Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

My team is losing to ebk's team.  It's going to be a long year.

It's a tie!  Yay?  

I love Spring Training

Kissimmee isn't close enough?

I believe the Astros are going to share the facility in West Palm with the Nats starting next year.  So nothing in the center of the state.  

Someday I suppose I should check out the West Palm stadium.  Someday...

• Love 1

Are we talking about them wanting a new Spring Training Stadium, because after next year, they won't have anyone close?  I mean they have a point, those poor millionaires having to take very long bus rides everyday could be bad for the ego.  

But in all seriousness, I'd be sad (even though it's the Braves) if they move away from Central Florida, because then there would not be any team close to me.

I was referring to the new and unnecessary stadium being built in the Atlanta suburb of Marietta, smack dab in the middle of two major interstate exchanges and no public transportation even remotely nearby but much closer to the wealthy fan base.  Screw everyone else! 

Unecessary?!? Turner Field is twenty years old!

That means it was built last century!

I'm in the middle of a book called "Field of Schemes" which tells about the stadium building spree of the past 20+ years and how teams have held cities, counties, and states hostage to get public financing for new facilities.  Turner Field would be considered "economically obsolete" in today's stadium climate.

• Love 1

To me the way Atlanta (and it's suburbs, I suppose)roads are built, I'm surprised anything can be built anywhere.

I guess since they are getting a new stadium, they want a new Spring Training facility also.

Don't get me wrong, Kissimmee is close but Viera I think is just a bit closer and I think it's sad that both are moving.  

I'd pray for a hurricane to knock the whole thing down, but then I'd have to hunker down and that would be mean of me to ask for.

Plus for me to go to Viera, I pass by the old Astros ST facility in Cocoa.

I've often wondered about Cocoa Stadium and what its story was.  They hosted the Astros at one point?  I think I've mentioned before that I'm in the Melbourne area a lot so I drive past it on 520 when I'm getting onto I-95.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've often wondered about Cocoa Stadium and what its story was.  They hosted the Astros at one point?  I think I've mentioned before that I'm in the Melbourne area a lot so I drive past it on 520 when I'm getting onto I-95.

The Orlando Sentinel mentioned it in a story they were doing about the Astros last year in Kissimmee.  Whenever I used to drive over to Cocoa I thought that would be a great Spring Training facility for someone.  Then I realized the traffic would have been horrible since it was built before 520 had 4 lanes.

Edited by jennifer6973

I gave up on the Orlando Sentinel several years ago except for Scott Maxwell's column.

Too bad Vero Beach can't lure anyone to Dodgertown.  Then again maybe that's the way it's supposed to be, in memory.

• Love 1

The game is Saturday, and I'm like a kid the week of Christmas.

We'll be out there by 8 for the 1pm start, because I heard the practice field opens at 9:30.  Fingers crossed my nephew gets to meet his favorite player (Moose).

I'd even sacrifice meeting mine (Gordo) for that.

• Love 2

We're here in St Pete!  Had a fabulous dinner tonight at Z Grille.  Tomorrow - Phillies and ... another team ... at Bright House Field (home of the best beer selection of the spring training sights!).  Can. Not. Wait!!!

Saturday - O's (and another team) in Sarasota.  Sunday - Pirates (and another team...do you sense a pattern here?) in Bradenton.  

There will also be more food.

Love Spring Training!

• Love 4
(edited)

Are we all living vicariously thru gutette1 and ebk57 - or just me?  Kids at Christmastime indeed.

ps- What are the odds eb57 goes home with more bobbleheads?  Do they sell those at spring training?

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 2

The game is Saturday, and I'm like a kid the week of Christmas.

We'll be out there by 8 for the 1pm start, because I heard the practice field opens at 9:30.  Fingers crossed my nephew gets to meet his favorite player (Moose).

I'd even sacrifice meeting mine (Gordo) for that.

If you meet Lorenzo Cain tell him I love him!

My first game is tomorrow as well, Pirates versus Braves at Disney.  I'll be wearing the Greg Maddux jersey my boyfriend bought me last year but cheering for Cutch at the same time.

