Type keyword(s) to search

Lifetime's VC Andrews Movies Topic (Flowers In The Attic, The Dollangangers, The Casteels, etc) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So after the writer/actor strike is over.. what adaptation/s do you think Lifetime should tackle next of V.C. Andrews?  Apparently they own the rights to all of the books, including new releases.

If it were me, I would do at least a 2 or 3 part series based on Midnight Whispers with Lillian's teen years at the Meadows, how she came to the Cove, and how she lived within the Cutler family in her 30s/40s.

Then maybe Lifetime could tackle the Hudson series (Rain)

• Like 5
7 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

So after the writer/actor strike is over.. what adaptation/s do you think Lifetime should tackle next of V.C. Andrews?  Apparently they own the rights to all of the books, including new releases.

If it were me, I would do at least a 2 or 3 part series based on Midnight Whispers with Lillian's teen years at the Meadows, how she came to the Cove, and how she lived within the Cutler family in her 30s/40s.

I hope Midnight Whispers is next. I am curious about what the next series is. The Hudson could be good. The Logan series was published next after the Landrys. Maybe not since it has a difference from the previous series with the fourth book being what happened to Melody's cousin Laura instead of her daughter and the grandmother book is mostly boring as was her reason for being terrible to everyone. But at least there's no rape. A few attempted rapes. Rain does have Summer. So maybe they'll go with it since it follows the same pattern except the prequel book didn't come out until years later when there was that Rain movie. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

You and @Country girl had the right idea about Midnight Whispers. I would love it up until baby Dawn’s kidnapping. 

From what I know of the Hudson series, I don’t know how well Andrew Neiderman captured the experience of a black female protagonist BUT Lifetime has impressed me with their Christmas movies about various POC families so I will give them a play. It might be good!

• Like 3

I stopped reading the books halfway through the Melody series and the nerve of having another Olivia! As if!

I just hope none of those awful retconned Chris Jr and Cory books get made into movies.

Oh, who am I kidding?

I'd watch them, too.

• LOL 3
12 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I stopped reading the books halfway through the Melody series and the nerve of having another Olivia! As if!

I just hope none of those awful retconned Chris Jr and Cory books get made into movies.

Oh, who am I kidding?

I'd watch them, too.

I don't know if my TV would survive me watching them.

• LOL 3

Ahh Dawn. LOL really missed the fact that I missed talkin about it with yall when it was live but now i can stoke the fires all over again!

as y'all said CLARA SUE.  LAURA SUE.. geez louise why change that. 

I am glad that the movies kinda touched my feeling with the book - that while Lillian had no time for Dawn (for obvious reasons) - in a way Dawn going head to head with Lilian just felt like she never really tried to be a Cutler either you know? She butted heads about the name, about the family and everything and I know it would be jarring but i always felt like - maybe if she tried - it might not have been that bad. but the fact that Dawn never did it kinda justified why Lillian treated her badly [in Lilian's mind lol]. it always amused me that Dawn hated Lilian - but then believed everything that Lilian said about Laura Sue.  It always bothered me (and the movie never addressed this) 

they kinda sped through the romance of Dawn & Jimmy. In the books Jimmy really had an issue with coming to terms that they were able to be together. (and it was part in parcel of why Dawn fell for the grooming for Michael)  - but i loved how everyone got the dig in that it was kinda gross - because it really was. (It was weird that Ormand didn't show up again because he had an issue with it) 

I feel the Betty Anne bit was kind of weirdly done. (I know they had to condense it in). but they really kind missed the creepy OMG that Philip had a girlfriend, and Dawn was relieved. but then it was like a big freaky to do that he made Betty Anne dye his hair to look like Dawn. 

I also really liked that the movie did show that Dawn was very much like Lillian - in the sense that Lillian never broke but bent in a way that made her stronger. It was something that Dawn realized after knew about all the secrets and in a way something I feel 

hmmm, I don't know if I like the fact that they made Philip basically kill Philip and that's why Dawn was in the boiler room (but then it also kinda makes sense why Dawn was in the boiler room and didn't run out to get help either (in the book). I just found it really crazy that Dawn wouldn't leave. It also really bothered me in the books (and in the movie) that basically everyone just up and left after Dawn died. - it really just felt it was obvious that they were setting up Christie to be VC-Andrews-ized by Philip and i think if they were changing things I would have shown Philip telling Trisha and Bronson and they were okay and to leave (i also find it so insane that Dawn and Jimmy  knowing what foster care and everything was like didn't have an ironclad plan for their children's welfare should they die).

