Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I missed the Spike miniseries Gone: The Forgotten Women of Ohio until I saw it mentioned yesterday. I knew the Chillicothe story, but the other women around the state were new stories. The willingness to delve into the dangers of prostitution at a time when the Internet wants me to believe that "sex work" is "empowering" was a huge relief. The way drugs and prostitution are laying waste to so many young lives just infuriates me. Very good presentation of the stories. I am surprised to see it on Spike. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 6

I don't normally have much sympathy for the defendant in murder cases, but, sometimes, you can see the reasons behind their motive.  So, I was a little surprised at this recent episode of Blood Relatives where the witnesses characterized the ex-girlfriend/baby's mama as a horrific person and in need of the most harsh punishment.  They even said that the jury hated her, the judge wanted to give her a special punishment because of the kind of person she was....Really?  Okay.  The woman had no criminal background, she shared custody of several step- children with her ex-husband because she was a good mother to them, and didn't seem to mistreat anyone. She maintained good relationships with her ex-husband and his family.   The man she was accused of having killed was her ex-boyfriend, who's nick name around town was Monster, because he was so so dangerous.  When she was 5 months pregnant he pushed her down and tried to strangle her.  She defended herself by hitting him in the head with a coffee pot!  It scared her and she broke it off with him.  He then continued to harass her and was taking her to court to fight for paternity.  She tried to allege that he was NOT the father when she discovered he was violent.  (She secretly let his dad visit the baby, because his dad was a good man.)  To me, it was evident that this violent man was going to be a danger to her and the child for the rest of their lives.  He was violent with his dad too!  I get why she might have asked her ex-husband to take care of him. But, there was never any real evidence that she was behind the murder.  Just the word of her ex-husband's younger brother. But, even if she did......I see it more as her being scared of the man and not a cold hearted, cruel thing.  

The victim's sister was talking like there was NO reason the woman should have killed her brother....he was a terror to a lot of people. I get it.  Even the guy's dad said many people had issues with him.  Why would the judge have been so incensed over the woman having him killed?  I'm sure he's seen much worse.  It wasn't for money or greed, but fear of the guy.  So odd, imo.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
On 9/5/2017 at 1:34 PM, Brattinella said:

I never believed the Amber Hilberling case was murder.  Self-defense or accident; those floor-to-ceiling windows were made of SUPER INFERIOR quality.  There should not be such thin, fragile glass on the 25th floor of a building! So sad that she killed herself.

Amber was a no good. Look deeper. Look at her actions after the death. Her Mom won't let the father's family see the baby. She was on parole and tampered with her ankle monitor.(or something with her ankle monitor). She did drugs, she taunted his family. Amber wasn't a good person at all. Based on her statements and actions, I believe that she was guilty. 

• Love 4

If on a jury, I don't think that I would have put too much stake in Amber's words in the interrogation room, after her husband's death, but still......WHY would a sane person talk that way?  Her grandmother kept telling her to shut up. She seemed insistent that she said OUTLOUD that she caused his death and what kind of person she was.  I mean, her grandma heard her the first time, so why repeat it? 

Do these people not realize those rooms rooms are recorded?  Do they never see any true crime shows, Date Line, 48 Hour Mystery, or Law & Order?  lol  They sit in the police car and talk, interrogation room, etc. and say all kinds of things.  Some of the time, I think they are innocent, but, what they are saying hurts them. Other times, they are guilty and it does them in.  

It's like the saying goes:  "People have the right to remain silent, just not the ABILITY."   lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
22 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If on a jury, I don't think that I would have put too much stake in Amber's words in the interrogation room, after her husband's death, but still......WHY would a sane person talk that way?  Her grandmother kept telling her to shut up. She seemed insistent that she said OUTLOUD that she caused his death and what kind of person she was.  I mean, her grandma heard her the first time, so why repeat it? 

Do these people not realize those rooms rooms are recorded?  Do they never see any true crime shows, Date Line, 48 Hour Mystery, or Law & Order?  lol  They sit in the police car and talk, interrogation room, etc. and say all kinds of things.  Some of the time, I think they are innocent, but, what they are saying hurts them. Other times, they are guilty and it does them in.  

It's like the saying goes:  "People have the right to remain silent, just not the ABILITY."   lol 

The DA didn't think that they would win either. When you put her history, along with her actions... And then hear those words, it's hard not to believe that she's guilty. They are still taunting Joshua's family. Even with her obituary. 

