Type keyword(s) to search

Behind The Scenes: The Drama Behind the Drama

• Start Topic

I hope he realizes that he only has all of these racing opportunities because of Grey's. I'm sure he does, some of his fans sound like they don't.

He only mentions it in about every interview. Of course, I'm sure that will change now. His fans probably know a lot more about him than the people that don't follow him, or don't care for him. We know his sponsors, his history, and the depth of his spoken gratitude.

ETA: We also know that his racing schedule does not keep him away from home for months, or even weeks, at a time.

Edited by LakeLover
  • Love 1

He only mentions it in about every interview. Of course, I'm sure that will change now. His fans probably know a lot more about him than the people that don't follow him, or don't care for him. We know his sponsors, his history, and the depth of his spoken gratitude.

ETA: We also know that his racing schedule does not keep him away from home for months, or even weeks, at a time.

By that I meant they discredit the show as if it has somehow ruined his life (or their lives, insert eye roll here) because it killed off his character or as if Shonda personally has gone about besmirching his reputation. He wouldn't have much of a career, racing or acting, to ruin if not for the show is my point.
  • Love 1

He wouldn't have much of a career, racing or acting, to ruin if not for the show is my point.

Okay, accepting that premise, the converse is also true. The show arguably wouldn't have had the success it has had without PD as its male lead and breakout star. He's been the face and main ambassador for Grey's for 10 years. Shonda Rhimes today certainly would not have the success she's had, and the power she has accrued, without Grey's and PD's contribution to that. At the very least he (and the fans) deserved more than the rushed, sloppy, brutal episode Shonda wrote. Edited by JayCeeJ
  • Love 9

The show arguably wouldn't have had the success it has had without PD as its male lead and breakout star.. He's been the face and main ambassador for Grey's for 10 years.

I don't think that's fair at all to pin the success on Grey's on one actor/actress. Yes Patrick was and is still popular.   I would say Heigl, Sandra, TR and Chandra were all equally responsible for the shows initial popularity as well. There is a reason this show won a SAG for Outstanding Cast. Yes McDreamy was a pop culture phenomenon at one point, but I doubt this show would have been popular if the ensemble cast from seasons 1-3 wasn't  as great as it was. Not taking away from Patrick or what he did for Grey's, but I don't think its fair to discredit everyone else who made the show great in the earlier seasons.

Edited by choclatechip45

Somebody's trying to besmirch his reputation - a "source" from the set (achOOShondaachOO). I saw the best tweet tonight: "'Dempsey fired for poor work ethic' Ah yes, the man who successfully juggled 2 careers & founded a cancer foundation. Such poor work ethic."

• Love 3
I hope he realizes that he only has all of these racing opportunities because of Grey's. I'm sure he does, some of his fans sound like they don't.

Given that you seem very sure about this, may I ask how how do you know this? 

He wouldn't have much of a career, racing or acting, to ruin if not for the show is my point.

You can head to the PD thread where we discussed it at large. The show's recognition may have helped getting him there in some way but he wouldn't still be there if it wasn't for him. GA doesn't race for him, he does, so there's that. 

• Love 1

i wouldn't be surprised if abc is using cheap gossipy websites to try to win some fans back. after all, they used a gossip website to spread the spoiler of death of derek the first time. that's damage control. i'm not believing a word from those websites. 

who wants to take bets on how long it takes for this to be deleted?  Also, there is nothing I hate more than "I know something but I can't tell you".  ugh.

Exactly. If and when this information comes from documented, verified sources via reputable media outlets, I'll give it it's due.  Until then, no.  Unfortunately, people are so eager for any information that they will grab onto nuggets from anywhere.  Hence the success of crap like "National Enquirer."  It's a sad reflection on society that this happens, and even sadder that it's perpetuated by those who are uninformed and refuse to become informed.

• Love 5

I don't think that's fair at all to pin the success on Grey's on one actor/actress.

I'm not claiming he was solely responsible for the show's success. But he played a very big part in the show's becoming the phenomenon it once was and has continued to be the face of the show in ABC's marketing. Even the atrocious hashtag campaigns used in the run-up to last week's episode are testament to that. Given that, he deserved a better sendoff and so did we. 

