Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, BaseOps said:

In what world is Grey's on borrowed time? 

In the world where storyline content is running thin: being recycled and/or dragged out.  

Good for the show for continuing to perform well in ratings, but just because it could stay on for many more years doesn't mean it should. Money over quality. 

59 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

I've seen the first episode of the firefighter spin-off... Meredith and Bailey both appear. There's a thread already in the pilot that will likely be what continues to intertwine the shows (beyond just Ben).

Has the show got a name yet? Just wondering if a board has been set up yet..

14 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Not yet. A new forum will go up as soon as a title is announced.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Nope, even the screener sent out for TCA literally just had 'MAIN TITLE' during the title sequence. People are expecting an announcement today, though. 

40 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

In the world where storyline content is running thin: being recycled and/or dragged out.  

Good for the show for continuing to perform well in ratings, but just because it could stay on for many more years doesn't mean it should. Money over quality. 

That subjective. Most critics agree that season 14 has been one of the best in years so far (it currently has a 92% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes; the response from fans this year has been pretty unanimously great, too). And the cast has been raving about the upcoming episodes, naming them among their favourite of the series (Ellen, Justin, and Camilla all pointed to the upcoming episodes when asked about their favourites around the time they were celebrating the 300th). 

38 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

That subjective. Most critics agree that season 14 has been one of the best in years so far (it currently has a 92% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes; the response from fans this year has been pretty unanimously great, too). And the cast has been raving about the upcoming episodes, naming them among their favourite of the series (Ellen, Justin, and Camilla all pointed to the upcoming episodes when asked about their favourites around the time they were celebrating the 300th). 

Ellen, Justin, Camilla and Caterina all specified the DV storyline. And FWIW, that hasn't been done before on the show so I can see how that, plus it's importance, is a favorite among cast members. Everything else on the canvas can pretty much be connected to another version (or four) from an earlier season.  As for the new relationships, aside from Jolex all others pale in comparison to the original pairing.

And I agree, season 14 thus far is better than the past few because those installments set the bar very low, season 13 especially. 

My comment on the matter is no more subjective than your opinion on it.

In other news: the ABC boss said at the TCA's that they have a few final ideas for the spinoff title but it will not be "Seattle Fire". 

Regarding the longevity of the show and when it will end: I kind of get the feeling that TPTB may be planning to wind things down.  I know they want to air longer than some other long running medical drama, and they are close to reaching that goal.  It seems to me that the push to have many cast members take on directing roles is a way to protect their futures by diversifying their resumes.  As far as BTS people, Shonda has other projects she can plug people in to.  They should have a strong resume and lots of good connections from working on this show.  There is also the possibility of other spinoffs, although I'm not sure that is actually in anyone's plans.

I'd say they're going at least until season 16. Beyond that is anyone's guess. Ellen spoke a few times during the press for the 300th about being very happy with everything creatively; with Vernoff, it seems the actors have also been given more input into their stories. With Scandal ending, Modern Family likely gone after next season, and Shonda not developing further projects with ABC, they'll do whatever they can to keep Grey's running. If the Firefighter spinoff does well, I imagine more of those will be coming down the pipeline too. I could see them trying a re-titled / re-imagined Grey-Sloane series after Ellen decided to leave.

• Love 1

latest promo with about 2 seconds of new material. At 0.25 I  can see a women tenderly touching Paul’s arm as Jo walks away ( his new girlfriend?).  I think she could be  Bethany Joy  Lenzs character but her back is to the camera so you can’t see her face. 

Edited by Pink ranger

Finally some new footage: 

Also, this is what we know about upcoming episodes: 

14x10 - "Personal Jesus" - A young boy is admitted to Grey Sloan Memorial and his case has a profound impact on the doctors. Meanwhile, April is faced with a surprising patient, and Jo continues to deal with her estranged husband. Guest starring are Matthew Morrison as Paul Stadler, Bethany Joy Lenz as Jenny and Stefania Spampinato as Carina DeLuca.

