Type keyword(s) to search

Behind The Scenes: The Drama Behind the Drama

• Start Topic

(edited)

Also, and I don't know if this means anything or not, she's never killed off (in a violent way) a minority character on Grey's. All the horrifying deaths of the main or high profile guest casts haven't been minorities: George, Reed, Charles, Heather, Mark, Lexie, Derek.

I don't think it means anything.  The number of non-minority characters who have exited (and on the show itself) greatly outnumbers the number of minority characters. The only 2 minority characters I can think of who have left the show are Burke and Ross (long recurring guest stars or regulars who have left). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ross was a regular but had no more significance than Leah. They were both interns who came in the same year and both left the hospital to go work elsewhere. Equal exits. There was no disaster going on at the time of their exit and their status as characters probably would not have produced all that much shock value so finding a way to kill either of them off would have been useless.

Burke's exit was unplanned and written in after ABC wanted IW gone. IIRC, the final decision was made close the end (I'm not linking articles, go search yourself) and it probably was already written. I actually believe Shonda, (in this case at least) that the scene of Meredith helping Cristina out of her dress was planned as the final scene from the start. Cristina not walking down the aisle also tied into Meredith's storyline as Meredith dumped Derek at the church because Cristina didn't get the happily ever after. If Burke was stricken by flaming toilet seat falling from the sky (ha, I love Dead Like Me) then the issue of abandonment wouldn't have been triggered in Meredith, causing the breakup and the following season of the ridiculous sex & mockery. Obviously Burke would have returned after the wedding if IW wasn't fired but Burke dying vs. Burke leaving Cristina wouldn't have resulted in the same emotional triggers for either Meredith or Cristina.

Harrison's death on Scandal had nothing to do with Shonda and everything to do with his personal life. ABC fired him

And Shonda wrote his exit just as she wrote Derek's. Hasn't that been the main complaint, that Shonda killed off Derek instead of having him stay in DC, divorce, etc? She could have done the same with Harrison but she chose to kill off the character.  Also, ABC holds all actor's contracts so essentially they fire all the actors.  Since everyone doesn't watch Scandal - Henry Ian Cusick played Stephen Finch and left after season 1. He was not killed off and is not a minority.

Now let's look at the characters that have been named: George, Reed, Charles, Heather, Mark, Lexie, Derek.

George: Obviously Shonda and TRK had their problems. He was practically written out during season 5. Yes, he could have been written out by just going into the army. He could have had a heart attack, disease or anything other than being hit by a bus. As the first original character to leave his death did truly shock the audience. It was the first and (for anyone who didn't watch ER) a surprise. Adding to the surprise was that many were likely thinking Izzie would be the one to die and then it turned out to be George. 

Reed/Charles - They were written out during a shooting spree at the hospital. YMMV, but I would have found it fairly stupid if absolutely no one died during the episode. Alex and Derek were shot also but since those actors weren't departing they weren't the ones to die. Jackson is the only minority character of the 4 Mercy West doctors  (they had 2 exit just as later they had 2 of the 4 interns exit) and they had already began building him as a character so it was obvious (to me at least) that he was sticking around.

Mark/Lexie - They were written out during a plane crash. I supposed everyone could have miraculously survived but just like the shooting, I would have found that rather stupid. I guess they could have just had the pilot die and Arizona lose her leg and all others be just fine, even Derek who was sucked out the side of a plane as it was crashing, plummeted to the ground and had a piece of plane spear through his hand. 

I do not know the exact circumstance of why Chyler left but since she was leaving her dying in the plane crash made sense to me. Others may have died during contract disputes but she died during the finale since it was already decided Lexie was being written out. 

I have read a lot of accusations that Mark's exit was due to issues in Eric's personal life but have seen zero actual indication of this. Please direct me to any articles where ABC or Shonda have made these claims. Cast members past and present have tweeted to Eric about his show and even Patrick mentioned him in the EW interview. By all accounts Eric seems to have gotten along fine with his cast mates and there's nothing to indicate problems with either Shonda or ABC. Shonda gave a statement about Mark's death. It may or may not be believed by all but to me it fits - Eric returned for 2 episodes the following year to finish Mark's story and his new job was announced immediately after Mark's last episode. I loved Mark and miss the character but I see nothing hateful about him being written off or the way it was done.