I'll be wearing the Greg Maddux jersey my boyfriend bought me last year

Wait! I thought Maddux was your boyfriend!

(just kidding. i well know the way a baseball boyfriend works.)

• Love 3

Are we all living vicariously thru gutette1 and ebk57 - or just me?  Kids at Christmastime indeed.

ps- What are the odds eb57 goes home with more bobbleheads?  Do they sell those at spring training?

Not expecting to take home any 'heads.  But the O's did "invite" us to a pre-game picnic at the park, which included all the hot dogs, burgers, popcorn, soda and water we could eat/drink.  And, a Matt Weiters 'head.  For the low, low price of $23 each.  We will be going out for a real dinner, thank you very much.

Besides, I already have the Weiters 'head.  So there.

• Love 2

I'm listening to the Phillies/Braves on MLB At Bat and is it my imagination or does the Braves play by play guy occasionally sound like he's doing a Johnny Carson impression?

ebk57, do you have Quackerjack, the Long Island Ducks mascot? They're in the independent Atlantic league.  I was going through some stuff, and I have an extra.  Back when I worked at Newsday, we had tickets and a suite.  I went to a ton of games and collected a bunch of their stuff.  He's been in the box for close to 10 years, and if you would like it, send me your info, and it's yours!

i-QK4hTF3-M.jpg  i-NRL3zrm-M.jpg

i-xPqFrfx-M.jpg  i-frdvR8x-M.jpg

• Love 1

So remember when I said I wasn't getting any 'heads this weekend?  On the way into Bright House Field, Briggs and Stratton were having some kind of event.  And I saw boxes of 'heads on tables.  So I asked.  If we agreed to "test" a lawn mower on camera, we got a 'head and a ten dollar bill (Hamilton!).  So... if you see me in a commercial for Briggs and Stratton at some point, I apologize.

IMG_20160304_171800_zps68qnnbhj.jpg

I've whored myself out for a 'head and a ten.

Moose135, I'd love the duck!!  I'll message you.  Thanks so much!!!

Oh yeah, there was a game.  12-11, ending on a walk-off 3 run homer.  Amazingly bad.  But...it's baseball!!

• Love 1

I should have placed odds on ebk taking home a 'head!  I'd be RICH!

And I'm hoping Moose can hook you up with QuackerJack. I mean, you don't START a bobblehead collection with QJ.  Just like you don't get the 1977 Evel Knievel Super Rare Supercycle with detachable Sidecar when you start your Evel Knievel collection. It's a piece for later.

Why yes, once upon a time, I did attempt to collect Evel Knievel stuff. I am a child of the 70s after all.

• Love 2

If you meet Lorenzo Cain tell him I love him!

Done and done.  He got hit on the instep (I think) earlier today...shall I offer a "Kiss to make it better?" on your behalf?

Why am I nervous about going tomorrow?  It's...like a first date, or somethin'.

No Cutch at the game today as a Pirates fan I talked to said he was given the day off to spend it with his family since they live nearby. 

Phil Niekro presented the lineup for the Braves and Fred McGriff was there as well, I'm guessing in a coaching capacity.  The Crime Dog looked great, like he could still rip one out of the park. I'd also forgotten how handsome he was (and still is).

Braves lost.  I spent $7.50 for a bottle of beer and $9.25 for a turkey sandwich that came with absolutely nothing else.  Gotta love those Disney prices

• Love 3
(edited)

*floats in on a cloud of blue stardust*

WELL!!

We walked over to the practice field, where the next AB was...Alex Gordon!  Sadly, he couldn't hear what I had to say, as 1. I was too far away, and 2. pretty sure only dogs heard it.

Afterwards, only a couple of minor-leaguers stayed to sign.  One was very sweet to the Nephew de gutette, and even joked with him a bit.

We got to the park to find our seats.  NdG trotted down the aisle...and down the aisle...and...

There we were: right behind the dugout.  In the seats behind the edge of the dugout, right next to the on-deck circle.  The dugout was our desk during the game.  Have I said "dugout" enough??  It took us five minutes to stop gaping and jumping up & down!

