Type keyword(s) to search

Lifetime's VC Andrews Movies Topic (Flowers In The Attic, The Dollangangers, The Casteels, etc) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Also in the book, once teenage Christopher showed up, Malcolm was impressed with his intelligence and warmed up to him. I wonder if they will keep that in the movie or if Malcolm will treat Chris badly like all the others.

In the book, they became a happy family for a little while. Olivia and Malcolm even reached an understanding. Too bad Corrine and Christopher fell in love and of course the evil that is John Amos.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Also in the book, once teenage Christopher showed up, Malcolm was impressed with his intelligence and warmed up to him. I wonder if they will keep that in the movie or if Malcolm will treat Chris badly like all the others.

i hope so. twist that knife of betrayal deeper.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

In the book, they became a happy family for a little while. Olivia and Malcolm even reached an understanding. Too bad Corrine and Christopher fell in love and of course the evil that is John Amos.

They should keep it in the movie.  I mean, after all, Christopher is his half-brother and as horrible as Malcolm is (and he's horrible), he did lose his son.  Seems like Christopher should be a quasi-replacement for Mal, which, as @Daisy pointed out, makes Christopher and Corinne's "betrayal" even worse.  

I am thinking about this way too much but the only reason I can fathom for Corinne's pregnancy and abortion was to show this is the first (that we know of) time that Olivia covers up an action by Corinne.  That was followed by poisoning Malcolm, which although not mentioned in the books, is actually pretty brilliant.  One, it shows how really selfish and thoughtless Corinne was, even as a teenager.  Her father doesn't want her going to a party and her solution is to poison him?  Secondly, it's a fantastic forewarning of what's to come with her children and it makes perfect sense why she would think that poisoning them would make them just a little sick and she could carry them out and away from FH and report back they had died.  After all, that's basically what happened when she poisoned Malcolm -- he got sick but then he recovered.  Of course, she wasn't thinking that an adult man would react differently than children, and that she eventually uses arsenic with the children, not whatever plant she used with Malcolm.   

I've also thought on the debate a few of you have had on whether Corinne truly loved Christopher.  I'm on the fence here because I can see both sides.  I'm sure she desperately wanted to get away from FH, especially after Mal died and then what happened with Joel (at least in the books).  Christopher gave her that escape, plus he absolutely adored her.  He put her on a pedestal and took over where Malcolm left off as far as indulging her.  On the other hand, how she eventually treated her children and how she allowed them to be treated was incredibly disrespectful to Christopher's memory. 

I know I said this before but I really hope that Lifetime will continue this with FITA through Olivia's eyes.  There is still a lot to tell and since FITA was told from Cathy's perspective, there could be a lot going on downstairs we don't know.  Heck, we saw Olivia again in POTW, so it could even go that far.  

I have to say I really like what they've done with Olivia here and Jemima Rooper's portrayal.  I don't hate Olivia or dislike her; I feel a great deal of sympathy for her.  She really was a victim of circumstance (her father's death, leaving her nothing) and the times (wives were the property of their husbands and women generally just didn't leave their husbands.)  I think it would be fascinating to see her emotions and thoughts when Corinne returns with her children. 

Speaking of which, just a minor nitpick.  It's been many years since I've read FITA but as I recall, Corinne and the children had to walk from the train station because a car arriving would possibly alert the servants.  Once at FH, Olivia met them at a backdoor and ushered them in.  When Alicia left ("for Philadelphia"), she returned in a car to the front of the house and came in through the front door.  What??  As this was in the 1920s, that car should have been heard by everyone in the house.  Not only did the cars make more noise but they were fairly isolated.  You would think the butler would have heard and jumped up to see what was going on.  I would also think the front doors of a house like that wouldn't exactly be quiet or subtle.  Just a nitpick from me but it bugged me.  I felt like it would have been better to have Alicia wait at the train station and have Olivia meet her and walk her back through the woods to FH -- much as her daughter and grandchildren would be forced to do one day.  Oh well. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, psychoticstate said:

Speaking of which, just a minor nitpick.  It's been many years since I've read FITA but as I recall, Corinne and the children had to walk from the train station because a car arriving would possibly alert the servants.  Once at FH, Olivia met them at a backdoor and ushered them in.  When Alicia left ("for Philadelphia"), she returned in a car to the front of the house and came in through the front door.  What??  As this was in the 1920s, that car should have been heard by everyone in the house.  Not only did the cars make more noise but they were fairly isolated.  You would think the butler would have heard and jumped up to see what was going on.  I would also think the front doors of a house like that wouldn't exactly be quiet or subtle.  Just a nitpick from me but it bugged me.  I felt like it would have been better to have Alicia wait at the train station and have Olivia meet her and walk her back through the woods to FH -- much as her daughter and grandchildren would be forced to do one day.  Oh well. 

I love your entire post but I agreed with this as well. 

They should keep it in the movie.  I mean, after all, Christopher is his half-brother and as horrible as Malcolm is (and he's horrible), he did lose his son.  Seems like Christopher should be a quasi-replacement for Mal, which, as @Daisy pointed out, makes Christopher and Corinne's "betrayal" even worse.  

I also think losing Mal wouldve reminded Malcolm of his own mortality. Although he was a POS that treated his kids like crap, losing your child, suddenly would fuck with any parent. Mal was a young man with his entire life ahead of him. I could see Malcolm being shaken by the idea that he might die with everyone hating his guts, plus what might await him in the afterlife. You and @Daisy make a lot of sense. 

I am thinking about this way too much but the only reason I can fathom for Corinne's pregnancy and abortion was to show this is the first (that we know of) time that Olivia covers up an action by Corinne. 

I saw it that way too. I also thought it was to show as twisted and fucked up about sex and "devils spawn" Olivia grew to be in her later years, she was a loving supportive Mom to Corrine while she was growing up, she just wanted her to have a better life.

That was followed by poisoning Malcolm, which although not mentioned in the books, is actually pretty brilliant.  One, it shows how really selfish and thoughtless Corinne was, even as a teenager.  Her father doesn't want her going to a party and her solution is to poison him?  Secondly, it's a fantastic forewarning of what's to come with her children and it makes perfect sense why she would think that poisoning them would make them just a little sick and she could carry them out and away from FH and report back they had died.  After all, that's basically what happened when she poisoned Malcolm -- he got sick but then he recovered.  Of course, she wasn't thinking that an adult man would react differently than children, and that she eventually uses arsenic with the children, not whatever plant she used with Malcolm.   

Yup. I like the way you've put this together. I agree. I think the screenwriters here have done an excellent job putting this all together.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I know I said this before but I really hope that Lifetime will continue this with FITA through Olivia's eyes.  There is still a lot to tell and since FITA was told from Cathy's perspective, there could be a lot going on downstairs we don't know.  Heck, we saw Olivia again in POTW, so it could even go that far.  

I would love if they continue this with what's going on downstairs. Especially if Nella is still there. What would she know or suspect?

I remember in FITA that Chris overheard the maids gossiping about Olivia bringing food to the attic claiming it's "poison for the rats." So the staff notice things.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I would love if they continue this with what's going on downstairs. Especially if Nella is still there. What would she know or suspect?

Nella is older than Malcolm, so she may have retired by that time. I don't see the Nella we have shown being okay with keeping the children locked up there indefinitely. If Nella knows, I could see her meeting an unfortunate "accident" after x amount of time when she questioned Olivia about how long the kids would be there. 

