Type keyword(s) to search

Davina & Sean

• Start Topic

Maybe Sean was a jerk as a kid and that's why the other kids didn't lik him? I certainly don't see anything likeable about him as an adult.

Same with Davina. Maybe she was an over-sensitive, snobby, princess so kids didn't ike her.

• Love 5

Maybe Sean was a jerk as a kid and that's why the other kids didn't lik him? I certainly don't see anything likeable about him as an adult.

Same with Davina. Maybe she was an over-sensitive, snobby, princess so kids didn't ike her.

I had the same thought about Sean. Not that anything condones bullying, let alone physical assault. I mean clearly the bullies were even bigger jerks than him. However, not all bullying is based on superficial matters, sometimes it's the personality of the victim that ticks people off and I suspect that was the case with Sean. Still wrong but nonetheless may say something about him. He said the people bullying him were his "friends".

I think Davina was bullied for superficial matters. She was an Indian kid in a small town. Sounds like regular ignorance and racism to me.

"I don't know why people insist that they don't snore. How would they know whether they do or not - they're asleep! That was another thing that bugged me about Sean. Why would Davina make up something like that?"

One day I was at the movies and someone was snoring LOUD.  I looked around, and everyone was looking at me.  Guess what?  I was the one snoring.  I snored so loud I woke myself up, LOL.

• Love 4

Two creepy people.

Davina is the worst type of woman. Hyper-sensitive about perceived slights, constant seeking of praise for her and her mother, off the wall emotionally, and in general just seems like a person who needs intense and longterm therapy.

Sean seems to have no sense of decency with the overwhelming sex talk, he seems cheesy as hell, still think this dude is a little light in the loafers, on top of being equally as narcassitic as Davina.

Two crazy messed up people in a relationship. I give them 0% chance at surviving past 3 years if they even make it to the end of this season.

I totally agree with this post.  

Davina is looking for something to go wrong and I thought Sean was inappropriate talking about sex in front of the two women giving them massage.  

• Love 1

Why is connecting two people based on bullying a good start for a relationship?  I mean aren't most people bullied in some form?  Even the most popular kids are teased and ridiculed. I don't understand why that continues to be brought up.  I'm wondering if Sean was the Know it All kid that never shut up and the kids bullied him because he was a brown nosing fool? That's how he seems to me. Davina is such an attention whore. SPOILED

Why is connecting two people based on bullying a good start for a relationship? 

Because when you are an "expert" trying desperately to make couples out of a pool of only 20 telegenic people, bullying might be the only thing you can use. They did it with race last season.

I'd be more confident in the matches of the "experts" had used astrological signs for matching. Or favorite foods. Or matched people who could or couldn't drive a stick. 

• Love 3

I'd be more confident in the matches of the "experts" had used astrological signs for matching. Or favorite foods. Or matched people who could or couldn't drive a stick. 

Great ideas for a companion show. Photogenic singles share a combination birthday/wedding cake on the day they meet. Or they walk into a buffet with various types of food and are matched on that basis. As for not driving stick, see The Amazing Race this season. 

• Love 1

Actually when Dr. Pepper was talking to Jessica before the matches were made, Jessica mentioned being moody because she's a Cancer sign. Dr. Pepper laughed and said she doesn't use astrology. I guess that would be just crazy compared to assessing a stranger based on a 10-minute talk.

• Love 3

What I don't like about Sean is that he seems so eager to talk and pontificate. He asked Davina a question, and he wasn't even listening to her answer because he was so anxious to say the "romantic" idea he came up with. He's also full of "shoulds" and long winded tutorials. This is the kind of date who I would just lead on with open questions and let them talk and talk while I went to a happy place inside.

• Love 10

I'm kind of tired of Davina and Sean whining about their childhoods. Plenty of people have terrible childhoods, but if you want to have a healthy adulthood, you have to get that shit taken care of. Go to therapy, read self-help books, meditate, etc. Do what you have to do to be happy and stop blaming stuff that happened 25 years ago for why you can't have a normal relationship with another person. I would be more understanding if a major trauma were involved but bullying (who hasn't been bullied?) and daddy issues (doesn't everyone have issues with their parents?) are pretty normal.

Davina said that being "sick" with her secrets was manifested in many ways, being angry and sad. Idk. Like I said before, I've only heard that quote from people who've been in rehab.

But I also don't think that talking about deep dark childhood secrets is the thing to do on one's honeymoon.

i agree. Bur it's nit just them.

Did u know Douchebag's grandparents had the most perfect marriage in the history of the world? In case you hadn't heardm Ryan R's sister died of breast cancer, and then his brother-in-law died in a motorcycle accident. And Jessica's ex-fiancee cheated on her! How shocking!

