Type keyword(s) to search

The Catch-all, a place for Legends of, Specials and one-offs

• Start Topic

So it seems that when they filmed the TH/interviews for this special, last summer by the looks of it, Jake was still on meth getting high and stealing from his Dads old place. Such a shame, but he needs to get clean, face his demons and get back to life, not hide from it. For Sig to say he was wrong to allow Jake to wallow says a lot IMO. Josh looks like he is trying and willing to do the hard work to Captain the boat. It was nice to see Phil's Dad show support for Josh.

I loved seeing how the 3 different families came to fishing, their childhoods and their families. I hope they do this with the other Captains as well.

• Love 2

As I suspected, the show tonight was just a rehash of previous specials on the Time Bandit and Northwestern, and recent Cornelia Marie stuff, with a few "extra" snippets.  I still enjoyed it, though.  :-)

Phil's Dad was a legendary captain in his own right, I think.  I remember Phil telling the story about his Dad's boat being caught in a typhoon, and it was assumed he was lost at sea.  The Coast Guard had called off the search, and on the 8th day Grant Harris limped back into harbor.  His wheelhouse had been nearly destroyed - all navigation stuff was knocked out, and I guess he found his way home by the stars.  I wish they'd repeated that story - it was a good one.

• Love 2
(edited)

Jake has been clean and sober since last September. He completed  rehab and sober living. He was not addicted to meth, it was heroin.  I think Jake's abuse, in addition to be obviously inhert. from Phil, is also related to his physicaly abusive childhood.  Phil was a poor excuse of a father who did nothing to help Jake when he was being abused.  Jake was raised by two addicts, in an addictive household and knew no other lifestyle. People should not be so judgemental unless they have lived through the abusive childhood he did.  He is a product of the environment he was raised in.

I enjoyed watching the special again but it made me angry to see how Phil did nothing to protect his kids.

It was nice to see Josh with his grandfather and see him on the CM.  The story about Grant Harris was in the book on Phil.  It was an amazing story. He was a great captain who brought his boat home with all crew members safe and sound.

Edited by NEGirl

As I suspected, the show tonight was just a rehash of previous specials on the Time Bandit and Northwestern, and recent Cornelia Marie stuff, with a few "extra" snippets.  I still enjoyed it, though.  :-)

Phil's Dad was a legendary captain in his own right, I think.  I remember Phil telling the story about his Dad's boat being caught in a typhoon, and it was assumed he was lost at sea.  The Coast Guard had called off the search, and on the 8th day Grant Harris limped back into harbor.  His wheelhouse had been nearly destroyed - all navigation stuff was knocked out, and I guess he found his way home by the stars.  I wish they'd repeated that story - it was a good one.

To see the family stories as a cohesive show was much nicer than getting snippets of it during the regular episodes. There really is a rich history/legacy with all 3 families.

Jake has been clean and sober since last September. He completed  rehab and sober living. He was not addicted to meth, it was heroin.  I think Jake's abuse, in addition to be obviously inhert. from Phil, is also related to his physicaly abusive childhood.  Phil was a poor excuse of a father who did nothing to help Jake when he was being abused.  Jake was raised by two addicts, in an addictive household and knew no other lifestyle. People should not be so judgemental unless they have lived through the abusive childhood he did.  He is a product of the environment he was raised in.

I enjoyed watching the special again but it made me angry to see how Phil did nothing to protect his kids.

It was nice to see Josh with his grandfather and see him on the CM.  The story about Grant Harris was in the book on Phil.  It was an amazing story. He was a great captain who brought his boat home with all crew members safe and sound.

His face looked like a meth face, although heroine can do that too. I am glad to hear he cleaned up, the interviews were done in the summer so right before he went into rehab. I wonder if stealing from his fathers house did the trick and made him wake up?

I read that book and I agree, those kids had it bad, really bad but Jake did not go through it alone, Josh got it, to a slightly lesser extent, as well. I hope that Jake no longer allows the demons to rule his life.

• Love 2

I am glad to hear he cleaned up, the interviews were done in the summer so right before he went into rehab. I wonder if stealing from his fathers house did the trick and made him wake up?

I'm glad Jake has cleaned up too, but this show is airing 8 months after he cleaned up. Disco has had plenty of time to add additional interviews of Josh saying that Jake has completed rehab and he can't wait for him to rejoin him on the CM. They don't need to continue airing the interview of Jon Hillstrand begging Jake to clean up. It is just strange that Disco is continuing to throw him under the drug bus instead of completing the redemption arc, like they are trying to do for Josh, especially now that we are hearing the full story of abuse and neglect at the hands of Phil and his ex-wife.