• Love 3

The second episode was just as good as the first. The additions of Corinne’s pregnancy/abortion and Joel being gay added to the story, but it felt like it was added to make a movie set in the early 1900s relevant in the 2020s. 

With Alicia returning, I wonder if she will spill the beans about Corinne being her daughter or if it is just her bringing Chris Sr back because she is dying. Although at this point, I hope they don’t murder Alicia to keep her quiet. 

• Love 6

I think Christopher Sr just charmed Malcolm like he charmed everyone. In the book he and Malcolm would talk business and Christopher seem to have some smarts about it. He probably also didn't see Christopher as a danger when hanging out with Corrine. More of the like when Joel or Mal would hang out with her.

I'm not sure why Alicia sent her son to them in the book. As others pointed out Malcolm threatened to hurt Christopher if she fought back. There's no doubt he would have too. Seeing how things went in Part II I can't see why she would after what Malcolm and Olivia did to her and Malcolm did kill her husband, his own father. Did she think Olivia would protect Christopher? Olivia seemed really strong when Alicia left, so maybe? I don't know.

I have one nitpik with Nella. Everything she said to Olivia was correct. But Olivia had no idea what she was getting into when she arrived at Foxworth Hall Nella did. Nella did nothing to warn her. Whether Olivia would have listened I don't know but she didn't. Olivia at least tried to get Alicia to leave before she knew about the pregnancy. Locking Alicia up was horrible but how else was that going play out? Malcolm was never going to let that baby go. Olivia at least made sure she left with her inheritance.  Nella said nothing to warn Olivia when she arrived and then a vague one about Malcolm liking pretty things and Alicia. 

I do think Corrine loved Christopher Sr and their kids. She willing gave up everything for him. While their house was nice it was no Foxworth Hall and all that wealth. That's what made her betrayel so much worse. Olivia poisoning the kids wouldn't be shocking given how she treated them. Corrine loved them and had been a good mom. Jillian didn't care about Leigh from the beginning only what her daughter could do for Jillian. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I think Christopher Sr just charmed Malcolm like he charmed everyone. In the book he and Malcolm would talk business and Christopher seem to have some smarts about it. He probably also didn't see Christopher as a danger when hanging out with Corrine. More of the like when Joel or Mal would hang out with her.

I'm not sure why Alicia sent her son to them in the book. As others pointed out Malcolm threatened to hurt Christopher if she fought back. There's no doubt he would have too. Seeing how things went in Part II I can't see why she would after what Malcolm and Olivia did to her and Malcolm did kill her husband, his own father. Did she think Olivia would protect Christopher? Olivia seemed really strong when Alicia left, so maybe? I don't know.

I have one nitpik with Nella. Everything she said to Olivia was correct. But Olivia had no idea what she was getting into when she arrived at Foxworth Hall Nella did. Nella did nothing to warn her. Whether Olivia would have listened I don't know but she didn't. Olivia at least tried to get Alicia to leave before she knew about the pregnancy. Locking Alicia up was horrible but how else was that going play out? Malcolm was never going to let that baby go. Olivia at least made sure she left with her inheritance.  Nella said nothing to warn Olivia when she arrived and then a vague one about Malcolm liking pretty things and Alicia. 

I do think Corrine loved Christopher Sr and their kids. She willing gave up everything for him. While their house was nice it was no Foxworth Hall and all that wealth. That's what made her betrayel so much worse. Olivia poisoning the kids wouldn't be shocking given how she treated them. Corrine loved them and had been a good mom. Jillian didn't care about Leigh from the beginning only what her daughter could do for Jillian. 

In the book,, if I recall correctly, Alicia was poor -- I think she lost any money she inherited from Garland in the stock market crash -- and dying of breast cancer.  She had no family and I'm sure she remembered how much Olivia had loved Christopher.  She probably felt that Christopher would have far more opportunities (that were rightfully his) going back to FH.  

Nella did tell Olivia, somewhat, to be careful of Malcolm and told her very specifically to call her should anything happen.  She couldn't very well tell her the whole story.  Nella was a servant, Olivia was the new mistress of the house.  Plus, women were expected to stay with their husbands, even if they were abusive rapists.  Different times.  

Speaking of Nella, once it was revealed that Malcolm's office had a secret door that led to the attic and the bedroom, it became understandable why Nella would not go up in the attic with Olivia when Olivia first arrived.  As that wing was once servants' quarters, I imagine that Nella had stayed in that bedroom and Malcolm used that door to get to her and rape her.  Poor Nella.

If the story continued into FITA territory, it would be interesting to see if Nella was still at FH.  I definitely do not see her being okay with locking the kids away, unless there's some new twist to the story, like the children are being protected from Malcolm's knowledge of them, etc.  Although I thought it was revealed that Malcolm knew about them all along thanks to a PI?  

Anyhow, I look forward to part 3! 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I understand why Nella didn’t specifically warn Olivia, like @psychoticstate said, Nella was a servant and Olivia was the new mistress of the house. And by the looks of it the only black servant at that (which would’ve been super odd in VA but ok). She was the lowest person on the totem pole. AND she had no idea how Olivia would’ve responded to that type of information, would she have fired her for spreading such slander about her husband?(even if she knew it was true). Nella also had Celila to consider- Malcolm was paying for her education so she WOULDN'T have to work as a domestic servant the rest of her life, if Malcolm knew Nella was chatting with Olivia that might have ended.* Or he might have physically hurt Nella- this was a guy capable of attacking his own father. 

I think Nella did the best she could with the position she was in, and she did try to help Alicia. 

*From the script it seems that Mrs Steiner is the one that fired Nella after the vague warning to look out for Alicia, but I am sure it was at Malcolm's order, he gave Olivia lip after Olivia hired her back.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I agree it should be kept in.

I am thinking about this way too much but the only reason I can fathom for Corinne's pregnancy and abortion was to show this is the first (that we know of) time that Olivia covers up an action by Corinne.  That was followed by poisoning Malcolm, which although not mentioned in the books, is actually pretty brilliant.  One, it shows how really selfish and thoughtless Corinne was, even as a teenager.  Her father doesn't want her going to a party and her solution is to poison him?  Secondly, it's a fantastic forewarning of what's to come with her children and it makes perfect sense why she would think that poisoning them would make them just a little sick and she could carry them out and away from FH and report back they had died.  After all, that's basically what happened when she poisoned Malcolm -- he got sick but then he recovered.  Of course, she wasn't thinking that an adult man would react differently than children, and that she eventually uses arsenic with the children, not whatever plant she used with Malcolm.   

I still don't love the pregnancy inclusion because I think it takes away from Corinne finding first love with Christopher and all the emotions and angst that brings and also, how felt like a lifeline to her. Someone who has had first love and gone through getting pregnant and an abortion is very different from someone who has never experience even the first part of that equation and the need for her to cling to Chris and "escape" FX with him and none other. But I can't disagree Corinne poisoning her father is foreshadowing of how she turned from a seemingly loving mother to a murderess and all so she could get much more than a party.

I've also thought on the debate a few of you have had on whether Corinne truly loved Christopher.  I'm on the fence here because I can see both sides.  I'm sure she desperately wanted to get away from FH, especially after Mal died and then what happened with Joel (at least in the books).  Christopher gave her that escape, plus he absolutely adored her.  He put her on a pedestal and took over where Malcolm left off as far as indulging her.  On the other hand, how she eventually treated her children and how she allowed them to be treated was incredibly disrespectful to Christopher's memory. 