Almost all of this is played up 4 the cameras.

(edited)

What bothers me about Davina and Sean is that neither seem realistic.  Someone upthread mentioned that they completely bought into the hype of this being a fairytale.  I totally agree with that sentiment!

When Davina was overcome with emotions of feeling safe, content and happy -- Sean took it that she was overwhelmed with the beautiful scenery.   He didn't put his arm around her... but he was holding her hand and he didn't quite look like he understood what was going on.  He was happily oblivious.  Then, later on when Davina chatised him for it and told him that she needs him to be more perceptive next time -- it wreaks of high-maintenance.  "Read My Mind" is what she really meant.  But in reality, what does she expect?  They've been together for what -- 3 or 4 days at this point?  No way is he going to know her well enough to read her emotions, moods, etc.  That takes time in a marriage and is certainly not instantaneous.

Sean being dismissive when she was telling a story about her mom and then trying to "one up" her after she told him about her most romantic moment,  was telling.  I'm not saying that he had to be doing cartwheels over the fact that her mom was the only female on the ski team in India... but he could have at least acknowledged it.  "Oh cool." would have sufficed.   He seems very ... in to himself.  They both do, actually.

When they are talking -- it seems like they are talking circles around one another.  Davina keeps living the sad and unsettling moments in her life and Sean keeps retelling the stories of the days where he was bullied.  They aren't communicating well.  Not good.

Edited by MissScarlett
  • Love 7

What I don't like about Sean is that he seems so eager to talk and pontificate. He asked Davina a question, and he wasn't even listening to her answer because he was so anxious to say the "romantic" idea he came up with. He's also full of "shoulds" and long winded tutorials. This is the kind of date who I would just lead on with open questions and let them talk and talk while I went to a happy place inside.

Man, this forever. Shut up for five seconds, Sean! I kinda agree with whoever said upthread that Sean might have been bullied because he was annoying. His not-so-clever asides and dorky sex talk in the couples massage were so cringeworthy.

Davina doesn't bother me so much. I suspect she's already getting tired of Sean's yapping and that's why she got a little pouty and pointed out that he wasn't listening to her - I bet he does that a lot and she can't get a word in edgewise.

After watching this week's episode, I'm having a hard time understanding why Davina got accepted to the experiment. She seems like she's still got a TON of work to do on herself. She seems pretty high maintenance and broken and just really not ready for the magnitude of what being married at first sight is.

• Love 2

What bothers me about Davina and Sean is that neither seem realistic.  Someone upthread mentioned that they completely bought into the hype of this being a fairytale.  I totally agree with that sentiment!

When Davina was overcome with emotions of feeling safe, content and happy -- Sean took it that she was overwhelmed with the beautiful scenery.   He didn't put his arm around her... but he was holding her hand and he didn't quite look like he understood what was going on.  He was happily oblivious.  Then, later on when Davina chatised him for it and told him that she needs him to be more perceptive next time -- it wreaks of high-maintenance.  "Read My Mind" is what she really meant.  But in reality, what does she expect?  They've been together for what -- 3 or 4 days at this point?  No way is he going to know her well enough to read her emotions, moods, etc.  That takes time in a marriage and is certainly not instantaneous.

That is exactly what I thought. How on Earth is he going to know that she doesn't show emotions, that crying in front of someone is huge for her? He acknowledged it ("are you having a moment now?") and he was smiling and enjoying the moment next to her. I don't think he was wrong here. She overreacted.

• Love 6

Davina is high maintenance and has so many unrealistic expectations. I think a few of the participants have really set the bar high in terms of what they tough the arranged marriages would bring:

1) Davina wanted a mind reader that would treat her like a princess
2) Jaclyn wanted an extremely attractive guy with whom she would have an instant connection
3) Ryan Douche wanted someone that would put up with his piggish attitude and deal with it without complains.

Sean on the other hand comes across as fake and so manicured. It looks like he rehearses every little thing he says, with quotes straight out of self-help books etc.

And I don't think he's getting laid anytime soon. And that will frustrate him.

For me these two are the least likely to make it. Too much baggage between them

• Love 4

I've only seen this honeymoon episode a few minutes ago for the first time. I just can't get over how immature Davina is. I think she wants the perfect movie-theater love story.  Life ain't like that lady, so put on your big girl pants and start behaving like a mature adult woman. If this couple remains married, then this guy Sean is going to have to deal with a very high maintenance woman. Don't men get a little tired of that maintenance after a while? Davina doesn't know the first thing about being a giving, understanding wife.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 2

Davina threw out red flags when her friends were giving her a hard time pre-wedding, saying that they didn't think she would be able to handle being married, she couldn't even get past a second date. I thought, wow, if your friends know that about you, that doesn't bode well. And we see it now, the way she is hypersensitive and looking for the littlest flaws. Somehow Sean should know that everything that comes out of her mouth is so significant and crucial to his understanding of her, even when it's tiny details about her life.

