Type keyword(s) to search

Davina & Sean

• Start Topic

I believe he may have told her he's a doctor to get in her pants, but that's about it. That person was posting stuff that makes no sense when compared to actual facts. I think it's just one person spreading lies under different names.

It is interesting that Sean's managed to make such enemies though, since Dr. C claims he's everyone's favourite cast member ever. There are way worse people on TV who don't get trashed like that by people claiming to know them.

• Love 3

I didn't like Sean from the first episode, before it was known he was selected.  I remember seeing him and thinking he was creepy and that he was one of those people who signed up for this so he could be on TV.  I didn't expect him to get selected because I thought the "experts" would see right through him.  I mean if I could see it in the first episode, how did they miss it in all the interviews, questionnaires, home visits, etc they did.  It could just be the editing but given what others who actually know him have said on other message boards, it is probably true that he is a little off.

As for Davina...ugh!  Again it could just be the editing, but good lord she is exhausting and high maintenance. 

These two are a trainwreck waiting to happen and there is no way they stay together in the end.  I think Ryan and Jacqulyn are the only ones who stay together.  I like them and they have been my favorite from the beginning.  I had hopes for Ryan and Jess but that quickly vanished after the 2 or 3rd episode (the first night together one).  When Jessica said they consumated their marriage, I knew this was the Vaughn and Monet couple of the season and they wouldn't last.

• Love 2

I believe there's some truth in that list too.  Even if one person is spreading it a lot of it doesn't sound too far from what people on this board have surmised based on their own observations of him and gut intuition.  My gut has been feeling it all along about him.   He himself dated the timing of the pregnancy to 2014 so how far off could this person be from the actual facts on that point?  A few months, perhaps?  That wouldn't make a whole lot of difference to me, it's still too freaking recent.  Even if he wasn't invested in a relationship with the woman just the fact that he is still sleeping around so recently makes him NOT ready for a serious commitment and therefore NOT a good marriage prospect.  It doesn't somehow get him off the hook.  In fact it says something even worse about him than if he was invested, IMO.  And if this person is wrong and he was invested it's STILL too freaking recent for him to be ready for marriage.  The way he acted about it in this week's episode was extremely revolting to me.  It's almost like he was making light of it as something sad but "oh well" it's in the past now like he is so cold and distant and clinical about it.  You don't just act that way about losing a child even if you're a guy and not the one pregnant.  Just having concern for the woman's feelings about it would be reason enough not to act the way he did about it.   And again, even if he acted this way because it was a "casual relationship" that only makes him look WORSE.  If he were a real mensch he would care about the woman's feelings enough not to act so removed from it only months later.  It doesn't matter that he didn't have a committed relationship with her.  She's a freaking human being that HE knocked up, forchrissakes.  He was making it all about him not getting a chance to be a father as if the woman was just a receptacle for his purposes that was easily discarded.  (OK, sorry, off soapbox now).

Also, a lot of people on reality shows have ambitions of using it to get on other reality shows.  That's nothing I would not expect of someone as creepy as him.   It goes with the territory.  And problematic relationships?  I see red flags all over him with regard to that.  This would not surprise me one bit.  I would expect that of him.  The way he went off on the hotel staff about the ring was probably just the tip of the iceberg with him.  And what we have seen ourselves with him and Davina is enough evidence for me to know that there's a lot of truth to that.

• Love 1
•He hopes to use the show as a springboard to other reality shows like Survivor or Amazing Race

Maybe so. I know I get this distinct vibe from Ryan D. for sure. Like, Pauly D. envy.

davetheman: Some of us aren't super-invested in our ethnic background. 21st C. American culture has reached the point where  people are allowed to "self-identify," whether it be by gender, race, ethnicity, or religion. Defining Davina's choices as "self-hate" is denying her her own autonomous right to think, prefer, and self-identify as she sees fit. She likes what she likes, and doesn't what she doesn't---just as do we all.  "Self-hate" is a psycho-analysis-by-TV I for one am not quite ready to accept.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 3

If Sean were a good person he would have considered the mother of his baby's feelings when discussing their sad situation on a reality TV show. Even though he did not reveal her identity, some people do know who she is. I'm sure he just brought all of her sorrow flooding back. I didn't see any compassion there. It could be editing but, I'm suspicious of his behavior for sure. Even though Davina has her own issues, she doesn't deserve Sean.