• Love 3

I was just looking up some the personal troubles people have been mentioning about Patrick it looks like he has gone through a lot in the last couple of years who knows if he was difficult to be around or how he was behind the scenes. Obviously, he is not going to say in his own interview that he was difficult to be around. The longer he has been on Grey's the more honest/conferable he was in speaking out in the press. Who knows maybe ABC gave him one last warning and he went and ran his mouth off in November. Just to be fair I do think Shonda is difficult. I would be shocked if Patrick and Shonda weren't egotistical considering how much they are paid and how much success they have had.

I'm not claiming he was solely responsible for the show's success. But he played a very big part in the show's becoming the phenomenon it once was and has continued to be the face of the show in ABC's marketing. Even the atrocious hashtag campaigns used in the run-up to last week's episode are testament to that. Given that, he deserved a better sendoff and so did we.

I'll agree with that and that is a fair point.

Edited by choclatechip45

I was just looking up some the personal troubles people have been mentioning about Patrick it looks like he has gone through a lot in the last couple of years who knows if he was difficult to be around or how he was behind the scenes. Obviously, he is not going to say in his own interview that he was difficult to be around. The longer he has been on Grey's the more honest/conferable he was in speaking out in the press. Who knows maybe ABC gave him one last warning and he went and ran his mouth off in November.

I'll agree with that and that is a fair point.

In taking all those personal troubles into account, I can't imagine how horrible he had to be - maybe he was, maybe he wasn't - to warrant firing him instead of working with him and having some compassion for a man who lost his mother after years of her battling cancer, lost his wife of 15 years, and the family life he'd come to  know.

Edited by LakeLover
  • Love 2
I don't think that's fair at all to pin the success on Grey's on one actor/actress. Yes Patrick was and is still popular.   I would say Heigl, Sandra, TR and Chandra were all equally responsible for the shows initial popularity as well.

I disagree with this, from a marketing perspective. It was Pompeo and Dempsey that drove the marketing for the show in the early days. Heigl, Oh, Knight and Wilson received critical praise, but in terms of marketing -- whose face was splashed up on billboards, who was the first call to the talk shows for promotion, who did all the interviews with the entertainment magazines, the women's magazines, etc. When ABC took promotional shots for the show, who was always in the center of the cast photos? Pompeo and Dempsey. I think fans value "the fab five + Bailey" more than the media and the network did.

And while I think the ensemble cast chemistry certainly kept viewers tuning in, I would argue the reason they tuned in (casual viewers anyway) is because Pompeo and Dempsey's faces were inescapable -- on Gap ads, magazine covers, billboards and late night talk shows.

Because Dempsey was arguably the most well-known actor on the show when it debuted (he did have the "and" credit, after all), I think it's perfectly fair to say a large part of the marketing campaign that drove viewers to the show (though the great acting made them stay) fell squarely on his shoulders.

So, I'm comfortable saying he was responsible for a very large portion of the show's success. He drew the viewers to their screens. The show did the rest.

• Love 4

THR (the website that SR lately used for her statements) reports how much ABC is saving after releasing PD from his contract.

http://t.co/l1kJaKESMj

Now they're doing the math? Seriously?? The diva rumors don't catch on as they wanted, probably.

Plus, I would like to know how much all the other regulars cost them.. then there would be a nice and fair discussion.

ABC PR guys are a bunch of funny, funny people.

• Love 3

I disagree with this, from a marketing perspective. It was Pompeo and Dempsey that drove the marketing for the show in the early days. Heigl, Oh, Knight and Wilson received critical praise, but in terms of marketing -- whose face was splashed up on billboards, who was the first call to the talk shows for promotion, who did all the interviews with the entertainment magazines, the women's magazines, etc. When ABC took promotional shots for the show, who was always in the center of the cast photos? Pompeo and Dempsey. I think fans value "the fab five + Bailey" more than the media and the network did.

And while I think the ensemble cast chemistry certainly kept viewers tuning in, I would argue the reason they tuned in (casual viewers anyway) is because Pompeo and Dempsey's faces were inescapable -- on Gap ads, magazine covers, billboards and late night talk shows.

Because Dempsey was arguably the most well-known actor on the show when it debuted (he did have the "and" credit, after all), I think it's perfectly fair to say a large part of the marketing campaign that drove viewers to the show (though the great acting made them stay) fell squarely on his shoulders.

So, I'm comfortable saying he was responsible for a very large portion of the show's success. He drew the viewers to their screens. The show did the rest.