Agreed on all counts. I think Christopher idolized her in a way no one else ever had. I think the loss of his mother while still a teenager made him that much more vulnerable to Corinne's charms. 

I would absolutely love it if they did this. 

I have to say I really like what they've done with Olivia here and Jemima Rooper's portrayal.  I don't hate Olivia or dislike her; I feel a great deal of sympathy for her.  She really was a victim of circumstance (her father's death, leaving her nothing) and the times (wives were the property of their husbands and women generally just didn't leave their husbands.)  I think it would be fascinating to see her emotions and thoughts when Corinne returns with her children. 

I have a lot of sympathy for her as well, but I suspect it will evaporate in the mini-series as it did in the book when the children arrived. They were innocent victims in all of this. 

I said the same thing upthread as it bugged me, too. Alicia returning to FH had to be the worst-kept secret of all-time. 

• Love 1

@CountryGirl I slightly disagree with your analysis of Corinne and Christopher being her first love. Getting wrapped up in lust, and having sex doesn’t mean you went through all of the  emotional upheavals and psychological impact of a first love. 

I don’t think Corinne ever loved or had deep emotional attachments to the guy she conceived with- she certainly was attracted to him and got swept up in that, but I don’t think it went any deeper than that. While women have different responses to terminating a pregnancy, I’m of the mind that because Corinne didn’t want to be pregnant or have a child with that guy, other than the physical discomfort it was more akin to a teeth cleaning. A procedure to deal with a circumstance she didn’t want. 

Christopher she LOVED. She had just lost her beloved brother tragically- that’s an entirely different kettle of fish. 

But we will have to see what they come up with this week!!!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

@CountryGirl I slightly disagree with your analysis of Corinne and Christopher being her first love. Getting wrapped up in lust, and having sex doesn’t mean you went through all of the  emotional upheavals and psychological impact of a first love. 

I don’t think Corinne ever loved or had deep emotional attachments to the guy she conceived with- she certainly was attracted to him and got swept up in that, but I don’t think it went any deeper than that. While women have different responses to terminating a pregnancy, I’m of the mind that because Corinne didn’t want to be pregnant or have a child with that guy, other than the physical discomfort it was more akin to a teeth cleaning. A procedure to deal with a circumstance she didn’t want. 

Christopher she LOVED. She had just lost her beloved brother tragically- that’s an entirely different kettle of fish. 

But we will have to see what they come up with next week!!!

That's a fair assessment. I can agree that the guys she went out with before were more for fun, an escape, and yes, lust and all that entails, and she might have thought herself "in love" but it was never the real thing until Christopher came along.

I wonder how they will show Joel's "death." Will it be the skiing trip that monks rescued him from? Or something else. Christopher arrives after his "death," so the family is definitely at rock bottom at that point. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the Joel of GoS with the one from SoY and the 180 in his personality being that he found religion didn't really wash with me.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

I wonder how they will show Joel's "death." Will it be the skiing trip that monks rescued him from? Or something else. Christopher arrives after his "death," so the family is definitely at rock bottom at that point. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the Joel of GoS with the one from SoY and the he found religion didn't really wash with me.

I think he going to run away after conversion therapy. 

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

But we will have to see what they come up with this week!!!

1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

That's a fair assessment. I can agree that the guys she went out with before were more for fun, an escape, and yes, lust and all that entails, and she might have thought herself "in love" but it was never the real thing until Christopher came along.

I wonder how they will show Joel's "death." Will it be the skiing trip that monks rescued him from? Or something else. Christopher arrives after his "death," so the family is definitely at rock bottom at that point. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the Joel of GoS with the one from SoY and the he found religion didn't really wash with me.

If Corinne has more of Malcolm in her than Alicia (and it certainly appears so), she was probably more in love with how attracted the motorcycle guy was to her than anything else.   Do I think she loved Christopher?  Yes, probably so.  Did she love him as much as he loved her?  Questionable.   The money came before her children so . . . 

As I've said I think about this way too much but we could ask the same question about Bart Winslow.  Did she truly love him?  Or did she marry him because she had to have somebody take care of her and adore her?  And it appeared that Malcolm approved of Bart, although he did add that codicil in his will that Corinne could never have children and inherit and Bart said in POTW that he had desperately wanted children of his own (but was under the impression that Corinne couldn't have them).  

Funny how when I first read FITA many, many years ago, and even on subsequent rereads, I despised Olivia and thought she was the most vile person in the book.  Now it's a toss-up between Malcolm and Corinne.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

As I've said I think about this way too much but we could ask the same question about Bart Winslow.  Did she truly love him?  Or did she marry him because she had to have somebody take care of her and adore her?  And it appeared that Malcolm approved of Bart, although he did add that codicil in his will that Corinne could never have children and inherit and Bart said in POTW that he had desperately wanted children of his own (but was under the impression that Corinne couldn't have them).  

I think she liked/had affection for Bart, but I don’t think she loved him. She liked having a husband, he was pleasant enough, younger than her and attractive. 

I think knowing what she did to her kids probably caused so much guilt that she wasn’t capable of genuine emotional connections with anyone after that. 

• Love 3

Joel Joel Joel. Why in the world would you be kissing in the house with the door unlocked?? And now you’ve put Harry in danger. Don’t let them kill Harry! I like him. 

Nella isn’t playing any more. Malcolm raped her, and then had her step grandson falsely accused of thief and tortured. Watch out for Nella she is going to get you, Malcolm!!

Well I give Corinne this, girl isn’t stupid, and she knows her brother. He wouldn’t just disappear without saying goodbye to his sister, so she went to his room to snoop. 

Olivia has some nerve- Harry could’ve died. But I think Harry does love Joel and vice versa. But Joel could’ve stopped Harry’s arrest if he just said “I gave him the watch as payment for working on my car because I was out of cash.”(not blaming Joel- Malcolm is the POS here).

I am feeling this burn between Corinne and Christopher. They are selling with their eyes. I feel the heat between them. I even felt Christopher’s lame ass “You’re not the only one who’s sad about it.”, oh he wants her.

Joel, dude you need to get OUT of there NOW. Olivia never lied, you are the curse Malcolm! None of the things that happened where Olivia’s fault- Malcolm raped Alicia, Malcolm assaulted Joel’s fiancé, Corinne got pregnant because she had unprotected sex (it happens).

I am just now noticing how good the costume designers have been- I have noticed the progression in the fashions from movie 1 to movie 3 Olivia’s style has evolved but still looks like her.

Fuck you Mrs Steiner- fyi $3k in 1942 (Corinne was born in 1924 and is now 18), is about $54k today. $5000 is about $90k.

Max Irons is bringing the CREEPY as Malcolm “You belong to me.”, Even Corinne, his daughter is scared of him now.

I admit I am missing Nella this movie. Is she retired?

Mrs Steiner was wrong. I believe (this version of ) Olivia does love Corinne. I also think it’s true that she wishes she had been half as beautiful or charming, but she just wants Corinne to have a better life. Mrs Steiner was the bitter one at the end of the day. Good riddance. 

