Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Aisha

Even though I've been enjoying the Slap, this was better than the last couple of episodes. We got a violent shove back into the plot, which was nice.

Gary must read these threads because he finally told Rosie about herself. Rosie revealed that she's gone in the brain. "I'm the only parent he has". Whoa. Not only was that hurtful, but there's not a lot of coming back from that one. Gary, you see what she thinks of you.

Connie needs to go play in traffic. Way to alienate your best and seemingly only friend, chick. Congrats. "You're scared of me". Sweetie ain't nobody scared of your sway-backed flat ass. You don't have a motherfucking "S" on your chest and a cape.You didn't see shit so you're really not doing a damn thing.

Aisha and her dirty secret. I knew there was something about her I didn't like, and apparently she's banging Mark Ruf-faux-lo.

Hector still seems like he hasn't had a good BM in awhile. For real, Hector just seems stressed out. He seems like he's in desperate need of a long weekend in the country with no cell phone and not worrying about day-to-day shit. Ugh, maybe I am too, because just writing that sounds nice.

Now I wish Sandi had her own episode. I'd guessed that he "paid" for hitting her in other ways, and she kind of proved it. Sandi knows what she's doing. Well, maybe.

• Love 7

I know that all these side stories about the characters are linked to the issue of the slap itself, and normally, I wouldn't mind them.  But this is a limited series and so much of it feels like filler.  So Aisha was a wild child in her youth.  Big deal.  Hector is ridiculous with his midlife crisis, but it doesn't mean that Aisha should try to hook up with a former flame.  Even if the guy was hot.

Rosie and Gary continue to suck as parents, but you can tell things are unraveling.  They both made good points.  Gary admitted that Rosie's crusade has gone too far, but Rosie is right in that she really is the only one who takes care of Hugo.  I don't know if Hugo has always had behavioral issues, or if Gary just doesn't want to be a father, but either way, it's not Hugo's fault.  Gary can't just lock himself in room and paint when things get tough.  Hugo will still be there.

Richie was spot on in his conversation with Connie.  She didn't have the right to volunteer his name or his photographs without discussing it with him first.  She's letting her personal shit with Hector cloud her judgment.  Don't blame Richie at all for being angry.

I wish we had a standalone episode on Sandi instead of Anouk, because I don't know why Anouk is even a factor here.  I found Sandi's scene with Aisha very interesting, knowing that she's not going to let them force Aisha to be a witness.  But moreover, the whole "Harry has dearly paid for that night and can't afford to hit me again" really intrigued me.  I wonder if he just buys her things, or she's blackmailing him.  Or maybe she's just in denial.  

• Love 6

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .... sorry there I nodded off because it was so boring, though not as boring as the Connie episode.

Unhinged nutjob Rosie is back. And tries to involve Richie in the trial.  Gary can barely stand Rosie anymore.  Whatever happened to Hugo being evaluated by a psychiatrist ?  Because if the trial starts next week, that should probably happen beforehand.

Aisha nearly bangs her old fuck buddy from medical school.

Hector confesses his kiss with Connie to Aisha -- Aisha confesses she nearly banged her buddy from medical school (who was lying about being divorced), and she most certainly kissed him.   So call it even.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

Agree,27bored and Amethyst, Sandi should have had her own episode.  She has a lot more at stake than Anouk.

I just don't see what is so great about Hector, seems nice enough but like so many everyday people.  He is ordinary.  I am still ticked off at the way the family reacted to the Greek lawyer, they acted like they were so much more moral than him.  They don't want get their hands dirty but they want their problem to go away.

I thought Sandi had Aisha's back and I don't really think she even said thank you to her.

The potential for this show has been squandered, it could have been so much better.

• Love 3

It was weirdly perfect how little screen time Aisha got in her own episode. And I was howling when Gary had his speech about how meaning in art should be left entirely up to the viewer; "All you have to do is take the pictures."

Speaking of which - what IS Richie hiding? He is so shy about these photos, and also acting like he doesn't know how to delete any of the ones he doesn't want to be seen. They have been so hyped at this point it better be an accidental bigfoot sighting or something. If he's just worried that he took too many photos of whichever dad he's crushing on and it would look conspicuous - hey, we've all been there.

• Love 1

Isn't it a basic rule of etiquette that, in a small group, you don't start talking in a language that only some people understand?  I keep waiting for someone to mention that.  I went back to wanting to slap Hector's mother for talking about Aisha right in front of her.  That family doesn't deserve her loyalty because they aren't loyal to her.  I hope she volunteers to take the stand and tells all. 

I can't figure Aisha out.  Why was she ready to cheat on her own husband, but not willing to cheat on the hot one's wife? Why is she feeling guilty about doing drugs during her internship because she might have killed herself, but doesn't seem worried that she might have killed some innocent patient? 

