Type keyword(s) to search

Behind The Scenes: The Drama Behind the Drama

• Start Topic

Its really the "I'd rather be racing" that began giving him somewhat of a negative image (for lack of better wording).

I agree this probably goes down really badly in Hollywood. Not a lot of sportscar racing fans, and so many unemployed/underemployed actors who would kill to have his job. (Probably among the GA cast as well... which, in itself would be enough to generate the "diva" rumors.)

I always though it made him more interesting, because I find actors talking about acting the most boring thing in the world. But YMMV.

I was looking through some articles from the Fall and this one mentions Ellen & Patrick being signed on for a pre-planned Season 13. http://www.usmagazin...anatomy-2014119

Surely that reference to S13 must have been an error or typo? That seems odd. But she doesn't sound like someone who intends to stay with the show after 12 seasons. And she doesn't sound any more in love with doing the job than PD.

"For the place I am in my life… I don't necessarily want to work for other people." I'm surprised no one tried to paint that as a veiled criticism of Shonda.

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 1

That feels like the reporter messed up the seasons in the article.  It was an article just prior to the first episode of this season, Season 11. So, when the article references the "upcoming" season 12 and season 13, I really think it was talking about season 11 and season 12.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2
(edited)
I agree this probably goes down really badly in Hollywood. Not a lot of sportscar racing fans, and so many unemployed/underemployed actors who would kill to have his job. (Probably among the GA cast as well... which, in itself would be enough to generate the "diva" rumors.)

I meant with the audience who reads the interviews and with Shonda/producers. I can see unemployed actors. There may have been times when it may have been irritating for the crew/cast to have to work around his schedule but most of his scenes were with Ellen the past couple of seasons. And by media accounts they seem to be on good terms.  

I really want to know what was going on. Tell all book needs to hurry.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

I really want to know what was going on. Tell all book needs to hurry.

PD has a race in Belgium next weekend. I chuckle at the thought of the entertainment reporters fighting with the sports reporters over who gets to interview him.

• Love 3

You know, if THIS MANY actors are "difficult" and need to leave the show, perhaps one should look at the common thread - Shonda.

^^^^^THIS. To Infinity And Beyond. I've read some articles, including at least one since Thursday, that say that the full context of Shonda's "No assholes" policy is that SHE is the only one allowed to be an asshole/diva.  IF and when I'm motivated to go back and look for the articles, I'll link to them.  It really sounds to me like Shonda needs to get over herself and stop burning bridges with actors.  If she's not smarter and more careful, SHE'S going to end up as just another Hollywood Has-Been.

• Love 5

I was talking about this with my friends earlier. And we all think that it's possible he wanted to leave to focus on racing but ABC offered him a 2 year deal with a certain amount of episodes so that he could do his racing as well. We all think Shonda didn't like that and decided to just kill him him off. From the EW interview We all got the impression he wasn't happy with what she did.

I don't think he would of signed the deal if he didn't expect to stay on for 2 years. I think if he didn't want to stay he just wouldn't of extended his contract just like Sandra Oh and just left. I don't buy the he was making a stink about racing. I'm sure his agents made sure it was included in his new contract.

Edited by SiobhanJW
  • Love 6
Couldn't that be referring to the fact that Derek dies (i.e., the episode script), not necessarily the decision to write PD out?

Does it matter? He was gone either way and I know that had Derek lived, there was the possibility of bringing him back, but I seriously doubt that she would if things were in fact difficult with SR. 

I don't think that it necessarily goes down really bad in Hollywood. I mean, many big time actors do have other strong passionate interests than acting and make it known that their interest does fulfill them in a better way than acting does not. I mean, that's fine. Maybe it's a social cause or maybe it's a sport. Regardless of it, PD is not the first one to really like something else better than acting. They know they cannot make a living as activists or in PD's case a racer, but they still do it. And Hollywood knows it. The thing is, you have to be good enough and have enough capital to be able to do and say this. I don't know if PD will ever return to TV (and I do hope he does) and it will be interesting to see how he handles that. I do believe that Hollywood is switching here to prefer the more than one interest as people tend to find them more interesting people. 