Agreeing with all of you who think Sean is into himself. It's as if he thinks he is the most perfect, romantic guy in the world and he has to make sure everyone knows it. The whole lock-and-key shtick made me want to gag. I'm getting some creepy vibes from him. I think it's kind of gross that he was talking about sex like that when a) he barely knows Davina and b) in front of the massage therapists (to say nothing of on camera). I wonder if he's one of those guys that goes into details of their sex lives with their bros.

Edited by gingerandcloves
  • Love 2

Another thing... Do you think that he really wants to hear about your beautiful most romantic moment with some other guy? Her eyes all sparkly and smiley. No. Your newlywed husband doesn't want to hear all about it or comment on how awesome that must have been, tell me more. I mean, he is not your girlfriend.

To get so upset about that made me feel she is a bit clueless... 

Don't take things so literally.He asked so he could have an excuse to say something nice to her. Maybe, he should have asked "Do you know what was my most romantic moment?" instead, to avoid misunderstandings.

Edited by Passthepopcorn
  • Love 2

I think we'll see Sean and/or Davina on an episode of "Who The F@&$ Did I Marry?" In the near future.

I agree but at this point I am not sure who will be asking that question in their episode! It could go either way.

• Love 2

I am watching the carriage scene where Davina cries, and I think Sean's disconnect I'd because Sean is no longer pursuing her - either he is overwhelmed by too much romance too soon, or they actually already slept together. He doesn't seem as mushy as he was.

I thought Douche was the biggest psycho on this show but Sean is winning this race by a mile.

He got his FWB pregnant; she had miscarriage and then he got married to a stranger the same year? This guy isn’t right.

• Love 5

The more I watch the reruns, the more disengaged Sean seems from the beginning. Even after the wedding when they had the few minutes alone he seemed to look over her when she was talking and tune out.

The show's creators seem to view marriage as a form of therapy. I think they are mistaken! They match these couples with that in mind, hopeful to help the individuals overcome past traumas or develop new coping skills, for example. Doug helping Jamie, Courtney a new mom for Jason, Monet to make Vaughn more social.

• Love 2

I got the feeling that Sean's pregnant girlfriend wasn't really a girlfriend, more of a hook up/jump-off/one night stand who called and said she was pregnant, then had a miscarriage.  Sean probably wasn't as invested as he claimed to be, he was probably glad he didn't have to pay child support; that was the vibe I got from him.  

Edited by Neurochick

I got the feeling that Sean's pregnant girlfriend wasn't really a girlfriend, more of a hook up/jump-off/one night stand who called and said she was pregnant, then had a miscarriage.  Sean probably wasn't as invested as he claimed to be, he was probably glad he didn't have to pay child support; that was the vibe I got from him.  

Yeah, I thought of that possibility too.  I also thought that this so-called "miscarriage" was perhaps the oldest ploy in the book by a woman who wanted more with him than he did with her and thought that saying she was pregnant would get him to commit to her, and when it didn't somehow the "pregnancy" turned into a "miscarriage".  Still, even if it was a slightly different scenario this should send red flags up to Davina about his character.  And she seems to be living in a dream world about it or is just a good actress.  Perhaps the story he told sanitizes his role in the whole thing and Davina's buying it.  I however am not.

Supposedly I read in a prior thread that she was far enough along to know the sex and they were picking names. He does sound strange. He has already distanced himself from Davina IMO. And they have known each other for such a short time!

• Love 1

Yes, Sean's pregnancy/miscarriage story is really, really bizarre. I sure hope the show wouldn't manipulate something as serious as that for the sake of ratings. But yeah, I know.

Too many unanswered questions: Who was the mother? What kind of relationship did she and Sean actually have? Is he certain she was pregnant? Is he certain it was his? Is he certain there actually was a miscarriage? How was he able to go from THAT to marrying a total stranger ON TV in less than a year?

If the show is going to put this stuff out there and expect us to buy it as "reality," then they owe us some concrete answers. Along with some answers as to how the Experts thought a man in the above situation was a good candidate for this show. Marriage to the right person can help to *heal* you, but it can't *fix* you. IMHO those are two very different things.