I had not seen the Time Bandit story before, so that was a nice little catch-up hour for me.

• Love 1

Galloway Cave - I think disco has long favored Josh because he loves the camera and is not shy and quite like Jake seems to be.  Disco has been giving Jake shitty treatment since Josh entered the picture.

I remember reading in the book "Deadliest Sea"(or something like that, I forgot the name of the book)  where Jake said he hated the cameras and the constant attention. I hope if he does come back to the CM, he refuses to be filmed.

Galloway Cave - I think disco has long favored Josh because he loves the camera and is not shy and quite like Jake seems to be.  Disco has been giving Jake shitty treatment since Josh entered the picture.

I remember reading in the book "Deadliest Sea"(or something like that, I forgot the name of the book)  where Jake said he hated the cameras and the constant attention. I hope if he does come back to the CM, he refuses to be filmed.

I don't know, Jake didn't hate the cameras when he joined the show. He was just as much a ham as the rest of them. Maybe he started to hate the cameras when he could no longer hide his drug addiction on the boat/camera, I am sure that would be hard to see of yourself.

Weird, I always thought Jake got the favorable edit when Josh joined the show, he most certainly did with his father. Phil treated the boys differently, IMO, he favored Jake over Josh.

• Love 3

Gallowway Cave- that book came out in 2008-long before Jake had the drug issues. I think Phil favored Jake due to the physical abuse he suffered as a kid. Josh said on the CM special Jake got the worst of it.

Phil spoiled the both of them.

Gallowway Cave- that book came out in 2008-long before Jake had the drug issues. I think Phil favored Jake due to the physical abuse he suffered as a kid. Josh said on the CM special Jake got the worst of it.

Phil spoiled the both of them.

I always felt that Phil showed Jake more attention and gave him more praise. In fact, I remember him telling Jake that he felt Jake would be a captain, not Josh.

Does Jake even have anything to do with the CM? They lost their ownership and Josh, with partners, had to buy it back from what he said on last nights show. Was/is Jake 1 of the partners because I just don't see anyone loaning him money if he was still using when they bought it back, which I believe he was, or was Josh including him despite his on going addictions at the time?

Not to be rude but I am curious, how do you know all this info about Jake? Do you personally know him?

• Love 1

I think Phil favored Jake because Jake was there to be a fisherman, Josh is there for the cameras.

As for Disco, of course, they are going to go with the golden boy story of the kid wiling to be in camera.    Jake doesn't want to be on camera, so its easy to throw him under the bus.    Jake might have become an addict anyway, but the fame and adultation for his slightest breath sure didn't help him comprehend consequences and to think anything bad would happen.    I hope he stays off the camera so the pressure and echo chamber stay off him.

I think Phil favored Jake because Jake was there to be a fisherman, Josh is there for the cameras.

As for Disco, of course, they are going to go with the golden boy story of the kid wiling to be in camera.    Jake doesn't want to be on camera, so its easy to throw him under the bus.    Jake might have become an addict anyway, but the fame and adultation for his slightest breath sure didn't help him comprehend consequences and to think anything bad would happen.    I hope he stays off the camera so the pressure and echo chamber stay off him.

I do not understand this accusation that Josh is only there for the cameras, he worked on that boat before there were cameras on it, so what makes some say this? I don't see him anymore of a famewhore than any other guy shown on DC, Jake included. Again, Jake may have said he did not like the cameras but he seemed to have no problem being filmed and getting paid for it. He could have gone on another boat that was not on DC if it bothered him that much but he did not. Jake says 1 thing but then has no problem doing the opposite.

IMO, Jake was using drugs long before he admitted to it, even before he started on the show but it got out of control and he could no longer hide it. I am glad if he is now clean and hope he stays clean but this poor Jake, famewhore Josh feeling I am seeing/reading is confusing to me as I do not see either brother that way. It comes across to me, just me (and I am not saying that is what you mean to do), as if to build Jake up, support him, some feel the need to tear his brother down and I find that disturbing. JMO

• Love 1
(edited)

Jake fished on the CM before there were cameras. Josh came aboard the CM  the year after there were cameras.  From what I have read, none of the deck hands are paid by disco. The money goes to the captain/owner of the boat, which from what I have read, covers the fuel expenses which are huge.

Why should Jake have had to leave the CM? He never saw his father for 11 months of the year growing up and wanted to finally be able to spend time with him. I would guess Phil did not consult with a 19 year-old  Jake about cameras on board.

