Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Screw you Joe Buck.  Let's keep the filthy Dallas Cowboys out of the MLB broadcast, hmm?  And why would I care what Bryce Harper thinks about Dak Prescott anydamnway?

On a side note, when Bryce is on the Yankees, he won't be able to dramatically flip his hair back when making diving catches in the outfield.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Yes, it was. And I wonder if Aaron Judge has had that joke made at him (probably) and who had to explain what Laugh-In was.

One of the reasons I was waiting for him to make the big leagues was to see if John Sterling(yes, I know)would say "Here comes the Judge!" when he hit his first homer.

17 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Where does Aaron Judge come from? If it's Texas, they could play the theme music from King Of The Hill. I'll  let you guess why.

Sorry, he's from Cali.

7 minutes ago, smittykins said:

One of the reasons I was waiting for him to make the big leagues was to see if John Sterling(yes, I know)would say "Here comes the Judge!" when he hit his first homer.

And Sterling did, didn't he?

Damn you Molina!

7 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I just got an At Bat notification (paraphrased):  "Who's your pick for ASG MVP?  Polls are open--vote now!"

Umm, don't you think we should wait until the game is over?

Are all the answers Aaron Judge...cause I fell like that is what they wanted. LOL

• Love 2
Just now, kariyaki said:

But Judge went 0 for 3! I say vote for the RBI producers. 

I know. My point was more Judge is the golden boy Yankee. I was being sarcastic. I'm just glad Nolan was two for two. 

It's gonna come down to whoever gets the walk off hit..IMO

22 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Tomorrow, Michael Conforto will go on defense in the eighth inning and be taken out on a stretcher. Or get to the on deck circle and be replaced when the American League switches pitchers. Maybe both at the same time.

He got a base hit, caught a fly ball, and didn't have a light stanchion fall on him.  I'd say that a successful ASG debut for a Met!

• Love 6
(edited)

Robbie Cano doncha know!

I love Starlin, but it would be nice if the Yanks could have them both.

The AL rules!  Four in a row woot.

I am amused that the game-winning HR was hit by a former Yankee and the pitcher who got the save is a former Yankee who was being caught by a current Yankee.  It's a wonder why people hate New York, really.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
(edited)

Shit.

Wade gives up the winning run????

Edited to add & take out:

A few DMs thrown my way to remind me that Robinson Cano came to Yordana's funeral. #boocano should be, and is, hereby revoked.

6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Screw you Joe Buck.  Let's keep the filthy Dallas Cowboys out of the MLB broadcast, hmm?  

Yeah.  That was weird.

Edited by rallymantis
Heat of the moment & all that

OF COURSE a Cubs pitcher gives up the winning homer, on a team coached by the Cubs' manager.  The only two Cubs there.  Guess its just not our year!  GO BREWERS/fickle fan.  Here on Chicago sports radio, they are (ironically) invoking R-E-L-A-X which is of course was famously said by Aaron Rodgers, the Packers being the bane of the Bears' existence.  That's desperation.

Dak and Zeke don't need a bunch of blowhards on their side -- they're just fine.

1 hour ago, rallymantis said:

What's everybody's take on the pitch clock?

I fear that my reaction is of the "Get off my lawn!" variety.  Just the thought actually makes me nervous.

Depends on the pitcher.   Like that one reliever for the Dodgers, he needs a pitch clock.

I was gonna be really excited because the long 2 day nightmare was over.  However, it looks like my long 2nd half season nightmare has just begun. 

Ah well...  

I wonder why more pitchers aren't raised with an ethos of working quickly. It's a good way to keep batters from getting comfortable, even the Nomaresque OCD types.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Sandoval has been designated for assignment by the Red Sox.  They'll probably have to eat his huge contract.

Yup. I doubt anyone else would want him.

Cut to Terry Collins. "Yes, Davey, I know that having a rotund guy pinch-hitting might be a good idea, but I don't think it would work out now, even if the guy doesn't dent the postgame buffer like Bart."

ETA: Woke up and tuned in to the Mets beating the tar out of the Rockies. I missed Seth Lugo's first homer, and the Mets' winning streak with a homer-hitting pitcher is still alive. On the down side, Cespedes got hurt. Again. Seriously, bring everybody holy to Citi Field. Priests, rabbis, clerics, medicine men . . . everybody.

7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Cut to Terry Collins. "Yes, Davey, I know that having a rotund guy pinch-hitting might be a good idea, but I don't think it would work out now, even if the guy doesn't dent the postgame buffer like Bart."

ETA: Woke up and tuned in to the Mets beating the tar out of the Rockies. I missed Seth Lugo's first homer, and the Mets' winning streak with a homer-hitting pitcher is still alive. On the down side, Cespedes got hurt. Again. Seriously, bring everybody holy to Citi Field. Priests, rabbis, clerics, medicine men . . . everybody.