• Love 4

One thought I've had about Sean is that to work with trauma day in and day out, one has to emotionally disconnect in order to survive. It would not surprise me if he is an emotionally disconnected person and that may be one aspect his career works for him. People who can't do that tend to burn out and move on to something less emotionally draining.

He has  weirded me out in general since the beginning, though, so that is just one more detail that makes me wonder about his deeper personality.

• Love 6

I'm just going to throw this out here... I know that it has been mentioned that Davina is high maintenance (and she is) but I also think that Sean is high maintenance.  Can two high maintenance people make it work? 

Also, I think Sean disconnects from Davina every time she brings up an issue regarding his behavior.  He is not the same guy that stood up at the alter on their wedding day.  Every episode shows him shutting down and drawing away from Davina more.  I don't think it has anything to do with the show or the cameras but does have everything to do with Davina.

• Love 2

One thought I've had about Sean is that to work with trauma day in and day out, one has to emotionally disconnect in order to survive. It would not surprise me if he is an emotionally disconnected person and that may be one aspect his career works for him. People who can't do that tend to burn out and move on to something less emotionally draining.

He has  weirded me out in general since the beginning, though, so that is just one more detail that makes me wonder about his deeper personality.

I think this is a great point.  I asked myself how I'd feel if I had to work in trauma every day, all day long.  I can imagine that most people would become emotionally distant, if not they would just become a puddle of goo and wouldn't be able to get up in the morning.  

I do believe that Sean is in this to become a "reality star."  As I said on another thread, I'm reading Dr. Phil's book "Life Code" and there is a lot of truth in it, especially when he says this is a different world today.  Today people overshare, they put their business in the street because they know it could make them a reality star.  Maybe that's what seems creepy about Sean, that he's not really invested in this at all, that he's doing it for the fame that he will get.  I am certain he and Davina will split up and Sean will use this show to get into more women's pants.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

It's bad when I'm feeling bad for Sean. I resent Davina for driving me to that alone! Its wasn't even Manhattan she insisted on right it was Upper East Side? You drag someone to one of the most expensive areas in a place that's already a stretch for them, and he expressed the income difference, then she goes and calls him out for his attitude.

I thought Ryan D was pushing Jessica into a financially uncomfortable situation, but, geeze at least he for all his faults was leaving his zone for hers more or less and I don't know I think his expectations of her paying more were lower. Like Davina wanted her place but them both to pay 50/50 where as Ryan was fine with paying more than half to get what he wanted, though Jessica was understandably uncomfortable with it.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 1

I can't blame Sean or Davina for the commute/NYC issue. I have done an hour commute, and had a normal 9-5 job. It was doable but not pleasant. Three hours taken out of my day spent in the car, expenses for wear on my car, and the only car accidents I have ever been in in my life simply because I was on the road more at rush hour on a busy highway. I would be pissy too if I were Sean, having to be a nurse working long shifts, sometimes overnight.

That being said, Davina had stated that her deal breaker was living in NYC. I don't quite get it, but I would be upset if I went into this and had not had one of my deal breakers listened to. And Davina does not seem like the type to back down. I only blame the matchmakers for setting them up in the first place.

• Love 4

I wonder if Sean is more withdrawn/not engaged off screen than we are seeing and so that is making Davina look more bitchy/naggy.

I am soo skeptical about the editing of this show (among others) that I really do not trust my judgments about these people. I feel like I am being manipulated way too much- but then I'm not sure exactly how much I really am being manipulated.

Nevertheless, I will continue to watch.

• Love 1

I totally agree about the commute. I also cannot imagine Davina being less than forthcoming about her need to stay in Manhattan.

So why were they matched? Was it the small pool of applicants, are the "experts" matching some of these couples for drama instead of compatibility, or are the "experts" truly daft? I suspect it's a combination.

Plus, yeah, editing. It's a factor in all reality shows. Since conflict creates drama and there has to be drama for interest, we could be getting a really distorted view of these couples. (Even on Face Off, a reality show where everyone usually gets along, there's drama, though it's more about racing the clock and taking risks.)

