Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

This pretty much rules out mental institution or rehab facility, guess its just some boring surgery, lol. https://twitter.com/JChambersOnline/status/588437103039545344

I'm glad it's been ruled out, as I didn't think it really seemed like a psych hospital anyway.  My college degree is in Psychology, and I've worked at psych hospitals that look just like "regular" hospitals, complete with supplies in the halls.  I've also been hospitalized in several "regular" hospitals for surgery for all of my physical ailments, and some of those do look like the one in the pic--dim lighting and no supplies in the halls.

I'm taking the "freak out 'spoilers'" with every grain of salt that ever has existed and ever will exist.

What do we know about the supposed 'time jump' so far? I'm thinking a lot of the location shooting has to do with that.

The sides in episode 22 for the burn victim reference time jumping forward 6-7 months.

I'm taking the "freak out 'spoilers'" with every grain of salt that ever has existed and ever will exist.

I take all spoilers with a grain of salt except if its an interview with an actor or writer saying XXXXX will happen in this week's episode. Other than that things can always change from the sides and/or rumors. Its just speculating/guessing on what can happen from the teases we have and I find it fun.

I've also been hospitalized in several "regular" hospitals for surgery for all of my physical ailments, and some of those do look like the one in the pic--dim lighting and no supplies in the halls.

I've never seen a medical hospital that looked anything like that. I was hoping for anything (don't care what it is) other than yet another surgery because in 11 seasons we've seen this over and over and over with different cast members. Its surgery than magical recovery and pop right back to work in the next episode or two.

Edited by windsprints

I'm not sold on them actually shooting in Miami.  I haven't seen any other posts besides that one.  Flying across the US, setting up a location/set would be incredibly expensive so if they did that, they would need something to look authentically Miami.  I have no idea what they could need there that couldn't be simulated somehow. Whatever is going on, the entire cast seems incredibly busy.  Sarah and Jesse are shooting somewhere on location, Justin is shooting with Ellen and Camilla, Sara R and Jerrika were shooting the other day.  I think Caterina and Jessica were shooting too.  Just joining the gang of those are that completely lost!

• Love 1

Plus they are in CA, how hard would it be to find a palm tree and make it be Miami?

The "PD is leaving" rumors are sprouting up everywhere, which doesn't necessarily mean that Derek is dying, but I do think that something is going on that may not have been planned previously.

Far be it from me to speculate on someone's personal life (HA - who am I kidding?!), but I wonder if Patrick's separation/impending divorce has allowed him more time to race than planned when he signed his contract and is now negotiating more time away from Greys than originally planned.

• Love 1

What if it's as simple as Derek deciding to take a job at the hospital where the car crash victims get treated? There is that side mentioning how their neuro doc is 30 minutes away at a family function, so maybe Derek steps in after being a hero on the field and decides that this hospital could use him more than Grey Sloan and all of it's best-in-their-field doctors.

Then throughout the remainder of the series we can just see him randomly at home from time to time, or Meredith will mention how he's doing or that he's coaching Zola's soccer team or whatever.

lol This may be a stretch.

I've just been wondering if there will be a misdirect and another character will end up seriously injured or dying. Maybe not in episode 21, but by the end of the season.

Edited by funnygirl

Plus they are in CA, how hard would it be to find a palm tree and make it be Miami?

Not to mention that location shooting in Miami is often fraught with heat/humidity and daily thunderstorms. California just makes so much more sense as a stand-in. Unless they want to use a specific landmark in the shot but I can't think of any.

• Love 1

Then throughout the remainder of the series we can just see him randomly at home from time to time, or Meredith will mention how he's doing or that he's coaching Zola's soccer team or whatever.

I've just been wondering if there will be a misdirect and another character will end up seriously injured or dying. Maybe not in episode 21, but by the end of the season.

That scenario is way too reasonable for Shonda! It has too be waaay more dramatic. I was shocked when they let Derek simply go to DC but then she had to add the cheating.

I still think that Derek is going to get hurt somehow and go into a coma because even if he isn't leaving, its doubtful that PD will be in every episod next season. Then as soon as everyone calms down from that, someone else will die. I just hope it isn't Richard.

