Type keyword(s) to search

Behind The Scenes: The Drama Behind the Drama

• Start Topic

There's very likely a lot of truth to this.  Look at the ridiculous storylines that Izzie got once the Heigl stuff started:  Shocking a deer, Gizzie, ghost sex.  And this is more evidence of just how much of a petty and vindictive person Shonda is.

Maybe I'm naïve, but I don't think those Izzie storylines were supposed to be bad. I don't know, part of me just hopes that Rhimes didn't intentionally derail the show, because I think she genuinely loved Izzie and Denny together and thought a storyline with them leading into Izzie's illness would have been entertaining. It didn't really play well on screen, apart from Heigl's acting which salvaged that mess for me, but it did lead to see great stuff in the back half of season five when Denny vanished.

• Love 4

Maybe I'm naïve, but I don't think those Izzie storylines were supposed to be bad. I don't know, part of me just hopes that Rhimes didn't intentionally derail the show, because I think she genuinely loved Izzie and Denny together and thought a storyline with them leading into Izzie's illness would have been entertaining. It didn't really play well on screen, apart from Heigl's acting which salvaged that mess for me, but it did lead to see great stuff in the back half of season five when Denny vanished.

Sadly, I think you are right. I think the deer shocking and Izzie's departure were veiled comments but I think that Shonda believed 100% in her heart that the season 5 Denny stuff was beautiful and deep.

Just because, I want to mention again that Lexie was eaten by wolves. EATEN BY WOLVES!!! It really isn't funny but I'll be damned if I don't crack up every time I type it.

• Love 6

Karin Gleason said on twitter that Derek had to leave "completely" (hmm...wonder who decided that) and the only way to get rid of him like that would be a breakup or death. Firstly, I disagree with that. Secondly, I'm baffled when fans say they'd rather Derek die than MerDer divorce. I'd rather they have gotten divorced and then reunited in the series finale. It's all about where they characters end up and I wanted to see these two end up together. Frankly, after 10 years I think we deserved to see these two end up together.

Shonda's ego ends up ruining her shows.

• Love 6

Just because, I want to mention again that Lexie was eaten by wolves. EATEN BY WOLVES!!! It really isn't funny but I'll be damned if I don't crack up every time I type it.

I agree, that was so horrible it's almost hilarious. God only know what Chyler did to make Shonda so furious! 

• Love 2

In regard Patrick and his supposed spoilers...that ferry pic wasn't the first time he tweeted a set pic that spark conversations among the fans.

I just can't recall what those pics were in the past.   Was there one he tweeted and wound up deleting it? last season, maybe??  anyone??

As far as Shonda's treatment of cast members. I think she dislikes any cast member thinking they above the rest of the cast or the show.

Everytime a cast member asked for time off, or took time off, their characters wound up gone.

Heigl, Chyler, Dane and then Patrick. While female characters like Jcap, Ellen and Sarah all had babies and didn't seem to take more than a few weeks for maternity leave...all still around. 

In regard Patrick and his supposed spoilers...that ferry pic wasn't the first time he tweeted a set pic that spark conversations among the fans.

I just can't recall what those pics were in the past.   Was there one he tweeted and wound up deleting it? last season, maybe??  anyone??

I think you mean when he tweeted a pic of mark/eric dane in the bed intubated/in a coma at the beginning of season 9. i just think that patrick is not a machiavellian guy, he doesn't overthink things. he must be overcharged with questions, and sometimes he just slip things up. he's human. it still does not justifies this whole mess, to me. 

• Love 4

I just can't recall what those pics were in the past. Was there one he tweeted and wound up deleting it? last season, maybe?? anyone??

As far as Shonda's treatment of cast members. I think she dislikes any cast member thinking they above the rest of the cast or the show.

Everytime a cast member asked for time off, or took time off, their characters wound up gone.

Heigl, Chyler, Dane and then Patrick. While female characters like Jcap, Ellen and Sarah all had babies and didn't seem to take more than a few weeks for maternity leave...all still around.