• Love 3

I just watched Davian's talk with Sean, and my take on it is that she is telling h that she sees his withdrawal as something more then just his reluctance to live in NYC; that he is using that as a smokescreen for his real feelings. She was trying to get him to open up to her IMO. He ended up acknowledging her concerns but leaving to go home ASAP, not exactly what Davina signed up for. I know I am just about alone here in supporting Davina, but I think it is a tough situation for her. Maybe we are not being shown everything that has happened between them to change the dynamic between them because it started before the move came up.

• Love 3

I think sometimes on reality TV, people who are likable in real life become unlikable as they try to address increasing levels of frustration. That could be what we're seeing with Davina. Based on what we've seen, I still prefer her to Sean, but I do think she needs some kind of therapy to learn to express herself and her needs better. So far, we're seeing "read my mind" and "it has to be my way!" with very little in the vast range between those two forms of expression. 

• Love 1

And let's not forget that Sean initially presented himself as the Sensitive (Ponytail) Guy: crying in the limo, talking about being bullied, and the miscarriage - she may have gotten the message "wow, this guy is really open about his feelings - I should respond in kind." So now he's shutting down, and she's trying to carry on with their previous dynamic. Frustrating for sure, but I think (hope) she's starting to get the message.

• Love 3

That is true, she has many deal breakers (only white men, has to live in Manhattan, well off financially) and is not big on compromise. She expects the worst from men at every turn.

They are perhaps the couple having the difficulty of both being just about in their mid 30's with no experience with marriage or even a long term live-in relationship. There must be reasons why besides the premise that dating is difficult today.

Sean has a flamboyant way of expressing himself, "I wanted more than anything in the world to have a child". "I want more than anything in the world to be in love." He is an unusual man, and apparently not attracted to marriage so far! Not the realities, anyway, just the idea.

Yes, Sean was all into sharing his feelings, and now he is just the runaway groom!

• Love 1

As I get older, I meet more and more people who have been single for long stretches and maybe without any significant relationships. I think it has to do with a few things - career goals, not particularly wanting kids, a more urban lifestyle that isn't so focused on settling down. When there isn't a rush to couple up (if you can take care of yourself financially, your biological clock isn't ticking, and your friends aren't married either) you can be pickier about who you choose to spend your time with. Some people are probably overly picky and get frustrated when they realize they do want a relationship - but also need practice to learn how they work. That's kind of how I think of Davina.

Edited by girlplease
  • Love 5

I can understand Davina not wanting to leave Manhattan; everything she needs is probably in walking distance.  I'd hate to live somewhere where I had to drive a half hour to buy a quart of milk.  However, marriage is about compromise and maybe they could have found something between Manhattan and the suburbs.

I call bullshit on matching them up however.  In real life, people would know where their SO lives and would have dealt with that BEFORE the wedding.  I wonder if the show couldn't find enough white men who live in Manhattan.  Maybe that's the real issue.

As I get older, I meet more and more people who have been single for long stretches and maybe without any significant relationships. I think it has to do with a few things - career goals, not particularly wanting kids, a more urban lifestyle that isn't so focused on settling down. When there isn't a rush to couple up (if you can take care of yourself financially, your biological clock isn't ticking, and your friends aren't married either) you can be pickier about who you choose to spend your time with. Some people are probably overly picky and get frustrated when they realize they do want a relationship - but also need practice to learn how they work. That's kind of how I think of Davina.

I agree with this, myself and all my friends are like this.  I think there's less pressure on getting married today.  If you don't want children and you can financially take care of yourself, there's no real need to get married.  It's more of a want today.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

I can understand Davina not wanting to leave Manhattan; everything she needs is probably in walking distance.  I'd hate to live somewhere where I had to drive a half hour to buy a quart of milk.  However, marriage is about compromise and maybe they could have found something between Manhattan and the suburbs.

In the A&E clip mentioned above (Davina Demands Manhattan) she talks about how because Sean agreed to relocating before the experiment and Manhattan was a deal-breaker for her she felt compromise wasn't necessary. I sympathize with her in this regard as it sounds like she was up-front about Manhattan (everyone has their deal-breakers) and I bet she she feels like a bait-and-switch has been pulled on her. I don't really like Davina or Sean individually or as a couple but I do feel bad for her in this regard. 