Heather - Tina Majorino filmed a pilot which was picked up and she was leaving the show. Again, there was a disaster going on as she was being written out. It was bait and switch with who died. We saw Richard laying on the ground appearing to be dead then it was Heather who had died. Typical TV cliffhanger/resolution. Nothing all that creative but typical.

That leaves us with Derek which is clearly upsetting for people. IMO, the reasons for Patrick's exit are pure speculation at this time. There is he said/she said and unnamed sources but nothing definitive has been made available to the public. My personal view is that Patrick's race had nothing at all do due with the manner in which Derek was written out but YMMV.

Just my two cents. Now that this discussion has included accusations I personally find distasteful I'm out of this thread unless there is some new actual information.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 5

Also, ABC holds all actor's contracts so essentially they fire all the actors.

I think it's important to remember this part. Yes SR has a lot of power at the network, having a whole night of shows, so if she wanted to write out a character she would get a lot more say than a showrunner who isn't as successful. But if ABC had said "no Shonda, sort out your (alleged) problems with PD, he's the most valuable cast member!" then he's not going anywhere. She may or many not be unprofessional or vindictive in how she writes characters off, but she's not the person signing his pay check.

Personally, although he didn't go out in a stupid death scene Burke certainly went off in a cruel and cowardly way until last season. And KH's cruel, abrupt exit was mostly her own fault.

• Love 1

Also, and I don't know if this means anything or not, she's never killed off (in a violent way) a minority character on Grey's. All the horrifying deaths of the main or high profile guest casts haven't been minorities: George, Reed, Charles, Heather, Mark, Lexie, Derek.

I was on TWOP for years and moved over but never felt the need to post until I read this comment. This comment that i found gross and just foul. I get the anger and sadness over the loss of Derek but is this where we're at? accusing Shonda Rhimes of being a murderer of all white characters? Which is wrong by the way, Adele died ,had a rough sickness, had a rough death and no she wasn't a main character but she was a loooong running recurring character. As diverse as Greys is in terms of cast the simple math is there have been more white actors/characters on the show over the years then non white actors/characters leave the show for any number of reasons. I think the death of those characters is a reflection of that math and not a vendetta against white characters/actors. Shonda loved Columbus Short and while ABC ended his contact she opted to kill him, point blank she had any number of ways to get rid of him but she opted for a shooting.

This was hands down one of the grossest things i have read on a greys forum.

Edited by noname1
  • Love 3

I think this is another huge stretch of trying to find something where there might not be anything. I saw a post on tumblr saying that people were upset about Derek's death because he was the best good looking caucasian there. I thought that was stupid and certainly don't believe race is influenced in any way in the fate of the character. I would like at least to believe that. 

I will take pennben's cue of not discussing it any further. 

That Ausiello stuff, to me, says ABC wanted to get rid of him. 'contracts are made to be broken" etc.

I think his huge ego finally did him in. I recall the articles about his divorce, and that is one thing, they all made note of...that his wife was fed up with his big ego and had enough of the cheating, going back for years. With all the racing and the new developmental deal, maybe he thought he was bigger than the show. We know Shonda ain't having that.  She is the Sun.

Page Six, is that you?

This doesn't mean that ABC wanted to get rid of him, this just means that contracts can be broken, as with everything. Who knows how much ABC fought for him to stay or not. Perhaps this was Shonda saying "either he goes or I'm...outish?" and obviously Shondaland as a whole brings more revenue than PD himself. Or that Shonda found herself in a crossroads (no pun intended) and really was like "I need to kill Derek or this show won't go on further 'cause I'm out of ideas." and ABC was like...we want GA for longer, so later Patrick. Contracts have been broken multiple times. Given that ABC did want to retain him (as by the time he was dismissed, his deals weren't going with him), I'm guessing ABC did this somewhat relunctantly. 

Oh yes, the huge ego thing. When it comes to divorce gossip, I am always skeptical as whoever is the one being attacked, might be for a malice purpose, may it be take the custody away from the parent or have more money in the divorce settlement by attacking the public persona. Patrick stupidly (I adore the man but this was stupid) did not sign a prenup, so connect the dots there. 

As for the cheating, dude, come on. Unless PD was paying prostitutes for Senators and himself and getting off taxes for that while funding a terrorist organization, I really don't believe this influences anything with the show. I have absolutely no idea what does the cheating/alleged cheating have to do with the show and why he was fired. Does ABC have a "don't put your man parts into someone else" policy? I mean, what the hell. There is no proof or even rumors about it, and even if he did, what? Does he have to go "I did not have sexual relations with that woman?"

