Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: And Baby Makes Three?

Veeral's upset that Ragini's already reconsidering her wedding vows; Christian and Maria prepare for impending parenthood with a hellish dry run; and Meghan and Josh get the shock of their lives when they discover that waiting for kids may no longer be an option.

Today on "Arranged", Meghan and Josh prove the old adage of "age is just a number" right because for two people in their late 20s, they have the maturity and responsibility of thrice-run over roadkill.

Veeral, we get it, you want kids. But stop trying to foist it upon her like it's her only obligation - it's not. And even then, having just one or two kids is just fine. 34 is not a bad time in human fecundity.

Christian has improved just a little. Just. I still don't think he's ready for kids or marriage, obviously. Neither is Maria and neither are 99.5% of 18-year olds barring a mass extinction of the human race.

• Love 3

I almost feel sorry for Josh and Meghan. Their parents have set them up for failure as young adults! I don't think she's pregnant, though I guess Plan B didn't occur to them after their oopsie. Best $50 I ever spent once upon a time, for the pace of mind alone.

I think Veeral needs to chill the eff out with the pressure (and take his wife's side by telling his family to knock it off!), but it's really not cool to marry someone with promises -in your VOWS no less- of children you may never want. That's just despicable. You can always compromise when someone wants 2 kids and the other wants 4, but there's no compromise between wanting to be a parent and not.

My heart broke for Maria when she explained why she doesn't want any daughters.

• Love 4
(edited)

I almost feel sorry for Josh and Meghan. Their parents have set them up for failure as young adults! I don't think she's pregnant, though I guess Plan B didn't occur to them after their oopsie. Best $50 I ever spent once upon a time, for the pace of mind alone.

I think Veeral needs to chill the eff out with the pressure (and take his wife's side by telling his family to knock it off!), but it's really not cool to marry someone with promises -in your VOWS no less- of children you may never want. That's just despicable. You can always compromise when someone wants 2 kids and the other wants 4, but there's no compromise between wanting to be a parent and not.

My heart broke for Maria when she explained why she doesn't want any daughters.

I completely agree on everything. Josh and Meghan really are ill prepared for life. Being shocked about being cut off and not knowing how to run finances at their age is just insane. In graduate school, I knew how to take care of myself from bills to rent to student loan payments with some assistance from parents. These two don't have a clue between them. I cracked up at her ovulation chart. There's apps for that and basic knowledge of your cycle can get you pregnant with a few OPKs. With being late, she really should have dealt with it sooner or later not when you're late. What a dumbass. Another dumbass thing with these two is peeing on a stick at night, not first morning urine. Dumb and Dumber, these two.

I understand Veeral's perspective from a medical standpoint but he really does need to relax about it. I had my first at 32 and am due with my next one in a few weeks at 35. Being advanced maternal age nowadays just means an extra, expensive blood test that looks at a wider spectrum than the first one they give you at 12 weeks. I side with Ragini on her, let's relax, and then have kids later.

Wow, Maria's still so sad when it comes to her situation especially daughters being put through what she has.

Also, this episode felt like the most contrived of the season so far. Let's talk kids, so we'll throw babysitting at Christian and Maria or a possible pregnancy with Josh and Meghan, and Veeral/Ragini just fighting about babies in general.

Edited by beeblebrox
  • Love 1

Yeah, it did feel very contrived! And what cracked me up was that Christian's parents supplied them with the very best birth control available to young couples: screaming babies and toddlers! My first niece came along when I was about 20 (and living with my now-husband), and I absolutely loved spending time with her, and would often babysit about once a week so my SIL could have some free time. But it reinforced to me that I was nowhere near ready to take on being a parent. Christian's parents are stupid to want those 2 to start having babies when they have no home or income and are so very young and immature, and their plan to force them to babysit really backfired. 

• Love 1

Wow. The only couple that was on the same page was Maria and Christian.

Christian's father said that gypsies home school their kids. That explains the poor language skills.

Did anyone think that Ragini was interested in having children before marriage? That seemed to be the furthest thing from her mind. I think she was hoping that, with time, she would want to have kids, but seems to be realizing that motherhood may not be her cup of tea. Fasten your seatbelts.