I think Dane was an ABC decision not Shonda. I remember they made her cut the budget on her shows the summer before season 9 aired.

• Love 3

I think that if she would kill a character for her actress maternity leave, then she would be the one without a job.

So the network allows her to kill just main characters that haven't had a baby recently. You know, to stay politically correct

Edited by Elle8

I think you mean when he tweeted a pic of mark/eric dane in the bed intubated/in a coma at the beginning of season 9. i just think that patrick is not a machiavellian guy, he doesn't overthink things. he must be overcharged with questions, and sometimes he just slip things up. he's human. it still does not justifies this whole mess, to me. 

that's it, thanks.

Karin Gleason said on twitter that Derek had to leave "completely" (hmm...wonder who decided that) and the only way to get rid of him like that would be a breakup or death.

Shonda has also tweeted that before, so it doesn't surprise me that Karin used the same line. She said she wouldn't break them up again unless someone dies and if PD was set to be out permanently, death was her "only" option. Now, normal storytellers would be able to use the divorce/separation as a way out with a possibility of return but can't say she didn't follow through.

Maybe I'm naïve, but I don't think those Izzie storylines were supposed to be bad.

Gizzie was. I can't find a way that it makes sense. At all. It was supposed to be bad. Who thought it was a good idea anyway?

The Denny stuff was terrible but I agree, it wasn't supposed to be. It was bad storytelling. I think it'd be more receptive had ghost sex hadn't happen and it had been less shoved down our throats. 

I don't know why asking for time off for personal reasons makes them "above" the rest of the cast. 

• Love 4

I don't get what spoilers he gave. In the interview he said that he considers leaving in 2 years soon and that was the comment that ABC got mad over.

I don't believe for a second that he meant he would be leaving at the end of his contract which at that point was practically 2 years away.  I am pretty sure he had just found out he was going to be written off the show and slipped. Putting together the timeline, the extra episodes were announced on 10/24, in the middle of filming 11x09 (I am sure the actual order was made earlier than that, ABC just announced a bunch of shows together.)  This is exactly the time when the show starts getting choppy, then we get all the character centric episodes, Meredith acting strange, etc most likely because they were scrambling to re-write a ton. 

The Maine newspaper article was published Nov 12th, and he is reported to committing to the WEC racing series on Nov 19th.  

I mean no disrespect to Patrick, it seems like he was blindsided by this, but even the "unedited" EW article seems a little like damage control considering he still has the production deal with ABC.  

• Love 3
I don't believe for a second that he meant he would be leaving at the end of his contract which at that point was practically 2 years away.  I am pretty sure he had just found out he was going to be written off the show and slipped

Not according to the article. He's quoted as saying he did not know until Feb or March.

Not according to the article. He's quoted as saying he did not know until Feb or March.

I think that is when he found out that his character would be killed off, rather than just sent off to DC permanently.  I've said it before, but there is no way he could have committed to that entire series of races without missing the first 10-11 episodes of the season.  Most of the races are Aug-November and all across the world. There is just no way to schedule shooting around that.  

It could have gone the other way I suppose, with him telling Shonda/ABC he was doing those races and they said absolutely no.  I personally would go with the first scenario as like I said, he does seem to have been genuinely blindsided by being killed/written off. Just my opinion though, feel free to disagree.

• Love 5
I think that is when he found out that his character would be killed off, rather than just sent off to DC permanently.  I've said it before, but there is no way he could have committed to that entire series of races without missing the first 10-11 episodes of the season.  Most of the races are Aug-November and all across the world. There is just no way to schedule shooting around that.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

• Love 1

I think that is when he found out that his character would be killed off, rather than just sent off to DC permanently.

I agree, I think Shonda had probably decided/communicated that she wanted to kill Derek in the fall, but then had to spend months fighting with PD and ABC execs over it. Not fighting over writing PD out, but doing it by killing Derek. (Once PD made the commitment to the WEC series, he can't have minded not being on the show.) 