• Love 4
Why was she ready to cheat on her own husband, but not willing to cheat on the hot one's wife?

I can see that -- if he's unattached, she's "only" cheating on her husband and that's between her and him.  Bringing a second innocent victim into it added a dimension of reality that made her stop and reconsider.   She was willing to be a cheater, but not "the other woman."   

Random mom in the park was pretty blase about Hugo manhandling her son's truck, wasn't she?  I mean, they're not toddlers playing tug of war with a plastic bucket at the beach - Hugo's way too fucking old to be grabbing other kids' toys, especially one that could mess a kid's face up pretty good if it got pulled away the wrong way.  

Does Hector know that Harry hit his wife and Aisha knows about it, or was she keeping that secret from him?  I doubt it's a secret between them because he wanted her to lie, though maybe Harry doesn't know she knows?   Kudos to Mrs. Harry for sparing her.  

Obviously camera boy has seeeekrits, but that camera was in everybody's face all day long.  Not only should he have come forward before this, I don't know why both sides didn't demand whatever photos he had the next day, if only to make sure they don't make statements that "the other side" can contradict with photo evidence.   Maybe he's in love with Gary?     

• Love 1

I just don't see what is so great about Hector, seems nice enough but like so many everyday people.  He is ordinary.  

Yeah, I think Aisha had blinders on back then, or she was just desperate for someone to save her from her crazy lifestyle.  Hector is a nice guy, but he's incredibly nondescript and has no real personality.  He's not overly kind, or smart, or charming.  He's beige.

Speaking of which - what IS Richie hiding? He is so shy about these photos, and also acting like he doesn't know how to delete any of the ones he doesn't want to be seen. 

I just don't think Ritchie wants to be associated with any of this mess because it could jeopardize his chances of getting into BSU or wherever it was.  He clearly perked up when Gary said he wanted to show the pictures to the faculty, and if Gary and Rosie's trial paints them as the bad guys, then Ritchie can't use Gary as a reference or anything else.  We'll probably find out what's going on in Ritchie's episode in a few weeks.

Isn't it a basic rule of etiquette that, in a small group, you don't start talking in a language that only some people understand?  I keep waiting for someone to mention that.  I went back to wanting to slap Hector's mother for talking about Aisha right in front of her.  

Yep, it's very rude.  It's only accepted (I think) when the person legitimately doesn't know the language and can only speak their own.  Sucks that the mother is back to being a bitch and Manolis has more depth.  But I do think it's weird that Aisha has been married to Hector for at least a decade and still doesn't know any Greek.  

Speaking of Manolis, I wish we had seen the part when Sandi told him the truth about Harry hitting her.  Not only does it confirm that Harry has a history of violent behavior, but he flat out lied to Manolis about it.

• Love 1

I watched the first episode of the Australian version and thought the family talked more Greek than in the US version.  I think I like it a little better.  Well Hector is better and played Anthony La Paglia.

• Love 1

I watched the first episode of the Australian version and thought the family talked more Greek than in the US version.  I think I like it a little better.  Well Hector is better and played Anthony La Paglia.

Where were you able to find the Australian version? Would love to see it :)

But I do think it's weird that Aisha has been married to Hector for at least a decade and still doesn't know any Greek.

Are we sure?  She's one smart cookie.  Maybe she knows it's better to keep what little she understands to herself.

Isn't it a basic rule of etiquette that, in a small group, you don't start talking in a language that only some people understand?

I feel that way...but I never point it out when I'm in the situation.  I live in an area where a lot of Spanish is spoken.  If I'm speaking English around Spanish speakers I try to speak slowly or use gestures to hope everyone understands.  It's just different with various cultures and generations.

Edited by Former Nun

I can't figure Aisha out.  Why was she ready to cheat on her own husband, but not willing to cheat on the hot one's wife? Why is she feeling guilty about doing drugs during her internship because she might have killed herself, but doesn't seem worried that she might have killed some innocent patient? 

I thought that was bizarre too.  Then I started thinking that Aisha was most bugged by the planned deceit:  that HotDoc had taken off his ring way in advance in the hope of seducing Aisha.  It was not so much his being married, it was his lying, planning and scheming.  (BTW why is Aisha the only character who doesn't get the pretentious VO during her episode?)

Having said that, I still don't like her.  In fact I don't like anyone on this show except for Sandi.  

In fact I find this show really bad.  Saddest line that kind of summed it all up for me:  "Let's just go back to Brooklyn."

• Love 1

I just don't think Ritchie wants to be associated with any of this mess because it could jeopardize his chances of getting into BSU or wherever it was.  He clearly perked up when Gary said he wanted to show the pictures to the faculty, and if Gary and Rosie's trial paints them as the bad guys, then Ritchie can't use Gary as a reference or anything else.  We'll probably find out what's going on in Ritchie's episode in a few weeks.