As for the latter, if SR felt "threatened" by PD's career, then she needs a shrink, not to fire him because of that. This doesn't make sense at all. 

Also, I think the accusation that PD's personal life and past (very past) doings is the reason or influences how Shondaland and ABC choose to proceed as very tacky. Unless that translated into actual work issues, it's just awful gossip. So I'll leave it there to not fuel the fire. 

Edited by AnitaM86
  • Love 4

I was on TWOP for years and moved over but never felt the need to post until I read this comment. This comment that i found gross and just foul. I get the anger and sadness over the loss of Derek but is this where we're at? accusing Shonda Rhimes of being a murderer of all white characters? Which is wrong by the way, Adele died ,had a rough sickness, had a rough death and no she wasn't a main character but she was a loooong running recurring character. As diverse as Greys is in terms of cast the simple math is there have been more white actors/characters on the show over the years then non white actors/characters leave the show for any number of reasons. I think the death of those characters is a reflection of that math and not a vendetta against white characters/actors. Shonda loved Columbus Short and while ABC ended his contact she opted to kill him, point blank she had any number of ways to get rid of him but she opted for a shooting.

This was hands down one of the grossest things i have read on a greys forum.

I wrote what I wrote as a statement of fact, and specifically said I don't think people of color can be racist. Where your head or anyone else takes it is on you, not on me. The fact is that the GRIESOME deaths have not been people of color. Shonda said she could not even shoot Bailey. I have no idea why. Do I think she's racist? Nope, already said that.

That's all I will say, because I have no more fucks to give.

Edited by LakeLover
  • Love 1

GRIESOME deaths have not been people of color

I'm assuming you mean gruesome: And i recall Adele's illness was pretty gruesome in that is was horribly debilitating and her death while not a shot to the head like Reese and a car crash like Derek and George was pretty gruesome.

I'm sorry Patrick left and Derek dies and now you're all enraged but your fact was an opinion on what yo view to be gruesome not a fact. For someone with no fucks to give you are all over this forum giving fucks.

Edited by noname1
  • Love 1

1) Adele, like Ellis and other characters, died of diseases and natural deaths. Yes, I meant gruesome as I wrote previously, good assumption.

2) Evidently, being shot in the head, electrocuted, hit by a truck, and hit by a bus are not gruesome to you. They are to me.

3) Do you know me to say I'm enraged? I'm not.

4) For someone who posted for the first time today, you seem very passionate about this subject. Carry on.

1) Adele, like Ellis and other characters, died of diseases and natural deaths. Yes, I meant gruesome as I wrote previously, good assumption.

2) Evidently, being shot in the head, electrocuted, hit by a truck, and hit by a bus are not gruesome to you. They are to me.

3) Do you know me to say I'm enraged? I'm not.

4) For someone who posted for the first time today, you seem very passionate about this subject. Carry on.

1. you wrote Griesome

2. Adele's death the day of Baileys wedding pretty hard to watch

never said those death weren't gruesome they were gruesome in a different way.

3. I don't know you but you've been ranting and ranting for a week so yeah enraged.

4. As i said this was the first time i decided to post but Ive been on this forum and TWOP for years before I'm not new.

Don't tell me to carry on, don't tell anyone what they can and cant do

Page Six, is that you?

This doesn't mean that ABC wanted to get rid of him, this just means that contracts can be broken, as with everything. Who knows how much ABC fought for him to stay or not. Perhaps this was Shonda saying "either he goes or I'm...outish?" and obviously Shondaland as a whole brings more revenue than PD himself. Or that Shonda found herself in a crossroads (no pun intended) and really was like "I need to kill Derek or this show won't go on further 'cause I'm out of ideas." and ABC was like...we want GA for longer, so later Patrick. Contracts have been broken multiple times. Given that ABC did want to retain him (as by the time he was dismissed, his deals weren't going with him), I'm guessing ABC did this somewhat relunctantly. 

Oh yes, the huge ego thing. When it comes to divorce gossip, I am always skeptical as whoever is the one being attacked, might be for a malice purpose, may it be take the custody away from the parent or have more money in the divorce settlement by attacking the public persona. Patrick stupidly (I adore the man but this was stupid) did not sign a prenup, so connect the dots there. 

