Type keyword(s) to search

Comparisons To Other Shows: What Do You Mean It's Not "Stargate: Firefly?"

Via Mallozzi's blog:  Character breakdowns

Between the trailer and the character description, "One" definitely seems to have some Shepherd (Stargate: Atlantis) vibes.

And, then there's "Five," the "relatively innocent" "mechanic" and "colorful mascot" of the ship, which, unsurprisingly screams Kaylee from Firefly, who was played by Jewel Staite, who Mallozzi & Mullie, really, really like (GateWorld interview*) and cast her on Stargate:Atlantis, where she was eventually made a series regular, not to mention having her character paired with McKay.

*From the GateWorld Interview.

JM: There's one thing we can say about her, besides the fact it's great to work with her. She's really pleasant. She's an excellent actress. Bottom line. Watching the dailies ... we've seen her on Firefly. We loved her on Firefly.

About Killjoys: I wonder if those two shows aren't too similar - i.e. will one of them be canceller by the end of the first season? If it were down to me we just don't have enough shows with space ships right now. But tv doesn't bow to my whims so I'm somewhat worried. I liked what I saw in the Dark Matter pilot but Killjoys looks like a lot of fun too.

• Love 1

I don't think they seem too familiar, but I haven't seen Killjoys yet, so I cant be sure. Tone wise, they seem very different. This seems to be more of a darker, mystery, space opera, while Killjoys seems like it will be more of a fan, space adventure. 

I like this so far, and Killjoys looks great, so I hope they don't cancel each other out. I`ll take all the outer space action I can get. 

• Love 1

I don't know why Mallozzi was blathering on in one of his interviews about how this show is Cowboy Bebop. No, sweetie, that's Killjoys; this show is Blake's 7/Farscape/Firefly. That's not a bad thing to be, but it does set the bar pretty high.

• Love 2

I don't know why Mallozzi was blathering on in one of his interviews about how this show is Cowboy Bebop. No, sweetie, that's Killjoys; this show is Blake's 7/Farscape/Firefly. That's not a bad thing to be, but it does set the bar pretty high.

My first reaction was that this show is Andromeda.

• Love 2
(edited)

Six  seemingly bad people in a worse universe with Zen , I mean Android. I thought that I was watching an update of Blake's 7. as Episode One unfolded.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2

Still feels most like Stargates to me. The "Ripple Effect" episode (parallel universe versions of the team) plus SGU.

Even at its worst the Stargates were vastly better, however.  To the point where the feel is different.

I guess Friendzoned One is vintage SGU, though?  (Seriously, what the fuck was that about?)

No joke. In the first minute of the show my first thought was "Peacekeeper ship!" and then when they walked into the shuttle it was "Puddle Jumper!"  When they were talking about FTL and not having coordinates, I was about done.  Luckily, they didn't go there.  Still on the first episode. But yeah, the title of this thread speaking to me.

• Love 1

Perhaps there is a Stargate behind the big door...

Apparently the mystery of the contents of the vault is so pointless that those contents are literally described in the description for the next episode...

• Love 1

Oh, I don't have any doubts that Android technology would evolve in that manner. I was just commenting how quickly the show resorted to going for the lowest common denominator in making it a plot point. And it's not even that it got brought up. It's the way that it got brought up, which was obviously to titillate as opposed to actually being put in for storytelling purposes (unlike in Humans). It struck me as juvenile and pandering. But then, I also feel the same about the way Two's sexuality is written, so maybe that's just par for the course with this show. I shouldn't be surprised, I had massive issues with the way sex was handled on Stargate Universe too.

Ah, Stargate Universe.  Where an overweight nerd getting "friend zoned" by the hot girl he likes is an actual, honest to god plot that wasn't laughed out of committee.

• Love 2

Yeah, so much of the way that show handled relationships/sex was about adolescent nerd wish fulfillment.

I couldn't get past the show using the rocks to have sex scenes while blithely glossing over the consent issues.

• Love 2

I'm finally getting around to the first few Dark Matter and Killjoys episodes.  They both superficially felt like Firefly to me (a good thing).  Killjoys seems more like it visually and the universes could probably mesh pretty seamlessly from what I've seen so far but Dark Matter feels more like Firefly in the cast and cast interaction.  (DM does seem to have borrowed a little from all of my favorite shows, though.  Farscape and Blakes 7 aren't bad things to borrow from, IMO.)     

I'm going to catch up and keep watching Dark Matter because the mystery has intrigued me and I finally figured out where I had seen Anthony Lemke before. (Queen of Swords!)  And I just like the cast better.  I will probably binge watch the rest of Killjoys at some point.  Maybe.      