Ritchie doesn't get his own episode, nor does Sandi. We're down to the last two.

My hubs and I didn't understand Aisha's reaction to the ring. It was ok to mess around on her husband but not if the dude was married? I thought it was more about her "friend" lying to her than it was about him being married.

Edited by KarmaG
  • Love 1

I haven't seen any evidence that Aisha is particularly smart except for the fact that she got through medical school. There are certainly smarter ways for her to handle these messed-up personal relationships, but she doesn't show much insight. I laughed out loud when she called Connie "naive". Connie may be careless, but she's not innocent.

I watched the first episode of the Australian version and it did absolutely nothing for me. YMMV

• Love 1

When is the last episode?  Anyway, this episode just confirmed how much I hate Aisha.  She really thinks she is better than everyone else, even though her best friends are nasty looking nuts.   Someone clean up Rosie and please take Hugo for a haircut before the trial.  I understand Connie being friendly with these people she babysits for them but why is Richie so friendly with them.  Connie always dragged him along?  I thought Sandy getting Aisha off the hook was really admirable and Aisha hardly cared, I don't think she even thanked her.  I also don't understand why it is ok for her to be married but not her former lover and why would he keep the ring in his pocket, why wouldn't he put it away somewhere.  Connie, Aisha and Rosie, all pretty much needed a Harry slap in this episode.   Let's get to the trial already please!

• Love 3

Isn't it a basic rule of etiquette that, in a small group, you don't start talking in a language that only some people understand?  I keep waiting for someone to mention that.  I went back to wanting to slap Hector's mother for talking about Aisha right in front of her.

You'd think so, but people do it all the time.  My dad and his sisters used to have long conversations in Finnish which my brother and I and more to the point our mother couldn't understand.  And my mother and her sister and in-laws used to do the same with Spanish (my mother and her sister were Irish, BTW, the sister was married to a Mexican and she and my mother spoke it fluently enough to be mistaken for Argentinian).  I would have thought both my mother and my father would have learned more of the "other" language, but no.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

Anyway, this episode just confirmed how much I hate Aisha.  She really thinks she is better than everyone else, even though her best friends are nasty looking nuts.

Ditto.  Hate her attitude.  She definitely thinks she is above all her in-laws when the truth is they suck, she sucks, and her friends suck (although Anouk at least has called out Rosie that "the Slap" probably wouldn't have happened if one of the parents had done their job and interceded). 

• Love 4

Why do they need Richie's pictures?  No one is disputing that Harry slapped Hugo.  Does he have pic of Hugo swinging that bat at the other kids and them backing away? 

It was very satisfying for me to hear Gary tell Rosie about herself.  I don't know what Rosie's damage is, but there must be a reason why she is so...over-protective and over-indulgent of Hugo.

Whenever Hugo appears, I start to laugh. The show has made him into a whirling dervish caricature. Hugo is Mowgli, the feral child from The Jungle Book stories.

Why on EARTH was he playing with a pop gun in that scene at home? Yeah, mama Rosie is missing a few brain cells but what's daddy Gary's excuse for furnishing his hyperactive, nonempathetic kid with a toy-weapon?

I hope the actor who plays Hugo is being protected on set, at least. He's a Shia La Boeuf in the making.

Speaking of kids, I can't stand Aisha and Hector' s two either. Always fighting over something, always hyper. Parents who spoil them with material crap and ignore them in the ways that count. I just loved how Aisha melodramatically returned home from a hard day at the clinic, after diagnosing a patient with HIV, saying farewell to Connie (sniff!)only to drag herself into her fabu brownstone, peck each child on his/her lips, then announce to Hector that she must take a BAHth, as she pulled herself up the stairs. Woe is she.

I though Aisha' s back story was cliched and unimaginative -- especially the capper that it was the good and noble Hector who saved her from herself. Ha.

The role of Hector is the first time ever that I can't bear Peter Sarsgaard on screen. At least we didn't get JAzzzzzzzzzz this episode.

And yeah, I'm not understanding how Richie fits in with Gary. In episode one, teen temptress Connie drags HS bff Richie to Hectors party. I thought she introduced him to everybody there? I don't remember the Greek chorus exploding with cheer and familiarity to see their old friend Rich? I probably missed it.

I don't know. So far, Harry's slap, his extramaritals, his hair-trigger demeanor with his wife, his annoyance with the lack of easy parking on the streets of Brooklyn are the only signs of life in this disappointing show. Everybody else seems to be bogged down, suspended in a big ball of boredom and stupor and torpor. Truly depressing. To me, an annoying and unlikable bunch.

• Love 4