• Love 5

If Davina said Manhattan is a dealbreaker, and the "experts" didn't vet Sean in terms of him being OK moving there, then I place the fault completely on them.

I do also think that there is a deeper issue going on between them that Davina hinted at - the move being a smokescreen, or something to that effect.

Time will tell....

• Love 2

That Sean's resistance to the move is just a smokescreen for the deeper issues he has with being in a relationship with Davina. However, her talk only served to pressure him and make him run. It doesn't look good for them, I agree

If Sean is not getting the sex he thinks he deserves, there is no way he will bother to stay in Manhattan. I don't think he ever had trouble hooking up and what qualities does Davina have that make it worth making an actual effort for him to get laid? Is she funny? Smart? Generous? Davina strikes me as the kind who lays back and stares at the ceiling and thinks oral sex is yucky. She's demanding and snobby and appears to think her "effort" in a relationship only involves making sure she has a fresh blowout and a mani/pedi.  

• Love 1

She suggested sex in her talk, but he was feeling pressured so he declined with his wham bam thing, like he couldn't perform on cue. I do agree with him on that.

But in the very beginning they were both into romance and promises.

I think these couples are really into the idea of getting married, but aren't ready for the compromise and sacrifice since they married strangers and the show purposely was set around the holidays to make things extra stressful.

But I agree with you, Davina needs someone charming and romantic to get her going, she can be responsive but she doesn't have an outgoing personality like Jaclyn, and she is not sweet and passive like Jessica.

@ChristmasJones

I do also think that there is a deeper issue going on between them that Davina hinted at - the move being a smokescreen, or something to that effect.

@shopper73

That Sean's resistance to the move is just a smokescreen for the deeper issues he has with being in a relationship with Davina. However, her talk only served to pressure him and make him run. It doesn't look good for them, I agree

I totally agree with this. Total smokescreen. 

• Love 1

If Davina said Manhattan is a dealbreaker, and the "experts" didn't vet Sean in terms of him being OK moving there, then I place the fault completely on them.

Time will tell....

Something sticks in my mind during her interview with the expert that she said she would NOT leave Manhattan. She was very emphatic about that.

• Love 1

Davina must be pretty pissed that her family was right.

I would probably be friends-ish with Davina if we were co-workers or something IRL; she's shrewd and smart. Probably has a sarcastic sense of humor although we haven't seen it here. But I don't see many men having the wellspring of patience needed for an intimate relationship.

• Love 2

As a fellow hirsute brunette, I understand the challenge and frustration of meeting society's expectations of female grooming. But, as concerned as she is about appearances, Davina has let the hair on her cheeks/sideburns/chin get out of hand. I noticed this during the honeymoon massage scene. It's easy to take care of by waxing or laser-ing. Heck, there has even been a beauty trend for women to shave their faces (hairy or not) as a way to exfoliate the skin. 

I could imagine that being something that will eventually annoy Sean. (Not that he doesn't have a hundred annoying characteristics himself.)

In the A&E clip mentioned above (Davina Demands Manhattan) she talks about how because Sean agreed to relocating before the experiment and Manhattan was a deal-breaker for her she felt compromise wasn't necessary. I sympathize with her in this regard as it sounds like she was up-front about Manhattan (everyone has their deal-breakers) and I bet she she feels like a bait-and-switch has been pulled on her. I don't really like Davina or Sean individually or as a couple but I do feel bad for her in this regard.

Davina made me like her even less in that clip. It seems like she thinks that because Sean told the experts he would be willing to move for a relationship that he forfeited any right to feel anxious about moving or consternation about the fact that he would have a 2 hour commute from Manhattan (each way). I get the impression Sean was as happy in NJ as Davina is in Manhattan, but realizing that relationships require compromise, he told the experts that he would be willing to move and would even consider getting a different job. That doesn't mean he's not making some sacrifice to do it.

• Love 2

From what I'm reading elsewhere it seems like Davina realized that Sean lied about wanting to move to Manhattan.  Maybe he thought that if he were head over heels for someone he'd do it but that's unrealistic to expect in a situation like this where you meet someone when you marry them.  It just doesn't happen overnight.  I doubt, though, that he would be a good match for Davina anyway.  I am beginning to see some of her diva-ish behavior as coming from the fact that she saw he had no intentions of moving.