I do agree with windsprints that GA audience is less receptive to this. I think it was for the last year PCA Awards that those PD comments had just came out and people were furious with him on Twitter or Tumblr or some shit and say not to vote for him because he clearly doesn't love GA and is a bad actor and blah blah blah. It lasted like 20 minutes but it has certainly caused resentment in some fans.

It really sounds to me like Shonda needs to get over herself and stop burning bridges with actors.

I do wonder what the work environment is there because it seems to be an all in or out there. Either you think SR is a TV God that should be on a pedestal (like most of the Scandal crowd seems to be) or you disagree with her view and get blacklisted as an asshole (KH and now probably PD too). Does she really need all that admiration or what is it? How does the HR department measure that?

• Love 3

I was talking about this with my friends earlier. And we all think that it's possible he wanted to leave to focus on racing but ABC offered him a 2 year deal with a certain amount of episodes so that he could do his racing as well. We all think Shonda didn't like that and decided to just kill him him off. From the EW interview We all got the impression he wasn't happy with what she did.

I don't think he would of signed the deal if he didn't expect to stay on for 2 years. I think if he didn't want to stay he just wouldn't of extended his contract just like Sandra Oh and just left. I don't buy the he was making a stink about racing. I'm sure his agents made sure it was included in his new contract.

I agree with you that this is what happened. Shonda probably got tired of writing around his racing schedule and basically thought "you haven't committed to this fully so don't be on the show at all" and decided to kill him off. You have to remember it's not just this season but next as well. Even if Patrick wasn't kicked off Grey's and was returning next year, he'd be absent from the beginning of season 12 and throughout. Shonda and the writers were probably just frustrated trying to plan their stories around that. We know they're particularly irritable and I can picture her saying "f*ck this" instead of working to come up with a plausible way for his character to come and go like that. And it goes beyond season 12 too. I think everyone knows at this point that the show still has a lengthy future ahead of it (at least 3 more seasons) and it was unlikely that Patrick would sign another deal or two, and even if he did it'd be VERY expensive for ABC to keep him. So this was Shonda's solution and they supported it.

Regardless, that's why it's annoying when people still say "Patrick wanted to leave". He clearly didn't judging by his interview. He most likely had a written contract agreed to by him and ABC that allowed him that time away from the show and realistically Shonda just got annoyed when they actually had to sit down and plan plot, keeping his constant coming back/leaving in mind.

The funny and ironic thing is the DC plotline would've worked perfectly as a solution to this. He's doing important work there, he gets chunks of time off sometimes, etc. I don't know why but since it's introduction, they haven't treated that story as a possible exit strategy/less screentime strategy for both EP/PD but instead just an obstacle for MerDer to fight over.

• Love 4

And we all think that it's possible he wanted to leave to focus on racing but ABC offered him a 2 year deal with a certain amount of episodes so that he could do his racing as well. We all think Shonda didn't like that and decided to just kill him him off. From the EW interview We all got the impression he wasn't happy with what she did.

So, Dempsey wanted to leave the show, but then bravely and with great self-sacrifice agreed to stay on the show for two more years when the network offered him a salary as a regular, even though they didn't even make him commit to be present as a regular usually is. And then he was unhappy when the show runner decided that working around this mess wasn't tenable for the stories and characters who were committed to the show?  Quelle horreur!  How terribly awful for him.....

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2

So, Dempsey wanted to leave the show, but then bravely and with great self-sacrifice agreed to stay on the show for two more years when the network offered him a salary as a regular, even though they didn't even make him commit to be present as a regular usually is. And then he was unhappy when the show runner decided that working around this mess wasn't tenable for the stories and characters who were committed to the show?  Quelle horreur!  What sacrifice he made!

Wow, you're so funny.

The point is the contract was signed and both parties agreed to those terms at the time. It'd be completely different if during negotiations Shonda had told ABC "I don't think I'll be able to work around that" and they had decided not to pick up his contract. OR if she had waited until the end of season 12, another contract renegotiation year, and decided to off his character.

Sorry, but you guys can't b*tch all the time about how Katie Heigl was nasty for not showing up and not finishing out what she agreed to do, and then turn around and say what Shonda did by kicking Patrick off the show halfway through his contract wasn't just as awful. It's a two way street.