As I said, I think the show played up a lot of this stuff in hopes of ramping up sympathy for Sean -- but it's backfiring.

• Love 3

Yes, Sean's pregnancy/miscarriage story is really, really bizarre. I sure hope the show wouldn't manipulate something as serious as that for the sake of ratings. But yeah, I know.

Too many unanswered questions: Who was the mother? What kind of relationship did she and Sean actually have? Is he certain she was pregnant? Is he certain it was his? Is he certain there actually was a miscarriage? How was he able to go from THAT to marrying a total stranger ON TV in less than a year?

I know, the timeline totally doesn't make any sense.  There's no way this could have happened early in 2014 and already in the fall of 2014 he's ready for marriage to a total stranger.  And it's very rare to miscarry so late in a pregnancy.  Not sure what I believer really happened there....

• Love 2

The show's creators seem to view marriage as a form of therapy. I think they are mistaken! They match these couples with that in mind, hopeful to help the individuals overcome past traumas or develop new coping skills, for example. Doug helping Jamie, Courtney a new mom for Jason, Monet to make Vaughn more social.

Ain't that the truth. Jamie should never have been selected as a candidate with her trust issues, and what was Jason even thinking making such a commitment when his mother was dying of cancer? Yes lucky for the experts, it all worked out.

This year, however, their explanations of why they paired people together were doozies. I particularly shook my head at the bullying connection that they saw as something Davina and Sean had in common. And both Jamie AND Jessica's acting/modeling aspirations should have sent up red flags immediately.

Davina speaks in platitudes. I didn't realize that a person in pharmaceutical sales (eww) could afford a Manhattan apartment. I wonder where in the city she lives.

Pharmaceutical reps actually make pretty decent money - looks like the range is around $75-$120k in New York. Looked like she had a nice studio. 

I never wanted children, so there's that, but I don't understand anyone, man or woman, being over the moon about getting pregnant from a casual hookup. Was Sean intending to maintain a relationship with the woman and be involved in raising the kid? Was he supporting her through the pregnancy and going with her to doctor appointments? What were her feelings about him?

I mean ... for him to be so excited, then brought so low for months about a child he might or might not even have known seems like he's making it more about him than the baby.

But I know 4 sentences worth of the story so will allow for the possibility that I'm completely misreading the situation.

• Love 3

I do know that pharmaceutical reps in the NYC metro area can make very lovely salaries.

Please forgive my bluntness...but Sean's sad story of miscarriage? Bullshit. Something's off about Nurse Sean.

And Davina has serious issues herself. She's bright and capable. She should commit to serious therapy and analysis. Forget marriage for a while.....concentrate on herself.

• Love 2

I never wanted children, so there's that, but I don't understand anyone, man or woman, being over the moon about getting pregnant from a casual hookup. Was Sean intending to maintain a relationship with the woman and be involved in raising the kid? Was he supporting her through the pregnancy and going with her to doctor appointments? What were her feelings about him?

I mean ... for him to be so excited, then brought so low for months about a child he might or might not even have known seems like he's making it more about him than the baby.

But I know 4 sentences worth of the story so will allow for the possibility that I'm completely misreading the situation.

When he was talking with Davina about the miscarriage they were acting like it was so sad, and that he was very excited about having a baby and how sad it was that the woman had a miscarriage.  Given that and the fact that they picked out a name it kind of implies a relationship deeper than just a one night stand that produced a baby and him doing the "honorable thing".   If he was more emotionally involved with the woman and they broke up after a miscarriage, how could he have gotten over it so fast?  If he wasn't that emotionally involved, then what does that say about him to have been knocking up a woman and then leaving her after a miscarriage only to be ready to marry a complete stranger on a reality show just months later?  Nothing adds up about this story just based on the things we know about it but even if we knew more I don't see how they would ever add up to anything good about Sean.

• Love 5

I noticed that during the miscarriage conversation Sean said he wanted a child, or to be a father, more than anything in the world, just like pre-wedding he wanted to be in love more than anything in the world. Apparently he tends to be very dramatic and talks a a lot about his feelings, something a bit feminine about him, besides his decorating. Plus how to explain the quick change of very major life goals? Also, nurses especially ER trauma nurses, feed off of drama, crises, adrenaline. That is a big part of who Sean is. The experts put Davina in a situation where she should be cautious, looking for red flags, but using that to say that is a flaw in her personality from her bad childhood and absent father! More like being set up than matched. Ditto for Jessica and Ryan.

The experts put Davina in a situation where she should be cautious, looking for red flags, but using that to say that is a flaw in her personality from her bad childhood and absent father! More like being set up than matched. Ditto for Jessica and Ryan.