• Love 1

This show differed from the 'Gates in that they didn't do an actual body swap with any of the characters--perhaps because they didn't want social media focused on the ethics of having sex or taking mind altering substances or risking the life of the person whose body the character was inhabiting--which happened when SGU aired.

I'm seeing this as closer to Farscape than Stargates, because of the link between the ship and the Android, and the duality of One being Derrick Moss who thinks he's Jase Corso, like the difference with Ben Browder's  black t-shirt episodes of Farscape. 

If you mean the Two Chichtons episodes, I don't think that's comparable at all. Two different situations and different tropes. I also don't see any similarities to Farscape. Way more to Firefly.

3 hours ago, FurryFury said:

If you mean the Two Chichtons episodes

I don't mean that at all.  I was talking about the difference in the way Ben Browder played Crichton in the episodes where he wore a black t-shirt.  This comes from him, not me. 

I finally dropped Killjoys. I tend to automatically like female main characters, but everyone being so in love with Dutch got on my nerves too much. And I hear they've started ship teasing her with Johnny as well, which is just a huge no-no for me (I loved their friendship and I'm sick of sibling swapping).

The emphasis on romantic relationships in Killjoys is not my cup of tea either. I'm disappointed with the way that show has been going in S2. However, Dark Matter's quality has gone up in S2.

• Love 4

I agree,  I loved Killyjoys last season, but man it bums me out how i think S2 has lost its way some.  Meanwhile, I think season 2 of DM has improved on S1 so much. Also DM I am liking how DM is handling romance/sex.  It is there (how could it not be with a group of good looking, healthy people all living together in each other's space)  but it doesn't overpower the plot.

• Love 4

To be fair, I'd say there's quite a bit of momentum on the Big Plot, it's just that it's all kind of, well, silly. After that woman poisoned the heads of the Nine Families, they turn around and have Pawter's family drama. Our Heroes trash the RAC complex on Arkyn but the Sixes are taking over Westerley. They find out about the green plasma but don't tell a soul. Stuff is happening all the time. Our heroes are pretty much winning all the battles, but it's all whack-a-mole. There's really no tension about whether they'll win but even when they do it just gets worse. And the bad guys' plots are kind of lame. Human encyclopedias? Frozen (instead of scorched) earth? Kill each other, massacre the serfs, then from a position of strength deal with invaders? I've heard of idiot plots, but give me a break.

Really it only makes sense Dutch's romantic travails seem so much more important. They at least make sense. 

On Dark Matter, hooking up seems like a way to pass the time, like adults have been known to do. 

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 2

I used to think romantic shenanigans were Killjoys' main problem this season but after having seen the last episode I think those were just a smoke-screen to hide the bad pacing and plotting. The so-called villains plans make zero to no sense and I have a hard time figuring out their motivations and end-game.

DM has thankfully dropped any hints of love-triangle-induced drama without completely losing romance. We'll have to see what happens what happens with Four and Nyx. And Three and Sara are still going strong as tragically doomed lovers. But everybody's got bigger fish to fry and so they act accordingly. The villains are compelling and their plans (as far as we've seen them) make sense. Possible exception: whoever's behind Rook and probably the black goo. But right now I'm willing to trust the show with this.

• Love 4

It really is funny to me how Killjoys and Dark Matter have basically flip flopped for me, in terms of quality. Season 1 of Killjoys was extremely fun and interesting, while Dark Matter, while not bad, was just sort of meh, a show that I watched just to warm up for Killjoys. This year, however, Killjoys has fallen victim to bad plotting, wonky character dynamics, and lots of boring filler episodes. Its not bad, or a disaster of a season by any means, but it is a BIG step down from season 1. Dark Matter, on the other hand, has expanded its world, spent more time building up interesting characters and character dynamics, and has greatly tightened up its plot lines. Its still not perfect, but it has gone WAY up in quality, and, now, Killjoys is the slightly bland appetizer to Dark Matters tasty main course. 

• Love 4

There are more one liners in Killjoys, then, now and likely til one or both is done, as far as I can tell. But also as far as I can tell, Killjoys was never anything but pretty people killing bad guys while they pause to snark, centered on Dutch the Diva (as in "goddess" not shrew.) While the dramatic choices the characters on Dark Matter started with, can I reinvent myself as someone better?, always seemed to me to be the kind of thing you could relate to (I'm not a pretty, snarky killer so I'm not really identifying with anyone on Killjoys, and besides, I have real problems, they just have enemies doomed to lose.) But basically, the Raza crew has opted to most become a found family, but more or less the same otherwise. Which feels a little anticlimactic to me.

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 1