Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Meet Your Monster In-Laws

I've only watched half this morning. Will finish out the show, but hope they try more next season. They've found 1 problem with each couple and harp on it, let and right. They haven't made a good storyline of a variety of issues and highs and lows.

The one storyline for each:

• Gypsies: They were truly arranged, she is now part of their family and he better learn to treat him like the king.
  • Southern Couple: She has champagne tastes, he's got a beer budget
  • Indian Couple: She doesn't know how to cook and clean, she's a modern day career Indian woman and he and his family don't like that.

The end.

• Love 4

The producers couldn't even follow the premise of the program title of their own show. I can't get past the idea that only one couple is truly an arranged marriage.

The one Roma couple is a painful setup for domestic abuse. The boy is infantile in his perception of his new wife and completely self centered. Instead of hammering into his "talks" with his son about being a man now, the father needs to completely focus on how to show his wife tenderness, kindness, thoughtfulness, friendship, and serving HER. (I know--that will never happen.) The father seems like such a nice guy, but he is COMPLETELY missing his responsibility to guide his son to how a husband should treat his wife. I want to smack this boy for treating his wife this way.  See? The abuse has already begun.

This show needs to end. It hurts to watch and is certainly no entertainment. I'm done with it.

I'll stick with MAFS and rooting for Jaclyn and Ryan R. 

• Love 2

Gypsy couple: Seems Maria is having some trouble with the transition. I don't blame her, at 17 I wasn't interested in treating *any* man like a king, husband or otherwise. Also with her braces it isn't helping in making her look like a mature, married woman. They remind me of kids playing house. Christian needs an attitude adjustment, every time he opens his mouth I just want to smack him.

Southern couple: Cue champagne tastes, beer budget. Not much else interesting about those two, except wifey won't stop comparing herself and her "skillz" to his mother and grandmother. I guess she hasn't gotten the memo that they have been married longer than she's even existed. Of course she's not gonna be both Betty Crocker and Suzy Homemaker right off the bat....but let's just exploit her anxieties for decent soundbites.

Indian couple: I think Ragini is trying way too hard to show that she's this independent ass kicking Indian woman who doesn't take anyone's shit...even from her husband-to-be's family. She keeps saying she is a modern career woman, but does she actually have a career? Not sure.

This has the possibility of becoming more interesting, but only if they expand on each couples' issues....which I doubt they will do.

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 1

Watched the first two episodes of this show and after the second one I think I won't watch anymore.

Watching the gypsy couple just made me too sad. That young girl looked so sad and anxious. The boy, and yes, he's a boy not a man, is abusive to her and it will probably get worse. I hope Maria does not get pregnant right away. And I wish the show would have said what the Father does for a living and does Christian have a job? Did this couple graduate from high school? I'm thinking they probably didn't.

The southern couple are boring and not arranged. Too much focus on the overbearing MIL. I wanted to reach into my TV and slap her everytime she opened her mouth. she kept saying southern this and southern that, that's not an excuse for being rude and a bitch.

The Indian couple are not arranged, they are living together and I doubt they are sleeping in separate bedrooms. And here again there is too much focus on the MIL and the sister. Who cares!

I don't know if I can continue with this show. I have no interest in the Indian couple and the only thing I'm waiting on with the Southern couple is the day he leaves her and goes back to his mama. But watching the gypsy couple was actually painful. I didn't mind Christian in the first episode but he was absolutely horrible to that poor girl in this second episode. I wanted to drive to wherever they are, scoop her up and bring her home with me. When grandpa said she was "bought and paid for," I almost gave up right then but I'm a sucker for punishment. I had to see how much worse it got and it definitely got worse. Poor Maria!

• Love 2

What a trainwreck. Southern girl's MIL is a beast. I felt sorry for her having to deal with her MIL's deriding comments. Ugh. Her husband will never go against his mother to defend his wife.

I also feel sorry for the Gypsy girl. I think her boy husband resents the fact that he had to get married and is taking it out on her. He is abusive, but I don't think he knows any other way to be. 

• Love 2

I also feel sorry for the Gypsy girl. I think her boy husband resents the fact that he had to get married and is taking it out on her. He is abusive, but I don't think he knows any other way to be. 