Well I guess if someone would help you bury a body they deserve a kiss. That’s probably only the second time Malcolm had ever kissed Olivia. (The first at the wedding alter)

I have to say the casting is quite good. Malcolm (Max Irons), Alicia (Alana Boden), Joel (Luke Fetherston), Corinne (Hannah Dodd) and Christopher (Callum Kerr) all look very much alike. Where as Mal (Buck Braithwaite) favored Olivia (Jemima Rooper). 

• Love 6

At least Joel and Harry got away—for now. Love that they’re the only non-incestous relationship in that whole family.

Still Christopher….damn. He’s stacked

Lovely debutante gown for Corrinne.

Never try to blackmail the Foxworths. That old housekeeper fucked around and found out the hard way.

• Love 7

So. Many. Thoughts. The first being, I need a cigarette after watching that episode. The second being 7 days is 7 days too many to wait for the conclusion  

I need to re-watch because my head is spinning right now. 

• Love 6

Daaaaaaamn. That was a tense two hours.

So happy Harry and Joel got away. I hope they stay away and live their lives in peace. Yeah, I read the books but they changed so much for the movies that I'm going to go with this as a separate story.

Malcolm gets creepier and creepier.

Does anyone else think Christopher look like the illustration in Garden of Shadows? Just looking a tad older than the book.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Snow Apple said:

Daaaaaaamn. That was a tense two hours.

So happy Harry and Joel got away. I hope they stay away and live their lives in peace. Yeah, I read the books but they changed so much for the movies that I'm going to go with this as a separate story.

Malcolm gets creepier and creepier.

Does anyone else think Christopher look like the illustration in Garden of Shadows? Just looking a tad older than the book.

This was my fav movie so far. 

Yes, I’m hoping Harry and Joel are living their best life as a mechanic and a musician in NYC. I’m fanwanking that it’s losing Harry tragically (maybe a hate crime) turns Joel into a religious zealot we meet in Seeds of Yesterday.

Yes, the actor is older, of course he’s still hot as hell, but you can tell he’s a man in his 30s and not 21/22 years old.

• Love 5
(edited)

Joel wasn't in the movie version of Seeds of Yesterday so let's just say it's because this version of Joel was still living happily with Harry in NY 😄

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Joel wasn't in the movie version of Seeds of Yesterday so let's just say it's because this version of Joel was still living happily with Harry in NY 😄

That has my vote. 

• Love 7

Once again, love the changes they made from the book.  Bonus that they were used to show how Chris Sr and Corinne actually fell in live.

Hey maybe these script writers should be hired by the VCAndrews estate to ghost-write her books from now on!

• Love 11
(edited)
On 7/20/2022 at 2:30 PM, psychoticstate said:

Secondly, it's a fantastic forewarning of what's to come with her children and it makes perfect sense why she would think that poisoning them would make them just a little sick and she could carry them out and away from FH and report back they had died.  A

This has never made one bit of sense to me though! Why would she need to even slightly poison them in order to leave with them? And why would she have to pretend and report that they died? And to whom? If she wanted to take them out of there, she could have at any time without poison or fake deaths.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

This has never made one bit of sense to me though! Why would she need to even slightly poison them in order to leave with them? And why would she have to pretend and report that they died? And to whom? If she wanted to take them out of there, she could have at any time without poison or fake deaths.

Corrine could not inherit if it were proven she had children by Christopher -- or anyone, apparently.  So her "plan" was to poison them enough to make them sick, sneak them out and report back they died while having them elsewhere.  Thereby (at least in her mind), keeping her children and keeping her inheritance. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Good Lord, I was on pins and needles during that episode.  I was terrified that the title indicated that Harry would be killed.  Thank goodness it was that old hag Mrs. Steiner instead (who should have known better, as I'd be willing to be she knew a lot of the Foxworth secrets.)  

Joel and Harry sitting at the piano together and then kissing was stupid but I think a part of Joel wanted Malcolm to know.  He knew he was a disappointment to his father (Mal was the businessman) and had probably been hearing for years about how he was a "sissy," etc. with his piano playing and his gentle nature.  His subconscious may have been thinking well, just show him.  

I was infuriated that Olivia would stand by and do nothing while Harry was taken into custody and beaten.  Especially once Nella was pleading with her -- after everything Nella had done for Olivia, that was really inexcusable.  

The scenes of Joel being subjected to shock therapy were devastating, as well as him suffering with seizures afterwards.  Thank goodness Christopher knew the dirt on that horrible "hospital" and finally got Olivia into action. 

I wonder if Malcolm is going to realize that Olivia's engagement ring is gone?  You know he'll be pissed that she gave it to Joel to run off with.

Why on earth did Christopher and Corrine go into the swan bedroom??  At least if they had gone into her bedroom or his, should someone knock at the door, one of them could have hidden.  Incredibly stupid.  But the actors absolutely sold how infatuated they were with each other and how badly they were lusting for each other.  

So Malcolm and Olivia actually have a moment of tenderness while burying Mrs. Steiner -- which surely will be forgotten once the romance of Christopher and Corrine is exposed.  

I really look forward to next week, to see what the writers chose to do with wrapping this up.  They have done an excellent job on transferring Garden of Shadows to the screen.  

3 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Hey maybe these script writers should be hired by the VCAndrews estate to ghost-write her books from now on!

From your keyboard to the VC Andrews estate! 

• Love 9
(edited)
25 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

Corrine could not inherit if it were proven she had children by Christopher -- or anyone, apparently.  So her "plan" was to poison them enough to make them sick, sneak them out and report back they died while having them elsewhere.  Thereby (at least in her mind), keeping her children and keeping her inheritance. 

Oh, I know about the will and all that. But report to whom? Reporting a dead (or "dead") kid doesn't negate that she had a kid; it does the exact opposite and confirms it. All that aside, you still wouldn't need to actually poison anyone to do this plan; you could just do the "leave house with kid" part. It's making me so mad all over again.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, I know about the will and all that. But report to whom? Reporting a dead (or "dead") kid doesn't negate that she had a kid; it does the exact opposite and confirms it. All that aside, you still wouldn't need to actually poison anyone to do this plan; you could just do the "leave house with kid" part. It's making me so mad all over again.

Yes. Corinne could’ve gotten to Foxworth Hall and schemed for a little while to come up with a plan for her children. And then just taken them out when Olivia was gone. But she just left them in there. Knowing that Olivia did things like starve them for TWO WEEKS.

Corinne was a POS who was doing a bunch of mental gymnastics. Especially since after Cory died she didn’t do anything to save the other three. 

31 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

I was infuriated that Olivia would stand by and do nothing while Harry was taken into custody and beaten.  Especially once Nella was pleading with her -- after everything Nella had done for Olivia, that was really inexcusable.  

It really was. A simple “I gave him the watch for fixing my car, I didn’t want my husband to know I was trying to drive.” Would’ve saved Harry, and wouldn’t have embarrassed Malcolm or Joel. Harry could’ve died, easily. Or they could’ve broken his hands and he never could’ve been able to work again. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

Why on earth did Christopher and Corrine go into the swan bedroom??  At least if they had gone into her bedroom or his, should someone knock at the door, one of them could have hidden.  Incredibly stupid.  But the actors absolutely sold how infatuated they were with each other and how badly they were lusting for each other. 

My only rationale is there were no locks in the other doors, and that servants often just came through Corinne’s room without knocking? But the swan room did have a lock and Malcolm was the only one with the key? But how did they get in. I don’t know? Probably it was just the closest room!

