Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Wait wait WAIT.  It's not a JOKE that J.A. Happ has hand, foot and mouth disease?!?

What's going on in New York? There may be a need for a memo about washing one's hands after taking a shit.

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Someone check on @ebk57.  The O’s are cleaning house.

I'm okay at the moment.  Adam Jones is still here...for the moment. 

The thought that he's refusing a trade to stick it to the team for some reason amuses me.  I don't know if it's true, but it makes me smile.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, kariyaki said:

What's going on in New York? There may be a need for a memo about washing one's hands after taking a shit.

Sadly, it's also spread through coughing and sneezing and is highly contagious, so it's not as simple as just washing your hands (although that can help). I had it in high school and it was horribly painful. My tongue swelled up so much I could barely talk and the doctors wanted to give me steroids to stop it from swelling further and causing difficulty breathing and to prevent choking.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

Sadly, it's also spread through coughing and sneezing and is highly contagious, so it's not as simple as just washing your hands (although that can help). I had it in high school and it was horribly painful. My tongue swelled up so much I could barely talk and the doctors wanted to give me steroids to stop it from swelling further and causing difficulty breathing and to prevent choking.

Oh, I know, my brother had it run rampant through his household last year. He has five teenage boys, who apparently had questionable hygiene. They pretty much had to empty their rooms and hose them down with bleach -- the rooms, not the kids... though, come to think of it, possibly the kids as well.

• Love 4
Just now, mojoween said:

There was no interest in Sonny Gray at the trade deadline?

No one?  Bueller?

Ha. I was shocked that the Astros were able to move Ken Giles.

I feel like the Yankees are trying to one-up the Mets.

DeGrom gets hand, foot and mouth?  Watch this, Happ did too.

Mets get shelled in a game against a division foe?  Yanks say hold my beer.

(because, honestly, 25-4 or 7-1 who cares, it’s terrible)

Now watch Didi come in to pitch and plunk Adam Jones.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Mets get shelled in a game against a division foe?  Yanks say hold my beer.

I know your pain. Astros got swept recently by the Rangers, who STINK, I still can’t figure out how that happened. But they just won 2 of 3 from the Mariners, who were knocking on their back door and now the lead is a bit more comfy. 

• Love 1

Everybody is roasting the Mets about their lack of activity going into the deadline. I guess management has faith that the team will be healthy and sane in 2019, banking that they won't be damaged to the point where the stars would basically amount to a sack of baseballs in trade value.

I figured the GM needed to be cut loose . . . then I remembered that's Sandy Alderson, and he's battling cancer. I think he should be asked to leave, because the Mets have been spiraling since 2016. I know, they made the wild card game that year, but the injuries were rampant. I'm still convinced Bartolo Colon was the team's unrecognized good luck charm.

ETA: Does 2015 count as well? They were floundering before the Flores non-trade and the Cespedes acquisition. After that, they played with house money from August to October.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I figured the GM needed to be cut loose . . . then I remembered that's Sandy Alderson, and he's battling cancer. I think he should be asked to leave, because the Mets have been spiraling since 2016.

Sandy has stepped away from GM duties - we have the three-headed monster in there now.  And from what/how Sandy said when he announced his illness, it sounded like he didn't have plans to return if/when he beats this.  I expect the Mets will name a new GM in the off-season.

• Love 1

Today  is the 40th anniversary of Thurman Munson's death and when Michael Kay was talking about it I can't believe that after all these years I'm sad and truly heartbroken over it. I grew up with the Munson Yankees and he was no doubt my favorite player. I really cannot watch tributes to him because I cry a lot. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/documents-shed-light-on-the-life-and-death-of-thurman-munson/ar-BBLo1CK?li=BBnb7Kz

• Love 1
4 hours ago, prican58 said:

Today  is the 40th anniversary of Thurman Munson's death

39th anniversary, he was killed in 1979.  I was in college at the time, it was summer break, and I went to see the Mets play that day at Shea Stadium.  They had a twi-night doubleheader (remember those!) against the Pirates, first game started around 4, I think.  In the bottom of the first, there was a delay, the batter stepped out, and there was a buzz in the stadium.  We couldn't figure out what was going on, until we saw the message posted on the scoreboard about Munson's plane crash.  At the start of the second game, everyone stood for a moment of silence in his memory.  The big ball park got eerily quiet, then a sound started in the distance, low at first, but growing, until I recognized the roar of a jet taking off from nearby LaGuardia Airport, and flying directly over the ball park.  Talk about having the hair on your neck stand up!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Relatively reasonably priced tickets procured for the Mets game tonight.  One more 'head for the office!!  

Then a week of theatre and drinking - yay!!!!!!

I’ll bite. How much? And tickets plural? Who’s going with you?

It’s funny . . . my supervisor at work has a Noah/Thor bobblehead from a few years back. She’s not going to tonight’s game.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I’ll bite. How much? And tickets plural? Who’s going with you?

It’s funny . . . my supervisor at work has a Noah/Thor bobblehead from a few years back. She’s not going to tonight’s game.

