Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E18: Status Update

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

That was fun! Loved all the bits of humor (especially Leon "trying" to call Gibbs back in MTAC), McGee and what's her name work-flirting with Tony and Bishop commenting on the sidelines, Tony calling Tim "honey" (!!!), and Gibbs making tool jokes. Then you had McGee and Delilah with some serious sparkage (more than I remember seeing between them before--which ep did they meet in, anyway?) and that great showdown with the terrorist and them completely missing with their codewords but Delilah pulling out the almost-save by listening to Gibbs' Rules.

Just a really good example of the overall excellence of the post-Ziva era.

• Love 7

Love your entire post and I couldn't agree more on all points.

The only thing I didn't like about the episode (other than not understand where the chick who needed a place to stay came from) was when the NCIS team opened the door to find Delilah's on the other side and they're all yelling at each other to drop it, which was taken directly from the episode where Tony and Ziva were pretending to be married assassins and they have a "drop it!!" moment with the FBI crew watching them.

Yep! She said the serious issues are now in the U.S. so it makes more sense for her to come back and work from DC. McGee looked so happy that Gibbs told them to "Get a room" and Delilah told McGee (rather flirtatiously), "I have one." LOL.

Love your entire post and I couldn't agree more on all points.

The only thing I didn't like about the episode (other than not understand where the chick who needed a place to stay came from)

She came from the minds of the writers who wanted to write a plot involving Mcgee and Delilah having problems but couldn't think of any other way to jumpstart the tension without making Mcgee go completely out of character and flirt with a woman at work (all sorts of complications there) despite the fact that he's in a committed relationship and has never been the horndog type. Now, Tony and the agent flirting despite the fact he's in a committed relationship (with some girl we never see) would have been much more believable as he's somebody that would do something like that.

Having Delila being in a deep cover op is another thing I didn't like. I know equal opportunity and that it's just an excuse by the writers to have her involved directly in the episode, but you don't make a blind man watch security video looking for perps, you don't have a deaf man listen to security tapes for evidence, and you don't have a wheelchair bound DOD agent working deep cover operations where she could easily get shot or the suspect could run away or both, especially if it's someone that could find her even at a safehouse.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 4

I liked this episode; moreso than the last episode with DiNozzo Sr. Love Delilah stabbing Malik and I agree there was some serious sparkage between she and Tim. I do think the flirting between Agent Larson and Tim was a little weird, but not inconceivable. I thought the whole thing with Agent Ali (?) was a little weird, but whatever.

Happy Delilah is going to be back! I have liked her a lot, so I'm glad they're ending the long distance and bringing her back to DC (and not breaking them up).

Vance was hilarious this episode.

• Love 2

"Social media is a cesspool of questionable human behaviour".

Imma put that in a t-shirt.

For a wild minute there, I was hoping that Delila had turned for real, were actually a traitor. Of course, that would've been awful for McGee but I'm a sucker for plot twists.

Still, is good that she's back home.

Also, in the opening scene, at was laughing at the soon-to-be victim, bragging about her so called smarts and skills, yet dumb enough to stand with her back to the opening garage door, im the dark, and close it without even checking. I guess being a criminal hersel, she was overconfident.

• Love 1

Having Delila being in a deep cover op is another thing I didn't like. I know equal opportunity and that it's just an excuse by the writers to have her involved directly in the episode, but you don't make a blind man watch security video looking for perps, you don't have a deaf man listen to security tapes for evidence, and you don't have a wheelchair bound DOD agent working deep cover operations where she could easily get shot or the suspect could run away or both, especially if it's someone that could find her even at a safehouse.

Yes, I have to remind myself that there's a certain amount of handwaving that I have to do with Delilah.  Opportunity and capability are two different things.  Delilah has to be given the opportunity to do her job, but she also has to show capability in the situation.  Head her own team?  Absolutely.  Interact with the guy on social media?  Absolutely.  Be used as bait?  No.  And the safehouse happens to be wheelchair-accessible?  That's handy, but not likely.  Apartment buildings are still not required to be accessible.  I'm glad she's back in the States, too.  It's a much more plausible scenario in terms of her disability.  To be stationed in Dubai, she would have to show that she was the only candidate with the skills to do that job.

I applaud Delilah and I nash my teeth about her all at the same time.  It's fantastic that she's got advanced degrees and that she's now a team leader.  It's entirely plausible that she could be stationed anywhere in the U.S., Canada, Western Europe, and probably Australia.  However, the accommodations that come with living and traveling abroad cost money, and the U.S. government would very likely not pay them if it had an analyst with Delilah's skill set that could walk.  The likelihood of her being posted to Dubai is theoretically possible but so remote that it ventures into "too perfect" territory.  I always wished that Gary had written Deliah as being posted to the West Coast of the U.S. or Toronto or possibly a Western European city that wasn't in Italy.  (Italy's a lovely nation, but it's not a particulary accessible one.)