Dawn always had a soft spot in my heart because it was my first VCA foray and I am glad they did a good job(though no Over the Rainbow from Dawn. Fail) out of it all - Origin is still my favourite because everything until the ending was on point. - Dawn is now 2nd, FITA, Ruby and then Heaven. 

(also also. once again. disappointed in the house. the Meadows should have been a plantation. Though i actually liked the Cove. it did feel very resort-y)

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Daisy said:

I am glad that the movies kinda touched my feeling with the book - that while Lillian had no time for Dawn (for obvious reasons) - in a way Dawn going head to head with Lilian just felt like she never really tried to be a Cutler either you know? She butted heads about the name, about the family and everything and I know it would be jarring but i always felt like - maybe if she tried - it might not have been that bad. but the fact that Dawn never did it kinda justified why Lillian treated her badly [in Lilian's mind lol].

Given that as soon as Dawn showed up she was locked in a room and treated like a servant, I get why she never embraced being a Cutler. I loved Donna Mills but I pegged in two seconds that Dawn wasn’t her bio grandchild because she was treating her atrociously compared to the other two kids. 

10 hours ago, Daisy said:

they kinda sped through the romance of Dawn & Jimmy. In the books Jimmy really had an issue with coming to terms that they were able to be together. (and it was part in parcel of why Dawn fell for the grooming for Michael)  - but i loved how everyone got the dig in that it was kinda gross - because it really was. (It was weird that Ormand didn't show up again because he had an issue with it) 

No one else mentioned this- thank you. Perhaps Jesse Metcalf had a scheduling conflict and couldn’t make it back (or he got injured) because I wondered that too!

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Given that as soon as Dawn showed up she was locked in a room and treated like a servant, I get why she never embraced being a Cutler. I loved Donna Mills but I pegged in two seconds that Dawn wasn’t her bio grandchild because she was treating her atrociously compared to the other two kids. 

in the books all the cutler kids had staff jobs. Clara Sue had actually "promoted" from cleaning staff to being on reception and Phillip had a job on the grounds - but everyone  worked (and worked hard). (the books actually showed Dawn trying to get to know/love Lillian and they cut all that out and basically made Dawn and her butt heads right away). There was never a real "Olivia softening" moment here or there with Dawn v. Lilian, but by cutting out the fact that Dawn did try hurt the actual impact that Dawn had leverage over Lillian with the kidnapping scandal and why until she got pregnant with Christie they were both at an impasse. -as well as Dawn realising more of Lillian's past. She never really "forgave" her but on a Scale of Jillian to Olivia (the 2nd - Melody). Lillian was firmly on the "tamer" side of things. (and again the story is kind of hurt - because we really didn't see "Lillian's" story -  even though we got Lillian's story we never saw Laura Sue's story (at all) or any of that  really was a shame.

[it wasn't until I wanna say the necklace incident and Dawn insisting that she was Dawn not "Eugenia" that Lilian flat out went 'feck it' and went hard core VCA-Grandma mode. (in a matter of speaking)

(there were so many mistakes in my original post lmao. Phillip didn't try to kill himself hahhaa i meant Jimmy. i really shouldn't post when i am tired)

yah it was really a weird choice (also the fact that Jesse Metcalf can now play a father you know you are old when)..

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, Daisy said:

in the books all the cutler kids had staff jobs. Clara Sue had actually "promoted" from cleaning staff to being on reception and Phillip had a job on the grounds - but everyone  worked (and worked hard). (the books actually showed Dawn trying to get to know/love Lillian and they cut all that out and basically made Dawn and her butt heads right away). There was never a real "Olivia softening" moment here or there with Dawn v. Lilian, but by cutting out the fact that Dawn did try hurt the actual impact that Dawn had leverage over Lillian with the kidnapping scandal and why until she got pregnant with Christie they were both at an impasse. -as well as Dawn realising more of Lillian's past. She never really "forgave" her but on a Scale of Jillian to Olivia (the 2nd - Melody). Lillian was firmly on the "tamer" side of things. (and again the story is kind of hurt - because we really didn't see "Lillian's" story -  even though we got Lillian's story we never saw Laura Sue's story (at all) or any of that  really was a shame.

That makes sense then. If the other kids had jobs at the resort, Dawn's treatment wouldn't have stuck out, too bad the movie didn't go that route. Lillian was awful (the entire kidnapping thing) but she wasn't a Corinne (FITA) or a Jillian (Casteel series).

