Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Part 8

Kevin recovers at Sally's house after he's robbed. Danny makes a deal with Carlos. John and Marco identify one of the murdered girls.

Please note that you should NOT discuss episodes that are numerically after the one in the thread you are in. Thanks!

Like the previous episode, this one dragged for me through the middle.  But by the end it had become more compelling.  

Pleased to see Meg stand up to Danny.

I strongly dislike Kevin.

Danny is a rotten everything.  Son.  Brother.  Friend.  Any sympathy the show had garnered from me for him is pretty much gone.  I realize they have to set up what's to come but I wouldn't mind a bit more ambiguity.  I'm almost rooting for them to kill him at this point.  

• Love 8

I am rooting for them to kill him.  Danny's not a black sheep anymore, he's a fucking psychopath.  

It won't surprise me now if Robert hurt him and disowned him because he had evidence that Danny drowned Sarah purposely, out of jealousy.  

I didn't really get Kevin's desperation to buy that land, and why he couldn't get his mother to cosign the loan or something.  

Belle's behavior is a little odd, too.  Who goes directly to online dating, right after separating?  

I am rooting for them to kill him.  Danny's not a black sheep anymore, he's a fucking psychopath.  

That made me laugh out loud.  

Belle's behavior is a little odd, too.  Who goes directly to online dating, right after separating?  

It makes me think she was already considering meeting other guys before they officially separated, but I can't say that I blame her.  

• Love 1

Yeah, I guess it's a way for the writers to show us that Belle is not just maybe thinking of divorcing Kevin, she's totally over him and ready to move on to the next thing.  Which, yeah, who can blame her.  What a jerk.  I feel bad for John and Meg for being so normal and stuck with a nutcase and a hothead for brothers.  

I wonder if that girl's phone number in John's shirt pocket is somehow going to come back to haunt him.  Though given he puked on his shirt, I'd think if his wife was going to find it, it would've been quickly.  Though maybe Danny will snatch his phone and place some calls to her on it, and then drop some hints to his wife about it, and we'll see a flashback of her finding the note and tossing it out that night.

Wow. I don't think I've ever been so hooked by a show while so strongly disliking almost all of the characters. Right now, Marco is the only good guy, for me. Meg doesn't deserve him. Danny is now making my skin crawl; like monkey and Winston9, above, I've lost all the sympathy I had for him. Even John has me shaking my head. Listen to your wife, Sheriff! She sees what you can't: your brother Danny is no damn good! (And does anyone else still feel a bit startled every time 'Coach' uses the f-word? Ha!) What a family to marry into...I felt bad for Marcus when he asked Meg to marry him; I had hoped he was going to get away. Now his life too will be All About The Rayburns.

I'm not finding it slow, as some have mentioned...though I'm ready for Danny to get his ass kicked anytime. I like the slow build of tension and all the detail in the story, and the atmosphere of the place. I like watching them ALL make mistakes...so many mistakes. And I'm fascinated by the way they all keep trying to believe in Danny, or give him a pass for all his bad behaviour. It's frustrating to watch, and yet I can totally see how you would hang on with a family member and keep hoping they will change. This show pushes a lot of buttons.

Still disliking Mom/Sally the most. She seems willfully blind, passive aggressive and a pushover; she almost deserves to have her son rob her blind, which I assume he's trying to do. WTH kind of childhood/life-experience did these parents inflict on their kids? It's like they're all stuck together in some nightmare from the past and NO ONE can move on. I hope we get a few answers and it isn't all left until next season. Or is the show suggesting that this is just the nature of family? That family gets its claws into you and just never lets go?

• Love 9

Enough with using the F word in EVERY sentence! I'm no prude, but it's a sign of bad writing when you use the F word or F-ing in every single utterance from Danny, his no good friend, and Kevin, in addition to John who uses it too much too. It's so repetitive that it's super annoying.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Enough with using the F word in EVERY sentence! I'm no prude, but it's a sign of bad writing when you use the F word or F-ing in every single utterance from Danny, his no good friend, and Kevin, in addition to John who uses it too much too. It's so repetitive that it's super annoying.

