Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Saw it a few times. Dude's sunglasses flew off. Bautista didn't go down, though.

ETA: Here's the Knight/Davis fight. I can't remember stuff right, because I could have sworn Davis went down hard. Gotta love Davey Johnson reacting to the ejections of Knight, Kevin Mitchell and Daryl Strawberry (from earlier): stick Gary Carter at third, and bring in Jesse Orosco and Roger McDowell, sticking one of them in the outfield depending on the Red at the plate.

(edited)

Retweet does not mean "agree"; however, I thought this was pretty fucking funny:

Jared Speckman ‏@Speck60  May 15

First time Bautista ever tried to hit the cutoff man.

Edited by gutette1
found a funnier tweet
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Saw it a few times. Dude's sunglasses flew off. Bautista didn't go down, though.

I'm pretty sure the only reason he didn't go down was because Beltre rushed in to hold him up : )

• Love 2

I find it interesting that Odor, who has a history of dirty slides, gets upset when someone does the same to him. I don't think it's because of the rule, either. Basically everyone involved came across like sore losers who can't let things go. The Rangers wanted to send a message, but waited until the 8th inning of the final game of the season series to do so? If they have a problem with Bautista, they should get him out instead of giving him a free pass. The whole thing would have been avoided if they hadn't hit him with a pitch! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, rippleintime17 said:

I find it interesting that Odor, who has a history of dirty slides, gets upset when someone does the same to him. I don't think it's because of the rule, either. Basically everyone involved came across like sore losers who can't let things go. The Rangers wanted to send a message, but waited until the 8th inning of the final game of the season series to do so? If they have a problem with Bautista, they should get him out instead of giving him a free pass. The whole thing would have been avoided if they hadn't hit him with a pitch! 

But there are unwritten rules though.  Unwritten rules that make it perfectly fine for drilling a player for showing too much emotion for hitting a home run, taking too long to round the bases, or rounding the bases too quickly, those rules don't apply to some players though such as David Ortiz.  Unwritten rules that say a pitcher can show emotion and celebrate but not a hitter.  Unwritten rules that say one teammate can choke another.

• Love 2
(edited)

Is Greg Zahn Canadian, if not, why is he commentating for the Jays?  He really seems to hate most of them, offers more criticism than anything, why isn't he a coach?

Edited by wintrygal
(edited)

I'm so glad someone finally said something about Zaun, I've been biting my tongue. His comments & attitude were idiotic. Don Cherry wannabe is right. 

Edited to not doublepost. This is who i was referring to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Zaun It seems like he is American, played for the Jays and is now working for Sportsnet, owned by Rogers. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 3

A few things

1.  I like players on both Texas and Toronto, but I think Bautista deserved the bean ball for the bat flip.  But then he dirty slided again and well deserved what he got.

2.  Does anybody else get the feeling that Vin Scully could tell tell you a really good bedtime story?  I get that feeling every time I listen to him call a Dodgers game.

1- I don't think any player deserves a bean ball. And if I could smack the ball like Bautista did, I'd flip the bat too. Flipping the bat after a huge homerun SEVEN MONTHS AGO doesn't justify being thrown at with a 90+ mph projectile. But the BS with the dirty slides needs to end.

https://twitter.com/Bk2012bk/status/650388428656218112/video/1

2- Vin Scully didn't tell anyone yet, but he does have a job lined up. He's gonna read the phone book, now that the LA version is under 100 pages. 

• Love 3

Damn. "Odor" is an apt name. Did the leg break?

Anybody else feeling nervous for Vin Scully because he made the cover of Sports Illustrated? It's like the magazine wants to see if bad stuff will happen.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Anybody else feeling nervous for Vin Scully because he made the cover of Sports Illustrated? It's like the magazine wants to see if bad stuff will happen.

Oh shit, I didn't think about that.  I was just thrilled they had Vin as the cover story since I keep waiting for Sports Illustrated to change its name to We Only Care About Football.

My opinion on bean balls is you never, ever deliberately throw at an opposing player.  Never.

• Love 5

I'm still irritated that somehow Joey Bats was in the wrong for the flip and deserved the beaning.  That game was epic, that moment was epic, and the bat flip was my everything.

I understand that in some circles Bautista is not well-respected but whatever.  I'd take him on the Yanks any day.  He's been my go-to guy to play as every time my son and I play the HR Derby on MLB '11 for PlayStation.

• Love 4

The Braves fired manager Fredi Gonzalez and bench coach Carlos Tosca.  That's all well and good but the front office is the problem, not the managerial and coaching staff.

(how difficult is it to manage a bench anyway??)

