Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Girl Meets The New World

I thought this was the funniest episode so far. Lucas running away from Cory, everything with Maya and Farkle, and cute little Dewey and Topanga. I thought Lucas had so much character in this ep.

I don't think Topanga has changed at all. I kind of love that interacting with children hasn't changed her type A, always have to be right personality at all. Poor Doy lol.

• Love 3

I remember being just slightly terrified of Topanga. Watching this episode only confirmed that fear.

This show is so silly, but honestly, dating for me is still like this. It was so great when the waitress bought out one smoothie with two straws and hold them "it'll get harder."

This has been the funniest episode thus far. I think this show has finally finally found it's groove. (or I find awkward middle schoolers trying to date absolutely hilarious. one of the two.) 

• Love 2

I remember being just slightly terrified of Topanga. Watching this episode only confirmed that fear.

This show is so silly, but honestly, dating for me is still like this. It was so great when the waitress bought out one smoothie with two straws and hold them "it'll get harder."

This has been the funniest episode thus far. I think this show has finally finally found it's groove. (or I find awkward middle schoolers trying to date absolutely hilarious. one of the two.) 

Definitely. Cory wasn't over the top and everyone else wasn't either. It was nice :D. Continue it you guys!

• Love 2

Cory was right about the kid's name being what he wants to be called. Regardless of what someone's legal name is, if they say it's something else, that's what you use. Drawing Topanga into an argument with a 6 year old is a waste of her character. Also, didn't she speak to the kid's parents before the play date, and find all this out? I guess in this case it was Cory who did that, unless Auggie is in the habit of bringing other children home, without their parents knowing, but Topanga seems just controlling enough that she'd want to chat with the parents, and not leave it to Cory to work out.

I think I'm overthinking this.

• Love 3

Cory was right about the kid's name being what he wants to be called. Regardless of what someone's legal name is, if they say it's something else, that's what you use. Drawing Topanga into an argument with a 6 year old is a waste of her character. Also, didn't she speak to the kid's parents before the play date, and find all this out? I guess in this case it was Cory who did that, unless Auggie is in the habit of bringing other children home, without their parents knowing, but Topanga seems just controlling enough that she'd want to chat with the parents, and not leave it to Cory to work out.

I think I'm overthinking this.

I think it was set up where Auggie didn't want her to know but I could be wrong.

I have to say, for me this was a surprisingly good episode.

ALL of the plots worked.  

The Topanga/"Doy" subplot was great.  Funny, a really good use of Topanga, and yet also in a strange way kind of meaningful.  Even Auggie wasn't annoying in it (a real feat).  And Corey?  The show found a nice organic way to make him RIGHT about something rather than him always being wrong.

The Riley/Lucas plot was.... actually well done.  And this is a plot direction that I think we were all dreading, but they really did it decently.  I absolutely loved that we FINALLY got to see that other kids exist in that school, and that they actually know and interact with our core characters.  Even the tall blond girl and her "weird" boyfriend was a fun bit.

And even with a smaller than usual part, Sabrina Carpenter was still the VIP.  Just that line delivery alone trumps everyone else in the cast.

Most rewardingly the episode was FUNNY.

• Love 4

I've been really happy with this season so far.  Loved the part at the end were Riley talks sports.  Sounds exactly like a true sports fan should sound.

• Love 2

I've been really happy with this season so far.  Loved the part at the end were Riley talks sports.  Sounds exactly like a true sports fan should sound.

Great rant, but no way Cory would let Riley be a Knicks fan.  She would be a miserable Sixers fan.

At times I've questioned Rowan Blanchard's abilities (especially in contrast to Sabrina Carpetner's) but that scene was one where she did really well/proved herself.

Actually, overall I'd say Rowan's been far better this season, although the character of Riley herself still has some terrible aspects.

• Love 1

According to Twitter, Rowan Blanchard actually ad-libbed that whole speech on the spot!

• Love 7

I loved the awkwardness between Riley and Lucas. I've never thought Peyton was as bad of an actor as a lot of people seem to think. I just don't think his character has been fleshed out enough. The moment where he jumped across the desks to get out of the classroom was hilarious. Things like that show me potential in his acting ability if they'll give him more to do.

Hated the Topanga subplot. It was obvious the kid had a speech impediment. He's going to grow out of it. Instead, they've got a grown woman berating a little boy who clearly needs a speech pathologist. 