• Love 5

Wow, you're so funny.

Blushes, thank you, that is very nice. 

As for what I think really happened, my thoughts from several days ago:

My own personal speculation on the Dempsey "saga"  (again, based on nothing) is that he re-upped for two years with both sides agreeing that they would accommodate his racing.  My belief is that Dempsey's view of what "accommodating his racing" meant and what ABC/Shondaland production's view of what "accommodating his racing" meant became different once put into actual play during this past year.  Hence, here we are.

Also, as suggested by you below, I never discussed Heigl in this mess:

Sorry, but you guys can't b*tch all the time about how Katie Heigl was nasty for not showing up and not finishing out what she agreed to do, and then turn around and say what Shonda did by kicking Patrick off the show halfway through his contract wasn't just as awful

the thing about network contracts though, is that ABC/Shondaland almost assuredly had the right to dump Dempsey year to year, even though he signed a two year contract obligating his performance should the show last two years and his contract be picked up next year (just like Heigl could have been held to her contract, but it was easier to say "bye").

ETA:  I apologize for being snarky above.  I just honestly get tired of the notion that Dempsey has no responsibility in something that has gone awry. As someone put it concisely several pages ago:

I don't know what happened but I firmly believe something changed this season.

Anyway, did this really change the endgame for MerDer? I'm not so sure.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3
So, Dempsey wanted to leave the show, but then bravely and with great self-sacrifice agreed to stay on the show for two more years

If he wanted to leave, he would've either not signed or asked to be released from his contract. From the perspective you're providing, ABC would have had no problem with either. Yet he did sign and he didn't ask to be released from his contract. I don't believe you can count his "I rather be racing" comments as actual actions of leaving the show. So there is no proof that he wanted to leave the show. Unless you find those comments enough to believe that, which not even PD concreted into wanting to leave GA until SR wrote him out without him even being aware of. What changed ABC's mind is yet to be known but until SR gives a good explanation (rather than a generic statement) and PD has his eventual "tell-all" interview, the assumption he wanted to leave is just that: an assumption.

Sorry, but you guys can't b*tch all the time about how Katie Heigl was nasty for not showing up and not finishing out what she agreed to do, and then turn around and say what Shonda did by kicking Patrick off the show halfway through his contract wasn't just as awful

I think the KH and the PD situations are both very different and were handled very differently. KH did want to leave. She took the steps to leave. PD didn't. KH did seem to have more problems on set than PD did (at least that can be proven as true). SR did follow KH's wishes of not returning while didn't for PD. So I don't think that both situations are not comparable as both were met with very different circumstances and both were encountered with very different reactions. Granted, KH has said she'd love to return but she already burned the bridge down. 

It'd be completely different if during negotiations Shonda had told ABC "I don't think I'll be able to work around that" and they had decided not to pick up his contract. OR if she had waited until the end of season 12, another contract renegotiation year, and decided to off his character.

This is what I'm having most trouble with: ABC has gone along with it for a while and were willing to go with it for two more years. What changed? Has SR's creativity been sucked entirely by Scandal? This wasn't ABC's decision, clearly. I really want to know what changed but doubt we ever will. 

E! has to be working on this E! True Hollywood story already, right? 

Edited by AnitaM86
  • Love 5

I rarely post on here, but I just felt the need to say that I don't think there has to be a bad guy here.  Patrick Dempsey took a risk by asking for pretty heavy accommodations and he lost.  Such is life.  At least he stood up for his passion.  Shonda had a choice between coming up with reasons to have him off screen for chunks of time or killing him off.  Either choice would've been valid IMO.  She chose the latter.  Perhaps she just thinks it's a better story.  In fact, I tend to agree (though I didn't like the execution of the actual episode).

Maybe I'm wrong and Patrick is a diva or Shonda is the devil.  I just don't know that we have enough info to assume either is the whole truth.

Count me in as anxiously awaiting the Grey's tell-all though.  I think Shonda's perspective would be too one-sided to make a good book.  I vote for Ellen Pompeo, who seems to actually view all the drama pretty matter-of-factly and with a sense of humor.

• Love 9
I vote for Ellen Pompeo, who seems to actually view all the drama pretty matter-of-factly and with a sense of humor.