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 2

I don't know why asking for time off for personal reasons makes them "above" the rest of the cast. 

Easy, when you consider three women delivering babies, teach took off a matter of weeks (ellen pretaped episodes), when others took extended periods of time for car racing, adoption, marital strife, rehab etc.  Seriously? lol 

It just doesn't seem to be on the same scale.

Plus, on one hand people are of the opinion that the show can't exist without Derek..but in actuality, they have done pretty well this season with him being there only half the time.

Then there is the human side of it...the rest of the cast sees him getting paid in excess of 300K an episode for not being there...while they are working 15 hours a day for considerably less and working around his schedule when he is there..

There has to be animosity...which might explain why nobody seems to be all broken up about his leaving, 

I mean no disrespect to Patrick, it seems like he was blindsided by this, but even the "unedited" EW article seems a little like damage control considering he still has the production deal with ABC.

It must be scary as hell to be the first person answering questions about this (without being able to tell the whole truth). What a trainwreck.

I'm sure PD's exit from his contract covered how he was to handle the PR, and he must be receiving some financial consideration from ABC in exchange for not saying, "I FUCKING TOLD HER THIS WAS A BAD IDEA!"

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 7

Two of the three women who delivered babies during filming were due right before or during a hiatus, so that bought them weeks of time off. Not to mention, both Jessica and Sara Drew missed a couple episodes a piece, and while Ellen had to pre-tape to ensure that Meredith was in every episode, the show can stand to have characters like Arizona or April missing and it not be detrimental. 

Derek didn't have to die. There was already a story setup for a plausible exit. Keeping him in DC may have been the less dramatic option, but at least it keeps him alive. At least it would have kept the option open for him to return at the very end to reunite MerDer. Shonda didn't have to kill him, she could have kept his DC story going, separated MerDer if need be, but all of that would have been better than giving the finger to the fans who have hung on for over 10 years. 

They could have also made up their mind about what to do with Derek prior to February or March and had PD pre-tape some scenes to ride out the rest of the season. Again, it was all about choices. And Shonda and Co decided to throw in the towel and not think about the big picture. 

And if the big picture is for Meredith to never really have a happy ending then I guess they've succeeded. According to Shonda, you can't be "the sun" and be fulfilled in your personal life. 

• Love 6
Easy, when you consider three women delivering babies, teach took off a matter of weeks (ellen pretaped episodes), when others took extended periods of time for car racing, adoption, marital strife, rehab etc.  Seriously? lol

It just doesn't seem to be on the same scale.

Are you being serious here or just being sarcastic? I'm not sure with what answer to proceed, so I want to be sure first because I do hope that you see how one isn't like the other.

I'm sure PD's exit from his contract covered how he was to handle the PR, and he must be receiving some financial consideration from ABC in exchange for not saying, "I FUCKING TOLD HER THIS WAS A BAD IDEA!"

Probably. I doubt ABC would have let him go without the proper instructions in how to handle it. From the looks of it, ABC let PD to have the good publicity and have GA deal with the storm (as it has before and is still standing) and see how it goes. I doubt ABC will get very involved here but surely when SR comes out in any interview and is asked, we will get a better insight.

And it was a fucking bad idea.

And if the big picture is for Meredith to never really have a happy ending then I guess they've succeeded. According to Shonda, you can't be "the sun" and be fulfilled in your personal life.

And this is why nobody should take GA or Scandal as what feminism is. But let's face it, Derek barely got to be Uranus. Yes, I made a joke. I know it's bad. 

• Love 4

From the looks of it, ABC let PD to have the good publicity and have GA deal with the storm (as it has before and is still standing) and see how it goes. I doubt ABC will get very involved here but surely when SR comes out in any interview and is asked, we will get a better insight.

Sooner or later, I expect Shonda to step up and own this. Even if the ratings stay up and the social media furor dies down, the critical reaction to the episode (that she let personal antagonism drive the storytelling, fans-be-damned) has to be answered.