I don't think Sean ever wanted to move to Manhattan. I mean he kept repeating that he never thought he'd be living there. He probably said he was open to the possibility when asked, but having only spent hours there before, didn't really realize how hard it would actually be. And then Davina wouldn't even give him a day to get settled before she started doubting him and demanding more. Seems she thought he'd be skipping down the highway to their new closet situated two hours from his job where he works 12-hour shifts. If things were going better between them then maybe he would've been okay with it and changed jobs down the line. I wouldn't call him a liar just because he didn't want to be with Davina badly enough.

• Love 2

When someone says they are open to relocate, they probably are open to it, but that doesn't mean they want Manhattan.  Manhattan is a lifestyle and not for everyone.  Davina's "sex in the city" personality started to show itself as they were driving into the city and she was on my last nerve by the time they hit the lunch spot.  Any of her likeable characteristics shown in the previous episodes quickly vanished.  Sean is just creepy.  The match-makers did a horrible job with this couple.  The experts will claim they gave them each what they asked for but that in reality it's not what they actually want.  Similar to the excuses they gave for Vaughn a Monet last season.

• Love 2

For a few weeks in their interim apartment, they could have still stayed in Manhattan but found a place that would have been easier for Sean to commute.  Didn't she say it was a block from her old apartment?  She's the only one out of the 6 not moving out of her neighborhood.  I hate to defend Sean, but she needs to give him some time to adjust.

Adjust to what, misspearle? According to the thread linked elsewhere where a friend of Davina's (okay, admittedly there'd be a bias there) posted, Sean never even moved to Manhattan. The only time he went there was for filming purposes.

I don't want to defend her too much because I too think she's pretty high maintenance and still has issues she needs to deal with, but I think he's downright deceitful.

Edited by buckbuck

Soooo, it wasn't even like Sean and Davina tried to be married.

Minney hit it, both Monet and Davina fit in that "Sex and the City" mold, and that shows their preference for a single lifestyle.

When Sean was asked if he would relocate, he probably didn't consider that he would have to move to Manhattan.

When someone says they are open to relocate, they probably are open to it, but that doesn't mean they want Manhattan.  Manhattan is a lifestyle and not for everyone.  Davina's "sex in the city" personality started to show itself as they were driving into the city and she was on my last nerve by the time they hit the lunch spot.  Any of her likeable characteristics shown in the previous episodes quickly vanished.  Sean is just creepy.  The match-makers did a horrible job with this couple.  The experts will claim they gave them each what they asked for but that in reality it's not what they actually want.  Similar to the excuses they gave for Vaughn a Monet last season.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I said up-thread.  Manhattan is like it's own separate country in a way.  He didn't know what he was getting into until he saw it.  The guy admitted to spending very little time there in the past so he had no clue (a few hours once?).  Once he got there he realized right away that it was just not for him.  I still blame the "experts" for not anticipating the very real possibility of this happening beforehand and matching him with Davina.  Unless of course he lied his way in and said he knew Manhattan and would love living there.

For a few weeks in their interim apartment, they could have still stayed in Manhattan but found a place that would have been easier for Sean to commute.  Didn't she say it was a block from her old apartment?  She's the only one out of the 6 not moving out of her neighborhood.  I hate to defend Sean, but she needs to give him some time to adjust.

I thought Sean said he wanted to move to a place near the apartment she owned so he wouldn't have to get to know two neighborhoods? 

When Sean was asked if he would relocate, he probably didn't consider that he would have to move to Manhattan.

I just can't believe that Sean was so surprised about having to move to Manhattan. Two out of three couples from last season lived there during the show. 

She should have recognized his anxiety about moving, but he should have told her, too, and not run away. But they're doomed anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

• Love 1

I agree with Minney about her Sex and The City persona coming through on the drive to Manhattan.  I thought at one point while driving Sean was singing or doing something lighthearted and she just sat there with her sunglasses on acting too cool. Making a snow angel was so risky for her as a too cool Manhattanite....spare me...