• Love 1

Hated the Topanga subplot. It was obvious the kid had a speech impediment. He's going to grow out of it. Instead, they've got a grown woman berating a little boy who clearly needs a speech pathologist. 

I think that plot was in big danger of backing into that/being perceived that way--which is its own problem (because it will offend people affected by real speech impediments).  What I think they MEANT to imply, and maybe missed doing completely clearly, was that the kid had no problems with the "W" sound (because he did in fact use it elsewhere), but somehow didn't want to apply it to his name for some weird emotional reason.  Using Corey's name the same way was, I suppose, meant to tip us off to that, since the sound being eliminated isn't even the same one.

It was simply the kid did not like his name.  I am in the camp that let a kid call themselves what they like with in reason. A kids name might mean something to the parents and they might have agonized over it, but it is still something that was chosen for the kid and the kid might not like it

• Love 3

Hated the Topanga subplot. It was obvious the kid had a speech impediment. He's going to grow out of it.

I didn't think for a minute the kid had a speech impediment. In fact, it didn't occur to me until I read this right here, and I still don't think that's what was going on.

It was simply the kid did not like his name. 

Yeah, this. For whatever reason, the kid doesn't like his actual name and decided to call himself something else. Since I've actually seen this happen more than a few times in real (and pretty recently, too) that's all I thought the storyline was about.

As for whether or not Topanga should've let it go, this is a comedy, and I thought the storyline was amusing. And, by the end of the ep, it was pretty clear the kid wasn't traumatized or anything by what was going on, so I didn't have a problem with it.

• Love 3

When I was listening to the kid talk, it sounded to me like he had other difficulties with similar letter sounds. I also just work with preschoolers and am used to hearing kids not being able to form different sounds when they're younger. 

• Love 2
(edited)

When I was listening to the kid talk, it sounded to me like he had other difficulties with similar letter sounds. I also just work with preschoolers and am used to hearing kids not being able to form different sounds when they're younger.

Okay, but remember that you are analyzing a fictional situation. I doubt they'd deliberately write and direct Topanga as making fun of a condition they specifically instructed a child actor to manifest in the complex way you've analyzed it. Ergo, that wasn't their intent and panning the character of Topanga for it has to take that at least a little bit into account--she's not intended to be making fun of a kid with a bonifide speech problem... its just coming off that way because presumably that was how it was easiest for the kid actor to act out the situation. Edited by Kromm

The Riley/Lucas plot was.... actually well done.  And this is a plot direction that I think we were all dreading, but they really did it decently.  I absolutely loved that we FINALLY got to see that other kids exist in that school, and that they actually know and interact with our core characters.  Even the tall blond girl and her "weird" boyfriend was a fun bit.

It was well done. The bit with the smoothie and the waitress was great. It reminded me of a G-rated version of the Degrassi episode where everybody wanted Ashley and Jimmy to have sex for their anniversary.

I just can't get over that Peyton is REALLY starting to look like he'd be more at home in a college than a middle school.

• Love 2

Rowan Blanchard has always been a Knicks fan, so that was her true feelings, and yeah, they shouldn't have traded away JR Smith.

They shouldn't have but this Cavs fan says Thanks Knicks!!

• Love 1

As for whether or not Topanga should've let it go, this is a comedy, and I thought the storyline was amusing.

It may not be the best use of Danielle Fishelle, but I love her interactions with Auggie's friends and that they become her archenmeses.

And, by the end of the ep, it was pretty clear the kid wasn't traumatized or anything by what was going on

Not only that, he was winning the battle.

AmandaPanda...totally agree with your posts. I have a disabled kid with severe apraxia (among other things) and it broke my heart the way Topanga treated him. I'm sure that it was intended differently, but it was hard to take it that way because of my personal experience. The look of fear on his face when Topanga wanted to talk to him - ! Really good! And the way Cory interacted with him was adorable.

And fist pump at the end when he tells Cory "I got this!"

I like Rowan. And I like Riley..but it also may be because that was ME in middle school!

Alright, late note about Dewey.  I was reading a book the other day that discussed Melville Dewey, the Dewey Decimal System guy.  Apparently he was really big into shorthand.  He permanently changed his first name from Melville to Melvil, and for a time, changed his last name to ... Dui!  So that might have been a subtle historical fact that the show was dropping on us.

On May 15, 2015 at 5:52 PM, AmandaPanda said:

That bothered me as well. I have dyspraxia of speech, and the /r/ sounds are something I still struggle with. For me, what Topanga was doing to that little boy brought back bad childhood memories.