Dubai is such a new city that I would think that accommodations for disabilities would have been built into most of the buildings in the city. It's only when you get to older cities like London or Istanbul that you would have problems if you're in a wheelchair (I was really shocked at the amount of non-navigable obstacles I saw when walking around London a few years ago).

Agent Larson sure came out of left field, didn't she?  I mean, we all seem to complain that there must be other NCIS agents in DC (or LA for that matter), but we never see them, and then "ta-da!" here comes one waltzing right in to sleep on McGee's couch.  Odd.

Kudos for kind of keeping us guessing all through the show, regarding Delilah.  Is she?  Isn't she?  Then, at the end, I started wondering if she'd had some miracle cure while in Dubai and was going to stand up and kick some ass, but nope.  She went all bad ass anyways, which was better.  Love to see her continuing/developing relationship with McGee, now that he's over his kid gloves issues.

Speaking of McGee, I had some of the USA network NCIS marathon burbling on in the background as I was doing chores over the weekend, and there was a lot of Seasons one and two showing.  McGee really has had quite the story arc, hasn't he?  I like how he stands up to Tony now (and how proud Tony is that he does that) and asserts himself confidently as a good agent.  This is actually quite believable, considering how raw and new and lacking in self-esteem (other than tech-geek) he was when he started at NCIS as probie.  Nicely done, show.  Nicely done.

• Love 1

Dubai is such a new city that I would think that accommodations for disabilities would have been built into most of the buildings in the city. It's only when you get to older cities like London or Istanbul that you would have problems if you're in a wheelchair (I was really shocked at the amount of non-navigable obstacles I saw when walking around London a few years ago).

Admittedly, I will never see Dubai in my lifetime.  Using "House Hunters International" as a frame of reference, you're right.  Dubai is very new, but the apartments that I saw were pretty small.  Not a lot of turning radius.  Wheelchairs and small spaces do not often make a great pair.

I went to London once but didn't have a lot of time to sightsee.  From your description, I apparently didn't miss much. :)

Speaking of McGee, I had some of the USA network NCIS marathon burbling on in the background as I was doing chores over the weekend, and there was a lot of Seasons one and two showing.  McGee really has had quite the story arc, hasn't he?  I like how he stands up to Tony now (and how proud Tony is that he does that) and asserts himself confidently as a good agent.  This is actually quite believable, considering how raw and new and lacking in self-esteem (other than tech-geek) he was when he started at NCIS as probie.  Nicely done, show.  Nicely done

I was thinking last night how much I've enjoyed the consistency of the Tony and Tim friendship over the years, except for those stretches of seasons when the writers/showrunners would completely forget that they have great chemistry and constantly kept them apart by pairing them up with the women on the show.

From "Sub Rosa," Tim's first episode, they always had a fun vibe together. Two of my favorite episodes from the entire season were the stakeout episodes, one from season 1 where the two of them really learn a lot about each other and the other from season 5, where they already know too much about each other and get on each other's nerves to no end (I love their fight over breakfast burritos!). Kate intimidated Tim, but he had no problem giving Tony grief even before he was officially on the team ("Welcome to the wonderful world of DiNozzo...").

Loved this..loved the chemistry of the whole team. Vance getting pissy with Homeland...and even Abby seemed calmer...Great episode...and great fun...

I just hope..just once..that Tony will crack a Tom Jones reference when talking about Delilah..

Agent Larson is a repeat character. Season 3 Family Secret....Tony was flirting via Tim's e-mail/messenger trying to talk her into a date.  Instead she went out with Timmy because he was such a good loyal friend. 

This season is so refreshing without all the interpersonal tension.  Its like they are finally working together as a team as opposed to trying to one up the other.  I love the big brother, little sister vibe I get from Tony and Ellie.  The teasing among the team is friendly without the edge that came with it in previous years.

• Love 2

Agent Larson is a repeat character. Season 3 Family Secret....Tony was flirting via Tim's e-mail/messenger trying to talk her into a date.  Instead she went out with Timmy because he was such a good loyal friend. 

Wasn't she the one who Tony was sending supportive emails supposedly from McGee because she was going to charge him (Tony) with sexual harassment?

The WRITERS of NCIS this past season have come up with, what I feel, outlandish scripts to try to make a story fit!  (1st one was the 1st episode this season and what followed-Yet another person trying to get back at Gibbs (for doing his job.) Of course, not by hurting or killing Jethro, but by hurting, no, killing those CLOSE to Jethro! (Never mind that Gibbs is not married, No siblings, parents dead, no living children, no real friends outside of work..... ) But, there is that storyline.. YET again.. with a PERSON we never heard of before that episode-but, of course, later on in the season, of course, break out Ancestry.com and everything comes clear! (Terrorist was the product of 1 jewish father, 1 arab mother.. oh, wait, didn't Ziva's half bro have the same situation? Then this guy MUST be related to Ari (?) (and, I guess, Ziva-once removed?)..

