Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Not weird as I remember Joe as a game show host but also from NBC's baseball game of the week.  That was summertime appointment TV for me and my dad.

The Game of the Week was the best.  Joe and Tony Kubek - great way to spend the afternoon.

• Love 1

Yeah, that was weak-looking.

I got my Sports Illustrated today. Wound up with the regional cover of Harvey/deGrom/Famiila. The preview issue has the Mets winning 95 games in 2016, but they would fall to the Dodgers in the NLDS. Also, the Astros beat the Cubs in the World Series.

BTW that Henry the Puffy Taco and Ballapeno from the Missions are great! But... what unfortunate 'head is now relegated BEHIND QuackerJack? Looks like a Philly based one. 

In that picture, the new Phillies 'head is directly behind QuackerJack.  That has been moved...off to the side.  Now, in the back row of that shelf is Screech (Nats mascot), the Phillie Phanatic, and the Houston Comets mascot Haley.  It's a crowded shelf.

I got my Sports Illustrated today. Wound up with the regional cover of Harvey/deGrom/Famiila. The preview issue has the Mets winning 95 games in 2016, but they would fall to the Dodgers in the NLDS. Also, the Astros beat the Cubs in the World Series.

I got my SI yesterday as well and received the regional cover featuring the Cubs.  Being that I'm in Florida I'm trying to understand the logic behind that choice as the Mets would have made more sense.

Yoenis Cespedes watches a ball settle at his feet, claims he can't get it.  Umps rule inside the park home run.  Ump comes over, grabs the ball, and shows him how to field it.

http://deadspin.com/yoenis-cespedes-decides-ball-thats-right-there-is-unpla-1766886124

Thank you.  I saw mentions or pictures of this without context.

Sorry to go back to the LaRoche thing.  I think I could watch a whole Moneyball-length film about this drama.  I couldn't help but laugh at the social media reactions to these weird comments made by Adam Eaton:

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news/4699033-adam-laroche-son-drake-white-sox-clubhouse-adam-eaton

He did more for people than we did for him by having him there every day," Eaton said Saturday morning via 670 The Score. "It’s a difficult dynamic to understand, and that’s why there’s such a strong outreach for us."  OK, LaRoche's teammates made a connection with his son. That's understandable. The next part was a bit more baffling.  "We lost a leader in Drake, which is crazy enough that a 14-year-old could be looked at like that, but the kid was so tremendous."
Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Forget LaRoche's kid. Here's a story about the Ngoepe brothers, who literally grew up in a ballpark.

Their mother was a clubhouse attendant for a South African baseball club and they lived in the clubhouse. The Pirates made Gift, the older brother, the first South African to sign a pro contract and also signed his brother this year. 

I've been rooting for Gift ever since the Bucs signed him. He's a very good fielder but his bat is lacking so Triple A is probably his ceiling. But it's a great story that someone who grew up surrounded by the laundry machines of a team in South Africa could become a professional baseball player in the US.

• Love 2

The long (162 game) good-bye!

Thanks, Vinnie.

Glad you were there for me all those years, you made listening to baseball a wonderful auditory experience, I had many eargasms over the years thanks to you!

• Love 1

For you bobbleheaders in the NYC area, Yankees are having some promo bobble head days.

April 23 vs Tampa  Babe Ruth 

June 24 vs Twins   Mickey Mantle Triple Crown

Oct   01 vs  Balt.    Roger Maris 61 Home Runs

SIX more days.

====

Anyone want to join me with their magic 8-ball?

AL-E  Boston!  Why not? Worst to first... again. 

AL-C  Royals

AL-W  Astros

NL-E  Mets

NL-C  Cardinals.  (yuck)

NL-W  Giants

AL Wildcards - Blue Jays, Rangers

NL Wildcards - Cubs, Diamondbacks

As I'm still blocked from Dodger games I still detest them almost as much as the Yankees.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 4

Checking the Mets schedule for promotional items I'll never get around to picking up . . .

April 30: Noah Syndergaard-en Gnome (first 15,000)

May 27: 1986 Replica Jersey (all fans)

May 28: 1986 Champions Special Pregame On Field Ceremony

May 29: 1986 Replica World Championship Ring (first 15,000) (I got something similar back in '87)

July 3: Yoenis Cespedes Compression Sleeve (first 15,000)

July 29: Mike Piazza Replica Jersey (all fans)

July 30: Mike Piazza #31 Pre-Game On Field Retirement Ceremony

July 31: Mike Piazza Bobblehead (unspecified)

August 27: Matt Harvey Bobblehead (first 15,000)

September 17: Jacob deGrom Hair Hat (first 15,000)

September 18: David Wright Eye Black (first 15,000)

• Love 1

Checking the Mets schedule for promotional items I'll never get around to picking up . . .

April 30: Noah Syndergaard-en Gnome (first 15,000)

May 27: 1986 Replica Jersey (all fans)

May 28: 1986 Champions Special Pregame On Field Ceremony

May 29: 1986 Replica World Championship Ring (first 15,000) (I got something similar back in '87)

July 3: Yoenis Cespedes Compression Sleeve (first 15,000)

July 29: Mike Piazza Replica Jersey (all fans)

July 30: Mike Piazza #31 Pre-Game On Field Retirement Ceremony

July 31: Mike Piazza Bobblehead (unspecified)

August 27: Matt Harvey Bobblehead (first 15,000)

September 17: Jacob deGrom Hair Hat (first 15,000)

September 18: David Wright Eye Black (first 15,000)

Only 15,000?

SIX more days.

====

Anyone want to join me with their magic 8-ball?

AL-E  Boston!  Why not? Worst to first... again. 