• Love 2

according to some on Twitter, 11x24 is called "You're My Person" (per Wikipedia).  Is this even a song title?  I tried to google and all I get is a zillion Grey's references.  Any thoughts?

ETA: I am doubting this myself--just curious what others think

Edited by Greysaddict

What if it's as simple as Derek deciding to take a job at the hospital where the car crash victims get treated? There is that side mentioning how their neuro doc is 30 minutes away at a family function, so maybe Derek steps in after being a hero on the field and decides that this hospital could use him more than Grey Sloan and all of it's best-in-their-field doctors.

This is my hope. Thinking about no Derek is seriously depressing. Which is a sad statement on my life.

• Love 1
It seems criminal to have that title and not have Sandra in the episode in some way to me.

100% agree.

That scenario is way too reasonable for Shonda! It has too be waaay more dramatic. I was shocked when they let Derek simply go to DC but then she had to add the cheating.

Derek's absences can easily be explained with a few lines of dialog and/or an occasional scene - medical conference, visiting family in NY for a wedding,graduation, etc., teaching, having his own private practice w/ privileges at SGM, working in another hospital, switching to research - the list goes on. If season 12 is either the final year for the show (I really don't think it will be) or Ellen's last season then I think they'd try to find a way to keep PD/Derek around even for a handful of episodes. Honestly, the only way I don't see this happening if its PD who wants all the way out. At this point we may not even know at the end of the season if there's a cliffhanger (maybe them still trying to work out a deal).

I still think that Derek is going to get hurt somehow and go into a coma because even if he isn't leaving, its doubtful that PD will be in every episod next season. Then as soon as everyone calms down from that, someone else will die. I just hope it isn't Richard.

Agree, misdirect would be Grey's style. Richard's ties to both Maggie and Meredith may keep him around even if he doesn't get much story. To me, Bailey would be the big shocker because no one would ever expect it. She's had next to nothing to do all season long (but she's not alone in that!), isn't related to anyone and really doesn't do much since the interns became attendings. I really don't want anyone to die, just throwing out another possibility along with Richard even though James, Chandra and Justin all have contracts through 12 like EP and PD do.

Edited by windsprints

I just can't see them killing off Derek this late into the game, y'know? We're on season 11 now and they've made it so far. It was a blessing EP/PD even signed for seasons 9 and 10, let alone 11 and 12. If we were still in season 4 or 5 and the show had years to come ahead, I could actually see him dying because there'd be no realistic way for the show to continue without his character appearing. It would be outrageous to kill him off after all this time.

Even if Ellen continues for another few seasons (I don't think 12 will be the last either) and Patrick leaves, I feel like they'd make it work with the story somehow. The DC thing would've been the perfect exit strategy for him, realistically, so if he was leaving why not just continue with that? Working for the president was a good enough reason for him to not live at home with Mer/the kids - even if they were still on solid ground. Plus if Ellen chose to decrease her screentime in later seasons, they could easily just say she was in DC with Derek for an episode here and there. Like someone else said above, there's so many (more realistic) ways for PD to exit the series that don't include Derek dying that it'd just be ludicrous to kill him just because Patrick is ready to move on.

However, ABC and Shonda have been everything but logical when it comes to this show so what do we know?

Derek's absences can easily be explained with a few lines of dialog and/or an occasional scene

I totally agree that it could easily be explained that way, but for some reason Shonds needs to inject unnecessary. drama. Derek could have just decided that he missed his family without involving that woman, Izzie could have gone to visit her mother (the first time) without leaving Akex and AZ could have just gone off tho Africa without the breakup.

If Ellen decided that she will leave after next season that is probably what they will do. I'm sure that lots of stuff is up in the air right now.

• Love 1
I just can't see them killing off Derek this late into the game, y'know? We're on season 11 now and they've made it so far.

Agree. But

If Ellen decided that she will leave after next season that is probably what they will do. I'm sure that lots of stuff is up in the air right now.