Poor writing or just the world we live in now.

I was on a college campus last weekend.   I was dismayed to hear the F word in every other utterance from the mouths of young men and women alike.

My 13-year-old neighbor routinely drops F-bombs ... in the presence of his parents, who talk that way too.

It's funny, I'm not that old but old enough to remember when TV seemed downright prudish about language and I used to think, "what's the big deal?"  Now we've swung so far to the other side of the spectrum in such a comparatively short time that I find myself wishing TV could be prudish again.   Profanity makes life ugly.

No one will ever mistake me for a saint when it comes to salty language but they won't confuse me with a sailor either.  

Even so, I think I'm going to drop that particular word (and a few others) from my vocabulary while posting here from now on. 

About the episode -- does anyone tnink Danny's bright enough to have made the leap that a break-in would cause Kevin to lose his bank loan?

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4

I think it was over-used.  There are some people IRL who use it all the time, but not everyone. 

If swearing is right for the character, it makes sense.  So I could accept Danny and Kevin's frequent use of the word.  John, as a detective, probably hears and uses some pretty salty language at times, but there would be times where he would be expected to watch his language.  But who knows?  Since Danny ends up dead, I'm guessing dropping f bombs is the least of the worries.

I always use the movie Midnight Run as my benchmark.  Charles Grodin's character, upstanding accountant, would not (and does not) swear a blue streak.  Robert DeNiro's character, rough and tumble bounty hunter, would and does.  A lot.  But it did not feel gratutious to me.

After the first episode of this show, I wondered what could have happened to make John, Kevin, and Meg decide to kill Danny? After this episode, I'm starting to see why. What a creepy scumbag...no, not even scumbag. He's just evil and bad.

The most tense scene for me was after he brought John home and had the confrontation with Diane. There was so much tension between the 2 of them and I could see that she was scared of him, but holding her ground because she wanted to protect her kids and husband. Just flipping the deadbolt wouldn't have done it for me. In her place I would have called Marco (or someone else) to come stay the night. I would not have felt safe.

• Love 5

About a third of the people I see in online dating listings are listed as separated. I always think "settle your business" but they are there. 

The more I watch this show the more I sense there is something very rotten in the state of Rayburn. Danny is for sure awful,  they keep inviting him back among them. And it's all creepy. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 4

About a third of the people I see in online dating listings are listed as separated. I always think "settle your business" but they are there. 

Really?  Wow.  I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised.  I feel like many people just can't stand to be alone with themselves.  

Finally got to this episode and wow, I can see I'm not the only one who went from "Why kill Danny?" to "Ok, I'm starting to get it." What struck me was how gleeful Danny was when John's wife and daughter saw him in that state. That made me feel like, far from John being the only family member Danny actually cared about, he was the one he wanted to punish the most. Also, I hope this isn't leading to a reveal about Danny being the biological father of John's daughter. No spoilers, please, particularly under the all too tempting spoiler bars. :)

• Love 1

Toward the end of the episode it seemed to me that Mrs. Coach suddenly was speaking with a slight Australian accent.  I looked her up on IMDB and sure enough, she's Aussie.

Who is Danny sending money too, why not cash his hotel paychecks?  I also think it's odd that we dont' really see any grieving for Robert.  I mean they were kinda sad the eppy of his service, and then that seemed to be it.

• Love 3

I strongly dislike Kevin.

That beating was brutal and he completely had my empathy.  Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I can't recall any of his actions warranting that level of malice. 

• Love 6

I'm seeing a chicken/egg kind of conundrum here.

Did Danny become a sneaky psychopath because Daddy beat him after he accidently caused the drowning of his sister? OR

Did Daddy beat Danny because he was a sneaky psychopath who not so accidently caused the drowning of his sister?

