Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Exes

Loved the Gilmore Girls shout out! That made me burst out laughing. "Go home and finish binging Gilmore Girls! He loves that show."

Me too!

Some good lines in this one :

Liza-  ...you started downing shots like a Lohan...

Diana-   This is my associate, Liza....something.   :)

Oooh, I hated when Kelsey blamed Liza for blowing the meeting with the Swedish guy. But glad she got so angry and defended herself, letting her know she tried to keep her sober. 

Is Debi Mazur ever going to get any kind of a storyline except just best friend to Liza with a few quips?

• Love 4

Oooh, I hated when Kelsey blamed Liza for blowing the meeting with the Swedish guy. But glad she got so angry and defended herself, letting her know she tried to keep her sober.

That she finally listened to Liza and tried to fix the situation herself was what saved the situation for me. Because up to that point, Kelsey was really pissing me off. (LOL.)

• Love 4

I think maybe they're trying to show that Liza's experience gives her an edge Kelsey doesn't have, but they may be going overboard a bit. The dudebro boyfriend tried militantly to sabotage her at every step of this book deal, and she backed him off. Now her career-making meeting is in the morning and she's hammering shots?

It's almost as if she's letting some asshole derail her career so she'll end up, how did she put it last week, married to an unreliable asshole in the suburbs and having a relationship with her shower hose. Like that ever happens.

• Love 1

Can I just say that the sex scene was hot!  Oh my!  This is why I can't watch the show with my school-age daughters, and one of them is very curious because the previews look cute.  After I watched it I deleted it off the DVR; not just "delete", but "remove from device".  I have to keep my eye on her to make sure she isn't sneaking it on demand.

How many shots did Kelsey have?!?  I'd have alcohol poisoning.  Come on.

What was the deal with Josh's ex?  She just comes over sometimes?  I sort of missed that.

What was the deal with Josh's ex?  She just comes over sometimes?  I sort of missed that.

Yeah, it seems like she's a fuck friend, though Josh stopped that after Liza saw them together.

Edited by dubbel zout

Ugh to Kelsey's jerk boyfriend acting like money was the reason Liza thought she and Kelsey had had enough to drink. I don't think he even believed that was the reason, but he said it anyway. I want something bad to happen to him.

• Love 7

I'm enjoying this show a lot! I'm also glad Kelsey owned up to her mistake and made it right with everyone. The sex scene was hot! I still wonder how they're going to sustain the relationships between everyone and Liza for so long and not have them end up completing hating her when the truth comes out. But I suppose if we crawl through the days (this episodes was, what, only comprised of two days after last week's?) then one full season would end up being not a very long time in Liza's world. 

Man, Kelsey really sucked this week. I am totally fine with people drinking and celebrating and having fun, but it is not anyone else's responsibility to make sure you don't drink too much or send your new client inappropriate texts or miss your meeting the next morning. Honestly, my problem with Kelsey started when she told Liza, "Don't let me drink too much tonight." Girl, you are an adult with a real job. It is no one else's responsibility but your own to control your alcohol intake. Then she made it even worse by ignoring Liza when she tried to do what Kelsey asked her to do because she is to weak to stand up to her dude bro boyfriend. And that's before Kelsey dragged Liza to Josh's shop to get a tattoo after midnight and threw a rock through his window.

Meanwhile, Thad can DIAF. First of all, the amount of money you make has nothing to do with having the right to make your girlfriend drink and then saying you refuse to go to Brooklyn. He is such a douche.

If I were that author and the girl who signed me didn't show up to our first meeting, left me with someone who clearly didn't understand me, then showed up at my house (INAPPROPRIATE) two hours later to tell me that she got drunk and then overslept, I would be taking my awesome book elsewhere.

I'm glad that Liza told Kelsey to get her shit together and quit blaming everyone else for her own choices and mistakes. Suck it up and fix it!