Exactly. I don't think he means to come off as abusive, but the immature bitching about every little thing (like hitting his shoes with the grocery cart) would get really old. I don't blame Maria if she cuts and runs back to her own family. I'm sure Christian would love nothing more, then he could sit around and play video games with his brothers all fuckin day if he wants to, and no pesky wife to boss around. The only bad thing I could see about Maria leaving is Christian's mother. She seems like she'd be awfully surly if her son wrecked his first marriage in less than a month, and no doubt it would be entirely blamed on Maria for not being able to hack it.  I don't think making men take responsibility is part of the gypsy culture at all.

Do we know if Christian even has a job yet? At only 18 years old I kind of doubt it, he seems like the type who was really spoiled/coddled growing up because he's a man. I wonder if he (and she) graduated high school yet..

• Love 2

I'm still finding the show tolerable, but then, I fast-forward through all the Southern trash. I'm a little interested in Ragini and Veeral's wedding. Horse or elephant? Wait and see! His sister is awful. And yes, Ragini, Veeral indeed has the right to say he told you so about the ATV, because he did, more than once.

Christian and Maria, oy. That meatloaf did look pretty bad but I doubt anyone in that family has a refined palate. (Neither do I, so not knocking it.) Christian's father giving him specific instructions on how to boss his wife around was tiresome. What kind of shitty apartment do they live in, anyway? It looks more like a long-term hotel, what with the gas station across the street and a parking lot right up to the front door.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

That poor little girl making meatloaf while the whole family watched her, oy. And if either of them has gone to high school, much less finished, I'll eat my hat.

I'm sure Christian will have a nice job in the family "paving" business. Or he can rent a storefront and put Maria to work telling fortunes. What a horrible man child. I tried to tell myself that he's just acting out because he feels uncomfortable, but my empathy bone must be broken. Jesus. Sad little Maria, with her braces still on her teeth. He did not have one kind word for her.

Megan is dead to me, really. She's so awful. If you say Southern Belle to me, I expect beauty, charm, elegance, and biscuit making ability. So Megan fails on all counts. What exactly does she bring to the table? The ability to trowel on makeup is no substitute for a personality. Does she work?

The MIL too. Oh my god. Yes, do all you can to grab the attention at your son's wedding. All of these people are just dreadful.

• Love 4

Southern Husband is going to be boinking his Southern medical staff and peers behind Southern wive's back in no time. Southern wive has absolutely no redeeming qualities. She isn't pretty or smart or responsible. She doesn't seem kind or generous or positive. She may claim to be excited about taking care of her new wallet... ummmm, I mean husband, but it won't be long before she is demanding that they hire a housekeeper. 

• Love 5

How can she take care of him? She can't cook, probably won't clean, and if she can sew on a button, well, I'd be very surprised. She'll be out getting pedicures and giggling with her equally horrible girlfriends about how she's spending too much money. Once she gets knocked up she will have five baby showers (with a french fry bar--so klassy!), and yes, will demand a housecleaner. "I had to have one", she'll smirk.

• Love 3

I finally watched this ep due to dreading it from reading these comments first. What a train wreck for Maria. I hope she does leave. She won't have to pack up much since it doesn't look like she's unpacked very much. What was up with Christian constantly telling her to hurry up? For what? We weren't shown they had anywhere else they had to be. He was just being a jackass. Him telling her to hurry up and unpack her stuff and to make it neat? He's an ass. All of his comments about what doesn't go into meatloaf, yet he's never made it. Dick. Demanding she give him verbal directions to the market...I loved when she pointed out all he had to do was listen the navi's directions. Idiot. Apparently he now thinks Maria is his slave. His Momma didn't teach him to have very good table manners, maybe Maria can help him with that before she hits the door. I am cheering her on to leave him, but I know when we are shown promos like that, it never happens. I am glad to see she is speaking up to him instead of being silently obedient. Grow a backbone, girl, and use it! I'm printing Free Maria!!!! tshirts for everyone here.

Southern chick gives all of us Southern chicks a stereotypical reputation that isn't representative of (I hope) 75% of us. Just quit talking, Megan, and go learn how to do something...anything.

• Love 6

His Momma didn't teach him to have very good table manners, maybe Maria can help him with that before she hits the door.

They were all hunched over their plates like someone was going to steal them. Jesus. What a bunch of prizes.

• Love 3

I almost, kinda, sorta thought Christian's father was trying to be complimentary to Maria when he went through his whole 'when you pay for something, you value it' spiel....but....it STILL relegates the woman to the category of 'thing owned' as opposed to 'human being cherished'.  Guess I'm totally not understanding the Romani worldview of women as subservient pieces of furniture.