But last night? I guess people have been asking 'Where's Delilah'? So, they, the writers came up with this ridiculous script of Delilah going DEEP uncover as a DOD agent who is p*ssed off at the gov't because she became wheelchair bound due to the gov't fault! Of course, the guy she is dealing with is the brother of the guy who injured her! Now, are WE, the viewers supposed to believe that this terrorist would not google, PAY someone, (and everything else Terrorists do) to check out 'Pistachios story'?  How hard would it be in REAL life to find out who Pistachio really was?? (as in, how many people working for the Gov't are wheelchair bound? Because of an accident,? And are female and Delilah's age? ) Unless the terrorist was a moron, he would have found out who Delilah was, and that she was in that W.C. because of his brother! (AND her undercover story? She added 'real life ' things-i.e. She was having problems with her BF-a NCIS AGENT?? ). She should have been suspended along with her boss for screwing up!

I also find it ridiculous that Delilah was now promoted to 'Team Leader'-1st-her age! 2nd-because it seems that they do undercover work! Yes, I know it is a TV SHOW, but one that models itself after real life agencies! How does a T.L protect her members if she cannot get to certain place or get there as fact as others? ALSO, the 'threats' are now here, so she is transferred back to the U.S. The treats have always been HERE! (duh!)..

Okay, NCIS is  a tv show, not real life.. so they, the writers feel that they can have a female 20 something team leader.. OK.. but what really gets me is that they have had Delilah, in her wheelchair in places where there is either no ramp or no elevator.. Like that apartment last night on the 2nd floor! Of course, people will say that ICE picked her up and carried her.. but, Malik(sp?) did not know about ICE.. thought she was coming alone. So, how was she supposed to get up those stairs by herself? If they, NCIS, are going to have a wheelchair bound person, then deal with that person correctly!

This was an odd ep for me. Lots of really good things, like having Delilah back , Vance was really good, Tony and Bishop double act at the beginning was really funny and so was Gibbs. And for the first time i noticed real chemistry between McGee and Delilah, they just didn't click before. I don't know why but they came across more as friends than lovers.

But the case was weird and i would think very expensive and the only person in the whole world that reacted to this guy was Delilah. Surely there must have been an easier way to stop this whack job. Instead we have a task force , undercover agents and NCIS joining in. That was just too much. Plus Delilah boss are we serious here, how would he even get employed let alone be a boss of a multi inter agency task force. None of that worked for me, but Delilah is back and McGee is happy.

I love Delilah, and honestly I have no problems with her being a boss or team leader in her own field.  I don't work for any government agency of course and don't understand the logistics, but I figure if she's good at her job then she deserves the promotion.  Obviously she was good enough to have been honored at the event in which she was later injured last season.  She was assigned more duties abroad.  I don't know if her job involves a lot of physical action, although we did see her take down her assailant in this episode, or if this new job is more about analysis, something more cerebral.  I'm glad she's back in D.C. regardless.  

This was the first episode that I really believed McGee and Delilah had that "spark," and that was great to see.  The rest of the characters in this episode were great as well.

This was the first episode that I really believed McGee and Delilah had that "spark," and that was great to see.  The rest of the characters in this episode were great as well.

I agree. I always had trouble with the pairing, mainly because the two actors really didn't do a good job of selling it, IMO. But, in this ep, I became a believer. First, they bickered like a couple, then they made up like a couple.

I just hope the plotline with Delilah means she'll be on the show more ... I really like the actress.

I was wondering why Delilah kept looking so familiar so I finally googled her and found out she was Tawny on one of my fav tween shows "Even Stevens." She looks great!

Excited to see more of Delilah but hope her relationship with Tim doesn't consume the show. The writers have done a good job keeping everyone's relationship low profile this season, and letting the cases and the relationship with the team shine more. It's been very nice.

Vance was hilarious this episode.

clearly behind with the season, but just catching up. Both Vance with the half-hearted whisper-yell "Oh! Gibbs.... Stop." was hilarious. But I also busted right out at: "My feelings aren't easily hurt, but I don't think he knew who I was."  badumbump

This season is so refreshing without all the interpersonal tension.  Its like they are finally working together as a team as opposed to trying to one up the other.  I love the big brother, little sister vibe I get from Tony and Ellie.  The teasing among the team is friendly without the edge that came with it in previous years.

Still enjoying the "Ish" nickname. Love it!