14x11 is titled "(Don't Fear) The Reaper". I'm guessing there will be a 2-week break following 14x11 while the Olympics run on NBC. 

Edited by BaseOps

Sorry from my link above 

What can you tease for Grey’s Anatomy‘s return? — Marcy

The midseason premiere picks up right where the show left off, with Jo being confronted by the return of his abusive and manipulative estranged husband Paul. “The next two episodes get to a very dark and intense place, but it deals with it and kind of resolves the whole story in a beautiful and redemptive way,” Kevin McKidd tells me. “People step up for Jo because everyone loves Jo. But it’s interesting because Paul is a kind of like a conman and he has incredible skills of persuasion, so there are twists and turns along that road where people start going, ‘Wait, his version of things seem kind of plausible,’ so it’s really interesting depicting and telling that story of somebody who is a deeply manipulative person.”

1 hour ago, Chas411 said:

Sorry from my link above 

What can you tease for Grey’s Anatomy‘s return? — Marcy

The midseason premiere picks up right where the show left off, with Jo being confronted by the return of his abusive and manipulative estranged husband Paul. “The next two episodes get to a very dark and intense place, but it deals with it and kind of resolves the whole story in a beautiful and redemptive way,” Kevin McKidd tells me. “People step up for Jo because everyone loves Jo. But it’s interesting because Paul is a kind of like a conman and he has incredible skills of persuasion, so there are twists and turns along that road where people start going, ‘Wait, his version of things seem kind of plausible,’ so it’s really interesting depicting and telling that story of somebody who is a deeply manipulative person.”

Truth be told most abusers are great con artists, men or women. They keep the story true and when you have someone like Jo who really kept constantly trying to hide who she was (unless majorly drunk) and you even have it going where Arizona knew him at one point and even that he is a very respected doctor. Then why would you think these things about him be true? So, that I find to be very believable and as much as we don't want this to drag as it has for 3 years. Two episodes seems short unless he is caught hitting her or something. 

7 hours ago, Chas411 said:

“The next two episodes get to a very dark and intense place, but it deals with it and kind of resolves the whole story in a beautiful and redemptive way,” Kevin McKidd tells me. 

Yeah, he also said that the custody battle over Sofia would have "a beautiful resolution" or something and it turned out to be the biggest nonsense EVER, so I'm not entirely convinced here. 

• Love 5

The way I see it, what's his face (Jo's abusive ex) breaks into Jolex's (do Jo and Alex still live together? no clue...) and tries to attack Jo. He pins her down and all that, and just when it looks like he'll finish her off for good, Jo grabs that gun and shoots him fatally. That is how it ends with him. A bit anti-climatic, but I can definitely see the writers heading in that direction. I feel like it has actually happened before. Maybe on One Tree Hill? No clue.

11 hours ago, kinnej5 said:

The way I see it, what's his face (Jo's abusive ex) breaks into Jolex's (do Jo and Alex still live together? no clue...) and tries to attack Jo. He pins her down and all that, and just when it looks like he'll finish her off for good, Jo grabs that gun and shoots him fatally. That is how it ends with him. A bit anti-climatic, but I can definitely see the writers heading in that direction. I feel like it has actually happened before. Maybe on One Tree Hill? No clue.

The problem with that is unless Alex is a witness, and this being Grey's. Then you add into a court issue with Jo being tried for murder or was it self defense. Which, I hate for that to go there. 

Turns out the Alex-centric episode isn't quite Alex-centric. It sounds more like Grey's Anatomy: The High School Years, which could also be interesting. From TvLine: 

Regarding a certain major episode of Grey’s Anatomy that’s currently in production, I’ve learned that Alex won’t be the only character getting the origin treatment in the Ellen Pompeo-directed hour. Sources confirm that the episode will also shed light on Maggie’s teenage years.

I'm not against hearing about Maggie's early years...I just don't see how they can tie it in to Alex's.  And, honestly, there is enough in Alex's past to explore to fill several episodes, so I don't know why they have to pad it with Maggie.

