Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

This doesn't ring a bell for me, but 5 or 10 minutes in I'll no doubt recall if I've seen before.  See...that's the good thing about having CRS disease (Can't Remember Shit) -- everything is new again!  (I really shouldn't make fun like this at my age - really could happen!)

CSR disease = Can't Remember Shit.  I am totally using that. Thank you. hahahaha

• Love 2

Wow!  Two shows in a row last night that were very interesting & I'd never heard of before (honest!).  I was, however, familiar with the Vanity Fair Confidential segment featuring Jack Kevorkian because I live in Michigan, but not the other (service?) that apparently still offers assisted suicides in quite a few states.  I don't know how I missed reading about the shooting rampage in Silicon Valley in 1988 (on Deadly Demands).  Good God ... how horrific was that?!  Both shows were done well & I didn't fall asleep during either one!  Amazing.

• Love 1

Seems like the only way to keep 'em straight is to title threads with perp and victim names.

I never know where to look for stuff and info seems to become fragmented going from forum to forum and thread to thread. And when the three main crime shows do the same crime? Impossible.

I have stopped watching at night because I fall asleep and that darn ad with the opera singer jars me awake. They can beat people, rape and kill people but it's that singing that wakes me.

Anyway I originally stopped by to say I see they are advertising a new season of Dissapeared starting in April. It was my favorite. I still get chills watching the re-runs of the one about the college girl who left her car in the snow in NH. It's not a long drive from us.

• Love 7

I'm looking forward to seeing Dissapeared too. Even the reruns with the with the unsolved cases could be good to run from time to time, I've seen some of them in the mornings when I'm home.

I don't like the ads for House of Horrors - I paid too much attention to it recently and it made me sick.

Another ad I wish ID would stop running is for "Counting On" on TLC. It seems to be run too many times. I don't think they ran ads for 19 Kids ... (Or whatever the show is called) much in the years prior on ID. I'd like to know if El Salvador is so dangerous, why did they bring a baby?

• Love 7

What are your thoughts on the new promo for  "Scorned: Love Kills"

You know, the one featuring, what looks like an 18 yr old women being pushed up against the wall wearing red bra & Panties and ravaged sexually ?

Completely unnecessary, IMO

Edited by stillhere1900
  • Love 4

I think they should take a survey of their viewers.  A great many of us do not like all the overt sexuality of some of those shows, and refuse to watch them.  That's one of the shows I am wary of, there are others.  I just watch something else.  I don't need to see naked, heaving flesh in the midst of a murder story.

• Love 9

Yeah, I will avoid, "Scorned: love kills", mainly because the story is more concerned with making it all about sex verses the truth. Once you start goggling the real people and they are nowhere as attractive as portrayed, the story loses credibility. We are talking about true crime here. Truth is kinda the point isn't it?

I have mixed feelings about Disappeared. The original show was well done but it always left me so depressed for the families. The murder stories are awful too obviously, but there is something about never getting an answer that feels hopeless. I really feel for those people. Every now and then, I will google to see if some people have been found.

I have stopped watching at night because I fall asleep and that darn ad with the opera singer jars me awake. They can beat people, rape and kill people but it's that singing that wakes me.

Anyway I originally stopped by to say I see they are advertising a new season of Dissapeared starting in April. It was my favorite. I still get chills watching the re-runs of the one about the college girl who left her car in the snow in NH. It's not a long drive from us.

I just had to reply to your experience of waking to that horrible add. I too fall asleep to ID cause I can turn my back to the tv and still follow the story by just listening. Last night, again, I awoke to that add. They played it no less than three times inside of ten minutes. It really is the worst.

• Love 6

What are your thoughts on the new promo for "Scorned: Love Kills"

You know, the one featuring, what looks like an 18 yr old women being pushed up against the wall wearing red bra & Panties and ravaged sexually ?

Completely unnecessary, IMO

It's not a new promo. They used this promo in late 2014. The promo looks more like a promo for a soap opera than it does for a true crime show. It's like Melrose Place on I.D.

• Love 2

There isn't a 'small talk  thread  

Have you guys ever noticed that ID uses some of the same actors in the different crime shows ?  Like the guy who plays a younger Joe Kendra in, Homicide Hunter: LT Joe Kendra ?

Ive seem the actor who plays Joe and he's playing a cop in the different crime shows.