There is something humorous about this for me too, maybe because I'm not that emotionally attached to the show anymore.  Yes, Derek's death is tragic and might have been badly written, but the drama behind the scenes is best understood when you take very little of it seriously.  In the end, PD and SR are going to be fine.  They're rich and talented. SR has at least three shows on ABC with possibly more to come in the fall.  PD has another career that he's more passionate about and possibly other roles to play.  Other than the fans, I'd be surprised if anyone is really suffering. Can't help but feel that much of this is typical Hollywood ego tripping and fake drama.  It's a story perfect for E! or something like that.

• Love 4
(edited)

I sound clip of a portion of an interview with the woman who interviewed Patrick, her observations. 

https://m.soundcloud.com/ewradio/greys-anatomy-castmates-silence-speaks-volumes-to-patrick-dempsey-exit

What she says makes sense to me - it wasn't his choice to leave but things occurred that led up to it. I wish the whole interview was online.

I've never bitched about Katie Heigl. I do believe that Shonda can be awful,nasty, etc. and I think the episode was terrible. I just don't automatically believe that PD is perfect and played no part. I've said from the start of this that something must have happened for this to all come to be in season 11. 

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

I was talking about this with my friends earlier. And we all think that it's possible he wanted to leave to focus on racing but ABC offered him a 2 year deal with a certain amount of episodes so that he could do his racing as well. We all think Shonda didn't like that and decided to just kill him him off.

This makes sense... Shonda brought CS on board and I don't think that was just because she likes her. I think she was hoping PD wouldn't come back and CS could just replace him. Having two Dr. Shepherds (both brilliant neurosurgeons) always seemed silly to me.

But if EP really is leaving at the end of S12 (and they could have just sent Derek to DC), then there's no excuse for killing him, IMO. Why does she seem so pissed at PD, when it was ABC's decision to grant him the contract?

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 4
What she says makes sense to me - it wasn't his choice to leave but things occurred that led up to it. I wish the whole interview was online.

That snippet was interesting to listen to.  Too bad the entire thing isn't available as I'd love to hear what else she has to say.  If a series of things did happen to lead to this point, I actually think it's best for most of the cast to keep silent until the end of the season or more.  Things may not be what they seem, and no one is entitled to know anything.  No one has to tweet anything to calm down fans.  Let the chips fall where they may, let people accept or reject the remaining episodes, and then maybe we'll learn more. Who knows how messy this situation was or still is.

I'd love to find out but it's really none of my business and it might be smarter for the cast to keep their mouths shut for the foreseeable future. It seems that no one has ever been able to manage the Grey's Anatomy set.  So much drama for one show, so many divas, and perhaps not enough cool heads to keep things under control.  It's been that way since the TR and IW debacle and it keeps happening over and over again.

Edited by Betweenthisandthat

My take is that PD was a VERY important part of making ABC, Shonda and all the cast and crew of Grey's a pile of money over the past 11 years.  If he wanted out, he at least did his part by agreeing to a two-year contract with whatever accommodations for his racing hobby. ABC and Shonda should have done their part. If they didn't exactly owe it to him, they certainly owed it to the fans. 

• Love 7
That snippet was interesting to listen to.  Too bad the entire thing isn't available as I'd love to hear what else she has to say.  If a series of things did happen to lead to this point, I actually think it's best for most of the cast to keep silent until the end of the season or more.  Things may not be what they seem, and no one is entitled to know anything.  No one has to tweet anything to calm down fans.  Let the chips fall where they may, let people accept or reject the remaining episodes, and then maybe we'll learn more. Who knows how messy this situation was or still is.

There was also a tweet (which Lynette deleted) that said he would have definitely stayed. So my educated guess is that the series of things were mostly SR's and not brought up to PD, pushed ABC into a either/or and resulting in writing PD off. Of all the things that could be problematic for SR, racing is the most obvious (I still doubt the attitude reports). 

Sometimes they are what it seem. Things are still probably messy that they might need to regroup and define what's next. The silence seemed odd, to me, given how the cast has acted with prior departures.

Either way, I think it's not needed to repeat that the tell-all book and interviews will be so good.

