Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

On 8/12/2022 at 9:55 PM, twoods said:

There is no way a steroid is used to treat a fungal skin infection because steroids make it worse. . 

Actually, there are antifungal skin creams that contain prednisone, a steroid that decreases inflammation.  However, the skin is an excellent barrier to foreign substances.  Tatis says he was treated for ringworm which is treated with a skin cream, not oral medications.  While there could have been prednisone in the cream to help decrease the inflammation, it would not be absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream and out through the urine.

Therefore, his excuse, that he had a positive urine screen due to using a skin cream. is complete nonsense.  Doesn't happen.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

There may or may not be something exciting happening in Tampa right NOW.  If you see this, turn on MLB Network.

Well that was a quick disappointment.  Never mind.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

There may or may not be something exciting happening in Tampa right NOW.  If you see this, turn on MLB Network.

I turned it on and as soon as I did thr guy hit a double and broke it up so it may be my fault . Sorry about that .

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

I turned it on and as soon as I did thr guy hit a double and broke it up so it may be my fault . Sorry about that .

I think it was the mass group of people who turned on MLB Net at the same time.  We caused a blip in the Matrix.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Keyshawn Johnson complained last week about ESPN talking to payers during games and I fucking agree.

Now I can’t say that talking to Karl caused Gleyber Torres to react a little slowly on two plays, but I can’t not say it either.  Chatting with a player during an exhibition like the All-Star Game, sure.  Even during spring training, ok.  But not a real live game that matters.  Down with earpieces!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Amazing, a Yanks/Red Sox game runs for 2;15 Impossible.

This.  We got home from dinner about half an hour ago and the game was over!  How does that happen, and what do we watch now??

• Like 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, shoregirl said:

And I thank you for that... 

Edited by ebk57
spelling is hard...
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I’m finishing up “The Captain” and it’s funny … Jeter was never my favorite Yankee (there was a Bernie, then there was an Alex), but I appreciated him.  And in the last episode to hear Buck Showalter, who I have always liked, say “I got to see his first [hit] and his last [hit].  That’s pretty cool” got me a little misty-eyed.  And then Michael Kay’s quiet “so long, Derek”.  Oof.

Also, for a world-renowned supermodel, Hannah seems really really cool.  I’d watch a seven-part series about her.

• Love 1
On 8/13/2022 at 7:10 AM, cambridgeguy said:
On 8/12/2022 at 11:30 PM, Carey said:

In a sport and an era where you'd be left with nothing due to injury, I guess one cannot blame an athlete "cheating" to get back ASAP. 

Fernando Tatis signed a 14 year, 340 million dollar contract in 2021.  I'd say being worried about losing out on a big payday wasn't a factor here.

That is fair enough, and pretty much true.  I should've clarified that it wasn't about money, but instead, more toward one's position.  Of course, for Tatis this season, that would've been a moot point.

11 hours ago, ebk57 said:
12 hours ago, xaxat said:

Amazing, a Yanks/Red Sox game runs for 2;15 Impossible.

This.  We got home from dinner about half an hour ago and the game was over!  How does that happen, and what do we watch now??

I watching Family Feud & the $100,000 Pyramid simultaneous to Yankees / Red Sox.  I figured that both gameshows would be over, before another half hour of Sunday Night Baseball even with a 7:00 start EST.  I probably would've been pleasantly surprised if I didn't have the day off to start the week.  I'm so used to things being 2/3 over by 10:00 EST at best.  FWIW though, Saturday's game on Fox wasn't much longer so there's that

The Marlins have now scored 3 runs or fewer in 14 consecutive games, something which hasn’t been seen since the Cubs in 1979. Wow. The Marlins being pathetic knows no end, it’s beyond time to fire Mattingly, I’m not sure how much of a difference that will make though, the organization is just dysfunctional.

• Sad 1

Sandy Alcantara with yet another great outing - 7 shutout innings as the Fish beat the Padres. The Marlins still haven’t scored more than 3 runs in any of their last 15 games, they suck epically on offense, but give Sandy the Cy Young already, he’s magnificent, a 1.92 ERA with 11 wins and he always goes 7-8 innings. 

• Love 2

What the hell.  The Yankees are on TBS tonight, and I was watching it, and then it blacked out and says “The program currently being telecast is not available due to contractual requirements”.  I checked all the other stations, no baseball.  Anyone know if I can watch it anywhere?  Streaming?  Bueller?