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

As I recall from the books, Malcolm knew all about the four children and it was his desire that the children remain locked up for the rest of their lives.  So it's possible that Corrine knew that Malcolm knew and she figured if she said they had died, that would be the end of it.  

Regardless, Corrine put her inheritance ahead of everything else.  I get that it was the 1950s and she had not been trained to do anything but she had the ability to get a job as a receptionist if nothing else.  She was allegedly going to secretarial school when the kids were first locked up, if she was being truthful.  Fact is, once she got back into FH and started living the life again, she had no desire to leave it.  She was awful.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

I just feel like it would have made no difference to the story to just leave it at “poisoned donuts and lies about hospitals.” Had I been the editor, I would have deleted the exposition of Corinne’s dumb plan and just let the reader logically assume she wanted to straight-up murder them (though how would she have gotten Chris or Cathy out? They were too big, haha!). I mean, had she wanted to keep her kids, she was married to a lawyer who adored her and did not adore her parents; surely he’d have tried to come up with a solution? 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
(edited)

As I recall from the books, Malcolm knew all about the four children and it was his desire that the children remain locked up for the rest of their lives.  So it's possible that Corrine knew that Malcolm knew and she figured if she said they had died, that would be the end of it.  

In Garden of Shadows, Malcolm didn't know about the children because Olivia said he would adore them if he knew, especially the girls. 

That prequel book messed up a lot of details from the previous books. But with different points of views for different books, who are we to believe? Corrine told her children that Malcolm knew about them, but she's been known to throw others under the bus to get herself out of taking responsibility for her actions. Even Cathy noticed that Olivia glared at Corrine a few times that can be interpreted as "I know you're lying to them."

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Thank goodness it was that old hag Mrs. Steiner instead (who should have known better, as I'd be willing to be she knew a lot of the Foxworth secrets.)  

I thought, yup, she's dead as soon as she tried the blackmail. Olivia would have paid, but not Malcolm.

• Love 4

I rewatched this morning as it was just that good - the strongest episode thus far of an already fantastic series (I wish now they could go through and re-do all of the previous ones and make them longer mini-series vs two-hour movies).

You sense the pain and devastation over Mal's death and I have to wonder now if Corinne's hand in that, no matter how inadvertently, didn't start to make her a little bit unhinged.

Olivia has basically given up and given over to Malcolm, so deep is her grief. This Malcolm doesn't seem to be all that broken up by it.

Except perhaps, his softening when a dying, near-penniless Alicia arrives, so much more powerful than a letter, and asks them to take in her son. After all, she did willingly give up her daughter to them. 

Corrine still able to manipulate Malcolm into getting what she wants by playing him about going into the closet of the Swan Room to find her coming out gown and he gives her money and permission to go into town with Joel. I love the scenes of the siblings, even as I'm saddened that there are only two now.

I continue to love so many of the changes, Christopher and Cathy meeting at the store in town before they realize who they are to each other was one of them. Christopher is perfectly cast, handsome and sweet, and wow, if he doesn't look like he could be the father of the 2014 FITA kids, Kiernan especially.

Joel, you foolish young man, although love makes you do reckless things at time. I have to wonder, too, if Joel didn't want to get caught on some level, even subconsciously.

But poor Harry. Olivia could have come up with any number of plausible reasons for why Harry had the watch that wouldn't have outed her son and the man he loves. Grief over Mal and fear for her own son, Joel, or not, she failed both men terribly.

Christopher arrives and he and Corinne learn their true relationship (well, not exactly), but the sparks that flew when they first met are still kindling. 

I liked that they show Malcolm being Malcolm, assigning Christopher to manual labor to earn his keep vs Christopher instantly earning his respect. I mean, Malcolm is a dick of the highest order, but it's much more in keeping with his character to not welcome his half-brother with open arms. As an aside, no one has looked hotter all dirty and sweaty and working with landscaping tools. 

I liked the moment of bonding between Olivia and Christopher when she showed him to her room, reminding us of their earlier closeness.

Poor Joel, pleading for his mother to help Harry and her refusal, seeing more shades of the hardened Grandmother she will become. In the end, it will be Joel who makes the sacrifice of agreeing to get treatment in exchange for Harry's freedom.

Of course, conveniently, Mrs. Steiner is working for the family doctor now, a fact a laser-focused Malcom fails to notice as he leaves the doctor's office. 

I love that Corinne doesn't buy the story of Joel leaving for a conservatory and searches his room for a clue and later seeks out Harry, given him what appear to be love letters. Thanks to her sleuthing and seeking out Harry, she learns where he has been taken, and it was heartbreaking and disgusted to see him being tortured because of who he is.

Corinne and Christopher meeting in the hall on a hot summer night (is there any other kind in Virginia?) and realizing their rooms are right next to each other.

Olivia at least gives Harry the letter, but the scenes of her peacefully getting ready for bed as he is tortured and the dark music playing...masterfully, tragically done.

Those behind the show really have an amazing sense of the Gothic drama of it all.

I loved Corinne seeking out Christopher to find out more about where Joel has been taken and his medical student background having given him the truth about the facility. The two of them team up to tell Olivia the truth and finally, she relents to rescue her son. About damn time she snaps out of her grief and realizes she's a mother and not just Malcolm's wife/minion.

She takes him to the only place she can - Nella's home with her family and begs for their help, admitting that it was Joel who got Harry out of jail, not her, but asking for Joel's sake for their help and Nella relents. I liked that moment of Christopher and Harry helping get Joel into the house. 

We see Harry caring for Joel, who is is wracked with convulsions thanks to his "treatment."

Corinne confronting Olivia the next day and then riding off on her horse in fury. A search party is gathered but it is Christopher who, of course, finds her, at an abandoned chapel. And the circumstances are as hot and steamy as the weather as he rips his shirt to make a bandage for her injured leg and we literally watch them fight their feelings for each other, the slow burn igniting for just a flicker of a moment as they share a kiss. 

A kiss that is interrupted by Malcolm and the others but before anyone sees them embrace. It is Christopher's rescue of Corinne that makes Malcolm relent in his treatment of Christopher and he agrees to pay for his education sans landscaping responsibilities.

I liked that Christopher tells Corinne that this can never happen again. He is her uncle after all (and far more than that, though neither of them will ever know and I am all la-la-la plugging my ears about the more recent Chris Sr writings just as I am about Cory being alive after all - just no). Corinne being Corinne reminds him: "Half-uncle" but Chris isn't budging on this point and she agrees nothing more can come of this.

It's awkward the next day at breakfast when Corinne is wondering whom she will have her first dance with and Olivia suggests Christopher. Corinne counters with Rockford and I said, out loud, "the one who got you pregnant?" and I know Olivia was thinking it. 

Corinne spies on Chris taking a swim at the lake and I know he is fine as hell, but stop staring, he's your uncle.

Mrs. Steiner shows up, drunk with power via the knowledge that Joel is gay, looking to blackmail the family. 

We see that Joel has recovered, thankfully, and is looking to leave town. I'm not sure I understood why he went back to the mansion, considering, but then again, he had nothing but the clothes on his back. Malcolm, of course, catches him and snaps before our eyes when even the threat of being disinherited fails to move Joel. But Olivia, having found her spine, intervenes and reveals she was the one to get Joel out of the facility. Malcolm is furious and tells her everything she touches turns to ash. She coolly counters it's him that is the root of all of their problems, listing off his coming onto Mal's bride, not accepting Joel, and his obsession with Corinne. He won't stand for being told the truth about himself and, like the bastard he is, he slaps her and she falls to the ground, pulling Corrine's gown and tearing it in the process.