As for the cheating, dude, come on. Unless PD was paying prostitutes for Senators and himself and getting off taxes for that while funding a terrorist organization, I really don't believe this influences anything with the show. I have absolutely no idea what does the cheating/alleged cheating have to do with the show and why he was fired. Does ABC have a "don't put your man parts into someone else" policy? I mean, what the hell. There is no proof or even rumors about it, and even if he did, what? Does he have to go "I did not have sexual relations with that woman?"

As for the latter, if SR felt "threatened" by PD's career, then she needs a shrink, not to fire him because of that. This doesn't make sense at all. 

Also, I think the accusation that PD's personal life and past (very past) doings is the reason or influences how Shondaland and ABC choose to proceed as very tacky. Unless that translated into actual work issues, it's just awful gossip. So I'll leave it there to not fuel the fire. 

Burning down someone's comment, then saying you won't fuel the fire...lol   accusing someone of being a shill?   Check yourself. 

Don't take it so personally. It was an opinion, an informed one, not an emotional one. 

If you take the time to google, and actually get some information to back up your comments, instead of being a bleeding heart, you may be open to real conversation. 

• Love 1

1. you wrote Griesome

2. Adele's death the day of Baileys wedding pretty hard to watch

never said those death weren't gruesome they were gruesome in a different way.

3. I don't know you but you've been ranting and ranting for a week so yeah enraged.

4. As i said this was the first time i decided to post but Ive been on this forum and TWOP for years before I'm not new.

Don't tell me to carry on, don't tell anyone what they can and cant do

Okay, don't carry on?

Yes, typed " griesome", just as you wrote "never said those death" instead of "deaths" but I figured it out, and you were smart enough to figure out what I meant to type.

Hey ya'll!  Your friendly Grey's Lead Mod here ...

Like most, I have been having a hard time with all the conflicting information and the emotional upheaval that last week’s episode brought to our nice and usually quiet little corner of PTVland. I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised that we had all been so civil with the resulting drama that has erupted because of it.

However, please remember to keep it that way...  It seems to have gotten a little heated in here yesterday, and even though things have since calmed down, I wanted to remind you all to snark on the show, not each other.

Thanks & Carry on!

• Love 9
I have read a lot of accusations that Mark's exit was due to issues in Eric's personal life but have seen zero actual indication of this. Please direct me to any articles where ABC or Shonda have made these claims.

You won't find them anywhere, just as you won't find ABC or the LOST showrunners saying Michelle Rodriguez was fired for a DUI. You won't find ABC or Shonda saying Columbus Short was fired because of domestic abuse charges. The Eric Dane gossip was there (he and his wife were into drugs, I think and kinky sex stuff). If it made the gossip pages, ABC knew about it. Since Mark survived the plane crash for all intents and purposes was fine at the end of season 7, and then had a summer where he and his wife made the gossip pages for drugs and kinky sex stuff, to me it's reasonable to assume ABC fired him (given their history of firing people for basically an unwritten "morals clause", because: Disney?). He was the first person to re-up his contract and suddenly he changes his mind? Makes no sense.

I have no doubt that the cast members and perhaps even Shonda were friendly with him -- as his extracurricular activities perhaps did not impact his work ethic or the fact that he was a nice guy. But his extracurricular activities did impact his employer, for whatever reason, so he got (in the words of this site) the Size Nines out the door.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 1
The Eric Dane gossip was there (he and his wife were into drugs, I think and kinky sex stuff). If it made the gossip pages, ABC knew about it. Since Mark survived the plane crash for all intents and purposes was fine at the end of season 7, and then had a summer where he and his wife made the gossip pages for drugs and kinky sex stuff, to me it's reasonable to assume ABC fired him (given their history of firing people for basically an unwritten "morals clause", because: Disney?). He was the first person to re-up his contract and suddenly he changes his mind? Makes no sense.

Eric Dane's sex tape was in 2009. Eric Dane exited the show in 2012.

So, ABC's "moral clause" takes 3 years to fire an actor?  I cannot fathom how that would be the case from a strictly human resources/business perspective. If an employee was in violation of their contract and/or policies and procedures set by Disney they would be released from their contract immediately. There would never be a 3 year grace period or negotiation. The dates and manner in which Eric left the show in no way support the opinion that he was fired due to the sex tape.

I'm not sure we will ever know what happened with Patrick being fired but there may be some more information that comes out after the season ends. Time will tell.