At this rate, she'll get Alzheimer soon and not remember Derek's dead. She'll be Ellis re-living the Richard era in a home while Zola comes to visit.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 5

I think you are joking, but I feel like something akin to that ending has always been in play......a replay of the final scene of the pilot with Meredith/her mother, only this time someone else is telling Meredith things she's forgotten due to Alzheimers.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

According to Shonda, you can't be "the sun" and be fulfilled in your personal life.

She chose to kill Derek, and I'm sure she plans to show Meredith rebuilding her life without him. I think Shonda is saying, "Having a husband isn't necessary to have a fulfilling personal life."

She might have some trouble selling that message though, since she's spent 10 years milking Merder for ratings.

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 4

I think you are joking, but I feel like something akin to that ending has always been in play......a replay of the final scene of the pilot with Meredith/her mother, only this time someone else is telling Meredith things she's forgotten due to Alzheimers.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Shonda did that. It's that or Meredith with her true love Cristina old and together.

• Love 3

Ever since Meredith and Derrick adopted Zola, I figured that would be the final scene.

I just remembered that ABC sent PD on the Ellen show back when Brooke Smith was fired. Here's what happened:

“ABC actually sent me over what I should respond,” Dempsey told an inquiring Ellen.

“So ABC’s response, this is [what] you should say – ‘Brooke Smith has been… We’ve had a great time working with her and that the conclusion of her has been orgasmic,’” Dempsey said jokingly. “I’m sorry, I’m dyslexic, ‘organic ending to the story line.’”

Source: http://www.accesshollywood.com/patrick-dempsey-at-a-loss-for-words-over-brooke-smiths-greys-departure_article_12017

Sound familiar?

That must be why they had EP scheduled on Jimmy Kimmel... to do the same for PD's exit. Only she wouldn't or couldn't do it. So PD did it, with the EW reporter. (Sort of like how Derek narrated his own death?)

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 1
She chose to kill Derek, and I'm sure she plans to show Meredith rebuilding her life without him. I think Shonda is saying, "Having a husband isn't necessary to have a fulfilling personal life."

This is what disgusts me: why not? Why isn't having a husband part of a fulfilling personal life? Some really find that to be a fulfilling life. I am not there (and not sure I'll ever be) but I don't understand why women who want to marry and have a husband and have that husband be their sun and shit isn't part of that woman's fulfilling life. I'm pretty sure the last season will be Cristina returning and have their happy ever after raising Meredith's children and blah blah blah because men bad, women good. 

Ugh, GA and it's "lessons". 

That must be why they had EP scheduled on Jimmy Kimmel... to do the same for PD's exit. Only she wouldn't or couldn't do it. So PD did it, with the EW reporter.

I wonder why. I do believe that if anyone will be on serious damage control will be her but I wonder when they'll begin. 

There's a change.org petition going around wanting to bring him back. 12K+ signatures so far. This will obviously reach nowhere but Vulture, E!, Time, among others, are reporting it a lot lately. I'm not sure if ABC expected this. It's amusing to see it develop though. 

• Love 3

Good Morning America had a segment about Patrick leaving today. It was basically a rehash of the EW article and even had the author of it saying he cried when talking about Ellen. The only clip they showed of Patrick actually speaking was an old clip from Jimmy Kimmel where he said he'd rather race than act when JK asked him. They also mentioned the petition. In flipping stations on the car radio I heard it mentioned on the radio as well but they were making jokes about it (the petition and its wording, not about Derek being killed off the show).

ellen just released a statement on twitter, which sounds very much like a request to watch the next episodes. I guess she was under pressure, or was asked to tell something (jmo of course).

• Love 2

That must be why they had EP scheduled on Jimmy Kimmel... to do the same for PD's exit. Only she wouldn't or couldn't do it. So PD did it, with the EW reporter. (Sort of like how Derek narrated his own death?)

EW had the interview first, from before. It was already in print before EP was scheduled to go on Kimmel. 