• Love 4

I just feel like they're shove Maggie into everything. It's too much. April has barely had anything to do this year. How about her? Or Arizona? Or Jo, Jackson, DeLuca just anybody else I'm so over Learning about Maggie the writers pet.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I'm not against hearing about Maggie's early years...I just don't see how they can tie it in to Alex's.  And, honestly, there is enough in Alex's past to explore to fill several episodes, so I don't know why they have to pad it with Maggie.

Let's see: Alex has horrible home life, abusive father, mother who mental problems, basically raised his brother and sister himself. Was in foster care due to his dad being gone and his mother's constant break downs. Maggie is adopted into a loving home (with apparently a controlling step father to her step mother) is so bright she skips a few grades, but can't deal with dating and "teen life" and can't sleep in the same bed with men and they all leave her and then she gets jealous when they move on with their lives. Yes, totally mirrors of each other, excuse me while I go throw up in the corner. 

15 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I just feel like they're shove Maggie into everything. It's too much. April has barely had anything to do this year. How about her? Or Arizona? Or Jo, Jackson, DeLuca just anybody else I'm so over Learning about Maggie the writers pet.

Jo would make the most sense due to her being homeless and how she met and married Paul. That would mirror Alex very well. Or DeLuca who had a split home, basically everyone backstabbing him in some way from the family, to co-workers to girlfriends. Also could mirror Alex. Everyone else... we don't really need any more info. The only thing on Maggie I would like to know was why her "step dad" was considered by her mother to be so controlling to the point, she had the affair for several years. Plus, add in the fact the real reason they stayed together for Maggie, if they did it because "She is not emotionally mature." that would make sense because she is approaching 30 and still acts like a 10 year old. 

Edited by readster
  • Love 3

I wonder if it goes something like this: Mer, Alex, and Maggie are eating around a table (either at hospital or at Mer's house) and the convo somehow comes around to life in the high school years.  One says, "Back then I..." and the other responds with, "Well I...back then."

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

Episode Title Change

I wasn’t sure if this should be posted here or on the main episode thread, but the title of the premiere episode has been changed. 

I’d noticed that on my dvr and was kind of confused that the title was different. Now that I see its official, I’ll change the thread title.

I guess this is the first episode to not have its name derived from a song title.

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Maybe the point of dual flashbacks isn’t to mirror, but to contrast.

That would make sense, but good lord there are 50 other characters who I would like to see that happen with.  This will be Maggie's 3rd centric/semi-centric episode in less than 4 years (as opposed to Alex's 1/2) and I have met both sets of her parents.  Enough. THIS is my problem with Maggie. She gets shoehorned into things (Japril, Mer/Nathan) that don't come about naturally, because she apparently needs to be front and center more than most of the characters.  If they have to contrast Alex's childhood/teen years with anyone, they could do that with April.  Or Jackson.  Or probably Arizona, but we don't really know because we have never seen her family or heard much about her life.   Or, god forbid, they could actually center an episode on Alex's life all by himself. In the end, I assume this won't really be a centric episode at all, but just funny flashbacks.  If we're lucky, maybe we can watch Maggie and Fat Alex get bullied, and if the Jaggie thing continues to be unpopular maybe we'll be lucky enough to have Alex wax poetic about her again.   

As far as the upcoming episodes, I'm not sure that 2 non-centric episodes are going to be enough to wrap up Jo's past and relationship with her husband, but maybe he will come back later.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

That would make sense, but good lord there are 50 other characters who I would like to see that happen with.  This will be Maggie's 3rd centric/semi-centric episode in less than 4 years (as opposed to Alex's 1/2) and I have met both sets of her parents.  Enough. THIS is my problem with Maggie. She gets shoehorned into things (Japril, Mer/Nathan) that don't come about naturally, because she apparently needs to be front and center more than most of the characters.  If they have to contrast Alex's childhood/teen years with anyone, they could do that with April.  Or Jackson.  Or probably Arizona, but we don't really know because we have never seen her family or heard much about her life.   Or, god forbid, they could actually center an episode on Alex's life all by himself. In the end, I assume this won't really be a centric episode at all, but just funny flashbacks.  If we're lucky, maybe we can watch Maggie and Fat Alex get bullied, and if the Jaggie thing continues to be unpopular maybe we'll be lucky enough to have Alex wax poetic about her again.   