See I disagree it might be an age thing but my friends and I had no idea who Patrick was when Greys started we all referred to it as the Sandra Oh Medical show and the girl from Roswell was on it. I disagree Ellen drove the marketing in the early days besides presenting with Patrick at the Emmys I barley remember her doing any promotion. I remember seeing Patrick, TR, Sandra, Heigl and Chandra doing more press than her in the early days. I even remember seeing justin, Kate Walsh and Eric doing more Plus Heigl's film career blew up the same way Patricks did.

Maybe its as simple as budget. THR: ABC to Save Nearly $10 Million in Patrick Dempsey 'Grey's Anatomy' Exit

Then just own it and say so. Not sure what more damage can they make anymore at this point. 

Maybe add that PD kicks puppies in the face, so they'll look better.

See I disagree it might be an age thing but my friends and I had no idea who Patrick was when Greys started we all referred to it as the Sandra Oh Medical show and the girl from Roswell was on it.

Depends what you were paying attention as well. For the majority, PD was the one who was better known, including ABC and they milked it to the eventual death of Derek Shepherd. I mean, here was this handsome man who is charming and sweet and is the lead male in the drama and he's dreamy! PD made his moves well in his second chance and got to be the guy who ABC would go to for the marketing of the show. You didn't see TRK or IW or JC be at the same kind of press that PD had, still does. PD had more exposure, ergo, more marketing or possible marketing for the show. EP started to do a lot more in the latter seasons, but PD was for many years (still was), the go-to dude for marketing. He started to share that with PD later on and now with Twitter, well it's an entire different world.

Now they're doing the math? Seriously?? The diva rumors don't catch on as they wanted, probably.

Just wait until the "he was being paid so much and didn't knew his lines and killed kittens and kicked puppies and made a mean face" article, followed by the "Patrick did that all on his own, not Shonda." statement. Juuuuuuust wait. 

• Love 5

They could not care if the show ends next season and they announce that at Upfronts, they suddenly threw in a 2 parter this week. This sweeps period will set the ad rates and they're going to try and milk Derek's death into ratings for next season and they could try to milk a finale season.

See I disagree it might be an age thing but my friends and I had no idea who Patrick was when Greys started we all referred to it as the Sandra Oh Medical show and the girl from Roswell was on it. I disagree Ellen drove the marketing in the early days besides presenting with Patrick at the Emmys I barley remember her doing any promotion.

Pompeo might've done fewer interviews, but her face was (at least in promotional materials/ads -- not necessarily interviews) nearly everywhere Dempsey's was. I mean, the Gap ad alone -- it's not like they appeared in scrubs, it was just the two of them. I don't think this is an opinion -- I think if you added up the raw interview footage, number of times on media outlets, number of times in magazines, number of faces on billboards, it's not even close between at least Dempsey and the other cast members. I agree that Pompeo might've been quiet on the media front, but her face certainly was not.

Once the show was launched -- after the growing ratings of season 1 and the mega-ratings surge of season 2, then I believe other cast members started making appearances (when the show moved to Thursdays in season 3, for example). But I would argue very strongly that in seasons 1 and 2 -- which launched the show and catapulted its growth into basically what it is today -- it was mostly Dempsey who did the lionshare of show publicity, and thus marketing.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 5

What they save in salary they're going to lose in ad dollars when the ratings drop next season.

And they are going to introduce one, two, three new characters that no one will care about to suck up screen time.

• Love 4
(edited)
What they save in salary they're going to lose in ad dollars when the ratings drop next season.

Much of the ad space will be purchased in May at the upfronts. If the advertisers feel the show will drop because of Patrick's departure they'll show it in May.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 4

Pompeo might've done fewer interviews, but her face was (at least in promotional materials/ads -- not necessarily interviews) nearly everywhere Dempsey's was. I mean, the Gap ad alone -- it's not like they appeared in scrubs, it was just the two of them. I don't think this is an opinion -- I think if you added up the raw interview footage, number of times on media outlets, number of times in magazines, number of faces on billboards, it's not even close between at least Dempsey and the other cast members. I agree that Pompeo might've been quiet on the media front, but her face certainly was not.

Once the show was launched -- after the growing ratings of season 1 and the mega-ratings surge of season 2, then I believe other cast members started making appearances (when the show moved to Thursdays in season 3, for example). But I would argue very strongly that in seasons 1 and 2 -- which launched the show and catapulted its growth into basically what it is today -- it was mostly Dempsey who did the lionshare of show publicity, and thus marketing.