• Love 3

Except that he stated clearly that he would have stayed. the journalist that interviewed him also confirmed it, then deleted the tweet. there are still a few screenshot of that. My guess is that something very big happened and both abc and shonda decided that the best way to resolve whatever the situation was, was killing derek and release patrick from his contract early. in addiction to that (bad) move, she also did it in a way that didn't fulfill anyone's tastes, both critics and public, with a few exceptions of course. My bet is that we'll never know why, abc is very powerful. And shonda has become that Godfather of TGIT. that's the only explanation i can give to the whole cast silence. Patrick and Ellen always said that they are good friends, so comfortable with each other, etc etc. either that changed in the last few months (and that would explain why he teared up talking about her in his interview), or she's been told by big bosses to shut up.

he at least did his part by agreeing to a two-year contract with whatever accommodations for his racing hobby. ABC and Shonda should have done their part.

It sounds like PD got caught in the middle of what was basically a dispute between ABC and Shonda. It could explain why ABC's statement on PD leaving was so much more gracious towards him than Shonda's.

• Love 7
It sounds like PD got caught in the middle of what was basically a dispute between ABC and Shonda. It could explain why ABC's statement on PD leaving was so much more gracious towards him than Shonda's.

This actually makes more sense. I think you have something here. 

• Love 1

Based on that clip it sounded like ABC has chosen Chandra as the spokesperson for the cast just like they chose Justin/Kate Walsh to do all the interviews during the Isiah incident in season 3.

I can see them providing a single cast "spokesperson" for the interview with EW, but when the IW incident happened, the cast weren't all on Twitter. Now most of them are. So their silence says something. In the absence of any information as to why, I think it makes them look classless. YMMV.

• Love 1

Patrick is continuing a relationship with ABC. Why would they be anything but positive.

I think  Patrick wanted to stay, but on his terms. ABC and or Shonda accommodated him for awhile until they couldn't accommodate him anymore. It made no sense to be paying him all that money for a part time actor.

There are thoughts that time away, (in DC) was a suspension? I don't know, but it is clear Shonda was fed up with it.

What confuses me is all the comments about Patrick making all the money for ABC, like he carried the show. He was part of the ensemble, and I think Sandra Oh was more important to the show that Patrick ever was. 

When the show first aired...people tuned in for all the positive reviews. It wasn't over a star studded cast.  Heigl attracted more attention than anyone. The majority of the cast was unknown, including Ellen...and Patrick's career was non existent.

If the show survived without Sandra, I don't think Patrick being gone will make much a difference. There is a faction that believes he was phoning it in last few seasons, and are glad he is gone. 

• Love 1
So my educated guess is that the series of things were mostly SR's and not brought up to PD, pushed ABC into a either/or and resulting in writing PD off.It sounds like PD got caught in the middle of what was basically a dispute between ABC and Shonda. It could explain why ABC's statement on PD leaving was so much more gracious towards him than Shonda's.

Based on the clip above I don't agree. The reporter who interviewed him said:

From what I've picked up there could have been a series of incidents. This is all rumor, ABC is confirming nothing, his people are confirming nothing. From what I understand, let's be honest <talks about Patrick being the big star from GA> at some point somebody's gotta get big for their britches.... what kind of co-workder does that make you? Are you an entitled kind of dude? How do you start to treat other people, boss other people around like you own the damn place?  There's a very good chance that's what happened here and it really got down to yeah, we can't take this anymore.

Clearly she is referring to Patrick and not Shonda becoming too big for their britches. And this is based on only interviewing Patrick and getting his side of the story. I hope she also is granted an interview by ABC or Shonda. I'd love to get her opinion after hearing both sides of the story but it probably won't happen.

How so? If Patrick became difficult, again from the clip, how is that between ABC and Shonda? I'm not seeing it and would love to hear why you think that (being 100% serious I would like to hear more on your point of view of this).

Except that he stated clearly that he would have stayed. the journalist that interviewed him also confirmed it, then deleted the tweet.

She said it in the clip too. There are people let go from jobs that wanted to stay all the time. However if a person is making a workplace difficult for everyone else sometimes the best choice is to cut them loose. We don't know the specifics but going by the clip I don't see how that can be totally ruled out.