As far as the upcoming episodes, I'm not sure that 2 non-centric episodes are going to be enough to wrap up Jo's past and relationship with her husband, but maybe he will come back later.

Arizona would work because of her growing up with an older brother who died in the military and that her parents didn't want to have mentioned when she got married (which I think made no sense since their dad was life time military). It would show how Arizona had a loving family that faced tragedy while Alex was constant crap since day 1 and made it to a successful life, though with poor personal choices and anger issues. April would have been great too as she was in such a large family that was more devoted to religion and "God will see a way" verses Alex's: "You do your best, but if someone pisses you off enough, kick their ass!" Better contrast not: "Alex went into foster care and Maggie was an adoptive kid and she was sheltered and Alex was barely a child..." because it just shows Maggie as a favorite of the writers/producers when she isn't much of anything else. In fact even die hard fans say: "Enough with Maggie for a while." 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

I agree with everything you wrote.  Also, I know they wanted a lot more Jolex last season, but Camilla's pregnancy interfered with that.  I've heard that there were scenes filmed that ended up not airing.  Now there is a new showrunner.  I wonder if they've changed direction with the story they were going to tell and/or if they will be using old, unused footage.  I'm going to guess she confronts him, somehow, as a strong survivor and not the weak victim she once was.  He will realize he no longer has power over her.  She will get the divorce fairly easily/quickly, and then will stand in the light/dance in the sun, and move forward in her life in a positive manner.  Case closed, everyone moves on.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, readster said:

Arizona would work because of her growing up with an older brother who died in the military and that her parents didn't want to have mentioned when she got married (which I think made no sense since their dad was life time military). It would show how Arizona had a loving family that faced tragedy while Alex was constant crap since day 1 and made it to a successful life, though with poor personal choices and anger issues. April would have been great too as she was in such a large family that was more devoted to religion and "God will see a way" verses Alex's: "You do your best, but if someone pisses you off enough, kick their ass!" Better contrast not: "Alex went into foster care and Maggie was an adoptive kid and she was sheltered and Alex was barely a child..." because it just shows Maggie as a favorite of the writers/producers when she isn't much of anything else. In fact even die hard fans say: "Enough with Maggie for a while." 

And I'm not even sure that foster care vs. adoption really works that well anyway because while they had to throw foster care into Alex's already sad and tragedy filled backstory, I always considered the druggie father/mentally ill mother to be his main past trauma and just threw his foster care stuff in there on a whim. 

4 minutes ago, Scatterbrained said:

I wonder if they've changed direction with the story they were going to tell and/or if they will be using old, unused footage.  I'm going to guess she confronts him, somehow, as a strong survivor and not the weak victim she once was.  He will realize he no longer has power over her.  She will get the divorce fairly easily/quickly, and then will stand in the light/dance in the sun, and move forward in her life in a positive manner.  Case closed, everyone moves on.  

It wouldn't surprise me if this isn't really as story that Vernoff wanted to tell but felt she had to since it has been dragged on for years now and because we know that the husband is alive.  But the husband backing down because Jo has become a "Warrior Princess" out of nowhere doesn't seem very realistic to me (nor does the whole hospital rallying around Jo but whatever), and I think that they need to be very careful in how they tell this story.  So it having a "happy ending" where the husband just gives up or sees the error of his ways seems kind of irresponsible to me.  

• Love 3

It sounds like they are going to wrap the DV storyline up in two episode. I still stand by what I said earlier about Jo fatally shooting her ex in a climatic moment, even if it doesn't seem very like Grey's and much more a show like SVU. (Which I also think should end, but getting off-topic here). I am kind of disappointed, because I remember some time ago... maybe season nine? Right before Jo and Alex began to hook up, I believe, she was involved with a guy who mis-treated her, and we got an idea that Jo had a traumatic past. Now, five years later, this plot is getting resolved in two episodes?