• Love 2

Sean might be open to moving if Davina had something to offer other than exhausting conversations about her feelings.  Sean's had enough of that.  Is there anything inviting about Davina?  Sean's a mess too but, as a guy, I can see why he has a foot out the door.

He's on his way out and Davina recognizes it so she started getting more sexual - a tactic that probably worked in her past and a complete 180 from her earlier statement that she didn't want to have sex until they were in love.  She said that after suggesting there was no wedding night sex.  Even her method of suggesting sex is about her - saying that if Sean got in line (or "got out of his own way" as she put it), there might be some sex at some point in the possible future...maybe.  That line might have worked on guys back when she was 24 - but she's long past those days. 

Either get in the marriage or not, clearly this "testing the waters" approach isn't going to work.

• Love 3

thank you, Sex and The City, for bringing to Manhattan loud women who make potty jokes in public. Hate that show. I don't think Davina is even a NY native, right? and isn't the fam in CA (I'm assuming she grew up there?)? She strikes me as an imsecure try-hard.

I think it's interesting that one of Davina's friends (on that other board that was posted in the media spoilers thread) emerged from the woodwork singing Davina's praises (in a rather aggressive, condescending manner), and Jaclyn is defending her too. I get that Sean is a creep but I'm guessing that when their relationship implodes, she's not going going to come out smelling like roses, either.

I wonder if that "friend" singing her praises is really Davina.  That'd be hilarious. 

• Love 4

She's the only one out of the 6 not moving out of her neighborhood.

Jessica is staying in Brooklyn too, isn't she? Might be a different part of Brooklyn than she was living in previously - though I suppose if she was only moving a block away from her old apartment, they probably would have mentioned it like they did with Davina.

I just can't believe that Sean was so surprised about having to move to Manhattan. Two out of three couples from last season lived there during the show. 

Ding ding ding. This, exactly.

I see what you mean, but I have to disagree.  Manhattan isn't a monolith.  There are many different areas of Manhattan.  The problem to me was where Davina lived in Manhattan, the Upper East Side.  That place is hard for the most patient of people, I stayed there for a while and didn't like it, and I live in Manhattan.  There are a lot more people living there than there were five years ago, the sidewalks are narrower than they are uptown, or on the West Side, it's crowded and noisy.  Had Davina lived on Riverside Drive or West End Avenue, Sean might not have had all that anxiety.  It's quieter over there, once you walk west of Broadway, you can feel the difference.   I don't think Davina considered that, how Sean might feel living there, and to me that's the problem with her.

I also think that Sean would relocate for a spouse, but that's in an organic situation, where you meet, spend time together, get to know each other and fall in love.  Not when it's, "Hello, we're getting married now."

• Love 6

Dr. C implied on that other board that Davina's deal breaker wasn't just Manhattan, it was Upper East Side, which added an extra 30-45 minutes to Sean's commute. I guess Sean could've pleaded that they get an interim apartment in some other area closer to NJ, but what good would that have done in the long run, when she had a new apartment waiting in UES? It's not like she would've agreed to not move there after having it renovated, so living somewhere else during the experiment would've just delayed the inevitable. Best to find out the reality of the situation sooner rather than later. I can't really blame Sean for pulling back. He said he was open to living in Manhattan, but probably thought he'd have some say in where exactly. Instead he was dropped in the middle of Davina's world with no say in anything. I think he gave up soon after the so called move. I want to say he should've tried harder, but it's not like these two seem like a good fit to begin with, unlike Doug and Jamie for example. So far they simply depress me, so what is there to fight for exactly?

• Love 3

it's true it's hard to like either one of them. To me the behavior we see from Sean - detached and uninterested - and the response of Davina as clingy, needy and demanding is just a recipe for disaster. Had I not seen her Favoriting and Retweeting everything negative about Sean on Twitter - I would have some empathy. However, she is a 34 year old CAREER WOMAN. She acts SO MATURE yet that is about the most high school thing you can do. I get she might be angry with how it played out but have some class!

• Love 5

I'm still stuck on the "experts" deliberately violating the deal-breakers. I can't get past that to even care who's more right or more wrong in this couple.

The "experts" lied. They lied, they betrayed trust, they violated the agreement. The "experts" are the problem.

• Love 7