The show will probably lose viewers for sure but it may not be as significant as some people are expecting. Even on twitter a large portion of "I'm never watching again" has turned to "I'll watch the end of the season".  

Edited by maasa

I still think, jmo of course, that the diva behaviour is a very weak and easy excuse. he worked there for eleven years, if he was a troublemaker, disrespectful or insubordinate guy, he wouldn't last that long on the show. and it wasn't the right time for him to leave, he just divorced without prenup (not our business of course, but i'm sure it has a weight in the matter, at least from his part). there were other kind of issues, and the diva thing is just a cover up. and i think that if he was fired to resolve whatever the problems were, now they have even bigger damages to fix. i'm not sure shonda discern being bold by overdo anymore (from a long time, if I may say).

• Love 3

Chyler never said she was leaving for her child, she was silent for weeks then finally gave in and gave a statement that just said earlier in the year she decided the season would be her last, and Shonda gave the character closure.

If dying by an airplane falling on her is closure,then ok. I always thought there was more to Chyler's exit but her statement was respectful and she hasn't said anything really since about Grey's. Just like Patrick's statement was classy but there's more to it.

• Love 3

We don't know the specifics but going by the clip I don't see how that can be totally ruled out.

My problem with this is that it's easy speculation (it doesn't sound any more evidence-based than that) given Shonda's reputation and history: yes, the world knows she doesn't put up with problem actors. In the absence of anyone speaking out, (and given the barely-cordial statement Shonda made, the nasty episode she wrote) it's the conclusion you're going to come to.

And I would have no problem with that, if it jibed with PD's history with show (and his reputation) and the fact that ABC renewed his contract just last year. And Shonda saying in October, "There are no Heigls here."

I still think she wanted him out for creative reasons: she wanted Derek gone. She'd rather be portrayed as a "tough" boss than the "MerDer" killer, and that really couldn't be discussed publicly anyway - too "spoilery." Plus, the publicity resulting from the speculation boosts ratings.

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 1
What confuses me is all the comments about Patrick making all the money for ABC, like he carried the show. He was part of the ensemble, and I think Sandra Oh was more important to the show that Patrick ever was.

ABC makes good money on marketing and promotion, Patrick did that considerably more than Sandra Oh did, despite that his role on the show was very limited and SO getting all the good material. It's not that Patrick carried that show but in terms of marketing and promotion, he did carry most of the GA weight. Sandra Oh didn't, at least in comparison to Patrick's. 

how is that between ABC and Shonda?

ABC didn't dismiss him. He still works there, technically. From the looks of it, ABC didn't have much of a problem with whatever Shonda's problem with Patrick was, that Patrick was unaware she was having and went to ABC with her decision.

How do you start to treat other people, boss other people around like you own the damn place?  There's a very good chance that's what happened here and it really got down to yeah, we can't take this anymore.

The odd part of it is that the crew never tweeted a bad thing about him. Not even silence. They all talked how about a great guy he is. Also, in terms of cast, most of his scenes were with Caterina and Ellen, and from the looks of it, he wasn't really having issues with them. So who did?

• Love 3

When the show first aired...people tuned in for all the positive reviews. It wasn't over a star studded cast.  Heigl attracted more attention than anyone. The majority of the cast was unknown, including Ellen...and Patrick's career was non existent.

If the show survived without Sandra, I don't think Patrick being gone will make much a difference. There is a faction that believes he was phoning it in last few seasons, and are glad he is gone.

I agree with this I remember when Grey's first appeared it was being marketed as the medical show with Sandra Oh and the only other person I ever heard of was Heigl. I think when the show blew up it was really Patrick and Heigl who individually blew up and got all the movie deals. While Heigl, Sandra, TR and Chandra were the ones who were getting award nominations.

It's all speculation. EW interviewed Patrick so they got his side of the story and I would imagine that, like anyone, he is going to want to be seen in the best light. The fact that ABC is willing to work with him again says a great deal about the situation, but the fact that the writer gets the impression that he may have become something of a distraction/problem on set is valid too, IMO.