The only way that could even be remotely okay with me (and probably others) is if the compare/contrast episode is Jo and Alex's similarities growing up. Both pretty much had to step up and raise themselves without a parent or parental figure. Both lived on the streets, both have a violent history. I think this kind of could be a nice way to bring the focus back on Jo/Alex, and that proposal Jo turned down all those years ago. However, with five years of build-up, I feel this would give a very sudden and abrupt ending to a storyline we were promised would be 'good' and divulge in Jo's history.

But Grey's, when was the last time it ever lived up to anything it promised? Probably never, to be honest. The writers have all these grand ideas (which I can relate to as a fanfic writer) but they execute them sloppily or just drop the whole plot altogether while they build up to it. The only difference between me and them is that I criticize myself too harshly. If I know what I want to put into a fanfic sucks, I'm going to either delete the fanfic if it's already posted online or I am just not going to post it at all. Sorry for getting off topic there. Failed, unaccomplished dreamer here.

So, anyways... I totally agree that Maggie has gotten way too much attention. She had a significant plot last year, probably not the year before that, but the year before that in season 11. She's basically been written as a Mary-Sue. This is probably something that should be mentioned in the appropriate thread(s) but there are some things that she's said over the past three or four years that just grates on my nerves. Particularly when she attacked Amelia out of the blue about 'white privilege' when Amelia was being an ally. She just says all these things without thinking twice about it.

And she's supposed to be smart? And we're supposed to believe she's smart? And we're supposed to actually like her?

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, kinnej5 said:

It sounds like they are going to wrap the DV storyline up in two episode. I still stand by what I said earlier about Jo fatally shooting her ex in a climatic moment, even if it doesn't seem very like Grey's and much more a show like SVU. (Which I also think should end, but getting off-topic here). I am kind of disappointed, because I remember some time ago... maybe season nine? Right before Jo and Alex began to hook up, I believe, she was involved with a guy who mis-treated her, and we got an idea that Jo had a traumatic past. Now, five years later, this plot is getting resolved in two episodes?

My cynical opinion is that the DV story line came up under the previous show runner and Krista Vernoff doesn't really want to deal with it, so she's trying to tie it up as quickly as possible.  One of the cast, can't remember who, said that it was "heartwarming"--which is not a word I normally (or should ever) associate with Domestic Violence.  This all smacks of a "we can't fix this character so we're going to write off her entire history in Shondaland with a brain tumor" sort of cop out to me.

• Love 5

Domestic violence is a topic that vernoff probably didn’t want to cover cause it doesn’t jibe with the season she wants to write, which she’s been open about bringing the fun and sexy back. DV isn’t fun or sexy, but she can’t just drop it like she can japril (bitter pills moment) and she can’t wave it off with a tumor but because she’s such an advocate for feminism she’s not going to botch it either. So we’ll see how it pans out but it prob won’t pan out the way the previous show runner envisioned and built up to before Camilla’s pregnancy.

The previous showrunner stomped all over Jo throughout season 11 so not sure I buy they had some grand plan for her had Camilla not gotten pregnant. Kristas version of Greys has Jo at her most likeable and rootable in years so while DV may not have been in her original plan im not sure the previous showrunner would have done it justice either.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

The previous showrunner stomped all over Jo throughout season 11 so not sure I buy they had some grand plan for her had Camilla not gotten pregnant. Kristas version of Greys has Jo at her most likeable and rootable in years so while DV may not have been in her original plan im not sure the previous showrunner would have done it justice either.

I actually don't have a problem with a DV story line.  My issue is that I have no confidence in it being done well, due to everything I've heard about it so far.  I'd love to be wrong, but I just can't see how it can be tied up in a heartwarming way in 2 episodes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Layne said:

What? When did they say that?