Jake is part owner of the CM. A coulple of weeks ago Josh did a live "DC Chat" and stated Jake is part owner. The Harris brother own 75% and Casey McManus owns 25%, which was stated in the live chat.

People feel if Josh wants to be a true captain he should be spending more time on the boat to learn how to run a boat. Josh has repeatly left the boat to Casey to run as soon as the camera stops filming. Last year in a DC Chat Casey  said he spends 6 months on the boat to Josh's 50-60 days.  The other captains have all stated numerous times  that Josh needs to spend as much time as possible on the boat to learn how to be a captain. That is what people are referring to. I don't think anyone hates Josh. I wish the best for him but feel he needs to step up and become more involved if he wants to be a captain and not "captain in training".

Edited by NEGirl

Jake fished on the CM before there were cameras. Josh came aboard the CM  the year after there were cameras.  From what I have read, none of the deck hands are paid by disco. The money goes to the captain/owner of the boat, which from what I have read, covers the fuel expenses which are huge.

Why should Jake have had to leave the CM? He never saw his father for 11 months of the year growing up and wanted to finally be able to spend time with him. I would guess Phil did not consult with a 19 year-old  Jake about cameras on board.

Jake is part owner of the CM. A coulple of weeks ago Josh did a live "DC Chat" and stated Jake is part owner. The Harris brother own 75% and Casey McManus owns 25%, which was stated in the live chat.

People feel if Josh wants to be a true captain he should be spending more time on the boat to learn how to run a boat. Josh has repeatly left the boat to Casey to run as soon as the camera stops filming. Last year in a DC Chat Casey  said he spends 6 months on the boat to Josh's 50-60 days.  The other captains have all stated numerous times  that Josh needs to spend as much time as possible on the boat to learn how to be a captain. That is what people are referring to. I don't think anyone hates Josh. I wish the best for him but feel he needs to step up and become more involved if he wants to be a captain and not "captain in training".

Josh worked that boat every summer just like Jake did and Jake was not on the boat when the cameras were first there either. Does anyone know where Josh and Jake were at the beginning of the show because both were MIA. Just like Scotty H, TB, Jake joined the show a couple of seasons in, not at the beginning. I also doubt that the deckhands are not paid as they are on camera more than the captains are. I am sure all the boat owners, not all the captains own the boat we see them on, get big money but there is no doubt that every person, deckhand/captain, get paid as well.

As for Josh not being on the boat, he has had to deal with everything concerning his fathers estate, I am sure that took up a chunk of his time, he had to also deal with what was going on with Jake, find money/loans to buy back then run the boat, earn money to live/pay personal bills and find some time to mourn himself. Letting a trusted captain take the helm in the beginning would be smarter IMO, than letting everything else go to hell in a hand basket. Oh, and IMO, there may be some sour grapes going on with Casey, he only owns 25% against the brothers controlling 75%.

I find it sad that some judge Josh so harshly, that is how it comes across here, because he is one doing whatever it takes to keep the boat fishing, not Jake IMO. I think Jake needs to GTHU and start handling his responsibilities when it comes to the CM and his brother.  JMO 

(edited)

Sorry but you are mistaken.  Jake was not MIA as you state.  Jake fished on the CM before the boat was on DC.  He began fishing right after he graduated from high school in 2004.  Numerous people on this site can verify that.  Josh fished once in 2001, hated it, and did not fish on the boat again until the year after the cameras were on the boat. This was all in both books. And, deckhands do not get paid, it has been stated in mumerous interviews with deckhands and captains in years past. Look it up if you doubt it.

Also, do you really think Josh did all of the purchasing of the CM by himself. He had attorneys, accountants and other business people to handle that stuff. He did not even graduate from high school(also in both books), so was certainly not capable of handling the commplex legal/business  decisions needed to purchase the boat.  That would also apply to the handling of Phil's estate - Phil had an attorney who handled all his legal stuff - also in the book.  The attorney in fact was interviewed for the book. 

Do you think Josh babysits Jake?  Josh stated in the CM special he had not seen or talked to Jake in weeks.

Casy having sour grapes  - are you kidding? He could run circles around Josh.  Josh was  fired from the TB due to his poor work ethic. Go back and watch old shows where John and Andy are interviewed. People at this site can also verify this.

Josh spends most of his time partying -  he has posted pictures for years all over his FB account unitl he deleted them all in January.  He has been known as a big time partyer for years.  Why do you think all the other captains have been so critical of Josh? They know that he can talk the talk but not put in all the time to run the boat.