• Love 2

I sure do feel for these families who have lost adult children to murder, when their adult child really exhibited very concerning behavior, which exposed them to a dangerous killer.  Like the recent episode on ID Discovery yesterday.  I can't recall the name of the show, but, the sweet young lady, met a guy in an internet chat room and ended up giving him her address and allowing him to come to her house for a sexual encounter.  A few weeks later, he murdered her in her home.  I think that he had also murdered another woman.  So very tragic.  

• Love 5

At one point in her chats with the killer, she had refused to provide her address, saying that he could be a serial killer!  So, she was aware of the danger.  I wonder why she gave in.  And this guy repeatedly called her Pet.  Like, My Pet, do this and do that.....very odd, imo.  If a stranger called me My Pet, I don't think I would think kindly of it and that would be the end of that. Maybe, they had fantasies about  that kind of thing. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6

I must say, Shattered is one of the best new shows that the ID Channel has put out in a very long time.  I don't know if "enjoy" is the right term to use for something I find so raw and emotional, but the cases are intense and well told, and I like the first person storytelling format.

• Love 14

Last night's episode of Shattered, literally caused me to weep.  That father had to have been a sociopath.  I do not see how a person with any kind of conscience could have had his helpless, disabled child murdered.  It really boggles the mind.  Not to mention, killing the mother of his other two living children.  AND an innocent healthcare worker!  What a monster!  And he was so clueless that he didn't realize that that kind of murder pointed straight to him.  And, he picked an idiot to pull it off.  He left a trail of evidence right to his hotel room!  And he registered with his real name!  And he kept contacting the man who hired him!  Not too bright.  It's fitting that the ex-husband/father  never did get the money he was going after.  Then he dies in prison.  What a sad story.  

I must have missed a couple of things.  Where was the other young daughter at the time of the murders?  She was the same age of her twin brother who was disabled.  She would have been in the home or in school, right? But, this happened in the early morning right?  

Also, why was the garage door open when the sister arrived that morning and why were there couch cushions lying on the garage floor?  I missed an explanation for this. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6

I think Shattered  does more to paint the true picture of the killer, than say the series American Monster.  They may show some photos and old footage, but, it's handled in a different way that I find appropriate.  It's about those family members who remain alive and the victims, but, it also shows much about the killers and just how heartless they were. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I've been impressed with Shattered as well, walnutqueen. The one last night was particularly well done. With all the true crime I watch, it's hard to be shocked by human behavior, but the father from the show last night was jaw-droppingly cold-hearted.

Agreed. The home videos of that sweet little boy got to me. He looked so happy with his family. I just...I don't get it. I don't understand. I felt for the killer's daughter, too, having to reconcile what her father became with how she'd known him. 

I also love the detectives they show in these episodes-it's obvious how much they care about the cases being discussed, ans the people they're helping. And it's interesting to see how the cases affect them and stick with them. 

I like the show, too. It's very powerful and moving. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 7

Is anyone watching Street Justice: The Bronx? It's another one of these series based on the recollections of a retired detective. Since I had worked in the Bronx for 25 years I had some interest in seeing this show. So I watched 2 episodes but both times felt that there was something so off about this show. The detective, Ralph Friedman, relates the stories in a flat workmanlike fashion with a minimal show of emotion, wit, or insight. The reenactments are cliched with dialog straight out of a 1970s cop show. Plus the pacing is wierd. Interspersed between the cheesy re-enactments they'll throw in some random news footage of the Bronx burning or whatever, and have a random talking head (another detective usually) make some kind of social commentary. And, most important, unlike Shattered, this show is unable to convey any true emotion - any sense of what the victims went through, what made the criminals tick, or even how the people in law enforcement felt. It's like it's going through the motions but it doesn't have any heart. At least, that's my take on it. I'll be curious to know what others think.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Midnight Sun said:

Good description. I feel the same way, and I really wanted to like this show.  Maybe I'll give it another chance.

I didn't like it either. Boring. 

6 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Agreed. The home videos of that sweet little boy got to me. He looked so happy with his family. I just...I don't get it. I don't understand. I felt for the killer's daughter, too, having to reconcile what her father became with how she'd known him. 

I'd seen this show before, on another crime show, can't remember which one, and I recognized it right away. This one was very well done, though. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, KellsBells said:

I'd seen this show before, on another crime show, can't remember which one, and I recognized it right away. This one was very well done, though. 

I know it was done on The FBI Files.  There was also a movie about the lawsuit which depicted the crime as well.

