Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Let's Go Mets!  We've been waiting a decade for that hit by David Wright, and what can you say about deGrom - 13Ks, outpitches Kershaw in his post-season debut...going home up 2-0 sounds really nice.

Edited by Moose135

The announcing today for the Cubs/Cardinals.

Cubs rookies, Cubs rookies, Cubs rookies, Cubs rookies, Lester v Lackey old roommates, Cubs rookies, Cubs rookies, Cubs rookies,

Cards rookies, Card rookies.  game.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 4

eta: it occurs to me that I misread and you're stating that as a bid against a reverse-jinx?  lol

LOL, true, and as you can tell it's not completely working either!

My boyfriend's son is 11 years old and he likes the Texas Rangers for reasons only an 11 year old living nowhere near Texas can explain, so he hopes I continue to root for that bird named team from the great city on the lake north of the border.

he likes the Texas Rangers for reasons only an 11 year old living nowhere near Texas can explain

Exactly.

These are almost the best kind of fans.

On that subject: I believe somewhere on Grantland there is a link to a "30 for 30" short about SungWoo, the South Korean man who became a fan of the Royals in the days when only people who grew up in the Kansas City vicinity, were ever reasonably* expected to be Royals fans.

*"reasonably" should have air quotes

Edited by gutette1

I don't think I put the pitcher on my lineup. If I don't know the caliber of their pitching anyway, I don't.

------------------------------------------

btw someone should tell Bryce Harper that if he wanted grey/silver hair he could have asked for mine.

But it makes the color of his eyes pop.

https://instagram.com/p/8q1l3ugIXB/?taken-by=bharper3407

Edited by jennifer6973

On that subject: I believe somewhere on Grantland there is a link to a "30 for 30" short about SungWoo, the South Korean man who became a fan of the Royals in the days when only people who grew up in the Kansas City vicinity, were ever reasonably* expected to be Royals fans.

That was great and I loved watching him make the rounds last October.

Okay - shopping worked for game 1!!

However, I'm home for the rest of the evening.  I did switch from beer (last night) to wine (tonight), so maybe that will work for game 2.  Go Dodgers!

It should have been runner interference and Utley should have been tossed. And I don't have a dog in this fight and don't really like either team. At some point in this series I hope Utley has to limp to first.

• Love 9

I don't care to define what is a dirty slide vs what is a tough-nose hard slide.  Utley NEVER touched the base! For the Dodgers to have "won" that challenge is what's baffling to me. Most times if there is a close play to review, the player himself will stay on the field and point to the dugout to signal "challenge" - but Utley never even did that. He knew what he did, he took out the double play.

For the umps to "give back" the out and award a runner the base? What world are we living in?  It was a take-out play. Utley was out, he knew he was out, he left the field. 

• Love 8

TBS really could have used the services of a retired official like the have for NFL broadcasts. The guys in the booth had absolutely no idea what to make of the events of the seventh. The "slide", the botched replay call, whether the Mets should appeal at second. . .

Wow, this morning ESPN didn't even mention the fact that Utley never touched the base.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

Wow, this morning ESPN didn't even mention the fact that Utley never touched the base.

On Baseball Tonight Alex Cora said flat out "that wasn't a slide, that was a tackle" and said how it pissed him off that people were saying that Utley was an "aggressive" player, as though Tejada and everyone else weren't playing aggressively.  Dallas Braden instantly defended Utley and that was it - so that doesn't surprise me about ESPN.

It just seems like shit umpiring though.  I don't get it.  Either Utley was trying to slide into the base and never touched it - and he's out.  Or he was trying to break up the DP so neighborhood play should have been called - I thought preventing things like this is what neighborhood play was for.  Even Joe Torre seemed confused about what the rule in question was- he kept turning around to the ump guy behind him at the press conference to clarify.

• Love 3

Hubby pointed out that I don't like the team but have shown more emotion than Collins or any Mets player. Why weren't they screaming or clearing the benches or arguing with the umps or doing something that suggests they might be a little unhappy with the play and call? Way to have your teammate's back there, fellas.

• Love 1

The problem with retaliation now is that the umps are looking for it. So if Harvey hits Utley, warnings go out. And if Harvey dare pitch inside to any Dodger after that he risks ejection. 