The only captain who does not own their boat on the show is Wild Bill. This has been stated numerous times on The Bait. 

Yes, Josh did get the boat back, and good for him.  I am happy for him that he was able to fullfill his dream to get the boat. But, he did not do it by himself like he leads everyone to believe.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sorry but you are mistaken.  Jake was not MIA as you state.  Jake fished on the CM before the boat was on DC.  He began fishing right after he graduated from high school in 2004.  Numerous people on this site can verify that.  Josh fished once in 2001, hated it, and did not fish on the boat again until the year after the cameras were on the boat. This was all in both books. And, deckhands do not get paid, it has been stated in mumerous interviews with deckhands and captains in years past. Look it up if you doubt it.

Also, do you really think Josh did all of the purchasing of the CM by himself. He had attorneys, accountants and other business people to handle that stuff. He did not even graduate from high school(also in both books), so was certainly not capable of handling the commplex legal/business  decisions needed to purchase the boat.  That would also apply to the handling of Phil's estate - Phil had an attorney who handled all his legal stuff - also in the book.  The attorney in fact was interviewed for the book. 

Do you think Josh babysits Jake?  Josh stated in the CM special he had not seen or talked to Jake in weeks.

Casy having sour grapes  - are you kidding? He could run circles around Josh.  Josh was  fired from the TB due to his poor work ethic. Go back and watch old shows where John and Andy are interviewed. People at this site can also verify this.

Josh spends most of his time partying -  he has posted pictures for years all over his FB account unitl he deleted them all in January.  He has been known as a big time partyer for years.  Why do you think all the other captains have been so critical of Josh? They know that he can talk the talk but not put in all the time to run the boat.

The only captain who does not own their boat on the show is Wild Bill. This has been stated numerous times on The Bait. 

Yes, Josh did get the boat back, and good for him.  I am happy for him that he was able to fullfill his dream to get the boat. But, he did not do it by himself like he leads everyone to believe.

Well, I went back and checked, we are both right. I was correct that Jake was not on the show season 1 but neither was the CM and Phil. Phil/Cm joined in season 2. I will try to see if Jake was on board during season 2 because I do not remember seeing him until season 3, Josh in season 4. Also, both brothers worked the boat during the summer, both of them.  I don't fault Josh looking to see if there was something else out there for him like Scotty H did.

Obviously, both brothers partied hard but Jake became an addict and risked others lives working on the boat high. IMO, he was doing that longer than we saw.

As for Josh getting help to secure the loans needed, that goes without saying, especially on something that expensive. BUT, it says a lot, IMO, that he was able to secure those loans. I highly doubt that anyone would ever lend Jake that kind of money in the condition he was in at that time. I doubt they would lend him it now, his sobriety is still new and he has to earn back the trust he threw away. Oh, and I do not recall Josh saying he got the money to buy back the boat without any help nor was that the impression he gave me when he briefly spoke about it.

I have no doubts that Phil had an attorney take charge of his will but normally at least 1 family member is involved as well. Jake was high all the time so that left either Josh and or Phil's dad. I never said that Josh "babysat" Jake but Josh was seen trying to get through to Jake several times on the show after Jake came clean about being an addict, he did try to be there for his brother and we have no way to know if Josh ignored Jake or if it was the other way around. Most addicts do not want to be around family or non addicts because they don't want to hear how they are FKing up their lives. Why is it ok for Jake to drop off the face of the earth getting high but not for Josh to get wild dealing with the same demons. Make no mistake, both brothers were abused/neglected, yes to varying degrees, but both got it big time.

I have never heard Josh say that he was/is an angel or that he is perfect. He says he messed up and because of that he lost the boat, I didn't hear him blame anyone else. I have also heard Sig be critical of Jake, as well as John/Andy. Phil waited too long to teach his sons about fishing and running a boat and most importantly, being a responsible adult overall. Phil may have been a top captain but he was a horrid father and set a horrid example for his sons as a man.

When this show started there were different boats featured on it, Sig and Keith are the only ones remaining from season 1. There have been a total of 29 - 30 boats seen on the show in the time it has been on.

Edited by WireWrap
(edited)

Jake was on DC  for the second season, which was the first year the CM was on the show. The CM was a chase boat the first year and was shown during the rescue efforts for the Big Valley. The Wizard was not on the show until I believe the third season. The wikipedia site gives the names of all the boats and the years they were on the show.  Years ago you could see the old shows on the DC website and you tube. I don't know if you can now though.