It wouldve been nice to see Dawn and Laura Sue try to have some sort of relationship in movie 3, and have Clara Sue be jealous that-understandable, but because she is fucking evil and twisted she went off the deep end.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Daisy said:

[it wasn't until I wanna say the necklace incident and Dawn insisting that she was Dawn not "Eugenia" that Lilian flat out went 'feck it' and went hard core VCA-Grandma mode. (in a matter of speaking

They cut out the issue with the name too. In the book Dawn was told that she was named after Lillian's sister Eugenia. So while Dawn didn't like the name and wanted to be called Dawn. You could understand why Lillian and everyone else kept insisting on it. It's weird that they never do it and Dawn doesn't even learn about Eugenia until her time the Meadows but it's never really connected with Dawn's original name or her understanding why the name was so important. Even if it she wasn't named after a relative it would make sense that her bio family would want to call her by the name that her family (in the normal world her mother or father or both) picked for her and try to explain it to her. It just came off that Dawn was so unreasonable about her name and when she finally learns about the other Eugenia nothing comes from it. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

They cut out the issue with the name too. In the book Dawn was told that she was named after Lillian's sister Eugenia. So while Dawn didn't like the name and wanted to be called Dawn. You could understand why Lillian and everyone else kept insisting on it. It's weird that they never do it and Dawn doesn't even learn about Eugenia until her time the Meadows but it's never really connected with Dawn's original name or her understanding why the name was so important. Even if it she wasn't named after a relative it would make sense that her bio family would want to call her by the name that her family (in the normal world her mother or father or both) picked for her and try to explain it to her. It just came off that Dawn was so unreasonable about her name and when she finally learns about the other Eugenia nothing comes from it. 

Yeah. and that's sort of what I mean - like - (to be fair it's been a hot minute since I read any VCA books) but I remember that Dawn pretty much baulked at everything and didn't think "right they kinda mourned me and everything." (I always found it interesting that Lillian named Dawn Eugenia (after the sister she loved) while Dawn represented everything she hated) - it never really explained it either, so it was my head cannon that Lillian really wanted to, or thought if she was at least named over someone she loved so much - she could grow to love Dawn, but it just wouldn't take). 

I also had to laugh/roll my eyes how they were like "oh yeah we're cursed."  lol like you weren't cursed Dawn. a good chunk of your issues was because you were dumb lol

• Like 3
On 9/5/2023 at 4:47 PM, Daisy said:

Yeah. and that's sort of what I mean - like - (to be fair it's been a hot minute since I read any VCA books) but I remember that Dawn pretty much baulked at everything and didn't think "right they kinda mourned me and everything." (I always found it interesting that Lillian named Dawn Eugenia (after the sister she loved) while Dawn represented everything she hated) - it never really explained it either, so it was my head cannon that Lillian really wanted to, or thought if she was at least named over someone she loved so much - she could grow to love Dawn, but it just wouldn't take). 

I also had to laugh/roll my eyes how they were like "oh yeah we're cursed."  lol like you weren't cursed Dawn. a good chunk of your issues was because you were dumb lol

Yeah, it was weird that Lillian chose to name Dawn after her favorite sister. The only way it made sense to me was if she hadn't known until after she was born that Dawn wasn't Randolph's. But that's not how it happened.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Ruby, Pearl in the Mist, All That Glitters, and Hidden Jewel are the first V.C.Andrews movies I ever watched...kinda hooked now and after doing a bit of research I am at a loss on where to go from here, can somebody please tell me which ones I should watch next...they seem to be mini series of about 4 movies or so each time....please help..ty

On 9/22/2023 at 4:18 PM, jeaperscreapers said:

Ruby, Pearl in the Mist, All That Glitters, and Hidden Jewel are the first V.C.Andrews movies I ever watched...kinda hooked now and after doing a bit of research I am at a loss on where to go from here, can somebody please tell me which ones I should watch next...they seem to be mini series of about 4 movies or so each time....please help..ty

Hi!!! I suggest watching the Dollanganger series, then the Casteel series, and the Flowers in the Attic the Origin. 

Im watching The Invitation (Netflix) and I recognized Alana Boden, who played Alicia in FITA: The Origin Part 1&2!

• Like 2
(edited)

This is usually the time of year we get an announcement regarding more VC Andrews movies in the summer, but did a google search and didnt find anything. But my Mom reminded me that we had the writers strike so I can see things being behind, and perhaps not getting one this year.

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Like 3
On 2/10/2024 at 11:22 AM, Scarlett45 said:

This is usually the time of year we get an announcement regarding more VC Andrews movies in the summer, but did a google search and didnt find anything. But my Mom reminded me that we had the writers strike so I can see things being behind, and perhaps not getting one this year.

yeah or if we do it's going to be around christmas-ish time instead. 

• Like 2