Edited by maasa
  • Love 4

It's always hard when actors we're fans of are subject to intense speculation, some of it very negative but most of the gossip sites are just copying and pasting like they do for any other "scandal" they don't care either way what they're writing about him specifically. It can't be pleasant for anyone involved but they've all weathered shitstorms before.

I doubt cheating would get him fired, otherwise probably a lot of shows would lose cast members all the time, unless it caused problems on set (purely hypothetical example a co-star which blew up or an intern etc). It's possible his breaking down marriage caused problems on set (lateness, OTT dickish-ness, further demands for extra time off that made it more viable to terminate his contract than work around him.) Or by some irrevocable break down in communication/mutually workable schedule. SR doesn't always make choices that make sense on the show, to put it mildly, but I don't think either she or ABC would make this decision lightly. If it bites them in the ratings beyond year to year falling then they've made their bed whilst PD has new roles in development. If it doesn't affect them much, well it gives the showrunners the advantage because it shows there's no such thing as irreplaceable.

I think ED went out mutually, especially as he had a leading role lined up immediately after, which is much bigger than his 5 minutes a week on GA.

• Love 2

That Ausiello stuff, to me, says ABC wanted to get rid of him. 'contracts are made to be broken" etc.

I think his huge ego finally did him in. I recall the articles about his divorce, and that is one thing, they all made note of...that his wife was fed up with his big ego and had enough of the cheating, going back for years. With all the racing and the new developmental deal, maybe he thought he was bigger than the show. We know Shonda ain't having that.  She is the Sun.

Talk about out of nowhere slander. Everything in the tabloids is not the truth and this so-called cheating wasn't even in the tabloids. If we're going with google then you'd see that Dempsey and his wife are seen together with their kids sports matches still and left together. But you must know about his hears of cheating more than her.

• Love 2

I am super supried shondra has not said anything about it. There is something major we are missing. I mean she was able to kill mcdreamy. Why is she not saying I did it cause I could. Like she did after George. Why is she not letting the cast talk. I am truly thinking its not just PD that was mad about Derek but maybe the cast wasn't happy eighter

I always thought Shonda was told to cut her budgets during the summer of 2012 which is why Eric Dane left because they saw him as the most expendable. I could have sworn I read it on tvline or the twop forum. I'm pretty sure Tim Daly left PP for the same reason.

Ah, PTV ate my post!

Even with private couples divorce an get ugly, throw in tabloids and firings and you have liquid oxygen, anything they claim outside out a court of law I'm not going to pay attention to, but I do hope they are co-parenting reasonably and can be civil in the long ru. It's not hard to think that the shift from "washed up" to TV A lister is a shock to any family, they seem to have coped but maybe it was a cumulative effect, maybe it was suddenly all too much. The fact that the divorce papers and "firing" from Grey's were so close together does make me wonder if or how they were connected.

The fact that no one in the cast tweeted "good night and good luck McDreamy" really does lead me to think that either there was such a big breakdown that they collectively didn't want to or that ABC forbade it. I understand actors not wanting to wade into the current mess, but a standard "Good luck, McDreamy" from a cast member wasn't going to get hate mail as the ep aired (supposedly). Even if the cast was upset that he got fired you might have expected more response. There was more cast response to Heigl leaving them high and dry than PD. As has been said, Shonda has not given her customary "teehhee I killed them" interview, which I don't think can be entirely attributed to "Derek was very popular" (even though that is a consideration). It' a little weird.

I always thought Shonda was told to cut her budgets during the summer of 2012 which is why Eric Dane left because they saw him as the most expendable. I could have sworn I read it on tvline or the twop forum. I'm pretty sure Tim Daly left PP for the same reason.

I think I remember that story, I think several ABC shows where told the same which resulted in a handful of shake ups. Not sure what CL's leaving story actually was, but it might well have Truly been about being with her 3 kids and it would make sense for Mark to leave with her as he was just rerunning his storyline. He got a lead and then last ear so did she, so they're both doing well for themselves.

Edited by Featherhat
Hmmmm... Shonda is, I believe, making a statement on twitter without making a statement:

She, like all of us, enjoys those Buzzfeed lists. Guilty as charged, I love those lists. 

Good, I guess?

• Love 4

You guys are probably right, I perhaps overthought that she spoke of Christina when folks were hounding her to hear about McDreamy/Dempsey. 

I too love those Buzzfeed lists.  My bad.