I was quite happy to hear Maria, albeit it rather quietly, point out to Christian how all he had to do was listen to the GPS and (at least I think so, but it could be my own wishful thinking) sounding rather exasperated with him when he whimpered and whined until she repeated the GPS instructions to him.  Does he not realize that as Maria is relating the info to him, there could be ANOTHER instruction coming through that is being missed as they play a hi-tech version of the old 'telephone' game? I am thinking/hoping her mother taught her (along with the cooking and cleaning) that quietly stating her truth will (eventually) make a better impression than screaming at him (which, judging by the personality he has displayed thus fare, would only give him cause to feel that every negative thing in their life together is her fault)

I am very surprised that Christian's mother is coming across as such a bitch. She has, quite literally, been exactly where Maria is now - have a little empathy, bitch!

Every time I hear Maria's parents referred to as good and upstanding people who simply don't want to appear on TV, I have to wonder if they (Maria's parents) were strong-armed into this whole fiasco for financial or other reasons. 

However, since they are the only truly 'arranged' couple on the show, I am (against my better judgment and to my utter horror at how far into reality TV I will stoop) going to watch, at least, their segments.

I will watch the Indian couple as I am very interested in just about anything that has to do with Indian culture, etc. (Yup, Monsoon Wedding is one of my favorite movies EVER, followed closely by Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Jewel in the Crown, etc.)  I have NO idea why - I'm a 2nd generation American of 100% Polish ethnicity (as far as I know, but with Eastern Europeans, you just can't ever be totally certain), but I did once have an Indian neighbor who what SUCH a totally smokin' hot fox I can't BELIEVE I let that pass me by - not to mention the fact that in our conversations, every single thing he revealed about himself was completely appealing to me! Chalk it up to being young, foolish,stupidly scared of cultural differences, and focusing more on having a heavy duty catholic background while going through a divorce of MY choosing (first female of my generation on either side to choose divorce).

Southern bride & her inlaws from hell can shove it...I am acquainted with enough Southern Women to know this chick is a pitiful caricature whose only function is as a designated place holder. The less I see of that couple the better.....although....I MUST admit I am rather intrigued by something posted earlier that I inferred to hint that perhaps Southern Hubby-To-Be isn't all that interested in the...ahem...ladypond....Can't WAIT to see how that plays out!

• Love 2

Every time I hear Maria's parents referred to as good and upstanding people who simply don't want to appear on TV, I have to wonder if they (Maria's parents) were strong-armed into this whole fiasco for financial or other reasons. 

However, since they are the only truly 'arranged' couple on the show, I am (against my better judgment and to my utter horror at how far into reality TV I will stoop) going to watch, at least, their segments.

I will watch the Indian couple as I am very interested in just about anything that has to do with Indian culture, etc. (Yup, Monsoon Wedding is one of my favorite movies EVER, followed closely by Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Jewel in the Crown, etc.)  I have NO idea why - I'm a 2nd generation American of 100% Polish ethnicity (as far as I know, but with Eastern Europeans, you just can't ever be totally certain), but I did once have an Indian neighbor who what SUCH a totally smokin' hot fox I can't BELIEVE I let that pass me by - not to mention the fact that in our conversations, every single thing he revealed about himself was completely appealing to me! Chalk it up to being young, foolish,stupidly scared of cultural differences, and focusing more on having a heavy duty catholic background while going through a divorce of MY choosing (first female of my generation on either side to choose divorce).

becauseisaidso, I'm fascinated by Indian culture too; I attribute it to reading The Far Pavilions in the 70's. I've been hooked ever since. Monsoon Wedding is permanently on my tivo-I actually once met Mira Nair! Have you read A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth? I'm really interested in the Indian couple too, thought as you point out,they aren't "arranged" strictly speaking. I love Veeral--he's so good natured! Ragini is a lucky girl, and for all her type A competitiveness, I think she knows it. 

And as for Maria'a parents, I am firmly convinced that one or both of them has a warrant out for his or her arrest, or at the very least one of them is running a scam and doesn't want to risk being recognized. 

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 3

They were all hunched over their plates like someone was going to steal them. Jesus. What a bunch of prizes.

Oh yeah love their extensive collection of styrofoam cups. Must get a discount from the gas station just outside the front door. 