But Joel and Harry escape anyway so fuck you, Malcolm. I truly hope they get their happy ending and couldn't care less that this undos Joel coming back in SoY as his dramatic character change where he turned into part-Malcolm, part-John Amos, when he had detested his father and never knew John Amos, never made a lick of sense to me and an adult Bart was plenty of antagonist for that storyline. I love that Olivia gives Joel her engagement ring to help him make a fresh start.

Mrs. Steiner shows up again to collect her blackmail money and Malcolm is all too happy to tell her he no longer has a son and to piss off, basically. 

Malcolm lies to Corinne that Olivia ruined her dress so he has one of Corinne I's gowns made ready for her, which quite honestly was probably his creepy plan all along. And in an extra this-is-all-kinds-of-wrong twist, it's the very same dress Corinne I wore in the portrait from the attic. To up the ick factor, this revelation takes place in the Swan Room and we see Olivia's eyes flick to the swan, it's sleepy, watchful ruby eye, undoubtedly reliving the horrors she experienced in that room. 

Later, Corinne is dressed for the party with the portrait perched on the landing at the last turn of the stairs. The gown is beautiful though as is Corinne even as it's one million times of gross that you can watch Malcolm's eyes dart from daughter to his mother and who knows besides Satan what his thoughts are in this moment. 

Olivia protests, not wanting the memory of Malcolm's mother and all that is has done to this family, her multiple rapes included, and Malcolm relents and agrees to remove the portrait.

Max really plays up the disgusting factor by putting his hand under Corinne's chin and whispering "Nothing must distract from my Corinne. Not tonight." Dude, get some help.

But Malcolm isn't done being creepy as he takes the time to go up to the attic where, candle in one hand, he caresses his mother's portrait with the other. That is some fucked-up shit but if you had to explain VC Andrews to the unaware, that scene, right there, is it in a nutshell.

The guests arrive and among this is Mrs. Steiner, back to collect, and no, not for Joel. She has put two and two together and knows that Corinne is actually Alicia's daughter. She ups the ante to $5k. Olivia takes her to her office that's part of Malcolm's library and lies that she's going to get the money, but locks the old bat inside instead.

The subplot with Rockford asking to marry Corinne was one I didn't quite understand, even the second time through, was it so she escape FH, Malcolm, and, perhaps, her feelings for Christopher? Distract him so she could dance with Christopher after all? I'm still not sure what the point was.

It's first dance time and whatever the subplot intentions, Rockford isn't there but Christopher is and they share a dance filled with all kinds of sexual tension and Christopher revealing he's jealous of her (presumed) engagement and oh, maybe's that's the reason. She wanted to make him jealous. Very Corinne. The tension threatens to catch the notice of others at the party, her parents included, and Christopher adeptly spins her into Malcolm's arms, diverting suspicion. Malcolm reveals he sent Rockford packing and it's clear no one is good enough for his daughter. Except himself, of course, which he doesn't say but I know they both knew he was thinking it. Which, eww...

Olivia warns Malcolm that Mrs. Steiner is back with bigger fish to fry than Joel's sexual orientation and it's probably the only moment in the series, other than Corinne riding off in a storm on her horse, that Malcolm looks unnerved. He tells her he'll bring the money along and she goes back to the office and Mrs. Steiner, reveling in her newfound power, wastes no time in dressing down Olivia, but Olivia gives as good as she gets, even nailing her on her unrequited love for Garland. Mrs. Steiner, sensing she's bitten off more than she can chew this time, tries to leave and gets as far as the library, but Olivia, fearing she will spill their greatest secret, grabs her and they struggle, with Mrs. Steiner bangs her head on the desk and the ground, knocking her unconscious.

Malcolm comes in and he immediately takes in what's happened with a look of what can only be described as amazement and pride at Olivia. She moves to the telephone to call a doctor, but he stops her, moving behind her to wrap her arms around her.

I swear he was thisclose to kissing her, apparently, homicide turns him on or the lengths Olivia is willing to go to for their family, He then finishes the old lady with a telephone of all things, given our episode its title. And they roll her up in a rug (and I'm reminded of that scene in Reign where Catherine Medici and Henry roll up his old lover in her favorite rug to smuggle her out of the castle). but they leave the body, for now, to go back to the party. 

They share a dance and again, it's filled with sexual tension as they seem to come to a new understanding.

Corinne confesses her love to Christopher, who tries one last time to fight it, but then confesses the same. When she asks what they should do now, I’m saying “Don’t bone in the Swan Room. Don’t bone at all because hello, Shared DNA!”

Later, we see them going to retrieve the body after all the guests are gone and the house is quiet. We hear Olivia’s voiceover “Keeping up an illusion is hard work.  Back-breaking work. Heartbreaking work. Teamwork. At breakfast, you want to kill your husband. By bedtime, you’re helping him bury someone else’s body.” 🤣 THIS is the kind of camp I live for, watching them struggle to carry Mrs. Steiner, still wrapped like a hot dog in a bun, via their undoubtedly expensive rug out of the house. They take turns beginning to dig their gave and then Malcolm, in perhaps his only moment of tenderness, stops her from digging to take the shovel from her, take her hands in his, and honest-to-goodness KISS her, which I sensed was coming since that moment between them in the office. Nothing like murder and burying a body to bring a couple closer together. He actually tells her to get some rest and continues digging.

There are no words to describe watching these moments except, "Well done."

About that quiet house. 

Olivia walks in, heading for bed as it's been the longest of nights, but it's about to get even longer as she hears noises coming from the Swan Room, and peers through the keyhole to hear Christopher and Corinne declaring their love with a lot more than words. 

How is there only one episode left? I would watch this as a weekly series. 

Also, I wanted to do a comparison of Malcolm and Olivia from the series with the stepback cover of GoS. Pretty darn close, Olivia's hairstyle and expression especially.

Flowers_Comp.jpg

76f47eb141d963fcaab2e8272f2b87e5.jpg

Christopher is very spot-on, too, and he wears a very similar-looking shirt in the series. Corinne is the only one off, but, as others have noted, younger Corinne looks so much like Heather Graham, it's uncanny.

Next week is going to be amazing as John Amos is ba-ack (so happy the IMBD was wrong about only one episode for him) and we get to see Christopher and Corinne away from FH as well as the moments that tie GoS and FITA together in the timeline. 

I cannot wait!

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

As an aside, no one has looked hotter all dirty and sweaty and working with landscaping tools. 

You wanton slut. No thought like that ever crossed my mind. Many times, and  I did not go back thirty seconds over and over. How dare you! :P

• Wink 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
37 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

I rewatched this morning as it was just that good - the strongest episode thus far of an already fantastic series (I wish now they could go through and re-do all of the previous ones and make them longer mini-series vs two-hour movies).

You sense the pain and devastation over Mal's death and I have to wonder now if Corinne's hand in that, no matter how inadvertently, didn't start to make her a little bit unhinged.

Olivia has basically given up and given over to Malcolm, so deep is her grief. This Malcolm doesn't seem to be all that broken up by it.

Except perhaps, his softening when a dying, near-penniless Alicia arrives, so much more powerful than a letter, and asks them to take in her son. After all, she did willingly give up her daughter to them. 