Edited by stillhere1900
  • Love 3

I'm watching my DVR recording of last night's new See No Evil, about the freshman from University of Florida. Anybody else see it and thought the girlfriend was super-clingy? She already was getting worried when she didn't immediately hear from him after her class when she texted him multiple times and before that first night even went by she drove down to his dorm room to get his roommate to text her when he came in?

• Love 1

Oh, gawd, that girl again! I've watched other interviews she's given and get the impression that she enjoys being the center of attention in this morbid tale.                                         ​

Other shows have done this case?

• Love 1

Frustratingly, yes.  I've bitched about this issue enough, so I'll try to keep my pie hole shut (fat chance).

That was the first time I'd seen it and one of the few times I've had a negative reaction to a friend or family of the victim.

Well, her, and the victim herself​ from Web of Lies a few weeks back, the one that lost a lot of weight and seemed to use that as an excuse to leave her husband and literally sneak out the front door with their children. And then I felt bad thinking she was shady because she ended up dead. Lol

• Love 3

Did anyone watch the Obsession one about the politician's wife who was being stalked? God, that was frustrating. I was annoyed that they waited 4 years to involve the cops and then I was pissed that the cops couldn't do anything. It was the 80s before stalker laws. The actor playing the stalker was kind of cracking me up, though.

• Love 5

Did anyone watch the Obsession one about the politician's wife who was being stalked? God, that was frustrating. I was annoyed that they waited 4 years to involve the cops and then I was pissed that the cops couldn't do anything. It was the 80s before stalker laws. The actor playing the stalker was kind of cracking me up, though.

This episode had me enraged to the point of implosion!  WHY do they write these parts for women as if they didn't have a brain in their head?!

• Love 3

Just caught Web of Lies about the older lady that was murdered in her home by

her son

.  It really didn't involve the web at all, and I really felt bad for her that they had to expose such personal information about her - online boyfriend that coaxed her into posing for sexy pictures and videos and building up to bondage scenarios.  I don't care what the lady wanted to do in her private life, but I seriously doubt she would have wanted some of her most personal moments broadcast to the world.  It really seemed unnecessary, especially with her family commenting, but then I guess there wouldn't have been much of a story otherwise.

• Love 5

Did they ever even say why the son killed her? Or who Will Johnstrom was?

They could never figure out the identity of Will Johnstrom, and I think they said their best theory about the son was that he was afraid mom was going to move to Tampa and his free ride would be over since he lived with her.  

• Love 3

Tonight's episode of Scorned: Love Kills will feature the John and Ruby Ruffolo story that I have only seen featured on Snapped. Ruby Ann Ruffolo looks like an uglier version of Bruce Jenner so knowing Scorned they'll probably have someone that looks like Kate Upton playing her.

• Love 5
(edited)

A mashup I really want to see--any ID show, and Storage Wars.
I was watching a Forensic Files, where the guy kept the woman in a stolen U-Haul, in a freezer plugged into the his house.
Then a commercial had a promo for Storage Wars, and it just seems like a natural blend.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 5

Oh, gawd, that girl again! I've watched other interviews she's given and get the impression that she enjoys being the center of attention in this morbid tale.                                         ​

Oh, wow, so it's not just me who has that reaction to her.  Yes, they've done this one before.  The one they did for Dateline was repeated ad nauseam for a long time, it seemed like it was always on. 

• Love 1

I am weirdly addicted to "American Greed" -- I think it's largely because pretty much all the stories have a "happy" ending. Lots of people lost their life savings, of course, but the dirtbags are all caught and most are in jail for a long time. I'm amazed how many Ponzi schemes there apparently are, and it's made me incredibly conservative with my money. No way are my life savings leaving a bond-heavy Vanguard fund, chasing after too good to be true returns. Somewhere my ex-brother in law, who scammed his way through life, is kicking himself for thinking so small.

But I do think it's pretty telling that a lot of the commercials that air during A.G. are very skeezy-sounding lending and investment companies, ambulance-chasing lawyers, and gold buyers. I guess it's where the suckers congregate....

• Love 2

I thought the obsession episode about the politician"s wife was so scary and well done.

I do have a complaint, though, and it is about that opera singer that many of us can't stand. The problem with that ad is that it starts right off with the horrible singing, so you have only a split second to grab the remote..And why do we have to hear over and over and over,"we just wanted to know what happened to Amy" or "I just want to talk to Nancy" aren't there more sound bites they can use? These shows are great but the ads that repeat incessantly are a turn off.