(edited)

Well, I think firing the coach and bench coach is basically saying "we're not allowing the same culture of the clubhouse to exist."  The guy from AAA was promoted. Good luck to him!  eta- and Terry Pendleton is the new bench coach.

The Toronto/ Texas Suspensions:

5-  Bautista will be suspended for one game

4-  Right-hander Jesse Chavez, who hit Prince Fielder in the thigh with a pitch following the initial skirmish, will receive a three-game suspension

3-  Elvis Andrus will get a one-game suspension for throwing a punch. That appears to round out the bans on the Texas side of the equation.

2- Toronto skipper John Gibbons will be hit with a three-game suspension. He’s being punished for returning to the field after previously being ejected.

1-  Rangers second baseman Rougned Odor is set to receive an eight-game suspension for his role in the recent brawl with the Blue Jays. Odor is expected to appeal the ban, which will at least delay its application and could theoretically result in some reduction.

Edited by King of Birds

New rule: if a manager is ejected and his team gets into a fight where both benches empty, he is allowed to back up his players . . . as long as he wears glasses and a fake mustache, like Bobby Valentine.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, King of Birds said:

2- Toronto skipper John Gibbons will be hit with a three-game suspension. He’s being punished for returning to the field after previously being ejected.

And yet, John Farrell was just fined for returning to the field after being ejected.

(edited)

So nothing to do with the Texas /Toronto thing.

Normally I get a queasy stomach when the Nationals play the Mets, but tonight I didn't (I think having NCIS to watch helped)

So my team lost 2-0, at least they didn't get slammed by 10 or more runs like my other two teams did.

Also it seemed the Nats/Mets game was the fastest ever played, because it was over by the time I got back to it after NCIS.

Oh and did you hear the former Braves manager kind of learned he was fired from an Airline reservations email.

Edited by jennifer6973
wanted to add something
(edited)

My heart is so warmed seeing such positivity towards Bautista here. 

If you guys know about that Game 5 between Texas and Toronto, you would know how heightened the emotions were, how high the stakes were, how on the line everything was and how the Jays thought they were down and out because of the weirdest play/Russell's error in history.  I'm very sure every single Blue Jay, including Bautista himself, completely blacked out when he hit the HR.  A couple have said as much on camera.  I can't believe anyone would begrudge him the batflip in that very heated moment, but whatever, that's Texas for you!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Khris Davis's third home run of the night was a walk off Grand Slam to lead Oakland over Texas 8-5.

A story that would normally give me all the warm fuzzies is marred by the stupid way his name is spelled. I understand this is my problem, not his, but there it is.

• Love 2

The Padres are in trouble with the gay community.  Last night was "Out at the Park" night, meaning gay night at the park, and they invited the San Diego Gay Men's Chorus to perform the national anthem.  But instead of turning on their mikes and letting them sing, they played a recording of a woman's voice, and then when it was over, that was it, no announcement, no apology, the chorus just stood around until finally they just left the field.  The team has, belatedly, apologized, but the Gay Men's Chorus is asking the city to investigate the incident as a hate crime.

• Love 2

Apparently the Padres organization had tried to make the members of the Gay Men's Chorus pay for tickets to the game before performing.  I wonder how many other national anthem performers have to pay for tickets.  Only after several discussions between the Padres' management and San Diego Pride, did the team rescind that requirement.

• Love 2
On May 19, 2016 at 10:14 AM, attica said:

A story that would normally give me all the warm fuzzies is marred by the stupid way his name is spelled. I understand this is my problem, not his, but there it is.

I say it like so: "K-Ris." That's my small contribution to the revolution.

On May 21, 2016 at 0:52 AM, King of Birds said:

If nothing else, the pitcher pointing to first base will really emphasize what a chickenshit rule the intentional walk is. "(points) I'm too afraid to face this guy."

• Love 1

And so many of the guys on the Cubs are ex-Red Sox. And that story about David Ross and Heyward is great.  One of my RedSox crazed fans, she still wears the Ross #3 jersey to games. Great guy in his final year. Let's hope we see him coaching soon.

The "baseball is scary" moment today has to be the Vogelsong HBP. I found a twitter video link and it's not fun to watch.

• Love 2

Matt Harvey. OK, not a huge Mets fan but I kind of like them. He is really not doing well. I think he's done tonight in 5th inning. Murphy just rocked a monster HR, upper right field. I think he needs a mental week off. (yes, Matt's out. 6.08 ERA) The talk is that his (and DeGrom's too) arm is feeling the stress of all the pitches throughout the post season. Could be. 

They need to send him down to work out stuff and get away from stuff. He's 27 years old and he needs to straighten out if he wants to get paid.

He and Michael Pineda need to hang out.