Corrine still able to manipulate Malcolm into getting what she wants by playing him about going into the closet of the Swan Room to find her coming out gown and he gives her money and permission to go into town with Joel. I love the scenes of the siblings, even as I'm saddened that there are only two now.

I continue to love so many of the changes, Christopher and Cathy meeting at the store in town before they realize who they are to each other was one of them. Christopher is perfectly cast, handsome and sweet, and wow, if he doesn't look like he could be the father of the 2014 FITA kids, Kiernan especially.

Joel, you foolish young man, although love makes you do reckless things at time. I have to wonder, too, if Joel didn't want to get caught on some level, even subconsciously.

But poor Harry. Olivia could have come up with any number of plausible reasons for why Harry had the watch that wouldn't have outed her son and the man he loves. Grief over Mal and fear for her own son, Joel, or not, she failed both men terribly.

Christopher arrives and he and Corinne learn their true relationship (well, not exactly), but the sparks that flew when they first met are still kindling. 

I liked that they show Malcolm being Malcolm, assigning Christopher to manual labor to earn his keep vs Christopher instantly earning his respect. I mean, Malcolm is a dick of the highest order, but it's much more in keeping with his character to not welcome his half-brother with open arms. As an aside, no one has looked hotter all dirty and sweaty and working with landscaping tools. 

I liked the moment of bonding between Olivia and Christopher when she showed him to her room, reminding us of their earlier closeness.

Poor Joel, pleading for his mother to help Harry and her refusal, seeing more shades of the hardened Grandmother she will become. In the end, it will be Joel who makes the sacrifice of agreeing to get treatment in exchange for Harry's freedom.

Of course, conveniently, Mrs. Steiner is working for the family doctor now, a fact a laser-focused Malcom fails to notice as he leaves the doctor's office. 

I love that Corinne doesn't buy the story of Joel leaving for a conservatory and searches his room for a clue and later seeks out Harry, given him what appear to be love letters. Thanks to her sleuthing and seeking out Harry, she learns where he has been taken, and it was heartbreaking and disgusted to see him being tortured because of who he is.

Corinne and Christopher meeting in the hall on a hot summer night (is there any other kind in Virginia?) and realizing their rooms are right next to each other.

Olivia at least gives Harry the letter, but the scenes of her peacefully getting ready for bed as he is tortured and the dark music playing...masterfully, tragically done.

Those behind the show really have an amazing sense of the Gothic drama of it all.

I loved Corinne seeking out Christopher to find out more about where Joel has been taken and his medical student background having given him the truth about the facility. The two of them team up to tell Olivia the truth and finally, she relents to rescue her son. About damn time she snaps out of her grief and realizes she's a mother and not just Malcolm's wife/minion.

She takes him to the only place she can - Nella's home with her family and begs for their help, admitting that it was Joel who got Harry out of jail, not her, but asking for Joel's sake for their help and Nella relents. I liked that moment of Christopher and Harry helping get Joel into the house. 

We see Harry caring for Joel, who is is wracked with convulsions thanks to his "treatment."

Corinne confronting Olivia the next day and then riding off on her horse in fury. A search party is gathered but it is Christopher who, of course, finds her, at an abandoned chapel. And the circumstances are as hot and steamy as the weather as he rips his shirt to make a bandage for her injured leg and we literally watch them fight their feelings for each other, the slow burn igniting for just a flicker of a moment as they share a kiss. 

A kiss that is interrupted by Malcolm and the others but before anyone sees them embrace. It is Christopher's rescue of Corinne that makes Malcolm relent in his treatment of Christopher and he agrees to pay for his education sans landscaping responsibilities.

I liked that Christopher tells Corinne that this can never happen again. He is her uncle after all (and far more than that, though neither of them will ever know and I am all la-la-la plugging my ears about the more recent Chris Sr writings just as I am about Cory being alive after all - just no). Corinne being Corinne reminds him: "Half-uncle" but Chris isn't budging on this point and she agrees nothing more can come of this.

It's awkward the next day at breakfast when Corinne is wondering whom she will have her first dance with and Olivia suggests Christopher. Corinne counters with Rockford and I said, out loud, "the one who got you pregnant?" and I know Olivia was thinking it. 

Corinne spies on Chris taking a swim at the lake and I know he is fine as hell, but stop staring, he's your uncle.

Mrs. Steiner shows up, drunk with power via the knowledge that Joel is gay, looking to blackmail the family. 

We see that Joel has recovered, thankfully, and is looking to leave town. I'm not sure I understood why he went back to the mansion, considering, but then again, he had nothing but the clothes on his back. Malcolm, of course, catches him and snaps before our eyes when even the threat of being disinherited fails to move Joel. But Olivia, having found her spine, intervenes and reveals she was the one to get Joel out of the facility. Malcolm is furious and tells her everything she touches turns to ash. She coolly counters it's him that is the root of all of their problems, listing off his coming onto Mal's bride, not accepting Joel, and his obsession with Corinne. He won't stand for being told the truth about himself and, like the bastard he is, he slaps her and she falls to the ground, pulling Corrine's gown and tearing it in the process.

But Joel and Harry escape anyway so fuck you, Malcolm. I truly hope they get their happy ending and couldn't care less that this undos Joel coming back in SoY as his dramatic character change where he turned into part-Malcolm, part-John Amos, when he had detested his father and never knew John Amos, never made a lick of sense to me and an adult Bart was plenty of antagonist for that storyline. I love that Olivia gives Joel her engagement ring to help him make a fresh start.

Mrs. Steiner shows up again to collect her blackmail money and Malcolm is all too happy to tell her he no longer has a son and to piss off, basically. 

Malcolm lies to Corinne that Olivia ruined her dress so he has one of Corinne I's gowns made ready for her, which quite honestly was probably his creepy plan all along. And in an extra this-is-all-kinds-of-wrong twist, it's the very same dress Corinne I wore in the portrait from the attic. To up the ick factor, this revelation takes place in the Swan Room and we see Olivia's eyes flick to the swan, it's sleepy, watchful ruby eye, undoubtedly reliving the horrors she experienced in that room. 

Later, Corinne is dressed for the party with the portrait perched on the landing at the last turn of the stairs. The gown is beautiful though as is Corinne even as it's one million times of gross that you can watch Malcolm's eyes dart from daughter to his mother and who knows besides Satan what his thoughts are in this moment. 

Olivia protests, not wanting the memory of Malcolm's mother and all that is has done to this family, her multiple rapes included, and Malcolm relents and agrees to remove the portrait.

Max really plays up the disgusting factor by putting his hand under Corinne's chin and whispering "Nothing must distract from my Corinne. Not tonight." Dude, get some help.

But Malcolm isn't done being creepy as he takes the time to go up to the attic where, candle in one hand, he caresses his mother's portrait with the other. That is some fucked-up shit but if you had to explain VC Andrews to the unaware, that scene, right there, is it in a nutshell.

The guests arrive and among this is Mrs. Steiner, back to collect, and no, not for Joel. She has put two and two together and knows that Corinne is actually Alicia's daughter. She ups the ante to $5k. Olivia takes her to her office that's part of Malcolm's library and lies that she's going to get the money, but locks the old bat inside instead.