I think Ellen staying is what would kill Derek off (its a big if, I still really don't think they will) if PD wants to phase out/leave. If Ellen has told them or they believe she'd return beyond season 12 I could see that being what tips the scale. Grey's is built on relationship drama above all else. If Ellen stays/PD the writers would need drama for her. She's already become a wife and mother, been through countless Mommy/Daddy issues, 3 half siblings, fake daddy, sister dying, mother dying, step mother dying, issues with her "person" and "person" leaving. They've also given her a lot of professional drama - success, feeling inferior, ethical dilemmas, being the intern, being the boss "medusa" and owning part of the hospital. She's had pretty much every relationship and issue with it imaginable. At least with Derek around they could maybe come up with some other couple kind of story. All opinions/likes of the character(s) aside - the best (meaning most storyline) story for her alone would be him dying.

Anyway, I stick with no way would Shonda kill McDreamy but if for some reason they do I kind of get why they would go that route.

• Love 2

All opinions/likes of the character(s) aside - the best (meaning most storyline) story for her alone would be him dying.

I'm afraid I agree with this (and I won't watch this show without PD). The last sneak peak ABC posted (of MerDer in bed, with Meredith talking about how she spent nights without him) kind of proves the case. IT'S BORING. Shonda has no idea how to make couples interesting without resorting to infidelity, accidental pregnancy, spree killing or vehicular carnage.

The writers had the perfect opportunity to explore the difficulty of a dual-career family... and they blew it. Derek gives up an important job and acts like it should never have mattered to him in the first place. I call bullsh*t.

• Love 3
The writers had the perfect opportunity to explore the difficulty of a dual-career family... and they blew it. Derek gives up an important job and acts like it should never have mattered to him in the first place. I call bullsh*t.

Unfortunately Tuleh2 that's often the case with the writing for Derek. It has been from the very beginning IMO because the stories are generally not about him and his POV is so limited (or non-existent) in any couple story. It would be great if Derek had some story about him, from his POV, if PD stays on but at this point I wouldn't hold my breath. The male characters just don't matter on the show. I'm all for shows about women but when you are seasons and season into a show based on relationships the lack of the male POV (not just MerDer all of them) in them makes them feel so thinly written. They're often there just to provide story for the female characters.

ETA: Looks the the bulk of the press from the day the media was on set will be for 21. So, hopefully beginning tomorrow there will be some spoilers. Maybe even something not depressing.

Edited by windsprints

Unfortunately Tuleh2 that's often the case with the writing for Derek. It has been from the very beginning IMO because the stories are generally not about him and his POV is so limited (or non-existent) in any couple story. It would be great if Derek had some story about him, from his POV, if PD stays on but at this point I wouldn't hold my breath. The male characters just don't matter on the show. I'm all for shows about women but when you are seasons and season into a show based on relationships the lack of the male POV (not just MerDer all of them) in them makes them feel so thinly written. They're often there just to provide story for the female characters.

ETA: Looks the the bulk of the press from the day the media was on set will be for 21. So, hopefully beginning tomorrow there will be some spoilers. Maybe even something not depressing.

Yeah one of the reasons I was drawn to this show in the first place (almost 10 years ago fuck me) was that it was told from a largely female POV and that female-female relationships weren't always abandoned in favour of fighting over guys.

That said, Derek is a cipher and always has been. The first time he really had a storyline by himself was S5. And even then his family drama (Dad murdered in front of him) was truncated to a bare minimum whilst with Amelia it was mentioned as a massive part of her fucked up-ness almost every episode. Mer has the Gold Medal as far as every single type of family tragedy goes but Derek is in the running at least and it gets brushed under the carpet with "bad day all around". I think PD does mostly good work with what he's got but Derek is used to be reduced to nothing but a smug cipher and when he's featured its very obvious that he (and all the other male characters) are being written mainly by women.

If Derek is getting killed off, Ellen will probably get some great material but I just can't watch another Mer dark and twisty stage, even if it totally within character and general grieving death of a spouse.  