I know I am being harsh but Kelsey is not a teenager or even a college student. She is too old to be acting like this. No wonder Liza's boss looks at the younger employees like they're idiots.

Despite my complaints, I enjoyed the Liza/Josh stuff (and not just the sexytimes!). Even without the complication of lying about her age (and a hologram Kurt Cobain), watching Liza change from a woman whose husband cheated on her to a happier and more confident person is nice to see. Some of that has to do with Josh and how she views men and herself.

• Love 12
If I were that author and the girl who signed me didn't show up to our first meeting, left me with someone who clearly didn't understand me, then showed up at my house (INAPPROPRIATE) two hours later to tell me that she got drunk and then overslept, I would be taking my awesome book elsewhere.

Even if you were attracted to your editor? I thought they set that up nicely at the reading, so it wasn't entirely unbelievable that the author would give Kelsey one more chance. Though it was dumb that she didn't clue in Diana a bit more to the author's sensibilities. How else is she supposed to design an ad/marketing campaign? The art department would need to know, too.

I know I am being harsh but Kelsey is not a teenager or even a college student. She is too old to be acting like this.

She's, what, 26? Twentysomethings are still pretty stupid. I certainly was. I get the feeling she hasn't had any real setbacks yet, so she's had no reason to really think about changing her behavior.

• Love 2

Yeah, I thought those scenes beautifully illustrated exactly the kind of stupid stuff you do in your twenties that seems SO OBVIOUSLY STUPID when you're a little older.

Liza can see it clearly, but Kelsey can't yet. Maturity in a nutshell.

• Love 2

Let me just say that I totally agree that your drinking is not someone else's responsibility, but Liza seemed hilariously, comically ineffective at stopping her, so incredibly passive and not good at all at trying to stop Kelsey from drinking.  I feel like I can say this because she willingly took on that role and seemed to be earnestly trying.  Why did she follow her to Brooklyn?  So stupid!  If you have an Uber send her ass home!  Or if you are so worried about her, bring her to your house.  I didn't understand that entire montage.  It was just an incredibly long scene of Liza pretending she wants to help but being so horrible at it.

It's good that Kelsey apologized, but Liza had to like yell at her to make her see that she was wrong, so no points.  Kelsey was horrible to her the next day.  And totally sober by that point. 

Liza forgives people their errors easily and seems to suffer fools gladly.  Wonder if she was a doormat through that marriage.  If this was real life, I'd say there is no good reason to trust Josh.

It was cute when Douchebag made fun of Brooklyn and said "No offense" and Liza said "Lots taken."  It's rare that I hear a good sitcom quip I haven't heard before.  I've watched every sitcom.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I really like this show.  I could never get into Sutton Foster's first foray into television, just because everything about Bunheads felt like a half assed Gilmore Girls redux, but I love her here.  I do keep wondering how long they are going to drag out her secret, but I suppose that also depends on ratings and how likely it is that they are getting another season.

Kelsey.  Ugh.  I'm sorry, but 26 is old enough to be over irresponsible partying the night before your big career making meeting.  So I'm glad that Liza called her out on it when Kelsey tried to blame Liza for not having her back.  Mind you I do agree if Liza was so worried about her, I would have expected her to spend the night with Kelsey or something to make sure she got there on time, but it still wasn't Liza's responsibility to do so.

It was cute when Douchebag made fun of Brooklyn and said "No offense" and Liza said "Lots taken."

I ioved that, too. I like that Liza is only barely tolerating Jerk Boyfriend. 

I do keep wondering how long they are going to drag out her secret, but I suppose that also depends on ratings and how likely it is that they are getting another season.

I don't think keeping the secret has to last too long. Liza is proving that she can do her job, and once she's a bit more established at work, what does it matter how old she is? Dealing with the fallout of the truth has a lot of story potential.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1
(edited)

Who else loved the Jonathan Taylor Thomas vs. Andrew Keegan reference? Honestly, I preferred Andrew Keegan, although he apparently went crazy.