I don't doubt that Josh has tried to help Jake. However, whenever it was shown on tv he was always screaming and yelling at him. No addict will listen to that. Your correct, we do not know what Josh did or did not do. I may have taken it wrong, but you made it sound like Josh had no help in securing or managing the boat. However, he makes it sound that way too. I never said only Jake worked the boat in the summer. I know they both did. I was only refering to Jake being on the boat the year before the CM came on the show and Jake being on the boat before Josh. I only mentioned Phil's attorney because you impiled Josh handled everything himself.

I never said Josh said he was perfect. I said disco makes it seem that he is.

I personally don't care if Josh parties-he can do whatever he wants. I mentioned the partying because you seemed to imply Josh's life revolves around the boat 24/7, which it doesn't. Both boys had horrible childhoods. Josh said Jake suffered the worst of the physical abuse. Phil was a poor excuse of a father who never did anything to help his kids when he knew they were being abused. He never gave them any sense of direction or guidance. They are both wild because life was a party for Phil and thats all they knew . I never said it was ok for Jake to drop off the face of the earth getting high. His addiction was a sad waste of many years and was obsviously inhert. from Phil.  Phil waited too long to teach his kids anything. The teaching should have been done when they were children, as should the bonding have been done then too. Phil was too busy trying to make up for lost time and did not think about teaching them anything about running a boat until it was too late. Sig said the same thing in the CM special. Your right, Phild was a terrible father and set a terrible example for both his sons. They are the product of Phil's mistakes.

Edited by NEGirl

Jake was on DC  for the second season, which was the first year the CM was on the show. The CM was a chase boat the first year and was shown during the rescue efforts for the Big Valley. The Wizard was not on the show until I believe the third season. The wikipedia site gives the names of all the boats and the years they were on the show.  Years ago you could see the old shows on the DC website and you tube. I don't know if you can now though.

I don't doubt that Josh has tried to help Jake. However, whenever it was shown on tv he was always screaming and yelling at him. No addict will listen to that. Your correct, we do not know what Josh did or did not do. I may have taken it wrong, but you made it sound like Josh had no help in securing or managing the boat. However, he makes it sound that way too. I never said only Jake worked the boat in the summer. I know they both did. I was only refering to Jake being on the boat the year before the CM came on the show and Jake being on the boat before Josh. I only mentioned Phil's attorney because you impiled Josh handled everything himself.

I never said Josh said he was perfect. I said disco makes it seem that he is.

I personally don't care if Josh parties-he can do whatever he wants. I mentioned the partying because you seemed to imply Josh's life revolves and the boat 24/7, which it doesn't. Both boys had horrible childhoods. Josh said Jake suffered the worst of the physical abuse. Phil was a poor excuse of a father who never did anything to help his kids when he knew they were being abused. He never gave them any sense of direction or guidance. They are both wild because life was a party for Phil and thats all they knew . I never said it was ok for Jake to drop off the face of the earth getting high. His addiction was a sad waste of many years and was obsviously inhert. from Phil.  Phil waited too long to teach his kids anything. The teaching should have been done when they were children, as should the bonding have been done then too. Phil was too busy trying to make up for lost time and did not think about teaching them anything about running a boat until it was too late. Sig said the same thing in the CM special. Your right, Phild was a terrible father and set a terrible example for both his sons. They are the product of Phil's mistakes.

I questioned you and others because I did not understand the anger shown Josh but not Jake because, IMO, they both messed up big time. I don't know that production loves/favors Josh more than Jake because I saw more heart to heart times between Phil and Jake shown than between Phil and Josh. As for right before and then after Phil died, Jake was such a mess and he put peoples lives at risk getting high on the boats so I will not blame production for showing him in a bad light, it was the light Jake himself chose to stand under. And they did show John/Andy getting mad at Josh, on camera, so no one was protecting him anymore than Jake.

When people get angry, scared, hurt, it is not uncommon for them to them scream at the person they are angry at, especially if they are afraid for that persons life.   Josh had just lost his father as well, not just Jake. I am sure that Josh would have loved support from his brother but Jake only wanted to get high and there is always the fear the next high could be his last high, death. They had just lost Phil and I am sure Josh was thinking he could/would bury his brother next, their emotion both times were raw and very real IMO.

My comment about Josh getting the loans alone was because Jake was MIA/high and did nothing to help, it goes without saying that he had professional help/advice.