You guys are probably right, I perhaps overthought that she spoke of Christina when folks were hounding her to hear about McDreamy/Dempsey.

No, I agree with you, pennben -- not only are the lists about Cristina, but all her witticisms -- some of which could very well be interpreted as advice to fandom ("He is not the sun, you are" was in there, as well as other Cristina-isms about valuing brains over [dreamy?] "beauty"). I think it was mostly coincidental, with a splash of "Now this is a real great character" and "Listen to Cristina and get over yourselves" thrown in. Just a splash. For flavor.

It sort of made me chuckle, because I'm thinking Shonda can post all the list-icles rhapsodizing Cristina and (indirectly) referencing her wonderful relationship with Meredith, and I still can't see Sandra Oh coming back for anything short of the series finale. Oops.

(edited)

Well, this is the woman who wrote about the Land of Passive/Aggressiva.  I thought I saw something there, but many didn't.  Who knows. The majority could still be right that it was nothing other than something that amused Rhimes this week (in a sea of what I think must be many things that did not).

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2

Now this is a statement:

JESS ‏@Quin_JESS 12h12 hours ago

According to @shondarhimes "Don't tweet me ur craziness", I just have to ask, why did you let Dr Yang n Derek Shepard go? They were fun

shonda rhimes ‏@shondarhimes 2m2 minutes ago

Um @Quin_JESS Because human beings AREN'T property and I can't keep them as hostages.  You know that right?

So, the party line seems to be "They both wanted to leave." Seems more like the letter, not the spirit, of the law for Dempsey, but certainly true for Oh.

"It sort of made me chuckle, because I'm thinking Shonda can post all the list-icles rhapsodizing Cristina and (indirectly) referencing her wonderful relationship with Meredith, and I still can't see Sandra Oh coming back for anything short of the series finale. Oops."

Sandra chose to leave the show Cristina was given clear exit I don't think shonda is hoping and wishing she comes back she knew the actress felt getting was done.

But those motivation posters were not all tied to Meredith they were just some of Cristina's great lines which were often feminist statements and shines is a proud feminist.

Sometimes a list'icle is just a list'icle

(edited)

Now this is a statement:

JESS ‏@Quin_JESS 12h12 hours ago

According to @shondarhimes "Don't tweet me ur craziness", I just have to ask, why did you let Dr Yang n Derek Shepard go? They were fun

shonda rhimes ‏@shondarhimes 2m2 minutes ago

Um @Quin_JESS Because human beings AREN'T property and I can't keep them as hostages.  You know that right?

So, the party line seems to be "They both wanted to leave." Seems more like the letter, not the spirit, of the law for Dempsey, but certainly true for Oh.

Interesting spin. So she blames him for wanting to leave, while he stated he would have stayed (also, lynette rice, the interviewer, wrote a tweet that confirmed that, then deleted it). Can't wait for more (passive-aggressive) tweets from Shonda.

Edited by Elle8
  • Love 1

That tweet deserves a face palm. She needs to try harder because so far, it isn't working.

Well, this is the woman who wrote about the Land of Passive/Aggressiva.

She is the Queen of Passive/Agressiva. Khaleesi, if we are feeling all GoT for being Sunday. ;)

I thought I saw something there, but many didn't.  Who knows.

I didn't think so because she has always had a bias for Cristina. She said she has seen herself in Cristina and what not. I felt the second tweet of "hostages" was more of finding there there than this. At least she hasn't taken the "How Would You Die on GA" quiz. I got the damn ferryboat. 

• Love 1
(edited)

So, I went back and looked at the dates, and when Patrick missed the Sebring race, it was pretty much to film his death episode. I'm pretty much over whose "fault" it was, but I still feel so bad for Patrick as he seemed give 100% effort and really took it seriously even though he knew it was his final episode. Could he have pulled a Heigel and just stopped showing up or half assing those scenes? Of course, but he didn't. And still, not one of his long time cast members/crew/Shonda, etc could muster a well wishing tweet? That's a bunch of crap.

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 4

So, I went back and looked at the dates, and when Patrick missed the Sebring race, it was pretty much to film his death episode. I'm pretty much over whose "fault" it was, but I still feel so bad for Patrick as he seemed give 100% effort and really took it seriously even though he knew it was his final episode. Could he have pulled a Heigel and just stopped showing up or half assing those scenes? Of course, but he didn't. And still, not one of his long time cast members/crew/Shonda, etc could muster a well wishing tweet? That's a bunch of crap.

