with social interaction. That might have gotten on my nerves too. But then I would look down at my feet at the sandals he made me and take another bite of rotisserie rat and proclaim him my best buddy forever. 

She said she'd done a lot of backpacking in the woods. How exactly does that prepare you for an adventure like Naked and Afraid? My kid had a backpack for his school supplies, does he qualify? He also ate a lot of play-doh, so I guess he's well-prepared to improvise meals!

I backpacked in New Hampshire.   Basically, you follow a marked trail.   If you go above treeline, or for a really long hike,  you carry stuff you need in your pack-Water, clif bars, toilet paper, collapsible shovel to dig poop hole, foul weather gear, whatever you need for  a day hike.     Anyone can do it. 

They should match the vegetarians up.   I would like to see if they actually could make it on a completely vegetarian diet.

Those rats looked much more delicious than snakes.   As to eating monkeys, how would he catch one if it were allowed?    Those things are smart, fast, strong, and can mess you up if they go on the defensive.   Better to go for bananas and rats.