Oh, and I did watch season 1 episode 1 tonight and Keith/Wizard was listed as 1 of the captains/boats on the show. I don't think he was on season 2 though because he hated the cameras and crew more than the rest of the fleet. The shows are still on You tube.

We like to vacation in Alaska whenever possible.  On one of our trips, I had the chance to talk with someone who works for the Hillstrand brothers.  She told me that the first year, only the captains/boat owners were paid by Disco.  Nobody thought the series would go beyond the first year.

When it became a hit, Disco came around to get them to sign a new contract.  The Hillstrands and Sig Hansen said they would only allow filming if each crew member was paid, in addition to the captain/boat owners.  So I don't know about any of the others, but crew members on the Time Bandit and the Northwestern are paid for being on the show.

And I spoke with someone else (formerly on the CM) who had nothing good to say about Josh Harris as far as his ability or desire to fish for crab.  He said that Josh just wants the money and the fame . . . but not for fishing, for being on TV.

• Love 5

Watching the Bait show....it's goofy. Watching these guys recreate The View is just cringe-worthy.

"Look who's in the green room, wowzers! Back to you, Sig!"

"Thanks Jake! Now, everybody look under their chairs...it's a CRAB! YOU get a crab! YOU get a crab! Wheeee!"

• Love 2

Just re-watched the Legend of the Northwestern.   One thing really stood out about the Hansens versus the rest of the boat families -- stability.   It's just not on deck.   Sperry was married to the same woman until his death.   When he came home from sea, he wasn't abusive to his boys.   Tough sure, but they were loved and knew it.   They weren't abused by their mom while he was at sea.   I'm sure Mrs. Hansen had her hands full with those boys, but she did with love.  Sure they aren't perfect, but they are no more messed up than most families.   

The Hillstrands boys father fucked with those boys right and left.   Jonathan and Andy are so close because they didn't have anybody else.   And the Harris boys went through hell with an absentee father and an abusive step mom.   

Having a solid family I think translates to less drama on the boat.  

• Love 3

I thought the Sig Hansen Legacy episode was very well structured.  As far as I can tell, there was no on-camera lecturing, no pushing, none of that.  Just a continuing demonstration that his recovery will start and end with him, from the doctor saying that he was clearly still smoking, to the flashback of Edgar saying SIg would die in the captain's chair (which at the time certainly resonated, and if they'd been further out instead of an hour or so from Dutch Harbor, he would have died), to Jake coming to make peace (however staged it might have been in the setup, it is something you do when someone you love/like/have affection for damn near dies).  Keith and Jonathan both had sober assessments (and Sig & Jonathan missing their youth was funny and also rings true).  

The most effective parts of the intervention for me were thirdly Edgar overseeing the overhaul, getting things done, explaining that repairs were being prioritized (bow & engineering room first), and generally making his point without making an argument - Edgar and Norman also had a shock, and probably as well flashbacks to their father's death).  Secondly the DC producer cuing up the footage of the heart attack.  That was hard to watch in the audience even knowing it was coming.  To watch what happened to you, comparing it to how you remember it happening (which would have been distorted by pain and the self-edit of memory that we all do), and see what you really did, including the denial until the pain became too much, is at the very least a psychological gut-check.  Finally, the sit-down with Sean, whom I still don't think Sig knows that well, but who can speak with great clarity about the loss of a father even when that loss wasn't a lifestyle "choice" - all of these things were relentless counterpoints to i-am-a-fisherman-it's-what-i-do-it's-what-i-want-and-smoking-is-hard-to-quit-and-multiple-prescriptions-are-a-drag, and in the three months this show covered he did seem to get past the anger and move on to dealing with what is.

And of course there is that final sequence - his family updating that ring that belonged to his great-grandfather the way he'd always talked about doing it but never found the time - it got dusty here.

He has a lot to live for - a strong marriage, beautiful daughters, his larger family, a thriving business ($200K repairs are probably not that unusual for ships, still, ouch).  He also, because it has essentially been a one-man operation with family and friends on staff, made it a business that will probably have to be sold as there doesn't seem to be anyone to take it over: Jake is gone and I don't see him coming back, Edgar seems to no longer want it (I think he'd probably do it for a year or so, but he has other interests now), Norman ain't ever going to want it, Mandy will be over-qualified (although I think she'd be willing to keep the business in the family if they could find a captain) and also I think that while Mandy could captain a fishing boat in most cases, crab-fishing is indeed a really physically difficult thing to, and something most men (let alone women) cannot manage.

Whatever Sig chooses to do (and for his health I seriously hope he sits this next season out), the Northwestern is going to be having some changes made.