• Love 2

An extra posted a picture of the inside of the hospital

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CClnH68XIAIau4e.jpg:large

It makes me think at a mental hospital : soft lighting, no medical supply in the hallway, the color of the scrubs

I think Meredith has a mental breakdown after the death of Derek

I'm doing a facepalm after looking at that pic again.  I'm about 99% certain that the pic was taken in an area of the hospital that wasn't being used for shooting at the time of the pic.  It's quite possibly the actor/extras/crew holding area.  The woman in the pic is sitting in a Grey's Anatomy chair and there's crew equipment on the floor in the background.  It being a holding area would explain the dim lighting and lack of hospital supplies.  I've worked as an extra on a few medical shows, and this pic screams backstage holding area to me.

I generally don't like to speculate, but after finding out in last night's ep that Derek wants another baby, I wonder if Mere is the one who is pregnant.  And maybe the time jump has something to do with that?

If Derek dies, I am done with the show.  IMHO, even if he dies as a hero, it's a slap in the face to Patrick and the fans.  Also, I have not really cared for the show for several seasons and have only hung in there because I'm such a big fan of Patrick.  Derek dying is the deal breaker for me.

• Love 4

I wish they could be more creative to write Derek out but I really think Patrick is leaving and Derek is dying or really injured like a coma. I think there will a twist before we know about him. I think Meredith is told he is injured and doesn't believe its life threatened. Either they find Derek's coat with ID and phone with someone he saved or Amelia has a non-serious accident and injured "Dr. Shepherd" is Amelia. Amelia has been the other Dr. Shepherd all season long and they've even had mix ups when being paged.

Its been like a Meredith/Derek highlight reel during the past few episodes and its playing like a goodbye. If Derek does die the writers were really shitty in having Derek kissing the other woman right before it happens.

I generally don't like to speculate, but after finding out in last night's ep that Derek wants another baby, I wonder if Mere is the one who is pregnant.  And maybe the time jump has something to do with that?

I think she could be pregnant. There's been a lot of talk about how much sex they were having since he returned and last night's talk of wanting more kids. If Derek is in fact in a coma or dead I hope she isn't. The woman being pregnant when the husband dies is overdone on tv.

Edited by maasa
  • Love 1

That would be surprising since most people will be expecting the twist to go the opposite way - looking like its Derek then not being him. Last night has me leaning more towards Derek being seriously injured/possibly a coma. I still have a hard time thinking Shonda would ever kill off McDreamy. Any other show/writers I would think he was so dead.

Does anyone recall the site that had the spoiler about a death in Shondaland?

I can't remember exactly... the only "blind" spoiler I remember was from TV Line, I think, where they referenced a major character dying on a network show. Everybody would assume Shondaland, of course.

But Shonda apparently killed Scott Foley (again!) on Scandal. Maybe nobody dies on GA.

I can't remember exactly... the only "blind" spoiler I remember was from TV Line, I think, where they referenced a major character dying on a network show. Everybody would assume Shondaland, of course.

But Shonda apparently killed Scott Foley (again!) on Scandal. Maybe nobody dies on GA.

There was one that specifically said a Shondaland show.

Jake isn't dead

To me, the scenes in the past two episodes have been just too poignant and significant for PD not to be killed off, at this point. I'm not completely naive, I've been watching this show for a decade of my life and know they like their fake-outs. But I also know if they were ever to kill him off they WOULD bombard the fans with old-school references ('you were like coming up for fresh air', 'wait for me') and sweet moments. Derek would never get a Will Gardner type of death. A lot of the recent MerDer moments have reminded me of Susan and Mike's final talk on the porch before he was shot on Desperate Housewives. So yeah, I think I'm a bit convinced Derek is dying and PD is leaving. I'll eat my words if he doesn't, but for the next week until we know I'm in that boat.

The only thing I can think of as far as a reason is ABC might have let him go because realistically they're not getting the bang for their buck anymore. The show's ratings, while still good, have slipped even in the demos. It's heading into the 12th season. At some point the expenses begin to outweigh the income. He gets paid a ridiculous amount to do basically nothing and to be in only be in a handful of episodes, and they might not have seen a financially beneficial future with him staying. Tim Daly and Eric Dane were killed off because of budget reasons too - although ABC and Shonda never like to say those things upfront.