• Love 4

OK, I'm shallow.  But on a show, maybe Tamron Hall, the detective's name was Cord Wood.  Who names a kid that?

Paul Bunyan?

I'm ever so glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this and did a total "WTF?".    :-)

• Love 1

I've just been going through the ID schedule for the next few days, and there are NEW shows on in the morning/daytime. 
I've looked on line, and you can't tell what's new from that.

I just checked my DVR guide to see what is on ID, and thought, hm, Cause of Death, that must be new! Turns out it's just Forensic Files with a different name. How many names has this show had anyway. I know it's been Medical Detectives and Mystery Detectives in addition to Forensic Files. They don't seem to realize that a new name doesn't make it a new show. 

• Love 3

One more post. I just finished watching last night's See No Evil (don't worry, no spoilers here) and had to laugh when one of the cops said something like, "Solving a crime from a video is so rare..." Um, dude, so rare that there's a whole TV series about it and you're on it. It was a great episode, though, and the only one so far with a story that I haven't seen elsewhere.  

• Love 8

I've enjoyed Web of Lies until last night's episode, "Catfished" (term I've never heard) about the cute San Diego h.s. senior who posted half-nude pics of herself to her iCloud account ("password protected" she said) then sent them out to her girlfriends & boyfriend.  These people who do this never cease to amaze me, but we're talking about a teenager in this story, so...  Anyhow, the show does prove the dangers of the internet, and that's a good thing.  Many years ago my brother, who was an internet geek, told me something I've never forgotten:  "Don't EVER put anything on the internet that you don't want posted on the front page of the paper."  Good advice, indeed.

• Love 3

Regarding last night's Web of Lies, I wonder how strong that girl's passwords were for the accounts to be hacked. She probably had the same one for all of them.

She was very lucky the way it all turned out.

Several years ago (maybe even when MySpace was still popular) there were stories about people posting pictures of themselves doing stupid things like being drunk at a party then it being used against them when they applied for a job. I guess this girl didn't hear about that and what she was doing could cause problems for her later.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm at home working, and am currently watching one of the "new" daytime shows.  It appears to just be repackaged episodes of an old TruTV show who's name eludes me at the time, but I recognize it.  They used to replay the episodes really early in the morning.  I want to say The Investigators, but I think it's even older than that.  It's the one with the narrator talking over everything.  

Edited by Rina99
  • Love 3

The Fear Thy Neighbor episode last night about the dog mauling death of Klonda Richey was simply horrific.  As a weird old cat lady who loves dogs, I was outraged that a POS like Andrew Nason wasn't muzzled before he could inflict more harm on innocent people and animals alike.  I am sick over this one and wish I hadn't watched it.

• Love 4

The Fear Thy Neighbor episode last night about the dog mauling death of Klonda Richey was simply horrific.  As a weird old cat lady who loves dogs, I was outraged that a POS like Andrew Nason wasn't muzzled before he could inflict more harm on innocent people and animals alike.  I am sick over this one and wish I hadn't watched it.

I am very glad I missed this one.  I just read an article about Andrew Nason and his two CANE CORSO dogs.  He got such a minimal sentence (as did his girlfriend) and he complained "Well, my dogs died too!".  GAH!

• Love 6

Yeah, that one really bothered me. I wish that she had taken all the footage she had when she went to get the restraining order.  People hearing her screaming and no one bothered to cal the cops. No one bothered at all. Just the fact that she had footage of those dogs running loose all times of the day and night. Why didn't she go down to the police station and show them ?   Don't most cities have 'vicious dog ordinances ?  Denver does.

• Love 6

Deadly Demands. I'm glad it turned out well for that woman and her kids but...who starts a relationship with a prison inmate? And takes their kids to meet said inmate? Without even knowing what he's in prison for?

I've never understood women who struck up relationships with random prison inmates.  I have a very low tolerance for women who expose their children to dangerous situations due to their need to have any type of man in their lives, and consistently failing to do due diligence in knowing exactly who they're getting involved with.  

Sometimes you can do that and still end up with a psycho, but more often than not, the clues are there, and too many women willfully ignore them.  Well, that's about as polite as I can be on this issue, which is a real hot-button one for me.

• Love 12