I don't usually rag on people's use of styrofoam cups ( hey i hate washing dishes like everyone else). It's just that that witnessing this domestic abuse story unfold is filling me with rage!! Is it this bad in the gypsy/Romani culture? And why do they just sit around the house all day? No one has a job??

The Southern mother in law is a distasteful wench!! Maybe she'll choke on a damn french fry!!

becauseisaidso, I'm fascinated by Indian culture too; I attribute it to reading The Far Pavilions in the 70's. I've been hooked ever since. Monsoon Wedding is permanently on my tivo-I actually once met Mira Nair! Have you read A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth? I'm really interested in the Indian couple too, thought as you point out,they aren't "arranged" strictly speaking. I love Veeral--he's so good natured! Ragini is a lucky girl, and for all her type A competitiveness, I think she knows it. 

And as for Maria'a parents, I am firmly convinced that one or both of them has a warrant out for his or her arrest, or at the very least one of them is running a scam and doesn't want to risk being recognized. 

I think I will look into those Indian culture books! Which is the best one to start with?

Her sister-in-law planning a cooking party as a bachelorette party was not nice.  Save the cooking lesson for another time.  But Veeral was right, ATV the day before your wedding? Dumb ass....

Your thoughts about the gypsies having arrest warrants are interesting... Is this based on the TLC show? LOL!

The Romani marriage is scary to watch. Christian clearly wasn't taught how to be respectful to a woman especially a spouse. I feel bad for Maria for being saddled with that family especially her crappy, immature husband. The family as a whole didn't seem trashy in the first episode, but their true colors really showed through in the second episode.

The Southern mother-in-law is way too similar to my own Southern mother in law in her behaviors. The openly passive agressive behavior shielded as Southernisms was glaring. The one up manship displayed in competition with the wife to be. It felt way too close to home. We went to marriage counseling after the birth of our first kid because of how she behaved during my maternity leave. I see this southern wife going through the same thing that I went through. It takes a lot of energy to ignore and quell those negative behaviors displayed against you.That girl has a long way to go in managing her jerk mother in law. I seriously believe that the mother in law on Arranged has a narcissistic personality disorder. Her son will defend his mom before his wife because of how she conditioned him to. It's a huge uphill battle in general. I pretty much have a non existent relationship with my mother in law because of years of treatment like how the wife in Arranged is being treated.

I've attended a number of Indian weddings. Theirs sound pretty standard. Surprising the groom with a dance at the Sangeet is normal. Sangeet's are a lot of fun since it's just a night of dancing, food, stories, etc. The wedding ceremony is neat to watch too with the rituals, the pretty dresses, etc. All of the Indian weddings I have attended have been a lot of fun and a big party.

I think I will look into those Indian culture books! Which is the best one to start with?

Your thoughts about the gypsies having arrest warrants are interesting... Is this based on the TLC show? LOL!

sookisooki, both are great! They're both novels--I'd start with the Far Pavilions because its a great romantic story, plus there is a lot of great historical/cultural content. Then read Shadow of the Moon by the same author, M.M. Kaye. It takes place during the mutiny of 1857. Both are big romantic novels. 

A Suitable Boy is probably my favorite book of all time, takes place in India in 1950, just a few years after Partition. 

And my take on the Gypsy in laws not wanting to be filmed is from what I've read about modern Gypsy culture, especially in the US. I hasten to say that I don't believe all Gypsies are shady. I know most aren't. But from what I've read, some Gypsies feel like perennial outsiders, and that the gadje (non Gypsies) are there to be fleeced. (one story goes that Gypsies have been given a special dispensation by God to steal, since a Gypsy stole one of the nails that were going to be used to nail Christ to the cross). So there are the fortune telling scams, and the popular driveway paving scams. Try Peter Maas' King of the Gypsies, or Jack Olsen's Hastened to the Grave. Yikes. 

• Love 1

The Romani marriage is scary to watch. Christian clearly wasn't taught how to be respectful to a woman especially a spouse. I feel bad for Maria for being saddled with that family especially her crappy, immature husband. The family as a whole didn't seem trashy in the first episode, but their true colors really showed through in the second episode.