Twelve years, changes do come.  I like the Hansens, I like Jonathan and Keith, I root for Jake (although I think he will be among the last of the old-style captains), and I like verging on adore Sean (who I think is among the best of the new-style captains).

• Love 5

I got to thinking after it was over, that for a guy who would probably walk out if he came in to an intervention, framing one as an episode certainly did the same thing.  It certainly seemed to me, that Sig was starting to seriously think about things by the end, instead of going with the knee jerk response of "don't tell me what to do."

• Love 4

Most people don't get the opportunity to actually see themselves.  Sig saw himself having the heart attack, and he saw himself in denial. He even said that he knew he was stubborn, but didn't realize how stupid he was.  I think Sig seeing that really made him think.

What shocked me was finding out that Sig is only 50; I thought he was older.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

Apparently, the show has been renewed.  It'll be interesting to see which vessels are back.  Will Sig come back to the Northwestern?  Will they dump the Cornelia Marie?  I do like Casey but I've grown tired of Josh.  I hope the Brenna A is back because Sean Dwyer was refreshing.  I really don't care about Jake Anderson.  Jon said that Andy was coming back to being on the boat.  I know many people don't like Andy but his and Jon's dynamic was interesting. 

The series tired and they need to further pump new life into it. 

• Love 1

The Cornelia Marie won't be on season 13. From a statement made by Josh:

...I am here today to set things straight in regards to the filming of Season 13 of Deadliest Catch. The Cornelia Marie and her crew are making their way out to the fishing grounds today. We do not have a camera crew aboard this king crab season. This was not our decision, and it was not made by the owners nor the captains of the Cornelia. This was not a dispute over money, this was simply a decision made by production Discovery. They have creative control over pretty much everything that airs on Deadliest Catch, and we respect that...

And I know this is going to come as a real shock to most people, but Josh is not part of that crew making their way out to the fishing grounds! He says he had some family business he had to attend to.

You can read/watch the full statement here:

http://starcasm.net/archives/359234

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Stampiron said:

And I know this is going to come as a real shock to most people, but Josh is not part of that crew making their way out to the fishing grounds! He says he had some family business he had to attend to.

Interesting, there goes one of my biggest cripes. Really enjoyed some of the posted comments, lots more Josh fans than I thought, or at least some of his fans are pretty vocal. How many think the appearance of the new kid finally gave Discovery the story they wanted from the Harris brothers all along.

7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

As I've always believed . . . Josh is not a crab fisherman.  Josh is a reality TV "star."  No cameras means no reason for Josh to be on the ship.

Yep, as many of us thought, no cameras no Josh. Casey is probably glad to have the camera crew and Josh gone, and he seemed to be increasingly tired of being shown as mentoring Josh instead of working at his actual job.

• Love 4

DIsco finally realized that Josh the Captain was not going to happen.    They realized that cramming him down our throats was turning off viewers.   Good for them realizing it.   Much rather watch Seanie Poo and his mom than Josh mugging for the cameras.   

• Love 3

Great news!  The Bait instantly has become more watchable, too.

I feel for the CM investors who now lose the massive subsidy they enjoyed last year.  Same for the crew.  Quota anyone?  They must have been made to pay a hefty premium.   Did they count on the Disco money when they bid?

Even if Josh now wants to sell his share, he will get much, much, less.  Yay!

10 hours ago, Stampiron said:

Well, at least he took what seemingly looks like the high road.  For now.

I will miss Casey.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Well, at least he took what seemingly looks like the high road.  For now.

That's because in the script Josh wrote for his role as a reality "star," he's supposed to look like he's taking the high road.  Besides, he probably thinks it's his only chance of ever being hired back by Disco.  I'm hoping that he's wrong.  I hope there's NO chance.  I will enjoy the season a lot more with no Josh and more Sean.

• Love 4

Hi  all,  I have been away from this site for awhile.  Hope everyone is well.   I just wanted to give my 2cents on Josh and Discovery.  Disco dose not need Josh anymore. They have Sean who has the same "heir" story line. He is more mature and  can captain his boat without being babysat by someone.  The show has become very boring and they had to make some change as the ratings were down.  They will have to do a lot more to keep people watching.  I like Casey and will miss him. I would guess he is under a lot of pressure with the new owners as both he and Josh are now minority owners. I'm sure they miss that money that disco gives them as it apparently pays for all their fuel. 