From a purely aesthetic viewpoint, JTT was more attractive. I remember wondering why Claudia was so obsessed with Andrew Keegan's character on Party of Five.

I saw a live interview with Keegan a few months ago where he showed some reporter around his new church and yeah, weird.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

After the first episode I was a bit offended on behalf of 40-somethings.  This episode left me a bit offended on behalf of 26-year-olds.  I mean, come on.  I still drank too much and made dumb mistakes at that age, but I never drunk-texted a client or wanted a tattoo.  Kelsey was definitely acting like a college coed.  And Liza has a teenage daughter (I assume she still does, though she hasn't been mentioned the past 2-3 eps) but can't manage to look out for Kelsey for a few hours?  This was the perfect time for mom mode to kick in and draw more suspicion about her age.  At least that would have made it interesting, as opposed to her worrying about being cheated on.

Count me among those who have no idea who Andrew Keegan is.

This show is good for mindless entertainment for 22 minutes or so, but it rather lacks substance and nothing really seems to happen each episode.  It's not like a plot advances, or anything.  It's not humorous enough to be OK without an actual plot.  And how long can the lying about her age thing last, anyway?  Then what?  

Edited by Jillybean
And Liza has a teenage daughter (I assume she still does, though she hasn't been mentioned the past 2-3 eps) but can't manage to look out for Kelsey for a few hours?

Liza tried to stop Kelsey from drinking too much, but short of physically hauling her out of the bar, there wasn't much she could do. Kelsey was swayed more by her jerk boyfriend. Ultimately Kelsey, and Kelsey alone, is responsible for her actions.

• Love 5

Count me among those who have no idea who Andrew Keegan is.

LOL. Me, too. I mean, once I saw his picture I recognized him from TV, but just hearing the name... I got him mixed up with the guy who played Mike Seaver's best buddy on Growing Pains. That actor's name was Andrew as well (and his last name started with a K).  

I knew who "JTT" was though. Do I get any points for that?

Andrew Keegan was basically the go-to "heartthrob" on a lot of 90's kid/teen shows- he was on Party of Five, Full House, 7th Heaven, as well as some film parts in Independence Day and 10 Things I Hate About You. I tended to like him because I am a sucker for a guy with short, glossy dark curls and big brown eyes.

JTT did/does look great, although I tend to lean towards tall guys. I don't think  he was ever really a teen idol, more just a young working actor, but Eric Balfour had that 90's tall skinny skater boy look that I really, really liked. So did Josh Hartnett, who I had an enormous crush on in 1998.

I didn't think Kelsey was THAT out of whack for 26. I've been around 26-year olds who got that ridiculous, although usually not wanting some random road trip to do something stupid.

Anyway, I'm glad Nico Tortorella is working again. He seemed to be having a dry spell after he left The Following. I think he also looks the best he has in awhile- again there was kind of an awkward....I remember someone who knew Nico from when he was modeling going on about how awful Nico looked. He rocks the hell out of Josh's look, which probably isn't that far from his own...he seems like a hipster type if you check out his Instagram.

Edited by methodwriter85

Andrew Keegan was basically the go-to "heartthrob" on a lot of 90's kid/teen shows- he was on Party of Five, Full House, 7th Heaven, as well as some film parts in Independence Day and 10 Things I Hate About You. I tended to like him because I am a sucker for a guy with short, glossy dark curls and big brown eyes.

I used to watch Party of Five, but I totally forgot he was even on it. For that show, my heart belonged to Matthew Fox and Scott Wolf.  (LOL.)

Of course, on this show, the younger characters would say, "Oh yeah, Matthew Fox, he was on Lost, right?"  *GRIN* 

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

My husband and I (both more than 40-somethings!) are really loving this show!  IDK - maybe reminding us of our youth?  Anyway, we don't look very deep to thing about whether it's realistic, just taking it for the cuteness that ensues.