I get that Patrick was out there a lot. My original point was I think it's unfair to say that all the success Greys had or even the majority of it was because of Patrick. I agrees he was the face of the marketing campaign, but the cAst was everywhere in the early seasons. I don't watch Scandal, but I know Kerry Washington is the star of Scandal because I never see the rest of the cast doing interviews or mentioned in the Press like the Greys actors were. I remember a lot of my friends asking me who the lead of greys was in those early seasons because they saw so many different people out there promoting the show. I know when my friends eventually stArted watching they were shocked that Sara, Eric and Kate weren't part of the original cast Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 2

I think the combination of actors, the catchphrases, the music, the timing - all of it came together to make Grey's a huge hit.  The McDreamy persona exploded but had the show not had all the other components it probably (IMO) would not have been the watercooler sensation it was in the early years. 

• Love 4

The show was originally "EP's" show. EP was hired first, and for Shonda, the show was clearly about Meredith. But then Merder and McDreamy became the engine behind the show's breakout. (Not taking away from the others actors, the music, the clever writing or anything, but I don't really think you can dispute that. Merder were the "headline" in most of the mentions of the show.) And suddenly to the media (and the majority of fans), EP and PD were "co-leads." We've heard that that caused resentment with IW. But what about EP?

I think she was happy enough to go along with PD being perceived as "the male lead" for awhile. She was getting paid good money, the show was thriving, she had a life outside it, and she didn't have to sit through a million inane interviews, etc. And although that was not the way Shonda wanted it, she clearly exploited Merder to build her empire.

But with Scandal and HTGAWM, you saw what I think Shonda wanted for EP, and what EP maybe has wanted for herself. KW is clearly "the lead" in Scandal; it's THE OLIVIA SHOW: no one mentions it without talking about KW and she's credited with the lion's share of it's success (what's left after Shonda gets credited, anyway.) It will propel her career beyond Scandal. Same with VD on HTGAWM.

EP says she doesn't want to act after GA? Well, maybe. But I do think she'd like a little of the glory that KW and VD are getting for carrying their shows. And she was never going to get that while PD was around, no matter how lamely Derek was written. (I'd argue she was never going to get that while SO was around, either.) But Shonda finally has the power to make it happen, beyond the objections of ABC and PD. She's taken the show back, for Meredith and EP.

I still think EP leaves after S12 (or maybe S13), after a season where she gets a chance to taste the same kind of glory that KW and VD have.

But how do you generate the same buzz for a show that's so old? Hmmmm... Maybe through a splashy and controversial exit for PD?

Just a thought.

• Love 4

Yeah I agree with theory about propelling Ellen could be the reason why Derek was killed off. one of my theories is that Shonda wanted to get greys a lot off buzz in mainstream media and the only way by doing that is killing a major character. The only problem with that is she is limited in her choices the only shocking character deaths in my opinion before this season was Meredith, Derek and Bailey. I do think Callie could be considering shocking, but she's not an original.

I do think it's too late to get Ellen the leading lady status Kerry and Viola have though.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 4

So Shonda and Ellen were conspiring to get Ellen more leading lady status than she already has (the show is named after her, she is and has always been top billed and is one half of the show's two most known entities, MerDer and MerCris) a decade after the show started and to do that they decided to kill off the most marketable character? And they have just been waiting for any excuse to do it?

Is that honestly more believable than PD having a shitty year and becoming a distraction, knowing that he would rather be racing?

Obviously no one knows what is going through anyone else's mind, but this seems like a stretch to me.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 7

A few days ago, I surmised that the line "He is not the sun; you are" was not at all about Meredith and Derek, but Ellen and Patrick. I felt it was Shonda's way of  getting ready for the "season of Meredith (and Pompeo)"

• Love 3
(edited)

I have a difficult time buying that EP/Shonda have been waiting it out for a decade until PD could be fired and EP could be the star. 

I still think EP leaves after S12 (or maybe S13), after a season where she gets a chance to taste the same kind of glory that KW and VD have.

Good luck to her with that. Viola Davis is a two time Oscar nominee. 