If she canceled and refused to do it, to give the ABC spin. Good for her, but may be she'll be joining Derek/Mark/Lexie/George soon then. Since Shonda punishes actors with their deaths for not following her blindly.

• Love 7

I guess she was under pressure, or was asked to tell something

It certainly reads like something a dozen publicists and studio execs worked all weekend to create.

EW had the interview first, from before. It was already in print before EP was scheduled to go on Kimmel.

Yeah, you're right, Artsda. I don't recall hearing about EP being scheduled on JK until the rumors about Derek dying started (it was one of the things that contributed to it).

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 3

It certainly reads like something a dozen publicists and studio execs worked all weekend to create.

exactly. that means they are in the middle of a super storm, they surely estimated a big reaction, but not that big. they're using the leading lady to fix the damage. shonda is still silent (since is the main target). i'm very curious about the way they're going to handle this. surely looks like a huge mess.

Edited by Elle8
  • Love 4

I think Ellen legitimately had to back out on the taping, she WAS on location filming that entire day so I don't think there is any hidden agenda there.  However, she seems to speak pretty honestly, both about the show and her personal life so perhaps it was ABC who stopped her from going on the show.  I think she was probably just too busy, given what we know about how far behind they are with filming.  

ellen just released a statement on twitter, which sounds very much like a request to watch the next episodes. I guess she was under pressure, or was asked to tell something (jmo of course).

I have no doubt she was under pressure, but this does sound straight from her.  I'm sure it was properly vetted before she posted it (typos and all, lol).  Interesting how she didn't say anything about Patrick.  Which, I think that is more what the die hard MerDer fans are looking for.  This is just promoting the show, similar to prior 11x21 when the entire cast and crew was talking about how "epic" the episode was.  A simple "thanks for 10 years of memories and good luck Patrick" would go far with her fans...but I am sure Shondaland isn't allowing that.  

• Love 3

exactly. that means they are in the middle of a super storm, they surely estimated a big reaction, but not that big. they're using the leading lady to fix the damage. shonda is still silent (since is the main target). i'm very curious about the way they're going to handle this. surely looks like a huge mess.

I am waiting for Shonda's first tweet since the episode.  If it is anything to do with Scandal I think twitter might explode.  I agree though, I think this is way bigger than they expected.  I said before, but I admit to being shocked with how the mainstream entertainment media spoke up about it being a terrible move.  

• Love 4

Interesting how she didn't say anything about Patrick.  Which, I think that is more what the die hard MerDer fans are looking for.  This is just promoting the show, similar to prior 11x21 when the entire cast and crew was talking about how "epic" the episode was.  A simple "thanks for 10 years of memories and good luck Patrick" would go far with her fans...but I am sure Shondaland isn't allowing that.  

that's why it sounds so calculated, although is a nice speech. but they won't let her satisfy the fans even with such a simple sentence?? omg, what must have he done to deserve this. 

I think Ellen legitimately had to back out on the taping, she WAS on location filming that entire day so I don't think there is any hidden agenda there.

If that's the case, then she got lucky. She was pulled from the track of a speeding train.

I think she probably agreed with Shonda about the decision to kill Derek (after all, she gets new material to play next season). In which case she miscalculated the feelings of fans just as Shonda did.

• Love 4

It annoys me when people use reality as a ploy for storylines. Especially on this show when planes fall on top of people and all the other outrageous nonsense these writers drum up.

Those people who have lost their loved ones don't watch tv to watch someone lose their loved ones. They watch for an escape from their everyday life. Whether it was Ellen or PR, who ever wrote this dropped the ball. 

• Love 6

It also sounds to me like a reminder that real horrors are going on in the world and that maybe people should get a little perspective.

sure, but not every horror in the world should happen to one show, and to one person. that's ridiculous. that's an excuse for bad writing in this case.

Edited by Elle8
  • Love 2

omg, what must have he done to deserve this.