I saw on Josh's FB page when he made the announcement that he stated he left the boat as his grandfather(Grant Harris) was in the hospital due to some kind of medical problem. He stated they would keep fishing whether they are on tv or not. He also indicted he was working on something down the road. Sounds like he is trying to get his own show like he did three years ago when disco did not film the CM in Oct. 2013.  I know from reading the DC FB page that a lot of people were bitching about Josh and how lazy he was. It will be interesting to see what they do with Jake Anderson as a lot of people also complained about him. 

I"m  sure Josh is not happy about being dropped. But crab fishing is the only job he can do and make the money he dose. He has a kid to support and at 33 years-old, he is not a kid anymore. Disco can always pick him up for opies like they did three years ago, but I don't see that happening.  It will be interesting to see where he winds up.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 5

Yeah, I did wonder by that statement (and the apparent gracious tone of it) was a way of him possibly keeping the door open for Disco to come calling to film the CM for opie season.  Not that I will miss Josh at all, but I did miss Casey.  He seemed like a no nonsense guy who actually did know what he was doing out there. 

Sean really impressed me.  And so did his mom.  :)   Pretty sure they will be back.  Jake Anderson?  It could go either way.  I kinda liked him, warts and all.  But I can also see where the outbursts and several bouts of whining could be turning off some viewers.  What about Sig?  Given what happened with him, I can easily see him dialing back his fishing activities.  Regardless of that, I really hope he is in good health these days.  And that he finally gives up smoking! 

Keith was a mess, especially early on.  Hopefully he is doing better these days too.  I run hot and cold with him.  But generally I think he's a decent guy who seems to be mellowing a bit of late.  Am hoping perhaps Monte gets a chance to run the boat more often.

Time Bandit crew also has run hot/cold with me in the past.  But I am liking them better lately as well.  What was the story with Captain Andy?  Will he be back at all next season? 

At times it did seem it was more boring than in previous seasons.  Still, I like the show.  And will most likely continue watching.  It is a very tough job being on a crab boat.  And seeing them fish in all kinds of nasty weather and sea conditions still makes for a compelling show for me.

• Love 4

I read somewhere that Andy will be back at least for opies this season. It said on the Time Bandit website that Andy took over the co-op and that's why he wasn't around the past couple of seasons.

The King Crab season this year is apparently going to be very short. Quotas were cut by 15% but the fishing was reportedly excellent, with the fleet catching 2/3 of it's quota in less than 2 weeks.

http://kucb.org/post/red-king-crab-fishery-starts-strong-despite-low-stock-assessment

Also, I read one report that Sig is captaining the Northwestern for King season. 

• Love 4

I just saw that Jake Harris has been beaten nearly to death and is in the ICU.  I've hated hearing about his downward spiral.  The last update I saw (it might have been a year or more ago) the Hillstrands' were saying that when they had seen him last he has sores all over his face.  I believe they showed a picture. I don't know if this was drug related or not, but either way he did not deserve this.  Prayers and good vibes out to him. 

• Love 6

I saw in the Seattle Times that Jake was leaving a casino when he was approached by the two people. He was beaten, robbed and thrown from a moving car onto a local highway. He suffered a fractured skull, bleeding on the brain and other injuries. He is in the ICU.  Josh said Jake could not talk but was able to identify the two people via pictures. The police have active warrants out for them and have been looking for the two for attacks on other people.  So sad, poor Jake. Hope they catch the people soon.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 7

Seattle TimesEstranged daughter sues ‘Deadliest Catch’ star Sig Hansen, alleging she was molested as a child

Daily MailLawyer daughter, 28, of Deadliest Catch star Sig Hansen claims he molested her when she was two years old

Note: The daughter who is suing is Melissa Eckstrom, a Seattle attorney who is Sig's daughter from his first marriage. The Seattle Times article said that Sig adopted Nina and Mandy after he married June in 2001 (I did not know that! I always thought Mandy looked like Sig.)

"Hansen claims Eckstrom’s lawsuit is simply her family’s latest attempt to extort a big payout by threatening to spread the false claims. In 2010, Eckstrom contacted her estranged father to seek his financial help to pay for her law school, and Hansen hired a mediator to conduct “reunification sessions” with her, records show.

But the reconciliation disintegrated after Eckstrom and her mother threatened to “go to the media” if Hansen didn’t pay his daughter $300,000, he said. Eckstrom later told the mediator she planned to write a tell-all book."

• Love 2

I read those articles yesterday, and started to post here.  But I'm so saddened by the allegations that I just couldn't.  I  hadn't read about the mediator and the alleged extortion.  I hope the allegations are untrue.  

• Love 1