Kevin Mckidd wished him well and it was a nice tweet at that

So did Kelly. 

What was odd is that KMK tweeted PD's racing Twitter account. I genuinely thought it was an honest mistake but give how things are going in terms of secrecy, who knows. 

• Love 1

Only Kevin and Kelly did that. Everybody else (both cast and crew) just posted old backstage pics or tweeted things about moving on, trust the journey, or asked the fans to say calm and keep watching. Those who made official statements, like Chandra and Shonda, made formal thoughts about the character, not the actor. Ellen instead just talked about the next chapter in the life of Meredith. 

• Love 2

Yes, as AnitaM86 and Elle8 just said it's been established that both Kelly and Kevin wished him well. I am talking about the original cast and crew who have worked with him for 11 years. Plus the other 75 million cast members who tweeted for weeks and days about the episode but couldn't manage (or weren't allowed) to thank him or wish him well.

• Love 1
(edited)

Only Kevin and Kelly did that. Everybody else (both cast and crew) just posted old backstage pics or tweeted things about moving on, trust the journey, or asked the fans to say calm and keep watching. Those who made official statements, like Chandra and Shonda, made formal thoughts about the character, not the actor. Ellen instead just talked about the next chapter in the life of Meredith.

I know that just two tweeted well wishes but that is two, the person above stated that not one cast members did

"Of course, but he didn't. And still, not one of his long time cast members/crew/Shonda, etc could muster a well wishing tweet? That's a bunch of crap. "

Which is wrong because two did. And the end of the day no one is obligated to. They might have no interest-may want to stay impartial or heck they may think he's an asshole and didn't want to.

Edited by noname1
(edited)

Or they said their goodbyes and well wishes privately, as most people do.

They probably did, and of course what it's private it's meant to stay private, but at least Ellen could have said something more meaningful to the fans, as his costar for eleven years. Instead she wrote that tweet about the dealing with loss and exploring a new chapter for Meredith, basically asking to keep watching. And they didnt throw a party, which would mean nothing if the crew didn't publish a photo of a cake with the phrase "where is Derek shepherd?" To celebrate the storyline. That was rude. I'm trying to say that they all are giving the impression that they can't talk about his departure, and not for a privacy matter.

Edited by Elle8
  • Love 5
(edited)

I remember during the 200th episode press they asked a bunch of Grey's actors who they hung out with most outside of the set and none said Patrick. To be fair I don't think Jessica was mentioned either or Camilla. Justin pretty much named all the originals except Chandra, Patrick and Isaiah. A bunch of them did say Sandra plus didn't she buy presents for the entire cast and crew when she left?

Edited by choclatechip45

I don't hang out with all my coworkers, but if someone leaves, usually everyone participate with a little gift and we organize a little goodbye party. It's not about being buddies, it's about politeness. I'm not saying that cast and crew are all bad and PD is a saint, we don't know what happened, i'm stating that they can't hide using the excuse of privacy; it's the policy ABC/SR choose to deal with his departure. And it backfired.

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't think it's really a big deal. The cast and crew has long hours plus most of the cast was on location or taping the finale when the episode aired. If I were a cast member and said my goodbyes to Patrick I don't see any need to tweet them so the fans can see them. I think
People are making a big deal out of every little thing that consists of Patrick leaving. The only way I can understand someone tweeting something to a co worker is if they are close outside the set.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 3

My two cents:

The cast (hopefully) did say their goodbyes in private. Given how it seems the news was broken to him (by surprise) and to the cast (by Shonda, not by him and we don't know if he was present), it does seem odd that they couldn't at least say a public goodbye. For better or worse, PD was more well known and people noticed. I don't think that a full year of goodbye was necessary as it would've blown up (for lack of better word) the surprise of his departure but at least a 140 character best wishes and done. It wasn't that hard. Hell, for the love of posts it: just write one and have all the cast sign it. Easy and cheap!

I know this comparison keeps getting in (and probably is getting annoying) but it's the best one to make: when Will Gardner died, Josh Charles & The Kings made a YT video and wrote to the fans to explain the why of the departure (so far, we only got PD's) and Julianna + cast spoke about it. It was a nice touch for us the fans to see that happening. This is not how Shondaland works, and ok, but it's noticeable and but there's a way to handle this in a better way and not have a constant black cloud like the one ABC's PR has over their head. It's doable! 

