Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I remember the '92 Braves having several weekday games during the NLCS with the Pirates.  We bitched at the time because the ALCS was getting the prime time coverage (back when only one network carried both and the series' played on the same day)  but now I think it would be cool.

I think MLB is kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the scheduling. They do their best to not have the games overlap, so they start early in the day and end late. You want people on the West Coast to be able to actually ATTEND the games but you also don't want them to be so late that people on the East Coast can't watch them. I think this year, the West Coast games are starting a little later than they need to and later than they did last year but I wonder if part of that is because there is only one West Coast team to work around when last year, there were three. 

• Love 1

I wish there was a way to bring back day baseball during the playoffs.  Seriously, even a weekday game which I could not watch while at work but could probably listen to on the radio but hey, ratings would tank and it's all about that, right?

Jays and Rangers are playing at 12:45 on Friday. That not daytime enough?

Or did you want a daytime game in the Championship Series? Or were you just disappointed there was no daytime baseball today specifically?

Edited by Maximum Taco

I do feel for you, Mets fans, that the game will be on so late for you.  But my feelings end there.

I will have enough time to get some work done, grocery shop, fix dinner, and then sit on my butt and watch all of the game on Friday.

I hope the Cubbies do well, though I like McCutch - he seems like a class act.

My fantasy World Series pairings

Cubs vs Red Sox         For this, all of America would have to take a one week vacation at the same time. At least  the mid west and New England.

Pittsburgh vs Phillies   Could the great state of Pennsylvania survive?

Orioles vs Nationals    Yankee fans for Nats, Met fans for O's. I would root for O's because it's an AL thing.

Yankees vs Cubs        Yankee fans might even root for the lovable Cubbies!

No.

Well, of course they wouldn't but some might. mojoween, during the season there was  an Astros game on tv and I thought "oh, it's an inter league game."  Then I remembered they were an AL team now. Still  not used to it.

Edited by prican58

My fantasy World Series pairings

Cubs vs Red Sox         For this, all of America would have to take a one week vacation at the same time. At least  the mid west and New England.

I was really rooting for this to happen in 2003.  I figured they would get to game 7 and the world would blow up so neither team would ever win.  The Saux ruined that dream in 2004...

So, on another board I frequent, I actually picked the Astros to win it all.  And I hadn't even started drinking yet.  Now that I am drinking, I realize I'm nutzzzzz

Jessica is living my dream (well except I would be in the booth for the NFL, not MLB). She is doing the job better than Curt Schilling ever did or could.

In other news, I am not happy right now.

• Love 6

I was really rooting for this to happen in 2003.

Me too (Cubs vs. Sawks in the WS).

I'm old enough to be his mother but I have a wee bit of a crush on Chris Archer.  He's adorable, enjoyable to listen to, and that hair!

• Love 2

Me too (Cubs vs. Sawks in the WS).

I'm old enough to be his mother but I have a wee bit of a crush on Chris Archer.  He's adorable, enjoyable to listen to, and that hair!

I wasn't paying attention, then looked up and thought "who is that - he's kinda cute".  So glad he was also knowledgeable - hope he's back in a future game.  And yeah...that hair!!

Now I have to decide if I want to root for the Jays -- who have former Mariners Michael Saunders, oft-injured, and Justin Smoak -- or the new darling plucky Astros or last year's amazing kids the Royals.  Oh, wow, but I have to say an embarrassment of riches.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity

I'm afraid of saying anything negative because I don't want to jinx the Mets. I will say . . . the Yankees' loss will definitely overshadow Matt Harvey getting caught in traffic and being told to turn back.

• Love 1

Whatever. Bad time for the bats to go silent gentlemen!

See here's the thing. We have a flagpole attached to our mailbox post and I have three flags - Yanks, NY Giants and Duke Blue Devils. When the team plays their last game of the season, the next flag goes up. And I don't like changing the flags while the sport still has games to be played. Dammit.

I can't root for the Jays, sorry. Guess it will be the Royals and we'll see what happens tonight to see who I'll root for in the NL.

Don't think I will root for anyone. Passing interest right now although my AL loyalty may take over. If the Pirates or Cubs go to the Series I will probably root for either one. Even the Astros can get my root on if they become that early season juggernaut again. For sure there will be no Dodger, Texas, St Louis rooting. Never, ever, never!

The Mets get my attention, mostly because my aunt passed away this summer and she was a big time Mets fan. She even said to me that it was just her luck the Mets would win it all and she wouldn't be around to see it. Of course that was when they were winning at the start of the season. She never got to see Cespedes help them turn it around. So I'd like to think she will be enjoying the view up there when/if they do win it all. 

I am kind of relieved the Yanks are out of it. I just didn't see them going far in the playoffs. In fact I could see them getting a huge ass whupping along the way. Hell they couldn't get to 90 wins as I had hoped. 

Wait till next year. 

I've never been much of an AL fan. My dad is a Cardinals fan and my husband used to be a Mets fan, so I really don't have a problem with either team. However, I really want the Cubs to win it all just to see the Back to the Future people go nuts.

Well to be truly prophetic the Cubbies would need to sweep the series against a Miami team.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
Maybe Dallas was just better at pitching than the Yankees were at hitting?

Sometimes, yes. Last night, he was pitching well and the bats sucked. Nobody had any balance at the plate. That's a sight more than the pitcher making them look bad. 

Oh, well, kudos to that fuzzy faced pitcher. 

And please add my "Yay team" to Jessica and Chris in the booth. Well played, ESPN.

Back in '92, Aim was probably watching the games on kinescope....

I remember rushing home from school in 1978 to watch the Red Sox-Yankees playoff (the B.F. Dent game); I went out on the porch roof and was able to see the call of the game via semaphore flag from a hill a few miles away.

The first part of the above sentence is actually true.

I should point out, in context with the above, that last night's game pleased me immensely.

• Love 4

I actually enjoy watching both teams play, so tonight I really don't care who wins, I'll be happy with both.

On the fantasy World Series I would like to see....

St. Louis/Kansas City

Washington/Baltimore

Florida/Tampa Bay

Milwaukee/Minnesota

Chicago/Chicago

Dodgers/Angels(if it hasn't happened already)

On the fantasy World Series I would like to see....

St. Louis/Kansas City - this one happened already in 1985. Quite controversial.

Washington/Baltimore  - no thanks.

Florida/Tampa Bay - HA!  Well, of course you mean MIAMI vs Tampa Bay.  I think this match-up would kill baseball.

Milwaukee/Minnesota-  I wouldn't mind this one.

Chicago/Chicago - Well, we got NYM vs NYY, I suppose the world wouldn't end if the Southside met up against the Northside.

Dodgers/Angels (if it hasn't happened already) - Hasn't happened.  As an Angeleno, not sure I really want this, quite ambivalent about these teams and owners.

I just want whoever wins tonight's game, to kick the Cardinals ass.  That's it. Not much to ask for, is it?

• Love 1

King! The apocalypse MUST be nigh, because we agree on something.

Fiiiiiiigggggghhhhtttt! Arrieta's going to have a big bump on his fanny, as Ron so eloquently put it.

Edited by mojoween

Potential match-ups:

Cardinals/Astros: Hackers vs.hacked

Cardinals/Royals: Rematch of 1985

Mets/Astros: Rematch of the 1986 NLCS

Mets/Yankees: Well, that's off the board

Dodgers/Angels: First Freeway Series

Rangers/Mets: Two of the more star-crossed franchises

Rangers/Cubs: See above, to the tenth power