The Southern mother-in-law is way too similar to my own Southern mother in law in her behaviors. The openly passive agressive behavior shielded as Southernisms was glaring. The one up manship displayed in competition with the wife to be. It felt way too close to home. We went to marriage counseling after the birth of our first kid because of how she behaved during my maternity leave. I see this southern wife going through the same thing that I went through. It takes a lot of energy to ignore and quell those negative behaviors displayed against you.That girl has a long way to go in managing her jerk mother in law. I seriously believe that the mother in law on Arranged has a narcissistic personality disorder. Her son will defend his mom before his wife because of how she conditioned him to. It's a huge uphill battle in general. I pretty much have a non existent relationship with my mother in law because of years of treatment like how the wife in Arranged is being treated.

I've attended a number of Indian weddings. Theirs sound pretty standard. Surprising the groom with a dance at the Sangeet is normal. Sangeet's are a lot of fun since it's just a night of dancing, food, stories, etc. The wedding ceremony is neat to watch too with the rituals, the pretty dresses, etc. All of the Indian weddings I have attended have been a lot of fun and a big party.

Thanks for your take on the Southern mother-in-law experience.Your description of the mother on the show was spot on. I'm sorry you had such a hard time.  What made you stick it out and not just leave?

The Southern MIL struck me as nothing short of a totally nasty control freak of a bitch who HAD to one-up any one and every one! What kind of a woman tries to outshine the bride on the bride's day? When I saw the Charleston segment, I could NOT imagine doing that back-swing thing in ANY dress, let alone a wedding gown! Given the fact that bridie "likes to eat, and that's a problem",  I have to think MIL's motive was MUCH less than pure in suggesting a first dance where sonny boy not only had to catch his hefty bride on the run, but had to then execute that back swing maneuver AND carry her off the dance floor! As much as I dislike Southern Bride (who is a pathetic piece of parasitic work in her own right), her MIL is the absolute worst possible definition of a mother in law....and that's going some from one/me whose first MIL was also an authoritative ultra-conservative Southern bitch.

I was pleased to see Gypsy Bride Maria speak her concerns in a calm, even voice. Shrieking/screaming would have gotten her a label as a shrew/prima donna. By stating her case in a calm manner, she (I hope!) will be taken seriously. I have a feeling at least one of her parents had the foresight to impress upon her that she still had rights as a human being, regardless of how much was paid for her or what a douche her husband is being. Does this guy/Christian do ANYTHING beside play video games and 'style' his hair?  How can his parents have thought he was ready to take on the responsibilities of heading up his own household? I know it was mentioned, but I have forgotten how long they are to live with his parents before establishing their own home. I know the edit is done to ramp up interest - but still, as cut and spliced as the preview clips may be, they (Christian, Maria, et al)  still said and did the things shown - albeit it not in the same sequence/context.  IMO, Christian is prissy momma's boy who needs to get off his butt and get a life - hopefully an adult one...I hope his father has learned enough over the years to give the kid some proper guidance. I still don't care much for Christian's mom, but I have lost maybe 1/10 of my dislike for her. She is a product of her environment, after all, as are they all.

I love the Indian couple....and had to laugh  my ass off when the Ragini tried to make it seem like Veraal hadn't warned her about exactly the correct thing - not sure if it was stability or maneuverability of an ATV - so he doesn't get to say 'I told you so'....such a clearly face saving speech, I just had to laugh - I am sure that even as they spoke, they both knew she was scrambling to not look like an idiot. And it doesn't seem like he rubbed it in....but I'll have to watch again to make sure.  In any event, they are still the most likeable couple of the three - which is a shame as they are not the one that was truly 'arranged'.

• Love 1

With the gypsy couple...what ethnicity are Romani gypsies? Christian and his family almost look like they could be either hispanic or italian with that dark hair and olive skin. Or maybe even Greek. But I don't know much about the gypsy culture beyond the garbage that TLC shows, which certainly doesn't give them a good image. Either way I hope Maria continues to stand up for herself and not let her guido Jersey Shore wannabe husband treat her like a slave. His father did a very poor job preparing him for married life, being the head of a household, and how to treat a wife. They seem to be so quick to pat themselves on the back about being so loving, close, and family oriented, and the dad bragging how that since they paid for Maria that somehow meant that she would be treated better....yet Christian has absolutely no idea how to communicate with Maria and treats her worse than a dog, just ordering her around and acting like everything she says or does is stupid. I don't see any of this great treatment she's supposed to be getting. Christian obviously had no table manners either, all hunched over his food like someone was going to come by and steal his plate...all the boys were like that. And what's with all the disposable cups and dishes? Can they not afford real dishware and cups? They're not like the Duggar family, who has to regularly feed 20+ people at a time....spring for some goddamn dishes!!! I also can't stand being ordered around by someone who has no idea what they are talking about, such as when Christian was bitching at Maria about what goes in a meatloaf. Chances are he's never made a meatloaf (possibly never even ate one, his palate seems more of the pizza and chicken fingers variety) so how would he know what goes into one? Plus everyone makes it a little bit different, there's no such thing as a standard meatloaf....dude needs to get over himself and stop acting like he's this know-it-all cos he's not. He's a punkass 18yr old boy who may or may not have even graduated high school. He needs to have several seats and shut the fuck up.