• Love 3

I'd seen the Horn story at least twice on other shows but the Shattered episode was STELLAR and kept me riveted despite knowing who did it.

Like you all, I find it absolutely galling that a father would do this not just to his child, but to a child so helpless. And then to see that he used his older daughter for the video that he gave to the hitman to help him plan the murders. What a hateful, manipulative excuse for a man.

I hope he suffered in prison, I really do. And I really liked the aunt and the daughter. I pray they have peace now, at least as much as you can have after something so horrible.

I enjoyed the detective mocking Horn for taping himself watching the news. Who does that? And he actually thought that was going to get him off the hook. I can't.

Edited by ridethemaverick
  • Love 4

You guys are right, as always....?

SHATTERED is the BEST show on the ID channel.  I watched every episode yesterday and this morning.  Just an amazing show that you cannot miss a minute of.

In the Horn story, where was the youngest daughter the day of the murders?  Was she with her aunt?  Is that who she referred to as Cookie?  

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

You guys are right, as always....?

SHATTERED is the BEST show on the ID channel.  I watched every episode yesterday and this morning.  Just an amazing show that you cannot miss a minute of.

In the Horn story, where was the youngest daughter the day of the murders?  Was she with her aunt?  Is that who she referred to as Cookie?  

One of the articles that I read, said the younger daughter was with a relative. I think an aunt.  Maybe, the one featured on Shattered. 

I still can't figure out why the aunt, when she first arrived, saw the garage door open with the sofa cushions on the garage floor. 

If the Perry guy made such a terrible cover up of the murders with the help of an how to book, I can't imagine how it would have been if he hadn't used a book.  Of course, I'm glad he messed up, so they were able to bring him and Horn to justice. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Did anyone watch "The Murder of Lacy Peterson : A Closer Look" last night? It was a 3 hour show. I tried to watch it all but fell asleep. It looked like a rehash with "new theories" about the murder. 

Damn, my DVR didn't record it.   The entire series is a rehash but I am interested in the alternate theory which I already don't believe!  LOL  

1 minute ago, wings707 said:

Damn, my DVR didn't record it. 

You might do a search for the show, because so many shows are on different channels from the one you may have set to record it.
My 600 Lb Life is on 2 or 3 channels, and other are too.

Just now, auntjess said:

You might do a search for the show, because so many shows are on different channels from the one you may have set to record it.
My 600 Lb Life is on 2 or 3 channels, and other are too.

Thanks.  I have DIRECTV and it usually picks up the show.  I will check that out.  

I am sick and tired of all my true crime shows.  They are all the same and every once in a great while you get a winner. 

I need recommendations for different true crime shows. 

I just put Shattered on as suggested above.  

What I have now:  Dateline, 20/20, the one with Tamron Hall.  I deleted the others, I forget there name snow.  Deadly Wed? was one.  

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, smittykins said:

Or they search "how to murder your spouse and make it look like an accident" on their computer.  It never occurs to them that said computer will be confiscated and searched, and many times, an expert can bring back files after they've been deleted.

If I were to do that, I'd be getting ads for untraceble poisons and hitmen, the way every search seems to follow me.  I need a way to say that we found a bought a new floor fan, so just stop the ads.

3 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Not sure what's in hiatus and what has new shows, but I like See No Evil (surveillance tape) best of all.  Then Swamp Murders, Murder Chose Me, and I can't remember all of them.
Don't like the ones that give away killer, like Evil Twins, Evil Women, Evil Stepmother (stuff of nightmares).
I have a lot of things set, but will delete episodes that I don't like the look of.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Not sure what's in hiatus and what has new shows, but I like See No Evil (surveillance tape) best of all.  Then Swamp Murders, Murder Chose Me, and I can't remember all of them.
Don't like the ones that give away killer, like Evil Twins, Evil Women, Evil Stepmother (stuff of nightmares).
I have a lot of things set, but will delete episodes that I don't like the look of.

Yeah, I do the same.  And agree with the ones that give away the murder..  I will put those you mentioned on my DVR.  Thanks.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, wings707 said:

Thanks.  I have DIRECTV and it usually picks up the show.  I will check that out.  

I am sick and tired of all my true crime shows.  They are all the same and every once in a great while you get a winner. 

I just put Shattered on as suggested above.  

What I have now:  Dateline, 20/20, the one with Tamron Hall.  I deleted the others, I forget there name snow.  Deadly Wed? was one.  