My gods. That was painful. I don't know what's happened to my Rockies :(

It's going to be a fun day for the Yankees and Sox. Sixteen innings last night, a double header today.

(And then the Yankees have to fly to Minnesota for a game on Monday.)

I just saw that the current issue of Yankees Magazine(I'm a subscriber)has an article on Michael Pineda.  Who, of course, is facing possible Tommy John surgery and has just been transferred to the 60-day DL.

Coincidence?

(edited)

At Bat notification(paraphrased): OMG! Derek Holland throws glove to first base after the ball gets stuck!  You HAVE to see this!!1!1

Hmmm, let's see...Terry Mulholland, Orlando Hernandez, John Lester...

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 3
(edited)

The fact that ESPN can show TWO replays between Kimbrel pitches is exhibit R of why NY/Boston takes forfreakingever.

Also, Bradley robbing Judge of the HR wasn't THAT impressive.

Dammit!  The shutout streak is over.  I'm more upset about that than the loss, to be honest, because coming up with three runs in the ninth was a tall order, but I was hoping for at least one.  Last team in the major leagues this year to be shutout.  Wah.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Actually I thought it was AWESOME.

Meanwhile in Nats land, we give up Blake Treinan (and 2 prospects) for Ryan Madson and Sean Doolittle.  Yeah us.

Meanwhile the Nationals outscoring teams like they were the New England Patriots is fun and all, unless you root for the other team also and feel bad for tat team.  Thus why I don't gloat about it.  It is more fun to beat the Mets, Phillies, Braves and Marlins like that.

• Love 1

Off to Hollywood, FL tomorrow.  I have Marlins tickets tomorrow night and Wednesday afternoon, so I can knock another ballpark off the list! 

And, I exchanged my Sunday tickets at home for Saturday so I can get the infielders bottle stopper set (and so I can go see The King & I at the Kennedy Center on Sunday).  Maybe I'll run into @kariyaki on the concourse! :-)  (The less said about my team, the better...)

• Love 2
(edited)

YES is showing David Cone's perfect game and I had to really think about who the opponent was before I figured out it's the Expos.  

I know it's blasphemy but Old New Yankee Stadium is really ugly compared to New New Yankee Stadium.

Joe Girardi ran back to catch a foul ball and I was thinking how funny it was to see him as a player ten years ago before I realized that the game was nearly TWENTY years ago. 

Edited by mojoween

Girardi retired after the 2003 season with the Cardinals(he only played a handful of games due to being hurt most of the year).  Clemens won his 300th career game that year against the Cardinals, with Joe and Tino coming back to the Stadium for the first time since they'd left the Yankees.

My late husband, as I've mentioned, was a Mets fan, and he had to work the day of Coney's perfect game.  He came home around the 6th inning and I distinctly remember telling him "You touch that remote and you are dead meat, pal." By the final inning, even he was rooting for Coney.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I know it's blasphemy but Old New Yankee Stadium is really ugly compared to New New Yankee Stadium.

From what I've heard, and the pictures I've seen, Old Old Yankee Stadium (pre-renovation) was a better stadium than the one it eventually became. It had the limitations of of construction during the era of Ruth, but it also had the copper frieze and didn't have those weird tumors sticking out of it. 

2745810868_2c39556d6f_o.jpg

My favorite picture from that forum, people stealing seats at the last game before the renovation.

2703153178_ffd3748738_b.jpg

• Love 3

Astros' All-Star shortstop Carlos Correa to be out 6 to 8 weeks following surgery on a torn thumb ligament.  Bad news for a Houston team that has been one of the best we've ever had.

33 minutes ago, Mrs. P. said:

Astros' All-Star shortstop Carlos Correa to be out 6 to 8 weeks following surgery on a torn thumb ligament.  Bad news for a Houston team that has been one of the best we've ever had.

It's a bummer, yeah, but the Houston lineup is strong enough that Correa's absence probably won't hurt too much. Marwin will probably end up playing all the shortstop and he's batting somewhere around .310 this season. 

Now if it had been the Angels and Mike Trout had torn his-- oh, wait…

• Love 1

Astros always have Dollar Hot Dog Day at Wednesday night games, not usually for day games, but they're making an exception because tomorrow is National Hot Dog Day!

• Love 1

I feel like I shouldn't like Marlins Park, but what the hell - I do!  It's got a roof (yay, because it's about 150 degrees here), and it's all bright colors and there's that thing in center field, and instead of Racing Presidents, or Pierogies or Hot Dogs, they have Racing Sea Creatures...but it all works.  It sorta helped that there were only about 40 people there (well, maybe a few thousand) so not too much traffic, and the tickets are kinda cheap.  I was sitting right behind home plate surrounded by scouts.  Pretty interesting - once I figured out who they were.  And, of course, the Bobblehead Museum!  I have a bunch of the ones there.

Looking forward to going back tomorrow!

• Love 4