Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Where can I get the Spanish and radio calls of Bartolo's shot? I like Gary Cohen's jubilation (with Ron Darling laughing), but I want stuff for comparison purposes.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Where can I get the Spanish and radio calls of Bartolo's shot? I like Gary Cohen's jubilation (with Ron Darling laughing), but I want stuff for comparison purposes.

This story includes a clip (I can't figure out a link to the video itself) that includes the Mets TV, radio, Spanish, and Padres calls of the play:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/177146798/bartolo-colon-home-run-mets-terry-collins

• Love 1

Thanks, Moose135. Gotta love Howie Rose on the radio call: "Repeating: Home run! Barolo Colon!" The clip also made Around The Horn and Pardon The Interruption. Didn't like Mike Wilbon taking exception to Bart's slow trot around the bases. Tony Kornheiser said it would've been a single had the ball hit the wall. I guess he didn't see Bart hit a double last season.

(edited)

And from what I remember, his home run trot is actually the fourth slowest this year(David Ortiz has two of the top three).

And of course, now I can't find where I read it...

Found it!(about halfway down the page)

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1

I don't know how I feel about Aroldis Chapman.  Thank goodness for all of the dingers so his appearance was just a formality and wasn't essential to the victory.  I mean, he is a bad guy, right?

9 hours ago, mojoween said:

I don't know how I feel about Aroldis Chapman.  Thank goodness for all of the dingers so his appearance was just a formality and wasn't essential to the victory.  I mean, he is a bad guy, right?

I'd rather see the Yankees try to deal Chapman for a bat.  He's going to be a free agent after this year, and you know he'll want more than the $11 million he's getting now.  I'd rather the Yankees just let it ride with Andrew Miller.  He's been ridiculous since coming to the Yankees, and this season ridiculous is a big understatement.

During a break in last night's Mets/Dodgers game in LA, the stadium organist started playing Depeche Mode's "Break the Silence"! My ears did a double-take! 

3 hours ago, DXD526 said:

During a break in last night's Mets/Dodgers game in LA, the stadium organist started playing Depeche Mode's "Break the Silence"! My ears did a double-take! 

Is a real organist these days or is it a tape?  Whenever I hear the organ music at the Nats games at first I'm enjoying it & then I realize--it's a daggone tape.

(edited)
17 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Oh Lawdy...shades of the great Seinfeld show.  And how did I miss this article in the Washington Post?  So glad to know we have a real deal organist playing those jaunty tunes. Go Nats!!!

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Oh Lawdy...shades of the great Seinfeld show.  And how did I miss this article in the Washington Post?  So glad to know we have a real deal organist playing those jaunty tunes. Go Nats!!!

One season we had a mini flex plan in section 409.  You can see the box where he sits and plays.  I believe it's just under the press box/broadcast booths.  Which are practically in another zip code.  I'm surprised they all don't get vertigo all the way up there!

• Love 1
(edited)

God I love alerts so I can tune in to the MLB Network and watch Max Scherzer punch out his 20th batter.  Now with one out left...can he get 21?

Nope.  Damn.

Edited by mojoween
To bellyache about the last batter grounding out.
  • Love 2
(edited)

The Giants were a great adversary (a four pitch walk too - LOL).  Your team has such interesting looking men.  13 f***ing innings, 4.5 f***ing hours.  It started at 3:45 PM EST where we live, and ended at 8:10 PM?  It felt like I was watching it all day and I was - from the office to home!

San Francisco looks so beautiful.  Such a weird ballpark to me, but so beautiful.  I'm so jealous of the Blue Jays fans that live out there!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Holy crap. Noah's homered twice tonight. I just tuned in and found this out.

ETA: I'm so old, I remember hearing Walt Terrel's two homers against the Cubs at Wrigley. Sad, right? Oh, and Bart Ruth takes the hill tomorrow. I wonder how many Mets fans will invade the bleachers at Dodger Stadium.

@AndreaK1041 - what a week huh? Jackie Bradley Jr is out of his mind crazy good! I have loved watching the games this week.

(this makes up for ALL the west coast games that the Sox will pitifully play. They're terrible on this coast the last few years.)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The Giants were a great adversary (a four pitch walk too - LOL).  Your team has such interesting looking men.  13 f***ing innings, 4.5 f***ing hours.  It started at 3:45 PM EST where we live, and ended at 8:10 PM?  It felt like I was watching it all day and I was - from the office to home!

San Francisco looks so beautiful.  Such a weird ballpark to me, but so beautiful.  I'm so jealous of the Blue Jays fans that live out there!

I do love our men... a bunch of misfits that fit together really well. And yes, while I may be biased, I do think we really do have a lovely ballpark - there's really no bad seats. I gotta say, the blue jays fans are the loudest opposing team fans we've had at our ballpark, at least this season. that's a hard thing to do! Good luck to both our teams this season :)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Jackie Bradley Jr is out of his mind crazy good! I have loved watching the games this week.

I've enjoyed watching Jackie play since his college days (where he was on a back to back College World Series championship team with South Carolina) and knew he struggled early in his big league career so I'm thrilled he's doing so well these days.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Holy crap. Noah's homered twice tonight. I just tuned in and found this out.

ETA: I'm so old, I remember hearing Walt Terrel's two homers against the Cubs at Wrigley. Sad, right? Oh, and Bart Ruth takes the hill tomorrow. I wonder how many Mets fans will invade the bleachers at Dodger Stadium.

I think Bartolo started a little competition amongst the pitching staff!

• Love 2

Pirates is sort of a rejected name already. Back in the 1800's the franchise was named the Alleghenys. But after engaging in some contract shenanigans with a player on another team they earned the reputation in the league of being "piratical" in their business practices. 

The nickname stuck with the fans and what started out as an insult became their new name.

Speaking of old . . . TBS ran an episode of Seinfeld from 1994 that had George roping Danny Tartabull into a telethon. Anybody remember that guy? I liked this line from Jerry to George: "Okay, go do that thing where you lie to everybody."

• Love 1

I miss Simmons' columns. Great that he's breaking into TV in a big way, but I liked reading his stuff. I got Now I Can Die In Peace when it came out in paperback. Great look at the Red Sox from 1997 (I think) to 2005. I didn't buy the updated version, after the Sox won their second title.

Heard Papi tripled. How often has that happened?

What's the most likely scenario?

David Ortiz gets elected to the Hall of Fame but none of the previous PED users (Bonds, Clemens etc.) does.

David Ortiz get elected and the stigma on previous PED users is removed and they also get elected.

No PED users get elected, including Ortiz.

(If I understand the process correctly, Bonds and Clemens will be in their next to last season of regular eligibility when Ortiz comes up.)

As a Yankee fan I couldn't care less about Papi. I cannot wait for next season when I never have to see him again. 

Re HOF drug use, I can only say that Mike Piazza (whom I love) was always suspected but was never proven to have used PED's. So if Ortiz gets in I can't bitch. Still, I don't understand how Twins let him go but really you can never tell about a player ie Jose Quintana who was a Yankee farmhand in single A, I think, when he was part of a trade. It's hard to predict.

Hope Tanaka is on fire today. 

I had to do a double take when At Bat flashed this update just now while I am watching the Yankee game -

"Joe DiMaggio breaks out of an 0-7 'slump' with a first inning RBI single, scoring Phil Rizzuto."

And so the streak began!

Saw the benches cleared between the Blue Jays and Rangers. Reminded me of Mets/Reds in 1986, where Eric Davis and Ray Knight got into a shoving match at third base, and Ray sucker-punched Eric. Good times.