ETA: from Ask Ausiello but this part is not a spoiler and applies to the ongoing discussion in this thread:

Question: I am sure you are getting bombarded with Grey’s Anatomy questions, but after Thursday’s episode I’m a little confused: I could’ve sworn Patrick Dempsey signed a two-year contract with ABC last year. What gives? —Laura
Ausiello: Four things: (1) Yes, it’s true, he signed a contract last year that was supposed to carry him through a potential Season 12. (2) Contracts are made to be broken. (3) Contracts tend to give networks/studios the “option” to change their minds at the end of each year. (4) The Grey’s Anatomy chapter of my forthcoming memoir — titled Spoiler Ha-lert! and available in fine bookstores in winter 2018 — will answer your question in greater detail.

Ha! Maybe we found our tell-all writer!

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 8

I have a difficult time buying that EP/Shonda have been waiting it out for a decade until PD could be fired and EP could be the star.

I should probably clarify what I meant. I meant Shonda wanted a shocking death and if you leave Meredith out of it cus shes the lead. The only two shocking deaths would be Derek and Bailey IMO. I think the benefit of killing Derek off is that it gives Meredith more of a story than it would if they killed Bailey off.

I should probably clarify what I meant. I meant Shonda wanted a shocking death and if you leave Meredith out of it cus shes the lead. The only two shocking deaths would be Derek and Bailey IMO. I think the benefit of killing Derek off is that it gives Meredith more of a story than it would if they killed Bailey off.

Also, and I don't know if this means anything or not, she's never killed off (in a violent way) a minority character on Grey's. All the horrifying deaths of the main or high profile guest casts haven't been minorities: George, Reed, Charles, Heather, Mark, Lexie, Derek.

Edited by LakeLover
  • Love 3

Shonda killed Meredith's sister and didn't have any reaction basically at all. Lexie's name was barely mentioned. Same with Derek after Mark died. Same with them all after George.

Shonda has no idea how to write aftermath of deaths. One episode I give it and everyone is over it by the finale and it's Derek who?

• Love 7

Your comment is so on point, Artsda.

They shouldn't write so many deaths if they don't know how to deal with the aftermath of it. Or perhaps they are just too lazy. 

We know we'll have a time jump next episode and personally I think this is lazy writing one more time, like, "yeah yeah Mere lost her husband but it's been so long ago that nobody remembers it lol she's totally fine now and so is Amelia yay"

• Love 4
(edited)
Shonda has no idea how to write aftermath of deaths. One episode I give it and everyone is over it by the finale and it's Derek who?

I agree, there's little aftermath. I can see the reasoning of not having extended mourning periods but there should be some.

Addison, Izzie, Teddy, Hahn, Leah, Dr. Stark, Dr. Hermann, Lucy, Ava all left and did not die.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3
Obviously no one knows what is going through anyone else's mind, but this seems like a stretch to me.

Me too. 

I get why EP is used in the TGIT trio promo. It makes sense with KW & VD. Meddling PD there was a bit off as TGIT is more of a "woman power" night. I don't think that EP was counting the seconds until PD was out so that she could take the lead on a show where she's already the lead. PD may have gotten (or still does) get the majority of attention but if this scenario was the case, then EP should be everywhere promoting what's next for Meredith and so far...*crickets*.

Ha! Maybe we found our tell-all writer!

FINALLY SOMEONE!

I do think it's too late to get Ellen the leading lady status Kerry and Viola have though.

I love Ellen but she would never get that status. I am not KW's biggest fan but she and VD have worked extra hard on their careers and EP has been a little more passive. It's her right and good for her to be able to do that and work in a successful show but if star power/leading lady is what she was aiming at, now, I doubt she'd get there. 

One episode I give it and everyone is over it by the finale and it's Derek who?

I have a feeling that they'll use Derek's death until the SF. By then everyone will be over it but I bet that both Amelia and Meredith will have a "moment" where they become better doctors because they remembered how Derek died and what not and for the Neuro wing of the hospital to be named after him. You know it will happen. Besides, between the petition (just saw @midnight mock it) and all this PD press, surely someone at ABC will milk this for its worth. 

Edited by AnitaM86
  • Love 4

Also, and I don't know if this means anything or not, she's never killed off (in a violent way) a minority character on Grey's. All the horrifying deaths of the main or high profile guest casts haven't been minorities: George, Reed, Charles, Heather, Mark, Lexie, Derek.