My faves:

Shattered 

Homocide Hunter

Murder Comes To Town

Swamp Murders

• Love 5

From Lifetime schedule for Saturday, 9/30:
6:00 PM  to 7:00 PM        The Murder of Laci Peterson: Media Frenzy
7:00 PM  to 8:00 PM        The Murder of Laci Peterson: Most Hated Man
8:00 PM  to 9:00 PM        The Murder of Laci Peterson: Trial Begins
9:00 PM  to 10:32 PM      The Murder of Laci Peterson: The Verdict
10:32 PM  to 12:02 AM   The Murder of Laci Peterson: Reasonable Doubt
12:02 AM  to 1:02 AM     The Murder of Laci Peterson: Trial Begins
1:02 AM  to 2:34 AM       The Murder of Laci Peterson: The Verdict
2:34 AM  to 4:04 AM       The Murder of Laci Peterson: Reasonable Doubt

ETA: I think this must be Closer Look, because the episodes have the same titles.
http://tv.twcc.com/tv/murder-of-laci-peterson-a-closer-look/11263845

Edited by auntjess
10 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

For some unknown reason, the Laci Peterson case just doesn't resonate for me.

Perhaps it is just overload, or I am just jaded.

Interesting. That's one of the few that keeps me hooked, unlike Casey Anthony, Jodi Arias, and the zillion stories of men who killed their wives/girlfriends. I think it's because in all of the other cases, there are signs. I mean, most of the husbands were abusers or assholes in general. Scott Peterson was, by all accounts, a very loving, attentive husband.  That's why the family didn't suspect him until Amber Frey came forward, because they'd never seen anything but positive, loving interactions between the two (yes, he had one or more affairs, but they knew nothing about that). That's unusual. 

I watched that Murder of Laci Peterson series and, while it was interesting and there was a lot of thought-provoking material there (assuming these are all reliable sources, which many probably are not) the fact that they found the bodies where Scott just happened to be fishing convicts him for me no matter how many other possibilities they bring up. Having said that, I also agree with the juror who said that, if he had it to do over, he wouldn't have voted for the death penalty. And I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he eventually gets a new trial based on juror misconduct either, they were terrible. The one girl lied on her juror application and their comments afterward seemed to prove that they had both an agenda and plenty of bias. 

• Love 1

Almost none of the cases that I remember from when they happened, interest me.  I was just posting it because it was on a different channel.
I'll watch Brad Bishop cases usually, but not the one I got sick of the first go round.

• Love 2

There is nothing else on, so I am half-heartedly watching an episode of Laci Peterson.  What a BS slime job!  Everyone excusing this POS!  He murdered her!  And his unborn son!  Not watching any more of this drivel.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

There is nothing else on,

Come watch Catfish on MTV with me.  It's almost always on.  It's unbelievable.
And there are some new Forensic Files in the mix, and First 48 is showing up on strange channels.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Come watch Catfish on MTV with me.  It's almost always on.  It's unbelievable.
And there are some new Forensic Files in the mix, and First 48 is showing up on strange channels.

Thanks!  I found some Forensic Files to watch, and Swamp Murders, too.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Midnight Sun said:

I recently discovered that the ID channel thread from yore is back-up-and-running.  Well, shit, too bad, now everyone and everything is all over the damn place.  I kinda miss the "old" days.

That was by far my most favorite thread, until "someone" (cough, cough) decided to decimate it.  Just goes to show why we can't have nice things.

• Love 5

Man, I just saw an episode of Usual Suspects that was awesome!  It featured the horrific murder of a young lady inside her apt.  in Raleigh, NC 2001. (Stephanie Bennett).  This murder terrified me as a resident of Raleigh.  Man, the sleepless nights over this one.  It went unsolved for years! (As it turned out, he worked not far from my office!)  Also, I had friends who lived in the same apt complex!  Still, there were so many facts revealed in this episode, than ever came out during the investigation.  I suppose a lot was not let out, since the defendant killed himself in jail, awaiting trial, so we never got to watch the trial on live stream. 

Even though they had his DNA, they couldn't match it to anyone.  It was really a fluke the way he was caught.  If you get a chance, check out this episode. 

I do wish they had revealed more about the OTHER murders this guy committed before he moved to Raleigh.  He is suspected of being a true serial killer. 

• Love 3

Another thing that is very apparent in the True Crime cases, is that young women walking alone at night (wee early hours of the a.m.) are at a great risk of violence.  It happened years ago and still happens.  Apparently, all the stories about how it's unsafe, call an escort, call for cab, etc.  don't work that well. 