Meghan and Josh had an "oopsie". I shudder to think about their primitive method of birth control. But it's in keeping with his simpleton mother's mind set. 

Did we need another definition of "southern belle"? Sweet tea. Being sweet. Popping out kids. I had to chuckle when Meghan told her two friends that they're talking about money so early into their marriage. What a clueless boob. 

• Love 4

I watched 4 episodes last nite. This show has to be fake, right? Christian seems to be reciting lines and his acting "upset" that Maria might have been gone was ridiculous. If it is all real, I am sure they have consummated b/c that is what they are "supposed" to do and they have done everything to this point that they are supposed to.

Josh and Megan are a wonderful reminder to me that what people post on FB and what you see on the surface is not the real person. I thought Josh was a handsome, smart guy, a catch for sure - before I was shown his house, the way he treated Meghan when she moved in, the fact his father still supports him (so not sexy), and the overall frat boy vibe. Nothing wrong with being a frat boy- if you are under the age of 22.

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention "birt". Wow, what ignorant people. I get the feeling that Maria would probably end up being like a sponge if she were ever allowed to get educated. I'll bet, given the chance, she would be a nerdy sort who would major in Math or Science.

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention "birt". Wow, what ignorant people. I get the feeling that Maria would probably end up being like a sponge if she were ever allowed to get educated. I'll bet, given the chance, she would be a nerdy sort who would major in Math or Science.

Probably...I hope she does, though. She seems like such a bright girl in a shitty situation. Like, if I were to know any of them in real life, Maria is the only one who I'd probably not abhor after the third word.

This episode seemed more scripted than the previous ones.

Seriously, did These couples, aside from Christian and Maria, not talk about when and if they were going to have kids? It's like when Josh's dad said he was cutting them off. I think he probably told them that a long time ago.

Nina must want a baby for herself. If the teenagers have a baby they are not living on their own yet. Grandma Nina will be helping because Christian certainly won't. And it broke my heart (again) that Maria said in her TH interview that Christian was still being mean to her.

It's a good thing Gypsy culture home school because can you imagine the hell that kid named Turkey would get if he went to real school?

• Love 2

Christian's father said that gypsies home school their kids. That explains the poor language skills.

Word! I was thankful for the insight why these Gypsy children presumably born in America would have such poor mastery over the English language.

Gypsies seem to do an awful lot of self-segregating from society at large. I wonder how much of that is actually due to attempts to preserve their culture and the old ways versus the prejudice they've historically faced at the hands of European societies over the centuries. 

It's a good thing Gypsy culture home school because can you imagine the hell that kid named Turkey would get if he went to real school?

Speaking of that kid Turkey, was anyone else floored when he opened his mouth? He was like six or seven but had a voice deeper than 90% of males who have been through puberty. I was wondering what hormonal imbalances that poor child might have. As if the unfortunate name wasn't enough.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wonder how much of that is actually due to attempts to preserve their culture and the old ways versus the prejudice they've historically faced at the hands of European societies over the centuries.

Anyone else watch a show on ID (I think) where a gypsy girl proudly talked about her "people's" criminal activity and how many of the women con old men from their money (it's their fault for being so naive)? One thing she said is that they will use the same names over and over again (if I remember correctly, they were all Anglo last names), thus making it difficult for law enforcement to catch up with them. The thing that struck me is I sensed that no, it wasn't just a matter of some bad apples here and there in the gypsy population, there was some serious organized activity going on in the ranks. I do not know how rampant the criminal activity is, what percentage of the gypsy population it affects, but this lady did nothing to contribute to positive views about their culture. 

Watching the Millers conduct their lives, I keep flashing back to this woman and wondering what their reaction would have been to the way this woman portrayed gypsies. They are a mysterious lot.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 2

On twitter.com/ChristianNMaria, he states:

Christian N Maria @ChristianNMaria  ·  May 12

Turkey's real name is Christopher.. He has the nickname turkey since he was a infant. I'm not sure why .. It is what it is

At least his real name is fine; he's just stuck with a demeaning nickname.