Southern Bride grated, but I think (hope) she may calm down and reign it in a little once the newness of the marriage fades. And if she stays far away from the evil upstaging MIL. So she can't bake a biscuit. Who cares? Just buy the ones in the tube and toss it before the husband comes home. Nobody has to know, it'll be our little secret.

Ragini and Veeral seem sweet. She was dumb to go on the ATV so close to her wedding, but they both seem to be being good sports about it. I think their relationship is the least forced and that they will have a happy and fulfilling marriage....regardless of how "rebellious" Ragini tries to act to her culture. I think that's more for the show than her reality, because I don't see her shirking much about her culture and customs, except when it comes to cooking.

Romani couple makes me angry. This is why children shouldn't get married. Christian's parents act like children, too. And Christian is no catch. I hope that Maria didn't drop out of school to marry this piece of trash.

I am willing to bet a week's pay that Maria hasn't been to school past 8th grade. Christian either.

Isn't Romani their ethnicity? Gypsies were targeted by Hitler as an ethnic group-thousands of them were exterminated. Its thought that they originated in Northern India. 

• Love 3

Agreed with everything everyone has said so far!

Notice how Christian has no idea where his neighborhood grocery store is. That's crazy! Granted, of course mom does all of the shopping, but he's never even SEEN it, driven past it, or ever had to go with his mom? I guess the dowry is like paying for a slave. Maria now serves the whole family for 3 years as training before they set up their own household? Nina (is that the MIL's name?) is going to have a decade of the easy life having 3 boys. I guess Christian is working overtime to train Maria by criticizing and ordering every minute thing she does. She talks back when his parents aren't around though, which makes him treat her even worse as the "man." I was most interested in them last week, but this was just heart breaking.

Ravini and Vareel--that pre-ATV warning call was totally filmed after the fact for dramatic affect, right? Also, her leg was not broken! She had an ace bandage loosely looped around her leg--it wouldn't have even restricted movement! The flip was definitely real, but I think this whole can't dance with a "broken leg" storyline is being exaggerated.

Last week I believed that the Southern moms fixed up (not arranged) their kids, but Josh's mom doesn't even LIKE Meghan. If it was truly arranged wouldn't she have called this off and found someone else who is thinner and can make biscuits while ballroom dancing?

• Love 5

Thanks for your take on the Southern mother-in-law experience.Your description of the mother on the show was spot on. I'm sorry you had such a hard time.  What made you stick it out and not just leave?

I threatened to leave while on maternity leave while my hormones were really messed up. The trick with shitty Southern mother in laws is to keep them at arm's length, never given them any ammunition to think that you're the bitch, not the other way around, and limit contact. I don't have phone or email conversations with her at all. My husband calls his family and deals with them mainly. I literally don't engage her in anything. When we visit, I keep conversations to light, non emotional topics. She'll still pull out the drama, but it's all on her, not me. I make a point of rolling it with it. I've had to develop a very thick skin in a decade of her abuse. It's abuse believe me. She's toxic and immature. My husband doesn't get it, but has some awareness that his mom/parents don't behave like most people in many ways.

The Southern wife will have to learn this. Also, you have to learn to accept that you'll never be the one that she wants her son to be married to. I've accepted it over the years. It took a lot of pain to get to that point. Now, I don't care at all. She also made the point of telling me this after being married a year too. So, Meghan has a long uphill battle with her bitch mother in law. It's the same behavior I've experienced throughout the years. It's like some messed up Southern mentality these women adopt or have been coddled to believe that it's true. It's all fake Southern charm and bs.

