Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Meh. I see zero reason for God Bless American even been done.    The National Anthem before hand is more than enough.   The 7th inning stretch should be for Take me out to the ball game and/or stadium specific traditions.

I completely agree as I've never been a fan of G-d Bless America.  Something about the song grates.

• Love 1

I completely agree as I've never been a fan of G-d Bless America. Something about the song grates.

Possibly because the song has Christian overtones. It really isn't a very good song, but it was written just before WWII and was used as a patriotic theme against anything Nazi/German/Hitler.

And hearing Kate Smith sing it, it becomes a spiritual moment.

But very inappropriate for National Sporting events.

• Love 6

Yup 0-2 teams do comeback , however that first game in Citifield is going to tell the story.

In 1986, the Mets lost Game 1 by one run, just like this year.  They lost Game 2 by six runs, just like this year.  Ask Bill Buckner how 1986 turned out...

• Love 3

In 1986, the Mets lost Game 1 by one run, just like this year. They lost Game 2 by six runs, just like this year. Ask Bill Buckner how 1986 turned out...

But the Royals don't have Bill Buckner.

(Ducking & running)

In 1986, the Mets lost Game 1 by one run, just like this year. They lost Game 2 by six runs, just like this year. Ask Bill Buckner how 1986 turned out...

But the Royals don't have Bill Buckner.

(Ducking & running)

Edited by roamyn

Intentional talk spoke about it on yesterdays show. It's not illegal for any player in the field besides the pitcher. I wouldnt be suprised if most catchers have it somewhere especially if it's chilly. I think you said it just right something out of nothing. Although I don't think it has anything to do with the Mets losing and more to do with media and twitter liking to make something out of nothing.

Edited by shoregirl

I also see no reason for God Bless America or Erin Andrews at a baseball game.

The first because it's a downer - GBA during games will forever be associated with post-9/11 for me.

The second because she sounds like an idiot, and she's so obviously just there for eye candy that it's insulting. Somehow the idea that their token female just happens to look like a swimsuit model is vaguely misogynistic IMO.

• Love 2

Is there some law that a sports reporter has to be pretty?

I should have been more specific in what I was wondering.  Erin Andrews seems to have little to no talent so I assume she was hired in the sports world for her appearance.  Obviously I'm a female who is into sports so this is not a critique on her but on the "system," for lack of a better word.

• Love 2

I love Meredith Marakovits, who might generally fall into typical blond woman inserted into sports media, but she is also on her game all the time, always knows what she's talking about and holds her own in the New York sports world. 

Gold Glove finalists were announced yesterday and I'm hoping this is the year Brandon Crawford finally gets his. He hit better than Andrelton Simmons, so he should have a shot! 

• Love 2

One of my Facebook memories from two years ago is "Erin Andrews' voice is getting more irritating by the second." I could not abide her behavior during that post-game ceremony.

I felt badly for her because of the hotel thing, but I've never been a fan of her reporting because it really did appear like ESPN hired her to be a hot piece of ass. Her move to FOX seemed to be to try to get away from that. And right now, as a fellow chick, I really hate her hair.

I just got the mail, and now I know what happened to the Mets...the SI curse. Murph is on the cover. "The Amazin' Murph," it says, wondering if he can stay hot.

Edited by mojoween

One of my Facebook memories from two years ago is "Erin Andrews' voice is getting more irritating by the second." I could not abide her behavior during that post-game ceremony.

I felt badly for her because of the hotel thing, but I've never been a fan of her reporting because it really did appear like ESPN hired her to be a hot piece of ass. Her move to FOX seemed to be to try to get away from that. And right now, as a fellow chick, I really hate her hair.

I just got the mail, and now I know what happened to the Mets...the SI curse. Murph is on the cover. "The Amazin' Murph," it says, wondering if he can stay hot.

I think they are local covers because KC got a cover too.  But since NY has more residents, it probably cursed them more.

• Love 2

I've never been a fan of Andrews, especially after they gave my Pam Oliver the boot in favor of her.

I like Pam Oliver as she's extremely competent. 

Speaking of women in sportscasting I'd love to hear Linda Cohn call a baseball game as I bet she'd be great.  On the rare occasions that I watch ESPN I've enjoyed Lindsay Czarniak as a studio host but that may be because she's married to uber hottie Craig Melvin of MSNBC.

• Love 1

When I lived in Northern Virginia about a thousand years ago (ok 11)  Sage Steele used to work for Home Team Sports (until I think it became CSN), and I loved how knowledgeable she was.  Plus Robin Roberts used to work for ESPN before GMA.

These are some awesome women in the sports media world.

• Love 1

The NY tabloids have been having fun with Syndegaard's resemblence to Chris Hemsworth's Thor. This was today's best image, with the tagline: Hammer Time.

It'd be fun if they had a bunch of Mjolnirs in the batting cage, right?

I love Meredith Marakovits, who might generally fall into typical blond woman inserted into sports media, but she is also on her game all the time, always knows what she's talking about and holds her own in the New York sports world. 

Gold Glove finalists were announced yesterday and I'm hoping this is the year Brandon Crawford finally gets his. He hit better than Andrelton Simmons, so he should have a shot! 

ripple, MM was an athlete in her native PA so she knows her stuff. My only complaint is that her questions tend to be leading so the answer is pretty well given by her.  Small thing for me b/c I like her, She's one of the guys, in a way.