The show is leading us to the first conclusion, so far, but it might be a twist that it was actually the second. I am suspicious of drowning deaths in families like this. These kids were born on an island, surrounded by water and boats. They were the kind of kids about whom it is said, "they could swim before they could walk." I'm sure Sarah could swim.

I am currently reading a book about a suspicious drowning at a boy's school, where the kid who drowned was an expert swimmer, because he was a weakling who was using swimming as a way to build himself up. Right now it's only thought that the other kids only failed to save him, but I'm pretty sure it will turn out to be murder.

Also..where is Meg's testimony? I know she was the youngest but she still would have been questioned. We haven't seen any Meg related flashbacks yet.

• Love 3

Well, I figured Danny was no good because of the voice-over at the very beginning of the first episode. He has been different levels of creepy ever since. I don't know if he's a psychopath, because he does seem to carry remorse for Sarah's death. (The fact that he conjures her (or perhaps she's always there in his head, but we the audience don't always see her. Also, in Part 7, when he was in a drug induced trance, the exchange he and John had where John told him maybe he was telling himself it was an accident.) But, whatever his psychological profile, he is a mean, angry, bitter, vengeful, manipulative creep. As well as a sneak, liar and criminal. I get the heebie-jeebies whenever he is in a scene, so I guess the actor is doing a great job.

Did Danny become a sneaky psychopath because Daddy beat him after he accidently caused the drowning of his sister? OR
Did Daddy beat Danny because he was a sneaky psychopath who not so accidently caused the drowning of his sister?

Really interesting point. Right now, I could go either way.

I was especially creeped out during the scene at John and Diana's house. He wanted the family to see John drunk, to shame John. His manner with Janie was inappropriate and creepy (I keep coming back to that word). He was subtly threatening to Diana. I couldn't wait for that scene to be over. Let's not forget he tried to sow the seeds of jealousy by intimating to John that Diana was attracted to him way back when. It seems like he's paying all the family back for what they did or did not do to/for him, and furthermore, he can't stand for any of them to be happy. What a piece of work.

About the episode -- does anyone tnink Danny's bright enough to have made the leap that a break-in would cause Kevin to lose his bank loan?

Yes, I think Danny's quite smart, quite cunning at least. Whether he knew enough about that situation to have had that in mind as an extra knife twist, I couldn't say. I can't recall who knew about Kevin's plans.

I didn't really get Kevin's desperation to buy that land, and why he couldn't get his mother to cosign the loan or something.

From what I recall, the other buyer wanted to put up a yacht club that was going to hurt his business, or even put him out of business. Also, he said he didn't want someone spoiling the area with high-rise condos. I get his point, because it does seem like a more unspoiled place right now.

Almost forgot a scary moment - was that actually a knife Danny had in his hand when he came up behind John outside the car? Another car went by, and we then saw Danny holding an ignition key, the kind with a long shaft. I don't know if it was trickery by the show, or if Danny had been about to stab John and had to back down because of passing cars.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 5
On 4/24/2015 at 9:26 AM, DeLurker said:

I think it was over-used.  There are some people IRL who use it all the time, but not everyone. 

If swearing is right for the character, it makes sense.  So I could accept Danny and Kevin's frequent use of the word.  John, as a detective, probably hears and uses some pretty salty language at times, but there would be times where he would be expected to watch his language.  But who knows?  Since Danny ends up dead, I'm guessing dropping f bombs is the least of the worries.

What struck me was that Marco used the f-bomb in the marriage proposal!  Definitely seemed inappropriate to me!

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 0:33 PM, Jodithgrace said:

I'm seeing a chicken/egg kind of conundrum here.

Yes! This is what keeps me watching. Did Danny come back intending to create all this chaos, or was the escalation spurred by the death of Papa Rayburn, which meant both no big promised payday for leaving AND the removal of the menacing specter of the guy who beat him as a kid? Did he come back because he had nowhere else to go or because he wanted to raise hell and get his vengeance? The actor is incredible - the sweet, helpful façade with his mom is chilling now that we know what he is capable of behind the scenes.

• Love 4