I remember during the 200th episode press they asked a bunch of Grey's actors who they hung out with most outside of the set and none said Patrick.

And this means, what? Many of the cast and crew have consistently tweeted that working with Patrick was always fun and he was a fun guy. Many people don't hang out with their co-workers. This generally means nothing. I like mine but I definitely don't want to hang out with them.

it's the policy ABC/SR choose to deal with his departure. And it backfired.

It's obvious. Why? We will never know but it's almost shameful how bad they've handled it. Whatever, it's amusing to see. 

• Love 1
(edited)

"

I know this comparison keeps getting in (and probably is getting annoying) but it's the best one to make: when Will Gardner died, Josh Charles & The Kings made a YT video and wrote to the fans to explain the why of the departure (so far, we only got PD's) and Julianna + cast spoke about it. It was a nice touch for us the fans to see that happening. This is not how Shondaland works, and ok, but it's noticeable and but there's a way to handle this in a better way and not have a constant black cloud like the one ABC's PR has over their head. It's doable! "

I think it's definetly doable but I think what happened here that makes it different from the good wife, anthony edwards , George cloooney and Noah Wiley's ER , Sandra oh exits et all is that Patrick was let go. While we don't know why we do know that it happened and that it was a seemingly not amicable parting (between show runner and actor) I think that is why this is a no cast party and or promo campaign like Sandra oh's "says goodbye to one of your favorites countdown ". When someone gets fired they don't generally throw parties. I imagine it was different when chyler and Eric were written off Chyler asked to be let go and Erucs was a budgetary decision.

Edited by noname1
  • Love 1

And this means, what? Many of the cast and crew have consistently tweeted that working with Patrick was always fun and he was a fun guy. Many people don't hang out with their co-workers. This generally means nothing. I like mine but I definitely don't want to hang out with them.

To me it means Patrick wasn't all that close with his co-workers which isn't a big deal, but people keep comparing it to Sandra who was clearly close with her co-stars outside the set. I've said this before I think it makes sense Patrick wasn't all that close he had a family when Grey's started, a movie career in the early seasons and his racing career. I don't blame the guy for not being close with his co-stars, but I also don't except his co stars to publicly wish him well on Twitter like the fans do. Like you said most people don't want to hang out with their co workers. So why should we except his co workers to tweet him public goodbyes?

• Love 1
I think that is why this is a no cast party and or promo campaign like Sandra oh's "says goodbye to one of your favorites countdown ". When someone gets fired they don't generally throw parties.

I think that it was more about not spoiling Derek's fate, which makes sense. As for a party, I don't believe he would've even attended that, given his current problems. I just made the point of being able to make a goodbye without resentment. 

So why should we except his co workers to tweet him public goodbyes?

Because many of them worked for 10 years with him? It's a common courtesy, not very hard to do. Most of the SO's goodbyes were done by the press (i.e. interviews with the cast by press), which couldn't been done this case prior for the obvious reason that it would've been a spoiler. But was it very hard to send public good wishes for your co-worker of 10 years? Apparently so. 

(edited)

I guess I don't see the big deal since most of the cast hasn't been around since the beginning and the ones who have probably have a good reason they decided not too say anything especially since someone like Justin has been very public with his support of Katherine. Do we really think someone like Camilla or Jerrika has had much interaction with Patrick?

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1

Not everyone puts a ridiculous amount of importance on who they tweet, when or why or how.

Maybe they didn't tweet about him because they're more concerned with, I don't know, the economy, the weather, Istanbul? I have a feeling not one of those actors imagined that people would dissect whether or not they tweeted Patrick Dempsey.

Is the theory that they didn't tweet about/to him because of a Shonda Rhimes mandate? I can't believe she'd have the time or inclination to do such a thing. The woman runs a mini empire.

• Love 5
(edited)

I read some discussion on tumblr that Patrick had a falling out with his ex-racing partners. Add the articles that claimed his wife wanted a divorce because his ego was out of control and now whatever happened with Grey's. That is 3 relationships that have ended with 2 (not sure about racing since I don't follow any of it) having sources that reference his ego as coming into play. I know that some fans believe Shonda plants anything negative but these are all completely different relationships that all seemed to sour fairly recently (by reports).

I don't get the obsession with public goodbyes. 

Edited by maasa
  • Love 7