• Love 2

My favorite true crime show is A Crime to Remember, which has been announced as renewed for season five, supposedly to air soon, in fall 2017.  The IMDB shows two completed episodes but there's still no definite air date.  So I wonder is it really coming back or what?  This is fall already!

• Love 5

My name is Otter and I'm addicted to ID.  I can't help it!  Some of the shows are so darn cheesy with the bad narration but I still watch.   Lol, I have a hard time remembering the names of the various shows but will say that Detective Kenda has really grown on me.  My my my!  

A&E will show a mini-marathon of "Killer Kids" on occasion.  Anyone seen that?  It's horrifying and tragic depending on the "kid".  The horrifying cases goes back to the bad seed/bad nurturing discussion.  But too many of these kids were so abused and finally had enough and their only recourse was killing.  Yesterday, watched 2 hours of the Menendez brothers on ID -- don't buy for a minute that they were abused.  Was dad a bully?  Yeah, expectations and demands unrealistically high.  Doesn't warrant blowing their parents up with shotguns.  But that's just me.  

• Love 6

I watch the "Killer Kids" shows from time to time, yeah. I remember one about a ten year old boy who'd shot his neo-Nazi father, and they were talking about how the system in general had totally failed in trying to help this kid and how none of the adults in his life really helped him or took good care of him (his parents were very abusive and neglectful), and I really felt for that poor kid. I hope whenever he gets out of juvenile prison/detention somebody will help him properly ease back into society and help him learn to deal with all the stress and pain he'd been through in his life up to that point, 'cause otherwise that kid's got a real tough road ahead of him. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I watch the "Killer Kids" shows from time to time, yeah. I remember one about a ten year old boy who'd shot his neo-Nazi father, and they were talking about how the system in general had totally failed in trying to help this kid and how none of the adults in his life really helped him or took good care of him (his parents were very abusive and neglectful), and I really felt for that poor kid. I hope whenever he gets out of juvenile prison/detention somebody will help him properly ease back into society and help him learn to deal with all the stress and pain he'd been through in his life up to that point, 'cause otherwise that kid's got a real tough road ahead of him. 

Oh that kid!  He's on my tragic meter.  I don't remember what happened to his mom -- maybe a junkie?  And add in the evil stepmother.  The child was intentionally destroyed.  I'm honestly relieved I'm in charge of nothing because I wouldn't know what to do.  If other state's foster care is like my state's (Washington), that's no solution either.  I just weep.  

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

The Menendez brothers are scum, pure and simple.  I hate that people are sticking up for them.  They just wanted the MONEY!

I hadn't seen the shows until yesterday, but not unlike the SP miniseries.  Pure scum for different reasons.  And totally biased!  As much as the writers/producers want us to believe, we're too smart.  Each of them had the same sociopathic looks on their faces too.  Mouths somewhat agape, eyes wide pretending "that's not me!"  

Murdering pos's

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Otter said:

My name is Otter and I'm addicted to ID.  I can't help it!  Some of the shows are so darn cheesy with the bad narration but I still watch.   Lol, I have a hard time remembering the names of the various shows but will say that Detective Kenda has really grown on me.  My my my!  

A&E will show a mini-marathon of "Killer Kids" on occasion.  Anyone seen that?  It's horrifying and tragic depending on the "kid".  The horrifying cases goes back to the bad seed/bad nurturing discussion.  But too many of these kids were so abused and finally had enough and their only recourse was killing.  Yesterday, watched 2 hours of the Menendez brothers on ID -- don't buy for a minute that they were abused.  Was dad a bully?  Yeah, expectations and demands unrealistically high.  Doesn't warrant blowing their parents up with shotguns.  But that's just me.  

In case anyone hasn't welcomed you yet, I'm shooting you a big ole "HI" sign and assure you that you have found your people!  ;-)

There may come a time in your life where you suffer cheesy ID show burnout, but please bear with us - we are all navigating between 20/20, 48 Hours, Dateline, the eviscerated ID Channel thread, and now True Crime.  ID has some shitshows, for sure, but we are resiliant, and live in the hope that this channel produces more good shows like "Shattered", and less cheesy fare like ... [insert your most aggravating ID show here].

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Otter said:

Lol, I have a hard time remembering the names of the various shows

Yes, I second the welcome.  The same crimes show up on many shows, and I don't think I'm the only one who can't keep them straight, so that's why we hate it when someone wants to make forum for a single show.
We need to be able to compare, contrast, and mix up.
My favorites are whodunits and anything about Russ Williams.

• Love 4