• Love 1

Southern Bride grated, but I think (hope) she may calm down and reign it in a little once the newness of the marriage fades. And if she stays far away from the evil upstaging MIL. So she can't bake a biscuit. Who cares? Just buy the ones in the tube and toss it before the husband comes home. Nobody has to know, it'll be our little secret.

MIL's body shaming comments were def. uncalled for. So what, you take out the dress by an inch. No one dies. That's why there are multiple fittings.

This is total Southern passive aggressive behavior. With the biscuits and banana pudding, those are a bit of a big deal in the South since it's Southern food. It's a cultural thing down there. As an outsider/interloper/not my mother in law's first choice for her son, I really haven't been taught their recipes. My husband's grandmother is a little more welcoming than his mom is about stuff like that. However, my husband's grandmother thought that once I became a parent, I would become a stay at mom like it was assumed or unquestionable. It's not what's best for our family and not happening. So, the old school mindsets are still very apparent.

I hated the scene where Megan was in the bridal suite getting ready while her mother in law and friend or mom kvetched about how awful Megan is. Those women should have been kicked out of the bridal suite once they spoke ill of her. I kept my mother in law out of the area where I was changing, so she could focus on her son which she seemed to have zero interest in that moment. Megan has to learn to stand her ground on a lot of things or she will get brow beaten and passive aggressively taken to task about every single thing by a controlling, jerk of a mother in law.

• Love 1

Megan's mother in law is a piece of work. She's not even passive aggressive, she's full on aggressive and a total bitch. I kinda feel sorry for Megan, but that pity is tempered by the fact that Megan is a pampered little princess who must have whatever she wants. Oh, and MIL looked absolutely awful on that strapless gown she wore to the wedding. Her short body and short hair only made it worse.

I love the Indian couple....and had to laugh  my ass off when the Ragini tried to make it seem like Veraal hadn't warned her about exactly the correct thing - not sure if it was stability or maneuverability of an ATV - so he doesn't get to say 'I told you so'....such a clearly face saving speech, I just had to laugh - I am sure that even as they spoke, they both knew she was scrambling to not look like an idiot. And it doesn't seem like he rubbed it in....but I'll have to watch again to make sure.  In any event, they are still the most likeable couple of the three - which is a shame as they are not the one that was truly 'arranged'.

The phone call warning Ragini not to get on the ATV was completely staged after the fact for the sake of the story. It had all the tell-tale signs of producer manipulation and setup.

Ravini and Vareel--that pre-ATV warning call was totally filmed after the fact for dramatic affect, right? Also, her leg was not broken! She had an ace bandage loosely looped around her leg--it wouldn't have even restricted movement! The flip was definitely real, but I think this whole can't dance with a "broken leg" storyline is being exaggerated.

Absolutely.

With the gypsy couple...what ethnicity are Romani gypsies? Christian and his family almost look like they could be either hispanic or italian with that dark hair and olive skin. Or maybe even Greek. 

Genetic and linguistic studies have shown that Romani and other gypsy tribes are descended from north western Indians (primarily in Sindh, Punjab and parts of Rajasthan). As I said in another thread, the gypsies on this show could easily pass for people from that region.

Edited by Rahul

Christian was brought up with the values we see in him on the show. It is the custom for wives to be obedient, stay home and clean, cook and have babies. I don't think either he or maria are unhappy.

The one thing that stands out about Gypsy women is their intolerance for unclean living environments; I would love to see just how clean a house is where the wife scrubs the floor with a brush nearly everyday.

Maria and Christian look forward to their lives together. It makes me unhappy that young lives are sealed into a relationship before they've had a chance to explore themselves even. But traditions, just like being covered from head to toe in black due to religious requirements, are accepted by cultural groups. They seem stifling and unfair to us because we generally have the final say-so in who we are involved with.

On another note I think the phone call was staged and also the part where Maria talks back to Christian.

Christian is 18 yrs old so Yes He Is Immature!!!!!! His mother still looks very young, so i'm guessing that she got married even younger then 18

I wonder if the comment about being careful on the ATM was filmed 'after' the accident and then edited to look like he tried to warn her before hand. It just seems kinda far fetched that he said it and then the accident happened.

Edited by Taylorh2

ETA:  I don't think Christian and Maria are unhappy about being married. They are not very happy with eac other right now and That is strange. From what we've learned about the culture contemplating leaving the marriage is not considered an honorable solution. So, we wonder if the producers, knowing the audience is probably disapproving of the woman's rights in these unions, if they aren't egging the arguments on?