I think Davina is peeking out from behind her own red flags.  These two need an open marriage, so they can have a threesome with

a therapist ( not one from this show).

• Love 3

If I were to meet Sean on a dating site and he told me that suspicious story about the miscarriage I would not have given him a second date because the red flags would be waving all over the place.  If during that date I also saw his grandma decorated apartment and heard his tearful bullying tales I think I would have called the date short and walked home.  Seriously, to quote Fawlty Towers, "There's enough material there for an entire conference".  I know I have been married for 35 years but once about 10 years ago Mr. Snarklepuss and I were in the process of a divorce and we both started doing the dating sites independently of each other.  We both met enough wackos to send us back into each others arms for good.   It made both of us realize how good we had it.  You don't really know what you have until you see what you could have.  Anyway, I met enough guys during that time that were very obviously not ready for relationships, and Sean reminds me of them.  There's no way in hell the so-called "experts" on this show could convince me he is ready for marriage.  Amongst other things, Sean also strikes me as a commitment-phobe, which ties into his bed hopping behavior.  That plus my visceral creepy reaction to him.  My gut has never failed me.  Never.

• Love 13

I don't think the miscarriage story is that odd. He said they were "dating", so it sounds like an accident, but that doesn't mean that he didn't want the child. There are plenty of men who get married just because they want children, not because they actually want to be tied to the same woman for the rest of their lives. I see Sean as having very little interest in actually getting to know the women he's seeing. He seems pretty mememe. So I can actually see him being happy about becoming a father without the trouble of love and marriage. He could just go on doing what he usually does while seeing the child every now and then. Or maybe they decided to try and make it work for the sake of the child and split when there was no child.

In any case, I do still think it was way too early for him to be applying for this show. He's got enough baggage as it is. He needs to learn to be in a relationship first before marriage. Did he ever talk about his previous relationships and how long they were? I just get the impression that he doesn't know how to give, whether it be time, attention, affection or support. He's all about taking, which is probably why he's still single.

• Love 2

Sean's reaction to the miscarriage was either normal or completely self-centered depending on how far along she was.  A few weeks is one thing, 8 months is another.  He says it was at a time when you wouldn't expect problems - that makes me think she was further along. 

Davina was shaking her head "no" when explaining how great Christmas dinner was - strikes me as completely insincere.  Also, she leaves her coat and scarf on at Sean's.  Their early chemistry is gone.  Then she said in the previews that she wants to be courted - really?  Then maybe don't sign up for a show that eliminates the entire courting process, sweetheart.   

• Love 2

It's like he wants all the trappings of a "happy life" but doesn't want to put in any work on the relationships that might get him there. The surprise baby might have appealed to him for that reason - he gets to accomplish his goal of starting a family without actually bothering with the smaller steps that often lead there (starting/maintaining a relationship, marriage [for some], discussing and agreeing to try to get pregnant).

He seems more invested in the idea of checking off these life goals than enjoying the journey at all.

(lol, I missed your post upthread, MsPH - I guess I am just echoing you, you already said everything I meant to!)

Edited by girlplease
  • Love 2

On another board, a supposed ex-girlfriend of Sean's posted that he's a habitual liar and offered proof of that as his refusal to believe he snored.

I had to crack up! Most people don't no that they snore unless told otherwise. Also, he admitted that he'd never lived with anyone, so he acknowledged it might be true.

I'm a horrible snorer, but I didn't no that until my now husband & I moved in together before our wedding. Even then I thought he was exaggerating until I was a chaperone on a youth retreat and the woman I shared a bed with told me abt my snoring.

Here are details of what a different poster elsewhere said about Mr. Varricchio.

She/he(?) claims to work with him in the ER department, also being a nurse. She hasn't had any romantic ties to Mr. Varricchio.

• He’s a pathological liar and great manipulator
  • He has misrepresented himself as a doctor
  • The lady who got preggers was not his gf, just a casual hookup
  • He was prepared to be a dad but not willing to have a relationship with the mother
  • He’s a self-proclaimed playboy
  • He was still hooking up with other people in the hospital when baby mama was still preggers
  • Says the lady was still preggers at least by late spring/early summer of 2014
  • He has problematic relationships with women, co-workers and family
  • He hopes to use the show as a springboard to other reality shows like Survivor or Amazing Race
  • Told people his only requisite for a potential mate is that she be a hot piece of a*s

Of course, there's no knowing if any of this is true. But many people have instinctively found him to be creepy and the poster said to trust those feelings when it comes to him.

As with everything on the internet, take it with a grain of salt.

• Love 9