Then we went to the souvenir tent -- he bought a baseball, I bought an Eric Hosmer doll, because I'm a girl.

Then we went back to our seats.  Drew Butera came over to the gate next to the DUGOUT (drink!) and started signing a few, so NdG squeezed in there, too.  I told him afterwards: "That's the guy who caught the last out in the World Series!"

The WS trophy was presented (again), the WS pennant was raised, and Hoz, Esky, Salvy, & Ned were awarded plaques for the Surprise (Az) HOF.

Some 40ish chubby dude was hanging out, over the fence, near the DUGOUT (drink!).  I speculate that the couple of players who might otherwise have come over to sign for the kids didn't, because this guy & a few other adults were standing in front of the 10-year-olds.  Ah well.

We were so close to all the guys as they came up to prep for their at-bats! and I yelled out to Mike Jirschele (3rd base coach) & Ned Yost as they came into the DUGOUT (drink!) that first time -- and got smiles.

Later on, Nice Guy sitting next to NdG yelled at one of the coaches to toss him one of the balls, which he did, which the Nice Guy turned around and gave to NdG.

All in all: Absolutely, one of my Best. Days. Ever!!

myaimistrue:

p.s. LoCain was MIA, except for taking a few swings at BP.  I mentally telegraphed the love.

Edited by gutette1
  • Love 7

So... the O's stink.  

I've seen 2 pretty, pretty bad baseball games so far.  When your team brings in #98 to pitch in the 4th inning, you know they've conceded the game.  But - no one remembers the spring training champ, right?  And... it's baseball!!!

Tomorrow - Bradenton.  And since the O's managed to eke out 5 runs tonight, we get free frozen custard at Culver's.  Yay!

• Love 1

Maybe you'll get to see Cutch today in Bradenton!

I did!  I had a lovely view from my seat behind the Pirates dugout (drink! :-) ), even though I was 11 rows up.  Every time he came out to the on deck circle, I thought of you.  In a totally non-creepy way... 

It was a perfect day.  And now my spring training baseball is over.  I only have food left to look forward to for tonight and tomorrow.  

• Love 3

It was a perfect day.  And now my spring training baseball is over.  I only have food left to look forward to for tonight and tomorrow.  

If you find yourself back in the Tampa area and enjoy Spanish/Cuban food I highly recommend going to The Columbia restaurant in Ybor City.  There are a few other locations scattered around (including one in the Orlando area, yay!) but the original is really special, having been there since 1905.

If you find yourself back in the Tampa area and enjoy Spanish/Cuban food I highly recommend going to The Columbia restaurant in Ybor City.  There are a few other locations scattered around (including one in the Orlando area, yay!) but the original is really special, having been there since 1905.

That's our "leaving town today" tradition.  We'll be there for lunch on the way to the airport.

And if anyone is in St Pete looking for food, FarmTable Kitchen is fabulous.  It's even better than Z Grille (which is pretty damn great).

I have an opportunity to go to Great American Ballpark this summer.  Has anyone every been?  Any suggestions for seating and food?

I've been there.  I think it was in 2009 and we sat downstairs on the first base side.  It was unremarkable.  Sorry I don't remember any food in particular or really much of anything about the place.  Although I do like the riverboat thing in center field.

• Love 1

jennifer6973 - wow. Just imagine the poor team that theoretically was 80-81 due to a rainout.  Talk about something that'll never happen.

Now, I actually contemplated this before posting- it's somewhat on topic, somewhat not. But how the hell else can I reach Yankee fans?

Today at the Trump press conference: Trump wine, Trump steaks, Trump water... and Paul O'Neill.

Today at the Trump press conference: Trump wine, Trump steaks, Trump water... and Paul O'Neill.

The only time I've ever seen Trump 'in the wild' was at Yankee Stadium. (I work near TT; I sometimes see the kids outside.) Maybe they play golf together?

Oh Paul O'Neill, I expected much more from you.  After all you were on 'Seinfeld.'

He was inspired on "Seinfeld," is very engaging on the Yankees broadcasts, but comes across as ... um, limited intellectually.  His choice in candidate is not surprising.  Sad but not surprising.

• Love 3