The subplot with Rockford asking to marry Corinne was one I didn't quite understand, even the second time through, was it so she escape FH, Malcolm, and, perhaps, her feelings for Christopher? Distract him so she could dance with Christopher after all? I'm still not sure what the point was.

It's first dance time and whatever the subplot intentions, Rockford isn't there but Christopher is and they share a dance filled with all kinds of sexual tension and Christopher revealing he's jealous of her (presumed) engagement and oh, maybe's that's the reason. She wanted to make him jealous. Very Corinne. The tension threatens to catch the notice of others at the party, her parents included, and Christopher adeptly spins her into Malcolm's arms, diverting suspicion. Malcolm reveals he sent Rockford packing and it's clear no one is good enough for his daughter. Except himself, of course, which he doesn't say but I know they both knew he was thinking it. Which, eww...

Olivia warns Malcolm that Mrs. Steiner is back with bigger fish to fry than Joel's sexual orientation and it's probably the only moment in the series, other than Corinne riding off in a storm on her horse, that Malcolm looks unnerved. He tells her he'll bring the money along and she goes back to the office and Mrs. Steiner, reveling in her newfound power, wastes no time in dressing down Olivia, but Olivia gives as good as she gets, even nailing her on her unrequited love for Garland. Mrs. Steiner, sensing she's bitten off more than she can chew this time, tries to leave and gets as far as the library, but Olivia, fearing she will spill their greatest secret, grabs her and they struggle, with Mrs. Steiner bangs her head on the desk and the ground, knocking her unconscious.

Malcolm comes in and he immediately takes in what's happened with a look of what can only be described as amazement and pride at Olivia. She moves to the telephone to call a doctor, but he stops her, moving behind her to wrap her arms around her.

I swear he was thisclose to kissing her, apparently, homicide turns him on or the lengths Olivia is willing to go to for their family, He then finishes the old lady with a telephone of all things, given our episode its title. And they roll her up in a rug (and I'm reminded of that scene in Reign where Catherine Medici and Henry roll up his old lover in her favorite rug to smuggle her out of the castle). but they leave the body, for now, to go back to the party. 

They share a dance and again, it's filled with sexual tension as they seem to come to a new understanding.

Corinne confesses her love to Christopher, who tries one last time to fight it, but then confesses the same. When she asks what they should do now, I’m saying “Don’t bone in the Swan Room. Don’t bone at all because hello, Shared DNA!”

Later, we see them going to retrieve the body after all the guests are gone and the house is quiet. We hear Olivia’s voiceover “Keeping up an illusion is hard work.  Back-breaking work. Heartbreaking work. Teamwork. At breakfast, you want to kill your husband. By bedtime, you’re helping him bury someone else’s body.” 🤣 THIS is the kind of camp I live for, watching them struggle to carry Mrs. Steiner, still wrapped like a hot dog in a bun, via their undoubtedly expensive rug out of the house. They take turns beginning to dig their gave and then Malcolm, in perhaps his only moment of tenderness, stops her from digging to take the shovel from her, take her hands in his, and honest-to-goodness KISS her, which I sensed was coming since that moment between them in the office. Nothing like murder and burying a body to bring a couple closer together. He actually tells her to get some rest and continues digging.

There are no words to describe watching these moments except, "Well done."

About that quiet house. 

Olivia walks in, heading for bed as it's been the longest of nights, but it's about to get even longer as she hears noises coming from the Swan Room, and peers through the keyhole to hear Christopher and Corinne declaring their love with a lot more than words. 

How is there only one episode left? I would watch this as a weekly series. 

Also, I wanted to do a comparison of Malcolm and Olivia from the series with the stepback cover of GoS. Pretty darn close, Olivia's hairstyle and expression especially.

Flowers_Comp.jpg

76f47eb141d963fcaab2e8272f2b87e5.jpg

Christopher is very spot-on, too, and he wears a very similar-looking shirt in the series. Corinne is the only one off, but, as others have noted, younger Corinne looks so much like Heather Graham, it's uncanny.

Next week is going to be amazing as John Amos is ba-ack (so happy the IMBD was wrong about only one episode for him) and we get to see Christopher and Corinne away from FH as well as the moments that tie GoS and FITA together in the timeline. 

I cannot wait!

She has the scowl and pose of book cover Olivia down pat.

I hope future V.C adaptations use these screen writers.  Imagine had they adapted POTW (which should have been a 2 parter at least, though that movie perfectly captured Carrie's tragic tale effectively in the few scenes it was focused on).

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

She has the scowl and pose of book cover Olivia down pat.

I hope future V.C adaptations use these screen writers.  Imagine had they adapted POTW (which should have been a 2 parter at least, though that movie perfectly captured Carrie's tragic tale effectively in the few scenes it was focused on).

I think the screen writers have done amazing work here. The actors are great, and even while I'm cringing I'm into the story.

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Yes. Corinne is now 18. Mal is dead, Joel is gone, Christopher is forbidden to her. Marriage is a socially acceptable “out”- and she likes/is attracted to Rockford, and he has money. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

When Olivia moved Malcolm's bowtie to cover the spot of blood. Woah! 

Also Corrine coming down the stairs in the first Corrine's gown is reminiscent of Cathy in Corrine's gown during the showdown in Petals on the Wind. I love when writers are fans of the source material, or at least did their research.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

When Olivia moved Malcolm's bowtie to cover the spot of blood. Woah! 

Also Corrine coming down the stairs in the first Corrine's gown is reminiscent of Cathy in Corrine's gown during the showdown in Petals on the Wind. I love when writers are fans of the source material, or at least did their research.

YESSS to her adjusting the tie!

ITA that the show runners did their homework. All those nods to the books that eagle-eyed fans like us would notice.  

That showdown in POTW deserved a stand-alone episode. One of the greatest storylines in fiction. 

• Love 6

Okay- I want to know how this Corinne, who’s flawed and selfish and self indulged (she is just turned 18); but has genuine love and concern for others (she legitimately mourned Mal’s death, she showed kindness to Harry by giving him the letters, worked to get her brother out of conversion therapy) would turn into someone who would poison her own kids. 

Was it a slow erosion of morality and deep deep denial? Was it that she resented the children because they reminded her of Christopher? I want answers!

• Like 2
  • Love 7

One nitpick: the music at the ball. I know they were picking music in the public domain, but they were playing The Nutcracker Suite? In summer? Somebody dropped the ball. ( No pun intended) 

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Was it a slow erosion of morality and deep deep denial?

I'm not sure from this show how she went so crazy. It has been hinted at about Malcolm abusing her. Olivia has gone bonkers by this time. Being constantly gas lighted and thinking you have to save the family name. 

This show made me have some empathy for Olivia, but she made some horrific decisions.  

• Like 1
  • Love 7
47 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

One nitpick: the music at the ball. I know they were picking music in the public domain, but they were playing The Nutcracker Suite? In summer? Somebody dropped the ball. ( No pun intended) 

Definitely the wrong time of year, but perhaps a nod to Cathy performing as The Sugar Plum Fairy for a televised production of The Nutcracker in POTW. 

49 minutes ago, toodywoody said:

Oh man, this episode was great. I can't wait for next week. 

So what did Malcolm do with Rock? Did he just chase him off or hurt him? Did he know that he was the guy that got her pregnant?

Chase him off, I’m guessing to “protect his reputation.” I’m thinking he knew it was Rockland and IIRC, he and Olivia have a conversation about it last episode. 

• Love 5