AL-C  Royals

AL-W  Astros

NL-E  Mets

NL-C  Cardinals.  (yuck)

NL-W  Giants

AL Wildcards - Blue Jays, Rangers

NL Wildcards - Cubs, Diamondbacks

As I'm still blocked from Dodger games I still detest them almost as much as the Yankees.

Haha King of Birds should love the Cardinals.

Who hit Andrew? Whoever he is, he is my enemy now.

Miller was struck on the right wrist on a line drive by Braves catcher Willians Astudillo, forcing the tall lefty to exit the game.

Damnit, you made me read Pinstripe Alley when I googled to find your new nemesis. Now I've got yankee cooties in my laptop history!  Good luck hexing Willians!

edit- Jon Lester hit a HR?!?!?! And the world kept spinning...

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1

Bahaha your browser is now going to target Yankees apparel ads!

Ok Braves catcher. You and I are going to dance.

Although, Andrew has said that he doesn't understand why he can't pitch with his left hand if the injury is on his right so if the doctor pulls him, he'll just find another doctor. Get 'im, Andrew.

And since Bryan Mitchell's toe has broken and fallen off, we cannot lost any more hurlers.

• Love 1

Too little, too late. No Vin Scully for the majority of Southern California. I hate the Dodger management SO MUCH. I'm not pro-satellite providers either- they're moronic in their own special way.

But the Dodgers started TOO LATE in offering reduced prices - when their initial price was CRAZY and they did NOTHING about it for two full seasons. I listened to some Dodger president/ crybaby on sports radio this afternoon saying "oooh boo hoo, they didn't even meet us at the negotiation table... boo hoo"  And the radio guys bought it hook, line, sinker.  As if these assholes didn't know the Dodgers just wanted too much money, and wasted TOO MUCH TIME.  God I'm so pissed off.

It was a horribly stormy day so earlier this afternoon I turned on MLB Network and caught a game between Boston and Toronto played in Montreal!  Stade Olympique was packed, I loved hearing the PA announcer in English and French, and Russell Martin of the Jays, a Montreal native, got a standing ovation.  Basically I loved seeing baseball back in that town.

Tomorrow morning I'm flying to Buffalo for a business trip and hoped to possibly take in a Bisons AAA game but the weather forecast while I'll be there is freezing temperatures and snow.

• Love 2

So...if anyone in the greater Baltimore/DC Metro area is free Monday, I have an extra ticket to the O's Opening Day - $25.

(Unless I can get some sucker - I mean wonderful O's fan - to buy it on StubHub)

Sounds nice, but it's too long a trip for me to go. Right now, my priority for tomorrow is freeing up enough DVR space so that I can see Mets/Royals without distraction. Also: I think this is the first time two World Series teams have met on Opening Day in the following regular season.

(edited)

It was a horribly stormy day so earlier this afternoon I turned on MLB Network and caught a game between Boston and Toronto played in Montreal!  Stade Olympique was packed, I loved hearing the PA announcer in English and French, and Russell Martin of the Jays, a Montreal native, got a standing ovation.  Basically I loved seeing baseball back in that town.

They had a 2-game series and sold over 106 thousand tickets.

Also: I think this is the first time two World Series teams have met on Opening Day in the following regular season.

Should be - we've only had full-season interleague play since 2013.

Edited by Moose135
(edited)

Raise the Jolly Roger!

I am so glad ESPN dumped their strikeout zone graphic.

ETA, Oh no. I see the are using it for Mets/Royals. I was really hoping it was gone.

Edited by xaxat

I may be a Yankee fan but I am looking forward to seeing some of the Mets/KC game. I hate that it's on ESPN because I really do prefer to listen to the teams announcers. But I just want to see how Wright does because I still want him to win a WS before he retires. Let's face it a WS win would likely allow him to retire. I feel ok about saying that because I really don't think NYY's are going to be much better than they were last season but I am anxious to see how the Bombers handle themselves. 

Seriously, would love to see KC lose because I really don't like them. No reason other than they are a Yankee nemesis.

Half-watching the game. Amazing that David Wright needs three hours of warming up to combat his condition. If the Mets win the World Series, he'd probably pack it in, getting his number retired and a cushy commentator gig.

Starting a game at 8:30 isn't too bad. Back in 1999 or 2000, I had to get up at 5 a.m. to watch the Mets open their season in Japan. Wound up writing about my early morning experience for the local newspaper.

• Love 1

New reliever (Soria) & tension abounds. But I threw up in a bucket after it was all over & I think my sealegs are back.

Wade! stop fucking with my head....

Ahem. On a happier note: they raised the championship banner! and all those former Royals were there to share the joy. I cried a little, and wished desperately to be there instead of here.

At least the Mets didn't go out like punks. That has to count for something, right? Harvey going 5 2/3 means he can go deeper in September. And nice to see Bartolo again, though it's not an official experience unless he bats.

ETA: I got bored around 11 and tuned into HBO. Oh, man. John Oliver did a thing about how a Yankees exec is frowning upon people reselling tickets for premium seats, and he's offering six seats -- two per game -- for the Astros/Yankees series to people who are willing to NOT look like they've been in a premium area. If you got HBO, check out Last Week Tonight. So funny.

ETA2: Here's the hashtag on Twitter. Can't wait to see who won!

• Love 2

Happiness, just absolute and total bliss.  I even did the unthinkable and bought the MLB.TV video package.  Yes, I know, I am a sucker.  They're telling me the ancient video player I use because the fucking thing fucking works will be discontinued as of May 1.  I will use it until the bitter end.  I'm just so happy to see my boys back in action again no matter the unique hassles I must contend with as a cord-cutter.