As far as coworkers staying silent, I don't think that we are entitled to anything from any of them. Maybe they are being silenced by Shonda/ABC or maybe they are not all that upset that he is gone. Most likely, they are just so tired of having to deal with stupid bullshit backtage issues and just want it to be over and done with.

• Love 4
EW's Full, Unedited Q&A

This is the good stuff.

So, he angered people at ABC for the spoilers. He seems to not have requested those 6 episodes he was absent (which I sure thought he was), Shonda and Ellen are in a good place with him, racing schedule may have played a part.

From this, I guess SR wanted to simplify her life by not putting up with PD anymore and he may not have fought it, ABC still wants him although isn't that mad about him not being on the show.

This whole thing now seems like a mutual "I didn't ask for it but I'm not going to fight it" situation. Now it's SR's turn. 

I still sustain that the writing of his death was terrible and unnecessary.

• Love 7

So, he angered people at ABC for the spoilers. He seems to not have requested those 6 episodes he was absent

That makes sense. He said he'd be "leaving soon," and everyone outside the show thought he meant he wanted to leave. Instead he was leaking, because he didn't want to leave: a Fuck You to Shonda. So she benched him. Gotta say, I love it...

ETA: I think Shonda completely overreacted. And that was BEFORE she wrote such a horrible exit for him.

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 4

Sounds like it wasn't his decision to go, but he didn't fight wanting to stay either. He also seems to lean towards re-signing for 2 years may have been a wrong decision.

He and Ellen appear from his words really close.

• Love 2

So from the article we now have:

Patrick's relationship with ABC is good

Patrick's relationship with Shonda is good

Patrick's relationship with other actors is good

Patrick's relationship with Ellen is very good

Derek died because it was a natural progression

So, I guess the discussion no longer belongs in BTS drama since by this account there is none.

(edited)
So, he angered people at ABC for the spoilers

I don't get what spoilers he gave. In the interview he said that he considers leaving in 2 years soon and that was the comment that ABC got mad over.

You gave an interview last November to a newspaper in Maine suggesting that the end for Derek would come very soon. You had just signed a new contract. Why would you say that?

After 10 years, two years is a blink of the eye.

Did you anger folks at ABC and on the show for saying that?

Oh yeah, of course.

I clicked the original interview (the EW article had the link) and it said:

He said his departure from “Grey’s Anatomy” will happen “very soon,” but he’s not ready to announce details.

If he was talking about leaving after his contract than I honestly don't get why he would say something like he wasn't ready to announce details instead of simply saying something along the lines that he planned to finish his contract.

I feel bad that it couldn't be worked out for him to stay if that's what he truly wanted. If improper wording in an interview is the sole cause of all this its ridiculous that it could not be ironed out in a couple of conversations. They could have just had him issue a statement clarifying and everyone would have gone about their day.

I still sustain that the writing of his death was terrible and unnecessary.

Agree. The episode was awful all around.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 4

I feel bad that it couldn't be worked out for him to stay if that's what he truly wanted. If improper wording in an interview is the sole cause of all this its ridiculous that it could not be ironed out in a couple of conversations. They could have just had him issue a statement clarifying and everyone would have gone about their day.

I agree, Windsprints: it could easily have been brushed off with a "he misspoke" statement. That happens all the time. And that's why I think this really was a creative dispute that became personal, versus a personal dispute that resulted in a change to the character's arc. That is, Shonda wanted Derek to die in S11, PD (and ABC?) disagreed (he did have a contract, and maybe PD tried to play ABC against her or something) and that's when their relationship soured, not before. It would explain the "what changed?" and the timing of everything.

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 5

I agree, Windsprints: it could easily have been brushed off with a "he misspoke" statement. That happens all the time. And that's why I think this really was a creative dispute that became personal, versus a personal dispute that resulted in a change to the character's arc. That is, Shonda wanted Derek to die in S11, PD (and ABC?) disagreed (he did have a contract, and maybe PD tried to play ABC against her or something) and that's when their relationship soured, not before. It would explain the "what changed?" and the timing of everything.

May be. But God, if so, that woman is the queen of resentment. To the point of destroy her own "first-born" show. I can't image that this issue couldn't be solved in a more diplomatic way.

Edited by Elle8
  • Love 1

To the point of destroy her own "first-born" show.