This show does a tremendous disservice to homeschooling. Most homeschooling families educate their children extremely well. This family . . . obviously not, at least to the extent of what we have seen and heard. The only obvious mastery of any subject shown is that the kids sure know how to play video games. Christian has not been taught to work (had never been on a ladder and told us he hadn't worked a  day in his life), he didn't know how to view a simple GPS in a car, and he hadn't even been to his local grocery store before (real homeschooling families (as well as you too probably!) really try to use the grocery store as a common, daily way to enforce simple math calculations and purchasing decisions for the better buy).

As well, the whole reason the family stated they wanted to be a part of this series was to uplift the perception of gypsies to the viewing audience. However, all we see is a very negative (even scary) insight into their lives. I wanted to love the Roma culture and learn more about them with this personal view, but this has only been a detriment to them instead.

• Love 2

Anyone else watch a show on ID (I think) where a gypsy girl proudly talked about her "people's" criminal activity and how many of the women con old men from their money (it's their fault for being so naive)? One thing she said is that they will use the same names over and over again (if I remember correctly, they were all Anglo last names), thus making it difficult for law enforcement to catch up with them. The thing that struck me is I sensed that no, it wasn't just a matter of some bad apples here and there in the gypsy population, there was some serious organized activity going on in the ranks. I do not know how rampant the criminal activity is, what percentage of the gypsy population it affects, but this lady did nothing to contribute to positive views about their culture. 

Watching the Millers conduct their lives, I keep flashing back to this woman and wondering what their reaction would have been to the way this woman portrayed gypsies. They are a mysterious lot.

Read "Hastened to the Grave" by Jack Olsen. He talks about that very thing.

And really-homeschool? Did you see a SINGLE BOOK in that house? I bet those kids can barely read and write. And the cousins dropped off the kids with no books or toys or videos? Sheesh.

• Love 1
(edited)

This show is so set up. When Maria left, Christian was acting so distraught..."Where is she?" He couldn't just, you know, texted her?

This show gets on my nerves for the very reason they don't know what "arranged" is. Meghan and Josh were never arranged to begin with. Second, they keep calling the wedding "arranged". It'll say on the screen, "2 days before arranged". No, it's 2 days before the wedding, they've already been arranged obviously if there's a wedding going on. 2 weeks after the wedding, "14 days since arranged". No it's noooooottt!

I did find an old Facebook of Christian's. He was a douchey 10 year old too.

Edited by ShaNaeNae
  • Love 3
(edited)

Thanks, Pep. I'm a reader.  I see that it's a mystery. Good.

I was afraid that my carefully-worded statements would be lambasted by someone accusing my of spreading hate....

Maybe this show should be called, "Marriages With Way Too Much Familial Input", Or "Married Into the Buttinsky Family". 

As for the name "Turkey", I assumed it was a nickname, and I don't think it's that much out of line with other nicknames I've known over the years.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 1

Christian and Maria are answering questions on their Twitter account. Christian's written response here was written so clearly--certainly not like he speaks--that I am a good bit dubious it is actually him writing this.  Maria, on the other hand, writes like she speaks. I'm very glad to hear that she does regularly see her family though.

twitter.com/ChristianNMaria/status/598551657715265536 - Answering a question about how often she sees her family, Maria answers "there's no time frame they live a couple hrs away so I see them 1 or twice a week -Maria"  And to concerns that Maria says she misses her family: "yah I understand but  there's no restriction or allowance I see them n they see me whenever we can it's whenever I want lol"

twitter.com/ChristianNMaria/status/598697466377203712  Christian says he did graduate from high school (not homeschool)  "Actually, I graduated High school. Gypsies allow their kids to go to school. Just wanted to clarify :)  Some Gypsies are home schooled, some aren't. We tend to home school our children after a certain age because we fear that they will fall in love with a non gypsy and we will lose our race. It's hard for non-gypsies to understand. Hopefully I clarified as much as possible. Thanks for watching :) remember to watch the next episode on Tuesday at 10:15ET"

twitter.com/ChristianNMaria/

Is it a cultural thing that nobody in that family smiles in photos?

I'd be surprised if Maria isn't pregnant already, since it's basically her job to follow everyone else's instructions. That couple makes me sad on so many levels.

• Love 1

Christian saying he tends to snap when children cry is a HUGE red flag. WTF? I really hope he isn't a father any time soon if he has serious anger management issues around babies. It must suck to be a Gypsy wife, expected to pop out babies ASAP. What if you are infertile? Are you then considered useless?