Over a season, that's an acceptable risk. For a best of three, I'm not so sure.

• Love 2

I'm also disappointed that Collins didn't go harder in challenging the ruling.  He even said the umpires "did a great job" which seemed diplomatic to a fault. But  I have to assume he's concerned that his team Avenge Tejada by playing superior ball and going to the Series rather than injuring opposing players.  

• Love 1

For a guy with a broken bone in his leg, Tejada seemed awfully calm and relaxed. I was beginning to think he was faking the injury, I just couldn't figure out why.

But that made more sense than the rest of that play. I still can't figure out why Utley was called safe. He never touched the base and he ran off the field. How can he be safe? Has the world gone mad? Why did the Mets not seem to care? Sparky Anderson or Billy Martin would have been out there foaming at the mouth, but Collins seemed detached from it all.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 3

Thanks, I've been occupied with New York Comic Con. And I may be biased, but that's a dirty slide. I think Utley should be suspended for the rest of the NLDS. It's gonna be so ugly at Citi Field tomorrow night.

• Love 1

I am biased as well - but even so as I said above I think in the normal course of things there were only two possible things happening here and in both cases Utley should have been out.  Honestly his "slide" would have landed him well into center field if he hadn't collided with Tejada. Mr Rat was choleric that Utley should have been suspended, but as I said I think the real villain here is the shit umpiring that nobody (and not just the Mets) wants to challenge.

Still, I reiterate.  I am way less interested in seeing Harvey bean Utley than watching the Mets wipe the floor with the Dodgers.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

per MLB Network Chase Utley has been suspended for Games 3 & 4.  So no bean ball game tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------

I hope they didn't make him travel all the way to NYC just so he could stare at the four walls of his hotel room for three days.

Revenge can be botched. I remember when Roger Clemens made his first appearance at Shea since he chucked a broken bat at Mike Piazza. Everybody knew he was going to get hit . . . and the pitcher missed him. Yeah, even with that big butt of his, the pitch was about a foot behind him. I think Clemens felt bad about the situation, and he may have grooved pitches to Piazza and the pitcher (Estes, I think) for homers.

• Love 2

Utley is suspending and his appeal will be heard today so he'll get out of his hotel room for a bit before MLB sends him right back. He might get a reduction to one game but I don't see both games getting thrown out.

Utley is suspending and his appeal will be heard today so he'll get out of his hotel room for a bit before MLB sends him right back. He might get a reduction to one game but I don't see both games getting thrown out.

I was wondering how they were going to work that, since appeals during the regular season often take days to be heard.

My question is was Utley suspended for the play or for his own safety since games three and four are in New York?

He'd still have to face the Mets and their fans no matter where the game was played. 

Edited by ratgirlagogo

Utley appeal unlikely to be heard today

The appeal of Dodgers infielder Chase Utley's two-game suspension is unlikely to be heard before Monday night's Game 3 of the National League Division Series, according to a source. Major League Baseball requested an expedited hearing in hopes of having the issue resolved before Game 3. However, Utley's representatives and the Major League Baseball Players' Association asked for time to prepare their case, which would make Utley eligible to play until a hearing takes place.

He'd still have to face the Mets and their fans no matter where the game was played. 

Yes, but if he was suspended for these two games in NY, it "defuses" things, the next time he would have the chance to play would be in a potential game 5 in LA, where the reception wouldn't be quite so ugly.  Doesn't matter where he faces the Mets next, someone needs to put a fastball in his ear.

• Love 1

Just watched the play. Utley is nowhere near the base. He's so gunning for tejada, it's not even funny. That game was stolen from the Mets. And just because he want caught earlier doesn't mean what he did wasn't wrong.

• Love 3

Because Utley is appealing his suspension, he gets to play until the appeal is heard.  That won't be until at least tomorrow and probably not even then.  Utley will play both games in New York.

That is total bullshit. If that's the rule, they should hurry up and hold a hearing.

ETA: Looks like the Royals small ball expertise is back... this is fun to watch.

Edited by AndreaK1041

This game canNOT go into extras because once again I am waiting until the end of the game to go to the store. This time it's the grocery store but still.

Why doesn't the MLB doesn't consult mojoween on schedules?

I'm not an Astros FAN but I'm cheering for them to make this bottom of the 9th interesting.

• Love 1