As a fan, it'd make much more sense for them to retire JPJ and send him off with Catherine, and get rid of Stephanie or even send Bailey away to keep Derek on the show but like I said before, they like to do things their own way and they usually mess things up. It just bugs me that the show has continued for so long that even it's very core relationships and characters are collapsing. I've been a total apologist for the show up til now but this really might be the last straw for me too...

I just hate that my rewatches of those first few brilliant seasons (and the it's-still-good seasons that followed) are gonna be completely ruined if Derek dies. I wish the show had ended at season 8.

• Love 2

To me, the scenes in the past two episodes have been just too poignant and significant for PD not to be killed off, at this point. I'm not completely naive, I've been watching this show for a decade of my life and know they like their fake-outs. But I also know if they were ever to kill him off they WOULD bombard the fans with old-school references ('you were like coming up for fresh air', 'wait for me') and sweet moments.

I wish I didn't agree with you, but all of this makes sense. It's easy to assume from the over-the-top promos that it's a misdirect, but SR does love the big shocking moment. And if PD has an early release from his contract (either at his own behest or through a network decision), then Derek's death is the most likely scenario. I however, have no desire to watch Meredith as a grieving (pregnant?) widow. If Derek's gone, so am I.

• Love 4
As a fan, it'd make much more sense for them to retire JPJ and send him off with Catherine, and get rid of Stephanie or even send Bailey away to keep Derek on the show but like I said before, they like to do things their own way and they usually mess things up.

I wouldn't be shocked if multiple people left. If Derek does leave or die I don't think that rules out other people leaving too. Richard's talk of his near death could easily be a to get people thinking Richard may die and then Derek will but it could also be hinting at Richard being sick and/or dying. For me this season has really highlighted how they don't seem to have story (or want to write it) for many characters so really, why keep them all?

Picture of them filming on the beach. People seem to think its Meredith with the kids but I have a hard time telling for sure. Its bad that I see this and immediately think "ha, it will probably end with a giant wave approaching, fade to black".  

ABC might have let him go because realistically they're not getting the bang for their buck anymore.

I don't think they'd risk the backlash from fans... and there WOULD be backlash. ABC has too much riding on Shonda; they need to be able to say it was PD's decision to leave.

But Ellen retweeted a funny tweet from a fan this morning telling Shonda she better not "harm her Derek." I don't think Ellen would have done that if Derek was really going to die. (I think it would be kind of disrespectful if you were talking about the exit of your co-star of eleven years/the end of "MerDer.")

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 1
ABC might have let him go because realistically they're not getting the bang for their buck anymore.

They clearly still are. Otherwise they wouldn't have used their (ridiculous IMO) hashtag campaign related to Derek and has everyone (even non Derek/PD fans) speculating about his fate. For better or worse, PD still brings some star power to the show and McDreamy is still somewhat relevant to the show (despite his only 30 second appearances) and in general. ABC and/or Shondaland may not be all that content with that but they acknowledge it and still go with it. 

Since they've gotten rid of other actors for budgetary reasons (Eric for one), my belief is that ABC is willing to put up with it until PD asks for a release for x or y reason and ABC decides to give it. For now, I doubt that ABC isn't getting their return here.

Not the site, but I do remember only Scandal was tagged in that article. Maybe it was a decoy or maybe it was really lazy by whoever wrote the blind item. Or perhaps it was all wrong.

Maybe nobody dies on GA

Oh hell no. After all this speculation and making me use my brain for GA again, someone  must die now. I vote for Stephanie or Owen. Please. 

I think it would be kind of disrespectful if you were talking about the exit of your co-star of eleven years/the end of "MerDer."

Agreed. Especially with the friendship they seemed to have developed during the years. 

They clearly still are. Otherwise they wouldn't have used their (ridiculous IMO) hashtag campaign related to Derek and has everyone (even non Derek/PD fans) speculating about his fate. For better or worse, PD still brings some star power to the show and McDreamy is still somewhat relevant to the show (despite his only 30 second appearances) and in general. ABC and/or Shondaland may not be all that content with that but they acknowledge it and still go with it. 