That was sort of what has been implied.  We know that Maggie says her childhood was happy and her parents seemed goofy (I'm thinking of the singing telegram they sent her).  When her mom had her story line last season, it was strongly implied that her father was controlling, at least of Diane, and that is why she left him.

As for the step father/step mother--I think that was just a typo by the OP.  I think they meant adoptive father and mother?

Wasn't Diane having an affair and her husband found out? I thought that was the reason they separated. Unless I am thinking of something entirely differently. I was more invested on the Amelia angst, Japril drama, and Calzona childness to really focus on Maggie's family drama. Though (not sure if it was this thread where it was mentioned) I feel jippedf or investing so much into Amelia only to find out it was a freaking brain tumor! I really admired Amelia's "fuck you" attitude. I know a lot of people considered her childish and selfish, but I could relate a little bit to Amelia in some ways. Now, it's like someone yanked that away from me... "loljk, it was just a tumor! This is the real Amelia" and yaaaaaawn!

Back to Shonda's kill list, I am really curious as to who she will kill this season. I mean, a main character; not someone we heard of once or twice and then made a three-episode appearance before dying. I honestly thought it was going to be Stephanie back in 13x24, but nope. She got to live and run away from Seattle Grace Mercy Death. The writers actually made her likable in the last few episodes and I thought "Yeah, Steph is a goner."

It'll probably be anti-climatic. Like Callie or Addison dies off-screen. Well, hey, they are next in order of appearance. :) I guess, of the current characters, April or Owen are (If we consider Sarah Drew's appearance on Private Practice) because what purpose do they even have now?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, readster said:

Arizona would work because of her growing up with an older brother who died in the military and that her parents didn't want to have mentioned when she got married (which I think made no sense since their dad was life time military). It would show how Arizona had a loving family that faced tragedy while Alex was constant crap since day 1 and made it to a successful life, though with poor personal choices and anger issues. 

I forgot about Arizona’s military background. I’m surprised that it hasn’t come up with Owen. You’d think they’d have a bond considering at one point it was believed that they both lost siblings in action. 

4 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Spoilerish, so I'm posting this here instead of the media thread.

Grey's Anatomy: Bethany Joy Lenz Is Playing 

Stupid title to the article popped up a spoiler tag.  Anyway, Paul is engaged (which should have been easy to figure out since he's the only possible person who could show up with a fiance at this point).  Interesting because he would have to actually divorce his current wife first, unless he wanted to be a bigamist.

28 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Anyway, Paul is engaged (which should have been easy to figure out since he's the only possible person who could show up with a fiance at this point).  Interesting because he would have to actually divorce his current wife first, unless he wanted to be a bigamist.

Paul could have already done that, citing abandonment. If a person leaves and disappears, the spouse can still divorce them in absentia.

Although this not being the first time I’ve ever watched tv in my life, I doubt this is the case, because it wouldn’t be near as dramatic.

• Love 2

I thought of something but then was like... "Just what we need, another One Tree Hill alum hooking up with Arizona!" so never mind.

Though I totally wouldn't mind her cheating on Carina with BJL's character. I liked Haley.

But I definitely wonder what is going to happen with BJL's character, since she is engaged to Paul.

Edited by kinnej5

And maybe that's why Paul showed up at the hospital? Maybe to get Jo to sign divorce papers, which would certainly clear up part of the DV storyline. But then they can still explore the issue of Jo wanting to let Paul's fiancee know about why she up and left, it Paul has even told her about his marriage in the first place. 

38 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

And maybe that's why Paul showed up at the hospital? Maybe to get Jo to sign divorce papers, which would certainly clear up part of the DV storyline.

That’s the needless drama part. Jo left, has been gone for years, Paul doesn’t need her to sign squat. He can get a divorce without her. If he says he’s trying to divorce her, it’s probably just for more psychological torture.

• Love 1

Jo,will try to warn new fiancée, and will give her the DV hotline number.  It will be heartwarming that she's looking out for another woman.  GIRL POWER!

and then everyone will give Jo hugs of congratulations and support now that it is over.  Heartwarming.

Edited by Scatterbrained
  • Love 3