At this point, everyone's letting the show's dysfunctional history write the story: 'Shonda killed a character, ergo the actor must have been difficult.'

And PD can afford to take some of the blame for that; he was clearly ambivalent about continuing with the show. But I think he's also had more interaction with the fans over the years, so he knew what kind of backlash awaited the person responsible for ending Merder. He didn't want to be the one blamed for THAT. And now he's free; so what if there are rumors about him being a "diva?"

But sooner or later, someone's going to go past that and ask: What on earth could PD have POSSIBLY done that would have led Shonda to kill Derek/destroy Merder FOREVER against her own desire/her own creative instinct? Diva antics? Wanting to go racing? 

Seriously?

If PD did something that couldn't be forgiven (is there such a thing in Hollywood? and how could we not have heard about it?), just send Derek to DC, let the show move forward until Merder fans get used to his absence, then kill him offscreen.
 Shonda had choices.

So it just doesn't make sense unless this is what Shonda WANTED. And she's going to have to own up to that, eventually. No future interviewer will fail to ask her about it.

• Love 4

sure, but not every horror in the world should happen to one show, and to one person. that's ridiculous. that's an excuse for bad writing in this case.

I agree with that and I agree that many people turn to TV as an escape for these things. But after seeing some of the over the top gnashing of teeth/pulling of hair responses that have been sent her way, I kind of don't blame her for gently putting a fictional character's death in perspective.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 1

So it just doesn't make sense unless this is what Shonda WANTED. And she's going to have to own up to that, eventually. No future interviewer will fail to ask her about it.

I'm waiting patiently for that. she'll make up something stupid and hilarious for sure.

• Love 1
shonda is still silent

Shonda released a short statement after the episode. It doesn't say much and its clearly vetted like Chandra Wilson's was but she did release something.

It also sounds to me like a reminder that real horrors are going on in the world and that maybe people should get a little perspective.

I agree. I also agree that tv is an escape for many people. But there are also people that take comfort in seeing their story told on tv. There are countless stories of how television storylines had impact and were appreciated by people and their families that have gone through similar circumstance. Its also possible that it means something to personally to Ellen to play a woman who lost a spouse.

If PD did something that couldn't be forgiven (is there such a thing in Hollywood?

Haha I don't think there is such a thing. 

• Love 2

But after seeing some of the over the top gnashing of teeth/pulling of hair responses that have been sent her way, I kind of don't blame her for gently putting a fictional character's death in perspective.

No one is making (non-joking) death threats. They're threatening to stop watching the show (and Shonda's other shows). And ABC can't have that.

They don't care whether we care about the real horrors in the world. They care that we keep tuning in.

• Love 4

Shonda released a short statement after the episode. It doesn't say much and its clearly vetted like Chandra Wilson's was but she did release something.

you're right, i meant that what she said was just a formal statement and not a real honest explanation. when she killed mark she published a post on whosay or something. before that there was the writers blog. she hasn't explained her reason yet.

(edited)
No one is making (non-joking) death threats.

Well I would certainly hope not. I read mentions to the cast right after the show (haven't since). There were many insults/nasty things sent her way for not tweeting what people wanted to hear. 

i meant that what she said was just a formal statement and not a real honest explanation.

I'm not sure we'll ever get an honest explanation. At least until that tell all book we all want is released.

ETA: re Ellen on JK Live - the only place that ever listed her as a guest was the ticketing. The online tv guides, JK site, etc. all had Anthony Anderson, who was the guest that night. 

Edited by windsprints

you're right, i meant that what she said was just a formal statement and not a real honest explanation. when she killed mark she published a post on whosay or something. before that there was the writers blog. she hasn't explained her reason yet.

now Shonda just quoted Ellen's tweet.  I love watching this unfold.  So this is her "statement".  hilarious.  Anyway, I am sure that if she ever does say anything publicly it will be something like "Meredith is strong woman, and a hard-working surgeon and a great mother.  She doesn't need a man to make her great."  You know, Shonda's life story.

• Love 3