Since they've gotten rid of other actors for budgetary reasons (Eric for one), my belief is that ABC is willing to put up with it until PD asks for a release for x or y reason and ABC decides to give it. For now, I doubt that ABC isn't getting their return here.

Not the site, but I do remember only Scandal was tagged in that article. Maybe it was a decoy or maybe it was really lazy by whoever wrote the blind item. Or perhaps it was all wrong.

Oh hell no. After all this speculation and making me use my brain for GA again, someone  must die now. I vote for Stephanie or Owen. Please. 

Agreed. Especially with the friendship they seemed to have developed during the years. 

Can we have a Stephanie/Own/Amelia trifecta?

Honestly, for fans' sake, I really don't want anyone to die. I think that's the cheap way to go out. I know Grey Sloan Memorial Seattle Grace Mercy Death has buses, shooters, planes, etc. falling onto characters, but I think it's so much more satisfying to have characters leave more naturally. I remember reading that Shonda killed Mark because he would never have walked away from Callie and Sofia, and I get it, but he could have opened a practice somewhere close, and perhaps we'd be happy in the knowledge that he was seeing his daughter.

BTW, have we seen Sofia at all this season?

• Love 2

Well,

I guess Jake died last night. Scott Foley's character. Someone wrote on Twitter that he needs to be killed off on HTGAWM for that trifecta.

Jake isn't dead. The promo pics for next weeks Scandal show him alive and recovering at Liv's. 

• Love 1

Jake isn't dead. The promo pics for next weeks Scandal show him alive and recovering at Liv's. 

Yep, I posted that this morning here. I don't know if that site is accurate at all to matter. I was just looking for it again to see the wording.

More useless speculation. The sides for the episode have someone with minimal brain activity, not dead. I wonder if we're getting a repeat of season 2's "Thanks for the Memories" with Holden McKee, the patient who wakes up after years:

Derek waking up months later, maybe after Amelia does surgery, and Meredith walks in, pregnant, just like Holden's wife did.

Derek waking up months later, maybe after Amelia does surgery, and Meredith walks in, pregnant, just like Holden's wife did.

I'm a bit fuzzy but didn't Holden's wife walk away from him then and later Holden died? I don't find that route any less depressing than just killing him off. Dragging it out would be worse wouldn't it?

I'm a bit fuzzy but didn't Holden's wife walk away from him then and later Holden died? I don't find that route any less depressing than just killing him off. Dragging it out would be worse wouldn't it

You're right. My assumption is that it's a call back to that, but that it turns out happier.

This may be shallow of me... but if Derek has to be injured in some way, could they PLEASE not mess up his hair?

• Love 3
BTW, have we seen Sofia at all this season?

Wasn't she on like two episodes ago?

This may be shallow of me... but if Derek has to be injured in some way, could they PLEASE not mess up his hair?

Oh, have it for sure. He's the only man with perfect hair after a shooting and a plane crash. No doubt that he'll have it as well this time.

• Love 2

More useless speculation. The sides for the episode have someone with minimal brain activity, not dead. I wonder if we're getting a repeat of season 2's "Thanks for the Memories" with Holden McKee, the patient who wakes up after years:

I don't remember the specifics of this storyline, but you may be on to something.  Here's how it can break out

Meredith finds out Derek was involved in an accident but is "fine" and at the hospital being checked out.  She arrives happy and in a good mood (see the promo pic w/ the kids) but by the time she gets to him he's lapsed into a coma or barely hanging on.  In the meantime she finds out she is pregnant, then we have the time jump and maybe Derek wakes up just in time for her to give birth in the season finale (too hopeful? yea probably).  

Wasn't it your theory also that the finale would tie into the season premiere?  I think this follows that as well, with the husband "missing" his family for x amount of time, while they go on living their lives.  

Next season Derek finally keeps his promise and becomes a stay at home dad (too fanfic-y?), allowing PD to take more time off next season.    

Ok, I'm really terrible at speculating so none of this will happen and I should probably just stop now.  