Club level,  section 32something. $24 each. Mr ebk and my best friend from junior high school (he lives in Washington Heights) are going with me. If I could have gotten tickets under $20, I may have bought an extra. Alas ... 

• Love 1

Okay - train mucho delayed, so we just got to the hotel.  I re-listed the tickets and was just going to offer to email them to someone here...but some stranger bought them.  

I love StubHub... 

Sorry strangers :-)

Aw, you're missing out on the bobblehead you were going for, @ebk57? Bummer.

Next week is Legends Weekend for the Astros. Among the gate giveaways is a Springer rainbow jersey and a Beltran bobblehead.

• Love 2

@ebk57 goes to see a Mets game, they manage a shutout. If I do that, they'd lose when they give up 20 runs in the ninth inning, and the best part would be when I get knocked out by a line drive midway through the rally.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

@ebk57 goes to see a Mets game, they manage a shutout. If I do that, they'd lose when they give up 20 runs in the ninth inning, and the best part would be when I get knocked out by a line drive midway through the rally.

I get no credit - I wasn't there.  Kinda reminds me of when I went to Tuscon a few years ago.  We had a morning flight so we could get there, hop in the car, drive to Phoenix and get a 'head.  Of course, the flight was cancelled, we scrambled for another and ended up getting there just after the game started - all 'heads gone!  On the way to the car after, I was chatting with a dad and his 2 little girls, and they generously gave me one of theirs!  It was lovely!!  That's some good parenting there!

And @kariyaki, I'm a little bummed about not getting the 'head, but really, I had to rearrange a few 'heads last week to fit the Trey Mancini 'head I got into the collection.  My office is quite full.  Those giveaways in Houston look great!

• Love 5

My mom bought me a display case for my bobblehead collection, although I really don't have that many. But at least now they have a home, instead of being spread out all around the house. I think the neatest one I have is the Charlie Morton one from Game of Thrones night. Now, I don't give two figs about GoT, but he really does look cool sitting on a throne.

s-l300.jpg

• Love 2

The Os are doing a Kevin Gausman GoT 'head on the 14th...which they're now advertising just as a "Game of Thrones" 'head.  That's what happens when you trade the guy away before the giveaway.  I can't make it to that one either, because it's on a weeknight right after I get back from vacation.  I'm thinking ebay...in a couple of years.

On 8/2/2018 at 10:23 PM, Moose135 said:

39th anniversary, he was killed in 1979.  I was in college at the time, it was summer break, and I went to see the Mets play that day at Shea Stadium.  They had a twi-night doubleheader (remember those!) against the Pirates, first game started around 4, I think.  In the bottom of the first, there was a delay, the batter stepped out, and there was a buzz in the stadium.  We couldn't figure out what was going on, until we saw the message posted on the scoreboard about Munson's plane crash.  At the start of the second game, everyone stood for a moment of silence in his memory.  The big ball park got eerily quiet, then a sound started in the distance, low at first, but growing, until I recognized the roar of a jet taking off from nearby LaGuardia Airport, and flying directly over the ball park.  Talk about having the hair on your neck stand up!

Yeah, Moose I realized that as I was writing it but forgot to edit it. Still 39 or 40 it's still sad.

• Love 2

That was during the time I was aware of sports, but not into sports so I don’t have a connection to Coney.  I still think of him as a Met anyways, ha.

25 is Texy’s number to me.

Yesterday was such a palate cleanser after the debacle since Sonny.  Sorry White Sox, nothing personal.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Tough loss for the Phillies. I know everyone is blaming Dominguez because he gave up 2runs in the 9th to send the game I to extra innings. But then the Phils had 5 innings to score a run. Just one run. And they couldn’t do it. 

16 hours ago, smittykins said:

Ok, am I the only Yankees fan who still considers 36 to be Coney’s number?

I still think of Cone as a Met, I've blocked out that time when he went to play for the Evil Empire.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, topanga said:

Tough loss for the Phillies. I know everyone is blaming Dominguez because he gave up 2runs in the 9th to send the game I to extra innings. But then the Phils had 5 innings to score a run. Just one run. And they couldn’t do it. 

First and third and no outs, arghhhhh........

• Love 1

Oh my. There is someone on second base right now for the White Sox who is absolutely stunning.

I just turned the game on so I have no idea who he is.  Sounds like Moncato, maybe?  Whoever he is, he is beautiful.

9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Oh my. There is someone on second base right now for the White Sox who is absolutely stunning.

I just turned the game on so I have no idea who he is.  Sounds like Moncato, maybe?  Whoever he is, he is beautiful.

Yoan Moncada, yes. My mother was going on and on about how gorgeous pretty much the entire White Sox team is. 

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Yoan Moncada, yes. My mother was going on and on about how gorgeous pretty much the entire White Sox team is. 

I can absolutely endorse that!

One sports regret I will always have is never having been at Yankee Stadium to see the bullpen doors open and hear the first notes of “Enter Sandman.”

I have no idea why I thought of that, probably hearing walk-up music for one of the Sox.

Fun fact.  I think that Metallica is one of the worst bands of all time and I have great animosity for James Hetfield.

• Love 2