I doubt she did that, but there's no question she let her resentment get the best of her in last week's episode.

She's entitled to creative control (and not to be second-guessed by her bosses, perhaps?) but PD's entitled to argue for his character and his job.

The rest is junior high school.

• Love 3

Well, she indeed created a very big buzz, with petitions, threats of not watching anymore and a lot of bad publicity. you're right, destroyed is not the right word and maybe she actually wanted to create all of this, but still, she damaged the show with no doubt. i don't care how long the show can resist after this, she ruined it irreversibly. i don't know how many deaths and jumps of the shark this show can bear anymore.

Edited by Elle8
  • Love 1

I realize that this was only Patrick's side of the story, but I hardly consider fighting for your contract and your character being a "diva," "too big for your britches," or "bossing people around."  I also agree with those who have commented about how much more gracious ABC's statement was than Shonda's statement was.  I think that, the track record of actors leaving the show, how the characters were written out, and articles stating the full context of Shonda's "No assholes" policy speaks volumes about who the real diva is: Almighty (in her not-so-humble opinion) Shonda.  Her self-aggrandizing tweets show that as well.

• Love 6
I don't get what spoilers he gave. In the interview he said that he considers leaving in 2 years soon and that was the comment that ABC got mad over.

Wasn't that he was going to "leave" soon and he disappeared for six episodes almost the week after? I thought that was what he was referring to but maybe I misunderstood.

This is so true. Such a shame, indeed.

That is, Shonda wanted Derek to die in S11, PD (and ABC?) disagreed (he did have a contract, and maybe PD tried to play ABC against her or something) and that's when their relationship soured, not before. It would explain the "what changed?" and the timing of everything.

Honestly, that'd be so petty from her but I don't expect better, given how she has handled prior departures. I do believe that PD didn't put that much of an effort at the end. I mean, he wanted to stay and would have stayed but maybe thought that  it wouldn't do him that much good to him or his character if he stayed with that sort of soured relationship. Who knows what ridiculous SL Shonda might've given him as a way of retribution. Derek decides to be a stylist? 

It's anyone's guess at this point. 

Edited by AnitaM86
  • Love 1

It's easy to see egos at work on both sides:

Shonda could have expected PD to support her story decision because of everything she's done for him (gave him the job, etc). I'm sure she would have promised him a glorious, heroic death for Derek (the exact opposite of what he got last week).

PD could have expected that Derek would be allowed to live (even if offscreen) and return for the occasional fan-service Merder nookie and EP's eventual exit because of how important Merder (and the Merder fans) have always been to the show.

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 5

Wasn't that he was going to "leave" soon and he disappeared for six episodes almost the week after? I thought that was what he was referring to but maybe I misunderstood.

That's what I originally thought. But if you think about it, it's actually quite wicked: PD said he'd be leaving quite soon (i.e., leaked a spoiler) so Shonda quickly sent Derek to DC (remember how rushed that fight with Mer was?), making what PD said true even though it's not what PD meant.

You've gotta hand it to Shonda: she really is a piece of work.

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 5
Honestly, that'd be so petty from her but I don't expect better, given how she has handled prior departures. I do believe that PD didn't put that much of an effort at the end. I mean, he wanted to stay and would have stayed but maybe thought that  it wouldn't do him that much good to him or his character if he stayed with that sort of soured relationship. Who knows what ridiculous SL Shonda might've given him as a way of retribution. Derek decides to be a stylist? 

There's very likely a lot of truth to this.  Look at the ridiculous storylines that Izzie got once the Heigl stuff started:  Shocking a deer, Gizzie, ghost sex.  And this is more evidence of just how much of a petty and vindictive person Shonda is.

• Love 2
That's what I originally thought. But if you think about it, it's actually quite wicked: PD said he'd be leaving quite soon (i.e., leaked a spoiler) so Shonda quickly sent Derek to DC (remember how rushed that fight with Mer was?), making what PD said true even though it's not what PD meant.

Derek left in episode 9 which finished filming 10 days before that interview. Its quite possible that she decided to leave him longer than initially intended and that's when all the rewrites/changes began that derailed some of the other stories.

• Love 4