Next season Derek finally keeps his promise and becomes a stay at home dad (too fanfic-y?), allowing PD to take more time off next season.    

He'll be too busy consulting on the movie about his life story.  Just imagine somebody with Derek's life story gaining national attention for singlehandedly saving the lives of half a dozen accident victims only to fall into a coma and wake up just as his wife with the hostile uterus is giving birth to their third child. 

• Love 6

Just saw speculation on Twitter that Derek could be in a coma through the SF, wake up at the end of 11X24 but have Amnesia, then their entire season 12 story could be all about Meredith reminding HIM who SHE is every day. That would be sooo Shonda but that is going to piss me off so bad if it happens!

• Love 1

Just saw speculation on Twitter that Derek could be in a coma through the SF, wake up at the end of 11X24 but have Amnesia, then their entire season 12 story could be all about Meredith reminding HIM who SHE is every day.

If PD's not going to be on the show, I'd rather see Derek die than "cryogenically frozen" in some bad soap-opera-trope clusterfuck. Let him leave with a little dignity.

• Love 5

Just saw speculation on Twitter that Derek could be in a coma through the SF, wake up at the end of 11X24 but have Amnesia, then their entire season 12 story could be all about Meredith reminding HIM who SHE is every day. That would be sooo Shonda but that is going to piss me off so bad if it happens!

But don't you think it's a given that PD will need/want time off next season? At least as much, if not more, than this season? If that's the case then they need a storyline that is going to explain where he is next season. That's why I think it will be a coma. With amnesia, where would he be? In an institution or home by himself? That's not going to go over well.

They should have just kept him in DC.

• Love 3

It seems that maybe Jake is not dead. it seemed to be fake.

Buzzfeed revealed there are some leaked pictures of Scandal from the April 30 episode, and we see Jake in a bed

Edited by BoaGreys

Here are the sides

ICU – NIGHT – Dina enters and sees her husband lying in the bed. Turns to Edie. What happened? He arrived with multiple injuries. Hypotensive, flail chest and intra-abdominal bleeding. We stabilized him in the ER. Inserted a chest tube. Transfused him two units. There was no time for a CT, we had to intubate him and get him to the OR. It was there we found he had an epidural bleed. Despite our best efforts…your brother’s shown no sign of brain activity. For how long? Twelve hours.

They say no sign of brain activity. It's a brain dead I guess, so I don't think he could wake up one day

But maybe the diagnosis is wrong. I hope so

If David E. Kelley was writing this (my frame of reference for a writer with a bleak worldview), Derek would have amnesia, and Meredith would be caring for him in some kind of specialized care facility, as she did for her mother (full circle). On the last episode of the show, Derek would finally remember Meredith...just as she was showing the first signs of Alzheimer's.

But seriously, there are so many in-show markers pointing to Derek's death that I can only think of a few reasons why it might not happen:

1) ABC will fight this tooth and nail -- they know they will lose viewers and get backlash. They don't want one of their "faces of Grey's" to be gone for good.

2) Unless there's bad blood I don't know about...Dempsey seems to be on fairly good terms with Grey's -- to the point where he could make a Clooney-in-ER-like guest appearance on the series finale, so they would want to leave their options open for that. I don't think the show would do "ghost Derek" (since they haven't done that in years and...talk about a backlash), so it would keep the reason for his appearance grounded in "realism" (for this show, anyway).

3) Meredith a widow with two kids on a show so incredibly focused on romantic relationships. Either she becomes "dark and twisty Meredith with two kids" (and a series of short-lived flings?) or the show embarks on a serious romantic relationship for her, which will raise hell with the fanbase and put whatever unfortunate actor they choose in a massive uphill battle. I could see Meredith raising two kids on her own, but Grey's is almost incapable of showing someone who is not in a relationship.

It's why something like a coma or amnesia almost makes sense...practically, it keeps Meredith married, it keeps a sliver of hope open if Dempsey ever wanted to make a "realistic" guest appearance and it keeps ABC happy because one of the faces of their franchise has a character that isn't technically dead.

But...it's hard to ignore all those signs in the show saying otherwise.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 1