She's killed of a black man and gay man (not sure that should count as a minority) on Scandal.  Also, the implication is kind of gross and pretty inflammatory to just throw out there, in my opinion.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2
The McDreamy persona exploded but had the show not had all the other components it probably (IMO) would not have been the watercooler sensation it was in the early years.

My friends and I who used to watch obsessively, none of us were into "McDreamy" but the Fab Five, MAGIC, Meredith, Alex, George, Izzie, and Cristina. Those were the days of the "Seriously?" catch phrase. I actually knew more people into Cristina and Burke and Izzie and Alex than Meredith and Derek.  When those relationships ended and those characters started to leave, I knew fewer and fewer people who watched.  

That isn't to say that Derek wasn't important.  He definitely was and for many people was one of the two biggest stars of the show, but it's hard to say that was what the majority of people thought because I didn't know anyone who were Merder shippers.  Without Derek, maybe this show is doomed, but Grey's has lost a lot of important characters and relationships.  Maybe Merder was the last really popular one the show had?

Edited by Betweenthisandthat
  • Love 2

She's killed of a black man and gay man (not sure that should count as a minority) on Scandal.  Also, the implication is kind of gross and pretty inflammatory to just throw out there, in my opinion.

Harrison's death on Scandal had nothing to do with Shonda and everything to do with his personal life. ABC fired him. 

• Love 4

What is being suggested should not be thrown out casually.  If you believe it, go for it, I guess.  If you are just looking for any angle to be angry at Rhimes and throw everything at her because she "sucks", think about the stake you are planting into the ground.

Be well all.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

That Ausiello stuff, to me, says ABC wanted to get rid of him. 'contracts are made to be broken" etc. 

I think his huge ego finally did him in. I recall the articles about his divorce, and that is one thing, they all made note of...that his wife was fed up with his big ego and had enough of the cheating, going back for years. With all the racing and the new developmental deal, maybe he thought he was bigger than the show. We know Shonda ain't having that.  She is the Sun. 

• Love 3

That Ausiello stuff, to me, says ABC wanted to get rid of him. 'contracts are made to be broken" etc. 

I think his huge ego finally did him in. I recall the articles about his divorce, and that is one thing, they all made note of...that his wife was fed up with his big ego and had enough of the cheating, going back for years. With all the racing and the new developmental deal, maybe he thought he was bigger than the show. We know Shonda ain't having that.  She is the Sun. 

1. What cheating?  He admitted to cheating on his first wife, yes, but has always maintained that he would never cheat on Jillian.

2.  That's quite the assumption that his wife who was filing for divorce and trying to get custody of their children would not say anything dishonest about him and intentionally try to make him look bad. 

1) I am talking about Grey's Anatomy, I never watched Scandal. 2) Fact, not implication. IMO.

• Love 2

Is that a fact or trying to lead to a conclusion.  I'm confused.

You're confused. Upthread, people were talking about the possibility of Bailey being a "big death." I correctly pointed out that not one minority cast member has ever had a gruesome death on Grey's Anatomy. I'm stating a fact. Where you go from that is your concern.

• Love 1

Since I'm the one to suggest Bailey would be a shocking death the reason had nothing to do with her race. 1) she's an original cast member 2) I can't remember Chandra ever giving any indication she was tired of Greys like Patrick, Ellen and Sara have. 3) Chandra has directed episodes who knows if she will given that opportunity elsewhere. 4) Shonda made it well known Bailey was supposed to get shot in the season 6 finale but couldn't go through with it.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 2

Since I'm the one to suggest Bailey would be a shocking death the reason had nothing to do with her race. 1) she's an original cast member 2) I can't remember Chandra ever giving any indication she was tired of Greys like Patrick, Ellen and Sara have. 3) Chandra has directed episodes who knows if she will given that opportunity elsewhere. 4) Shonda made it well known Bailey was supposed to get shot in the season 6 finale but couldn't go through with it.

Yes, she did, and she couldn't. It doesn't change the facts, right? Am I suggesting Shonda is racist? No, I think it's pretty hard for people of color to be racist. Am I saying that no minority character has suffered a gruesome death? Yes. Do I know why? Nope.

Adele didn't have a gruesome death, but I wouldn't say it was a great one. She barely remembered Richard and he was already on the road to a relationship with Catherine.

I just think that there are a lot more white people on the show than anyone else, and the majority of those killed off either wanted off the show, were involved in some kind of backstage issue or were not series regulars.