Bobby Ojeda was doing the rounds on the radio couple days ago and he is so insightful. 

Here is John Harper's column and his Bobby O story.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ojeda-criticizes-mets-stop-pitching-scouting-report-article-1.2416279

Some folks in this town are talking about how the Mets are taking over NY, as opposed to the Yankees. I call B.S. Historically speaking neither team has been good/great at the same time.  "Nobody" cared about the NYY back in 1986-88 when the Mets were on top and "nobody " cared about the Mets from 1995-2000. Whenever these teams get real good at the same time then NY will just be split like back in the 40's and 50's when we had Dodgers, Giant and Yankees. No team will ever really be New York's Team.  

Edited by prican58
  • Love 1

Bobby Ojeda was doing the rounds on the radio couple days ago and he is so insightful.

Here is John Harper's column and his Bobby O story.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ojeda-criticizes-mets-stop-pitching-scouting-report-article-1.2416279

Some folks in this town are talking about how the Mets are taking over NY, as opposed to the Yankees. I call B.S. Historically speaking neither team has been good/great at the same time. "Nobody" cared about the NYY back in 1986-88 when the Mets were on top and "nobody " cared about the Mets from 1995-2000. Whenever these teams get real good at the same time then NY will just be split like back in the 40's and 50's when we had Dodgers, Giant and Yankees. No team will ever really be New York's Team.

I was at the game when Bobby Ojeda came back. It was difficult to watch.

There hadn't been a tragedy like that since Thurman Munson's plane crash (that I recall). It was horrifying. And then the Indians lost another pitcher later that year in a car accident.

love Meredith Marakovits, who might generally fall into typical blond woman inserted into sports media, but she is also on her game all the time, always knows what she's talking about and holds her own in the New York sports world.

ripple, MM was an athlete in her native PA so she knows her stuff.

Even if you didn't know she was a jock - you would know.  I love her - she's not just a beautiful woman, she's a huge goddamned Amazon. Not in any way a generic television blond.  God help me I tune into YES just to watch her - why can't the Mets get someone like her.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

Some folks in this town are talking about how the Mets are taking over NY, as opposed to the Yankees. I call B.S. Historically speaking neither team has been good/great at the same time.  "Nobody" cared about the NYY back in 1986-88 when the Mets were on top and "nobody " cared about the Mets from 1995-2000. Whenever these teams get real good at the same time then NY will just be split like back in the 40's and 50's when we had Dodgers, Giant and Yankees. No team will ever really be New York's Team.  

I was surprised to find out my Yankees fanatic father was rooting for the Mets.  Generally he doesn't even believe in their existence since they're an expansion team but he's rooting for the Mets because they're from New York.

Generally he doesn't even believe in their existence since they're an expansion team but he's rooting for the Mets because they're from New York.

The whole idea that the METS are the EXPANSION team just because Walter O'Malley STOLE the Dodgers and moved them to a coast without any baseball history - GRRRR.    I mean of course TECHNICALLY - oh, who am I kidding.  I KNOW I'm right but baseball is all about, you know, rules.

My mother was born in Brooklyn and she's the reason I'm a baseball fan at all - and she was a Giants fan :  the classy team, back then in the thirties. Her bookish older brother also favored the Giants (he ended up owning a bookstore, Mom was a teacher).  Her other brother, the mobbed up bank robber guy - backed the Yankees.  Of course. If her two sisters cared about baseball I never heard anything about it.

Significantly none of them were Dodger fans - kind of a problem since Mom settled in Los Angeles.  She LOVED Willie Mays.

My father was also born in Brooklyn, in Flatbush, yet he's been a lifelong Yankees fan.  My grandparents were big time Dodgers fans and my grandfather never got over his broken heart when the team moved to Los Angeles.

I visited Citi Field in 2012 and didn't quite get the rotunda and exhibit dedicated to the Dodgers as even though I knew they were trying to pay homage to city teams in general it just didn't work for me.

• Love 1

My dad was a baseball fan but never much for any particular team. He was a radio broadcaster of baseball in Puerto Rico and as a Dominican he had a love for the game. He knows it well and even did Yankee games on the local Spanish language radio station in NYC back in the 70's (the not so good 70's) so I kind of got the bug from him.

I used to be a die hard Yank fan and die hard Mets hater. Haven't been either for a while and while Yanks are my team I am rooting for these Mets. I so want them to win tonight and tomorrow.

I've been to more Citi Field games than Stadium games because a friend has season tkts to Mets games and Yankee games are too expensive. I also do not like the JR motif. I love Jackie and what he stood for but shit, he was not a Met. They should have had more representation of Yogi and Gil Hodges. Wasn't Duke Snider a Met? Not sure.

• Love 1

I said it before . . . it's a question of when the Mets will break my heart, not "if." Naturally, the LCS MVP botches a play, and the ultra acquisition gets doubled off first to end the game. And I'm pessimistic enough to think that this series will be the last time we see Murphy and Cespedes, regardless of how the Series shakes out.

Meanwhile, I'm coping with being a horrible fan, because I figure a five-game series would be easier for me in relevance to missing/recording my usual programs. I have to tell myself that it might be another fifteen years before the Mets come this far.