NVM.  Amazon Prime.  On a Tuesday.  Fuck you, Manfred!

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

Yep and FYI Yankees and Jays on Friday is Apple TV. I'll be honest, I didn't want to watch it but a friend of mine was planning a night around it, like dinner and drinks and watch the game for a few people.

Then he realized it was Apple so nope. I mean we'll have dinner anyway but the game is out.

But it's just a good example of MLB alienating people from the sport with this shit.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was consistent, but like figuring out which of 5 platforms on a given night is bonkers.

Also since I'm here- people coming out of the woodwork to defend Tatis and say it was no big deal.and big bad MLB is being mean to poor Fernando the face of baseball are just making me respect the guy less and less. 

Edited by cleo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, cleo said:

it's just a good example of MLB alienating people from the sport

Exactly. I get that everyone has a cell phone, but hardly anyone has the hundred or so dollars that is necessary to sign up for every streaming service created. Especially when those streamers sign exclusivity deals. Until we get some kind of coalescence on the streaming market, I'm just not going to bother- and the major leagues will only suffer as a result.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

A brief history of the curveball.

46 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Relax, we had a couple of starters go down early with injuries, but we still have a 3 1/2 game lead and Scherzer and deGrom going the next two days…

Yeah, it's just that the only team the Mets should be concerned about is the Dodgers. If Max and Jacob go sour, the Crackers are back in the NL East race.

• Love 1

Watching Yankees fans freaking the fuck out . . . but why?

Yes, it is imperative that they finish with a better record than the Astros, but there’s only 2.5 games difference between them. They got the division on lock (current magic number: 36), and they have a grip on the bye (magic number against current AL Central leader: 35). The situation mirrors the Mets, only the Yankees’ cushion has lasted longer.

Oh, and Houston’s magic number to get the first seed is 42.

ETA: “Yankee Stadium: Great Place To Get a Trim!”

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Pirates fan here. You have no idea what wretched truly is.

I’m a Marlins fan, and the Marlins are the definition of wretched pretty much. So yes calling the Yankees wretched is a bit overboard, I mean the Marlins just went 15 games without scoring more than 3 runs.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’m a Marlins fan, and the Marlins are the definition of wretched pretty much. So yes calling the Yankees wretched is a bit overboard, I mean the Marlins just went 15 games without scoring more than 3 runs.

At least you guys won a World Series this century.

• Hugs 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Braves take 3 of 4 against the Mets

And lost 4 of 5 to the Mets a week ago. 9 games against their main rival, a chance to make a real move in the division, and they lose half a game in the standings.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

And lost 4 of 5 to the Mets a week ago. 9 games against their main rival, a chance to make a real move in the division, and they lose half a game in the standings.

I think the Mets pretty much have the NL East wrapped up, the Bravos need to just focus on finishing strong and clinching the first Wild Card slot. 

I feel like I should get $5 off my cable bill for every game blacked out. 

Apparently Peacock's subscriber numbers have been flat the last few months. Oddly enough having random baseball games on at 11:30 in the morning on Sundays didn't result in a rush of people signing up. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I didn’t think of that. I just see the Mets lose and the fans at Cobb County doing their tired-ass chant over and over.

Seriously, the team left Turner Field and Atlanta in order to attract more “upscale” fans. I don’t want them to win. I don’t want their fans to even get a whiff of hope that they can overtake the Mets.

I hope I’m not getting too into this. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cleo said:

I feel like I should get $5 off my cable bill for every game blacked out. 

Apparently Peacock's subscriber numbers have been flat the last few months. Oddly enough having random baseball games on at 11:30 in the morning on Sundays didn't result in a rush of people signing up. 

I signed up, watched the game (which I think the Yankees lost, so that was five bucks down the drain), then forgot about it for a month so they got another five bucks from me, and cancelled yesterday when I finally remembered to.  If there is another Sunday morning game, I will probably sign up again, because I am weak.

• Love 1

Do you watch every game @mojoween? Just curious. I watch a lot, but sometimes whej theyre on a streaming platform it gives me an excuse to catch up on other shows.

There is too much tv lol. I feel like I have to quit my job to keep up with it all.

Although I was actually thinking of taking a week off in October so I could watch playoff games day and night lol. But I WFH so probably not necessary.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 3